• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Malakhov

Banned
It's pretty decent so far, I played for 2 hours straight and that's a feat for a fps. Cutscenes are choppy as hell but the game runs great with a 6800xt

Fess

Few hours sleep, some reflections:

I’m finally up at the surface climbing mountains, game looks gorgeous now but the start was meh

The grapple hook is awesome! 🤩

I’ve died many times already at normal so for me the difficulty seems alright.

Really like the traversal freedom and choices you have to tackle enemies.

They need to fix the cinematics stutter asap, looks awful, I’m considering waiting for a patch before continuing to play.

The ring is huge and it’s easy to see how they’ll keep updating the game, new segments of the ring will probably arrive as expansions, genious 👌

thatJohann

Plays great, looks great, and it’s incredibly fun. Now they just gotta fix all the visual bugs - video black levels are wrong, stutters, VRR not working, etc.

MC got that Doom guy energy. Dare I say this is the best version of the Chief? He is so badass in this game!

Bro some of his one liners had me like oh shit they back to writing for Chief like he don't give a f*ck again, I love it. Dialogue from the beginning of the game -->>>
"Give me a weapon"...."This is all I have"...."its enough"
...If you remember that part..I was like oh yeah im about to tear some sh*t up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AI on Legendary difficulty, which is how I like to do my solo run through, has been absolutely amazing. The enemy AI has been great, especially watching them pretty much form up at times, surround me, use the equipment/weapons an such

Naked Lunch

That part where Chief says "Looks like this terminal can be hacked."
Pilot "Can you do that?"
Chief "No." - and he punches the shit out of the terminal.
Chief is cracking me up in this game.

I love how they front loaded some of the mysterious forerunner stuff in the first level - giving fans new to the series a look at stuff like the Cylix containers. Visually striking stuff.

Also the ambient sounds are so well done - animals, thunder, winds - its enjoyable just standing there looking around taking it all in, not constant in your grill action but room to breate - something ive always wanted more out of Halo.

And shoutout to that sound design. How good does it sound to jump down from a really high up place? Those audio cues that you're close to a collectible or audio log is so excellent. Just going through the environment and seeing Grunts having camp sites setup by crashed pelicans. Everything about this world is so beautiful.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Usual skulls for this? I loved playing Halo CE with the blast radius skull turned on and the Grunts exploding etc.
There's the usual and a few new ones. Found Boom and Cowbell so far. Be extra vigilant as the ones in missions are missable as there's no mission select feature (yet).

Sakura

The tank controls feel kinda off, it's hard to maneuver compared to other Halo games. Just seems like a big target. Enemies are pretty good with their grenades.
Playing on heroic and it doesn't feel too hard, think I've only died a couple times (mainly me blowing up).
I wish when you rescued marines you could send them off or something. Maybe they could populate FOBs you control, hold a perimeter or something. It feels like I'm rescuing them just so they can die 5 minutes later, when I could've cleared all the enemies on my own anyway lol. Maybe I'm just weird though because I always had a thing for trying to keep my marines alive till the end.

The sandbox is fantastic in this. Heroic is perfectly tuned. Not hard, but just challenging enough that if you are caught being lazy or standing dead in the open they'll get you.

I love the way you can use the equipment, look up at a pillar and pull opposite on the controls when using the grapple to LAUNCH yourself across the map, throw down a radar ping on an area you are gonna attack, land, grapple to new area, drop shield, attack... It's a blast, it's really fun to use all your equipment effectively as it drastically makes THE difference in how challenging the game can be.

This game reminds me of when I was a teen and I read Halo:The Flood after playing H:CE for the first time and how I wished H2 would have been. Giant battlefield that let's you play how you want. And the tools you are given can make you feel like this bad ass Super Soldier just dominating the field because of skill alone. It's really impressive what they've done here. So many ways to attack a base. Coop legendary runs are gonna be so incredibly fun. I'm just imagining the scenarios now with my buddy.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Yay! I finally made it to the surface and go go to bed.
less than 4 percent of players with that achievement.
I kept forgetting I have a grappling hook I need to learn to use it more.

