• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Kev Kev

Day two and I’m already a few more bad ass moments away from saying this is the best Halo campaign ever.

As soon as I turned it on this morning I started feeling that. It’s like a gut intuition that you know you’re playing something that’s going to be memorable. Had the same feeling with BioShock, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, RE7, and so many more of my all time favorite games.

I just dropped a Razorback and loaded it up with 5 marines. After taking out a few enemies and collecting some stuff, I noticed my marines had picked up some weapons from the enemies we killed. So now, I’ve got one marine with a Skewer, one with a rocket launcher, two with shotguns and one with a BR.

AND WE ARE FUCKING UNSTOPPABLE MUAHAHAHAH

Holy shit this game is good, ok fuck you guys back to Halo!!

woo-yeah.gif

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey people, which difficulty would you recommend? I enjoy challenges but don't enjoy bullet spongey enemies.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Heh Cyberpunk is a thing

Look at the newest pictures of Stalker. Cyberpunk doesn't compare. Cyberpunk was also made to accommodate last gen. Im running Cyberpunk on a 3080ti paired with a Samsung QN90A. I've seen its best presentation in person. Halo looks great for what it is. Im enjoying the hell out of it. Wish I could call off and play all day.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

it is insane how fun the grappling hook is. i have been playing the campaign non stop since yesterday. i use the hook prety much for everything now. not only it is a great combat and verdical traversal tool but i also use it for getting in and out of cover and walking faster etc.

story wise so far, i could do less with cortana stuff. honestly i do not care how sexual chief got with that sexy blue ai but i respect if you do.

i don't know man, it is really really good (on heroic difficulty). i have never played 4 or guardians before and infinite kinda made wanna play them as well. am i better off?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Hey people, which difficulty would you recommend? I enjoy challenges but don't enjoy bullet spongey enemies.
Normal seems about right for me so far. At most, maybe 1 step above that. But I'm a FPS noob. Died a few times near the beginning, but I'm kind of just testing the boundaries of the shield and enemy HP etc. Also ran out of ammo faster than I expected.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

normal is pretty easy, but even then ill have moments where shit gets intense or a boss goes HAM on me. id say stick with normal. id hate to play on heroic and get stuck on bosses or certain parts of the game where things get hectic. i hate difficulty spikes like that. on normal ill die 2 or 3 times and then finally come up with a good strategy to take them out. i imagine the bosses and situations will continue to get more difficult towards the end game, so ill be happy with picking normal then as well, im sure.

Sygma

Look at the newest pictures of Stalker. Cyberpunk doesn't compare. Cyberpunk was also made to accommodate last gen. Im running Cyberpunk on a 3080ti paired with a Samsung QN90A. I've seen its best presentation in person. Halo looks great for what it is. Im enjoying the hell out of it. Wish I could call off and play all day.

Cyberpunk is an actually released games and given how much of a development hell the first Stalker was im going to be more than cautious on the graphical end, screens are just screens. Besides I highly doubt that any game will look better than CP 2077 cranked up when you take in account the full map

BigLee74

I don’t understand folk who aren’t impressed with the visuals. I love the clean look, the material textures and just the overall art style of this halo.

Gunplay is sublime, and unlike in MP, all weapons are actually viable.

I admit I did rush through the second level a bit just so I could see the open world, but I fully intend to slow down now and drink this in.

Best bit for me was after dying in a big battle, the grunt that got the killing hit on me started singing ‘I did it, I did it!’. 😂😂 wee bastard!

(actually very surprised at the quantity of enemy dialog, haven’t actually noticed any annoying repeated phrases yet).

Last edited:

Hugare

Something that is really bothering me is the dissonance between the seriousness in cutscenes and the cheesiness during gameplay

Grunts screaming "funny" stuff and running for their lifes in a goofy way takes me out of the experience fast

I know that it's a Halo thing since forever, but when you are trying to tell a serious, emotional story, it doesnt gel well

Embrace the cheese then, dont try to be serious in a moment and corny 1 minute after

The dialogue for the main vilain, oh God ... It's so, so bad

Last edited:

Wvrs

I won't be able to play for a while. Anyone who's finished, without spoilers - does this feel like a full self-contained campaign story or just part one of a decade-long experience to be, padded out by open world exploration? Is it a movie or season one?

Last edited:

Interfectum

Love the game so far, my first Halo game since Reach but... what the fuck did 343 do to the story of this franchise? I watched a re-cap of Halo 4 (meh) and Halo 5 (WTF LOL) and it feels like 5 year old fanfic. I almost which Infinite had been a total reboot.

So far the story in this doesn't seem too bad... villain is a bit much but I enjoy cheesy melodrama from time to time.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Eurogamer needs to show us on the doll where Halo Infinite hurt them. It's been a daily shit on Halo article there.
I feel this article is more than valid, give it's Brian Jarrard himself advising people not to use the feature if playing through the campaign. They have had long enough to fix this given reviewers were given a month to play through the game

Interfectum

So, about five hours in now. Reasonably confident this will be my game of the year, by some distance.

