• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

splattered

So far all of the armor coverings I've unlocked in the campaign are MUCH better than anything offered in the store or the battle pass.

So those people throwing epic fits over the cosmetics in the free MP game look even dumber than before.

Is it still mostly coatings? I'm happy to get free extras regardless but i was hoping there would be actual armor pieces/effects too.

Leyasu

Banned
The first armour coating that you find in the very first box is actually really nice.
So far all of the armor coverings I've unlocked in the campaign are MUCH better than anything offered in the store or the battle pass.

So those people throwing epic fits over the cosmetics in the free MP game look even dumber than before.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Im running at med/high settings with one or two settings on low and it made a big difference for me at 3440x1440. I'm getting about 75-85fps on the open world and 95+ in the interior sections with a 1080ti. Those DF settings were not well done at all and made the game run like shit. When I can get to my PC I'll post them, but if I remember Environment Effects or something of that nature on medium and shadows/lighting on medium/low made the biggest differences.

Async compute on as well.
I already tried to lower some settings with no result but if you can post yours, you have my gratitude.

I already tried to lower some settings with no result but if you can post yours, you have my gratitude.
VilWQ8X.png

J5WQFIu.png
uCRXlgM.png
S1SZyWP.png

Also, make sure that your minimum fps is set to whatever the maximum framerate of your monitor is. So min/max fps should be selected at 120fps(for me) at least. When I had it set at 60/120 it was constantly hovering around 58 for no reason, after that switch it gave me a solid 15 fps or so. But on average with these settings, vsync off, I'm getting about 75fps +/- 6fps or so depending on the area.

Last edited:

Tg89

The games definitely fun. Gunplay feels solid. I like how they have the ammo recharge stations around so you can just focus on using the good weapons instead of running out of ammo and being forced to pick up the shitty covenant stuff. It's a little too Ubisoft in its structure, and disappointing to hear that there's only really the one biome (granted, a cool biome, but seems pretty lackluster given the development time). Definitely the best of the 343 era.

Bragr

Banned
About 2-3 hours into the campaign and I like it, but it's off in some places.

Some of the animations in the cutscenes are absolutely unacceptable, I'm very surprised they allowed some of that low-level shit into the final product. The OST is also bizarre, as it doesn't seem to have a lot of fight music, and a lot of big fights feature some generic low Halo hum instead of something upbeat and original. The story is also a mess so far, I'm surprised at how cookie-cutter and unoriginal it is, I assumed they were gonna get some better writers and take this more seriously after the absolute shitshow from Halo 5.

Luckily, it plays well, feels good, and getting a headshot on the brutes is always satisfying. Although I hate how the Jackal's shields don't break down as in the old Halo days.

GymWolf

Gold Member
J5WQFIu.png
uCRXlgM.png
S1SZyWP.png

Also, make sure that your minimum fps is set to whatever the maximum framerate of your monitor is. So min/max fps should be selected at 120fps(for me) at least. When I had it set at 60 it was constantly hovering around 58 for no reason, after that switch it gave me a solid 15 fps or so. But on average with these settings, vsync off, I'm getting about 75fps +/- 6fps or so depending on the area.
My situation is a bit complicated, i have a c1 that does 4k120 when connected to a hdmi 2.1 gpu, but right now i only have 4k60 avaialble because my gpu is just hdmi 2.0.

But with this fucking game i have to change resolution before entering the game because the resolution slider is shit and i can't select 1440p but only strange ass resolutions that are probably not compatible with my tv. (Normally i just chose 1440p from inside the game)

But if i chose 1440p i have the 120frame option available but my gpu is not capable of doing 120 frames with heavy games so i have the nvcp limiter set to 60, also vsync and gsync turned on in the nvcp.

What the hell do i have to do?!

Last edited:
My situation is a bit complicated, i have a c1 that does 4k120 when connected to a hdmi 2.1 gpu, but right now i only have 4k60 avaialble because my gpu is just hdmi 2.0.

But with this fucking game i have to change resolution before entering the game because the resolution slider is shit and i can't select 1440p but only strange ass resolutions that are probably not compatible with my tv. (Normally i just chose 1440p from inside the game)

But if i chose 1440p i have the 120frame option available but my gpu is not capable of doing 120 frames with heavy games so i have the nvcp limiter set to 60, also vsync and gsync turned on in the nvcp.