Last edited:
That part where Chief says "Looks like this terminal can be hacked."
Pilot "Can you do that?"
Chief "No." - and he punches the shit out of the terminal.
Chief is cracking me up in this game.

I love how they front loaded some of the mysterious forerunner stuff in the first level - giving fans new to the series a look at stuff like the Cylix containers. Visually striking stuff.

Also the ambient sounds are so well done - animals, thunder, winds - its enjoyable just standing there looking around taking it all in, not constant in your grill action but room to breate - something ive always wanted more out of Halo.
Youre absolutely right. It sounds so good on my setup...when you get close to where marines are fighting a group of enemies and you can just stand off to the side and listen to the banter...they talk so much and the enemies have so much personality..the grunts are hilarious

When youre fighting some grunts and one of them retreats and the one still trying to put up a fight says
"no no no...retreat forward, run forward"
:messenger_tears_of_joy: ....I feel like you could really turn the map stuff off and navigate the game off the sound alone to be honest. Its how I been finding most pickups

And I thought the battlepass progression was a little slow at first(Its to easy now, im level 57 in MP now lol)..
but the fact that you can pick up all kinds of armor/coating/colors/emblems throughout the singleplayer campaign...who knew they just wanted folks to actually ya know...play the game
...They pulled this off in a big way IMO

Having a blast so far! Game looks beautiful

12-8-2021_11-40-52_PM-qdgrbjnw.png

12-8-2021_11-39-10_PM-0dtikmso.png

12-8-2021_11-36-46_PM-jhdsbvuz.png

12-8-2021_11-34-52_PM-srzvbilc.png

12-8-2021_11-45-23_PM-matjp1tx.png

12-8-2021_11-35-25_PM-fgqopjtq.png

Last edited:

h00ters

I had this exact issue about a week ago. When you're on the game page in the Xbox App, click the three dots near the play button and click "Manage install". You should be able to do something like untick the High res texture pack option. Do that, then click OK. Give it some time and it'll reverify the install and you should be all good. At that point, feel free to go back and reinstall the high res texture pack.
You're welcome mate! Took me ages to figure that one out.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Only 2 or 3 hours in, but so far it's fantastic, 343 has delivered. Like others I feel the gamma is off somehow. But it's easily 9/10 so far for me, maybe higher.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The first inside level I was not liking it, then the 2nd part it grabbed me with the Halo CE like big rooms and nice opening doors. Then outside I was like Wow! I've got all that magical gameplay to look forward to in this world.
Like someone said play it on heroic. Can't wait to finish work and it's been quite a while I've had that feeling to get home for a video game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
man how are they gonna start you off with not one but two indoor levels. Just send me to the open world asap.

Sacred

343 knocked it out of the damn park. I'm about 6 hours in, but this is my favorite Halo campaign by far from what I have played. The gunplay, grappling hook, sound design, level design. This is exactly what I have always wanted Halo to be. I had a big dumb smile on my face the entire time, need to go to bed, but I'm pumped to play more.

Topher

Gold Member
man how are they gonna start you off with not one but two indoor levels. Just send me to the open world asap.

Yeah, I just got off the ship and now I'm in more corridors going after "the weapon". Calling it a night, but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see the open world.

Kagey K

Banned
I thought everyone hated the open world, plus it's setting up story and lore, the 2 things people wanted.

It also pays homage to the old Halo ppl love.

JESUS sone of you can't make up your mind.

Chukhopops

Did the intro mission, loving it so far. The needler and plasma rifle feel so much faster than in previous Halo games and everything runs so fucking smooth. The grappling hook feels natural with the game’s low gravity although

Graphically the game has the same philosophy as H5, a very sharp, uncluttered look. It’s not the best looking game in the world from a technical standpoint but it’s pretty from an art point of view.