Not a huge Halo nerd, but personally think the switch to semi-open world is a good thing. Game feels more up to date.

And the grapple mechanic is the best mechanic in any game I've played recently.
Yeah, I was leaning towards Metroid Dread as my GOTY but I'm thinking this game takes it. I've already put more time into Infinite than most other games this year anyway and I'm just starting the single player.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i'm playing on normal but i'm still dying a lot. well i was running in trying to kill everything quickly but once i slowed down a bit i was doing better but you can still die easily. start off with normal (the game is balanced around it) and if it's too easy then crank it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tg89

So since this morning everytime I go to play Halo from Gamepass it just opens the MS Store?

I dunno how Microsoft is so incapable of making an app that isn't trash.

TrebleShot

I must admit, switching over to DV made a big difference, the game has some nice visuals in the open world and can't be judged on the opening missions.
I think really the gameplay is king here and music, its very fun to play, I had to crank up sensitivity and am playing on heroic as people suggested and its a real treat to play.

Absolute fair play to MS, hoping its not a huge campaign, nice tight 8-10 hours and im happy.

Played up until the grunts started rising up through the floor and I gotta say, this game is awesome! The gameplay is on point but Legendary is brutal. I might switch to heroic and collect everything then go back to legendary once the level select is in place.

the forerunner architecture is on point and very reminiscent of Halo 1-3. The dialog is also fantastic as well as the setup.

I used the df settings but the game run like crap on a 2070super\8600k at 1440p, i thought it was something on my end but then i readed the 5 pages performance topic on reeee and 95% of people is having crap performance all around, people with a 3070 can't play at rock solid 60 at 1080p, but in general performances are all over the place, some people are getting good results with a 1070 :lollipop_squinting:

I'm gonna try lower something or to play with v-sync\frame limiter options but i think the wise choice is to wait for some patches.

Between the store on pc\xbox app being absolutely terrible and these performances, M really shitted the bed on pc with this one...

It is strange because the multy part was okay for the most part (not for everyone tho so i guess i was lucky)

I bet that the steam version runs a bit better...
Im running at med/high settings with one or two settings on low and it made a big difference for me at 3440x1440. I'm getting about 75-85fps on the open world and 95+ in the interior sections with a 1080ti. Those DF settings were not well done at all and made the game run like shit. When I can get to my PC I'll post them, but if I remember Environment Effects or something of that nature on medium and shadows/lighting on medium/low made the biggest differences.

Async compute on as well.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
It's not the most technically impressive game to be honest. But artistically is one of the best in recent memory. Simply outstanding art style.

I can't stop playing.

HALO IS BACK boys and girls!
I have to agree with all your points here. This would be fucking ace in coop…..

Also, I hope that for the next chapter they drop the one consoles and up the visuals a bit.

Hugare

All I have to say it: licky my sticky!

lol, yeah, this made me laugh

But 2 minutes later comes a cutscene where MC is so, so sad about Cortana, so many feels and all that shit

Jarring af

That's literally been part of Halo since the first game.

Yeah. And I typed just that on my post.

I didnt mind it back then because different times.

But now we have those serious cutscenes with amazing motion capture, emotions and bla bla, then suddenly "lick my sticky"

Doesnt work for me

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
lol, yeah, this made me laugh

But 2 minutes later comes a cutscene where MC is so, so sad about Cortana, so many feels and all that shit

Jarring af

Yeah. And I typed just that on my post.

I didnt mind it back then because different times.

But now we have those serious cutscenes with amazing motion capture, emotions and bla bla, then suddenly "lick my sticky"

Doesnt work for me
you might find it jarring but it adds to the charm of these games. i love it.

it's a game it's not to be taken to serious. there are serious emotional moments and there are funny moments. don't take it too serious...just play and have fun.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
tried playing on PC with xbox controller but i just can't do it. plays way better with keyboard/mouse. i don't know what it is...feels like there is a shit load of sensitivity/acceleration. i can't be arsed going through all the settings. kb/m works much better with a few adjustments.

Ogbert

Gold Member
tried playing on PC with xbox controller but i just can't do it. plays way better with keyboard/mouse. i don't know what it is...feels like there is a shit load of sensitivity/acceleration. i can't be arsed going through all the settings. kb/m works much better with a few adjustments.
I’m the opposite!

I find grapple so much more satisfying on controller.

Ristifer

Gonna install the campaign when I get home later. I know it's probably already been stated, but what's the size of the campaign download?

dcmk7

Banned
Ok
I'M MAD NOW 🤬

Fucking blade muster invisible piece of shit boss killed me with fuckin shock canister just before I killed him. He fucking grabbed canister & throwed in my face on 1hp.
GOD DAMNED !!!
Should have tried 1hp harder tbh.

ManaByte

So far all of the armor coverings I've unlocked in the campaign are MUCH better than anything offered in the store or the battle pass.

So those people throwing epic fits over the cosmetics in the free MP game look even dumber than before.

Top Bottom