What the hell do i have to do?!
Can you make a custom resolution in the NVCP that is just 4k for your tv and select that in-game?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've taken over 3 FOB bases + some side stuff.

It's OK. You really do fight the same 4 enemies over and over, 3 of which I fought 20 years ago.

The game doesn't seem to want you to think too much, which I don't like. Approaching different strongholds doesn't encourage much strategy. You just kind of grab the closest power weapons and mush your way in. Hopefully that improves some.

It's fun enough though.

buenoblue

Game is great but unfortunately I'm running my old Ryzen 2600
Cause my 3600 died and I just can't get good performance on my 2070 super. Got my eye on a 5600x over Christmas so gonna wait a few weeks I think. Maybe there will a performance patch by then too. Might even try to get a series x. Anyone played on a decent PC and series x. How does it hold up?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can you make a custom resolution in the NVCP that is just 4k for your tv and select that in-game?
I already have a 4k resolution in the nvcp, but i can't play at 4k because my gpu is not powerful enough so i need to select 1440p like i do with every other game, but with any other game i can just start the game in 4k and then set 1440p from the game itself, but not with halo, with this one i need to change my tv resolution to 1440p before entering the game because the in-game resolution slider doens't even show a 1440p resolution but something with wierd numbers that i don't remember.

ikbalCO

I don’t understand folk who aren’t impressed with the visuals. I love the clean look, the material textures and just the overall art style of this halo.
People are not impressed with the visuals?

This is one of the few games (other ones being, ori 2, horizon 5, re8) where i go "if this looks this good on a series s i cant imagine how good it looks on a series x"

Also when do we start celebrating the return of colors to a halo game? Because this one just pops.

OZ9000

Banned
Game is great but unfortunately I'm running my old Ryzen 2600
Cause my 3600 died and I just can't get good performance on my 2070 super. Got my eye on a 5600x over Christmas so gonna wait a few weeks I think. Maybe there will a performance patch by then too. Might even try to get a series x. Anyone played on a decent PC and series x. How does it hold up?
Does a CPU make that much of a difference?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are you playing on easy? :messenger_grinning_sweat: Try doing that on Legendary.

I'm on Heroic. I've died a few times so I definitely have to take corners and take out targets from the outside in. Problem is that when I do die, the game puts me 15 seconds back (minimal penalty) so I never really feel big moments building up.

I know this is sacrilege but the last open world single player game I played was Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I found myself going prone and studying bases + patrols for > 2 minutes. I like the pre fight just as much as the fight itself. Right now, Halo Infinites pre fight isn't very interesting for me. I know most people dont really care about that kind of stuff though.

Hugare

How is the game running on your PCs ?

Mine is running pretty great but there are some weird, random drops.

Saw the Digital Foundry's video and it seems that there are some frame pacing issues

Well I was a big time skeptic. Had no love for Halo 4 or 5. Played up to the very end on the intro missions and if the quality keeps up at this pace I’d say they’ve finally done it. The brute revolver is fantastic.

Saw the Digital Foundry's video and it seems that there are some frame pacing issues

Yeah, big time frame pacing issues. FPS is solid but it still looks a bit shite.

I'm on Heroic. I've died a few times so I definitely have to take corners and take out targets from the outside in. Problem is that when I do die, the game puts me 15 seconds back (minimal penalty) so I never really feel big moments building up.

I know this is sacrilege but the last open world single player game I played was Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I found myself going prone and studying bases + patrols for > 2 minutes. I like the pre fight just as much as the fight itself. Right now, Halo Infinites pre fight isn't very interesting for me. I know most people dont really care about that kind of stuff though.
There's as much pre fight as you make it. You can scout a base, find the doors that have power sources, deactivate them if you want so your troops can come in with you.

What's great about this is that the banished will drop off reinforcements in large waves which can really ramp the tension I'd you aren't on your game. Or the brute will drop pod in. It's great, you can sneak around the perimeter taking out the scouts and attack at your leisure or go balls in from the start.