Love it.

First real boss fight(at elevator)....on.....legendary......30 min till I have solid tactic.......another hour till I killed hem.
BEST FEELING EVER !
Clearing first outpost was brutal.......

HAIL TO THE 👑
I can’t imagine playing this game on legendary as a first play through much less doing it solo.

Going to wait for co-op to do legendary.

Helghan

First real boss fight(at elevator)....on.....legendary......30 min till I have solid tactic.......another hour till I killed hem.
BEST FEELING EVER !

HAIL TO THE 👑
I still had a skewer during that boss fight, made it a lot easier. I just went downstairs to shoot, hide, reload, repeat.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh.....gotta mention. Love the keyboard and mouse support on Xbox. Plays perfect.

Last edited:
I haven’t played this much of a game in one day at launch in a long time. Downloaded right when it went live and been playing off and on since. It’s now 2:30am and I must sleep.

The campaign is incredible. It’s like silent cartographer turned to 11 for the whole game. The graphics and environments are beautiful. The sound design is superb. The AI is great and I love that you can save and make squads of marines who will explore the open world with you.

Last minute GOTY contender.

This is up there with re8 as game of the year for me - I can’t wait to play thru with co op tho. It’s gonna take it to a new level

Desless1

I really like that the minor bases takes short amount of time to complete, and rewards with weapons/collectibles and valor is as it is. Makes it really simple and not a damn chore that just annoys you.

Any opinions about The Weapon ?
Only played the first 3 missions, haven't spent too long with these characters, but so far I like her naive energy. She was created to play a specific part then be deleted, only knew what she needed to know & so is now learning alongside the player with a wide-eyed innocence. It's a simple trick but it works well.

The pilot is a pest though. Again, so far. Bro-hammer he is not. Just constantly bitching & whining. He's only human & scared, I get it, but hopefully he gets over it soon because listening to him is simply irritating. At least the Chief is having none of it & completely ignoring the dude 😄

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
BEST FEELING EVER !

HAIL TO THE 👑

Hmmm... maybe it's 100+ hours of MP that I clocked in before the campaign but legendary difficulty doesn't feel so brutal to me. Elevator fight: I died 3 times because I really wanted to sticky the bastard at the start of the fight. First outpost I got sniped once. Just like in MP the only weapon that you really need is BR. You keep your distance and headshot everything that moves.

Fights in the open space are easy as you can approach from every angle and keep the high ground. Sniper rifle is very helpful as you can scan your environment for higher class enemies. A cool detail is that Elites don't apply their shields until they spot you so you can get a quick headshot or 2 on the toughest enemies from a group. Good luck!

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Having played it for 2-3 hours I can say it feels like a 9/10 game right now, it has even given me some real nostalgic goosebumps.. I'm hoping for an eventual 11 out of 10.
Any opinions about The Weapon ?
I had a very negative notion from the previews and pics, but she's been quite the positive surprise so far, I like her naive but capable personality.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
This game is running like a dream on the Series S, I'm seriously considering this as my best purchase I've made in a long long while. For what started out as a companion console to my PS5 DE, games like Infinite are taking my time further away from my PS and more towards my Xbox with each passing day.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok this thing run much worse than the multy part on my pc, and i'm still in the introduction with an indoor environment, can't even imagine how this thing run with hell on screen in the outdoor.

I think i'm gonna wait some patches, playing halo with shitty performance is a sin against humanity.

This thing running worse than games that look much better is pretty bad, not gonna lie.

P.s. i was right, the pilot is an annoying cunt :lollipop_squinting:

P.p.s. the grappling hook was a lot of fun to use, but please tell me that you can upgrade the speed of it...

P.p.p.s. windows store continue to be the trashest store around bar none, and why the fuck do i need an xbox app to play on pc?

Last edited:
Top Bottom