I've played probably close to 200 hours of Breakpoint and pre scouting is a joke, especially with the drone. Even without it, the challenge of Breakpoint is that the brown camo guy is in the brown cover and you maybe didn't have your thermals on. Or they'll send ridiculous waves, they don't use tactics at all in BP.

How far into Infinite are you?

DryvBy

Not to trash this thread up. I'm not a big fan of the series but I'd like to state that Halo 1, 2 and 3 are very special to me. Halo 1 I was dying for when it was a Mac exclusive and was a big Xbox original fan. But after ODST, I quit caring about the game because of it being ODST.

That said, I have seen Halo 4 and 5 and how the hype is week one and dies off quickly after except for the most hardcore of Halo fans. What is making this game different outside of the Ubisoft-ish open world? I do not hate Infinite but I'm only just now to the open world area and plan on playing more tonight. But I'm also not particularly finding this to be some amazing campaign. It's nothing like Halo 3 for me.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Played about six hours yesterday just clearing FOBs and exploring.

Still not completely sold on the quasi-open world. Exploration feels lackluster because most of the time your only reward is either an audio log or cosmetics - neither of which I find that interesting

When it works it works really well though. My standout moment was going after the Blademaster. I read the little dossier and just happened to have an S7 sniper. Figured it would be a good strategy to assassinate the guy from a mile away since he's obviously designed to be a close-quarters powerhouse. I wasn't sure the game would let me do this though either through the layout of his base/sight lines or by making him a bullet sponge. I arrived at this base about 200m out atop some cliffs. Took a minute to spot him and I whiffed two of my eight shots but I landed the other six and killed him with the last one. I was so far away the other enemies couldn't only dance around and try to take cover. Felt really good and like I beat him at his own game.

Still early on in the game so more experiences like this and fewer experiences of recusing marines who can't pathfind to follow me/ unlocking a dumb armor paint after killing 30 enemies will definitely sell me on the open world concept.

Vehicles also seem fairly useless due to the way the world is designed. There are roads but they often don't lead to where you're headed and the vehicles themselves are clearly not designed to deal with off-road driving. They probably will come into their own when coop releases though and Im also excited to see how the flying vehicles add to the experience.

Performance-wise I was surprised to see that I can't run it at 4K/60 on ultra or even high with a 3090/i9. My CPU is sleepwalking it's way through the game with ease but the GPU maxed itself out the second I stepped into the open world. Settling for a mix of ultra/high/medium for smooth 60 but DLSS support would really help and I'm disappointed because I assumed I could max out the game easily with that setup.

Minor gripes aside though, this is easily the best work 343 has ever done and I'll definitely keep playing.

Major kudos to the sound team too. Truly some of the best sound design I can remember.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I am a bit confused at this.

Played a bit last night (not on the halo yet)

The visuals are very underwhelming, im not sure if its just down to my settings though.

Playing on LG C9 65"

Would anyone who has a similar set up be kind enough to post their settings if they are seeing great results?

Currently it really does look like an upscaled XBONE game.
I personally think it looks very nice most of the time, but there are definitely some times where it shows its crossgen roots

buenoblue

I'm back in lol. Bin playing alot of ps5 lately and hadn't updated my Nvidia drivers in a while. Doh!

1440p Drs
Mostly ultra some high very
High res texture pack deleted.
smooth now and looks great. Happy bunny.

Some life in my machine yet 😁

Ok, I'm in love with this game. I gave one of my fellow marines the spiker and he was launching shots across the map while riding a warthog lmao. Then, a banished drop ship came in out of nowhere and dropped off reinforcements. The ability to call in vehicles and marine reinforcements is so cool.

I just did the tower mission where you fight that badass elite and the boss battle was really intense. I died several times. I can't believe I'm saying this but the mini-boss encounters are really fun in the main missions and I just really like "the weapon" character.

Found all kinds of stuff to do. Destroy propaganda towers, save marines, capture FOBs and search for Spartan upgrades. So far, this is better than I thought it would be.

Sakura

Ended up playing with the settings a bit, not sure which one it was but now I'm getting pretty close to a solid 60FPS during the open world.
The combat is pretty fun, but fuck jackal snipers.
One thing I think is really cool is that enemies will pick weapons up off a ground. AI seems really good in this game.
I don't understand disrupters though. They don't seem to do shit all to shielded enemies, like elites, but for some reason they just chew right through my shields

Also one thing I don't like, is marines don't drive vehicles. I wanna bust in a base with a couple warthogs and some ghosts, but you can only bring as many as a warthog will fit.

And I like the weapon more than Cortana.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Ok, I'm in love with this game. I gave one of my fellow marines the spiker and he was launching shots across the map while riding a warthog lmao. Then, a banished drop ship came in out of nowhere and dropped off reinforcements. The ability to call in vehicles and marine reinforcements is so cool.

I just did the tower mission where you fight that badass elite and the boss battle was really intense. I died several times. I can't believe I'm saying this but the mini-boss encounters are really fun in the main missions and I just really like "the weapon" character.

Found all kinds of stuff to do. Destroy propaganda towers, save marines, capture FOBs and search for Spartan upgrades. So far, this is better than I thought it would be.

It's hard to trust you, Halo Is Dead.

Kev Kev

this game

this fuckin game

so ive been exploring and picking at the Lockdown area (apparently i kinda of skipped over the first area but thats okay because im going back to complete it now), and im going down my checklist, finding all the bases, bosses, etc, and as many collectibles as i can find. i figured the skulls were going to be the toughest, so i searched for them as i searched for everything else, but settled on the idea that i might just have to go back later, and likely look them up to get them all, and thats fine ive done that before. its still fun searching for them!

so im at this particular area (ill try to not spoil anything) and im trying to get to the top using my grapple, but its hard as a mf! there is this lip thats a pain the get over at the very top and i was trying and tryin for 15-20 minutes. the good news is i got pretty good with the grapple shot here, the bad news is, i started to think that i just wasnt meant to get up there. so i keep tryin keep trying and i somehow lodge myself into this little alcove, closer than ive ever been to the top! i peek my head out, look for another ledge to grab onto, take a deep breath and jump, shoot my grapple and boom i made it!!! i was so stoked.

and then i start hearing this sound i havent heard before and im like oh shit that sounds like a collectible! but its not beeping, its hissing! i search around a few more minutes and find a cut out card with Craig on it 🤦‍♂️ and as far as i know that doesnt actually get you anything (maybe it does i dunno, but it seems just like an easter egg). so i was pissed that i did all that work for an easter egg, but then i realized the hissing was still happening. and it was coming from the other side of the thing i was on top of. i leap over the an obstacle, take a few more steps, and there it is, my first skull!!!

i was ecstatic! skulls are traditionally mega hard to find in halo games, so to find one without looking it up is a real treat for me. i grab it and say "fuck yeah i love this fucking game!"

but thats not all!

i had more audio logs and stuff to find, but the math wasnt adding up. i was looking at the map and thinking "man i have like 7 more things to find, but my map is telling me there are only a couple places left to search... what gives?". i shrugged and kept truckin forward. then i came across an audio log that wasnt marked on my map, so it turns out they DONT tell you where everything is, you actually have to search and find some stuff organically. i love that! i was actually bummed that it'd just be a go fetch type of collectible thing, but its not, you really have to explore the map and search everywhere if you want to find it all.

so i realize that i need to go back to every tower, enemy camp, base, etc, everywhere ive been and search all those areas again. so i did, and sure enough i found the remaining collectibles... EXCEPT for the second skull. it was my last collectible in the Lockdown area and id already searched high and low. so this time i said "ok there is NO WAY im going to find this one, i bet they hide some of them super good for masochists who love that kind of stuff. im gonna search some interesting looking spots, maybe go to the tips of every mountain, but hey if i dont find it, thats okay, ill just move on and come back later." so i start to do exactly that!

but then i got carried away lol. coming off the momentum of finding my first skull i decided, no fuck it im going to search every nook and cranny, im gonna find this fucking thing before i move on. so here i am, swinging around the map like spider man, having the fucking time of my life, getting really good with the grapple, and seeing areas and little hidden stuff that i hadnt seen yet. honestly, just searching for it was the fun part, i didnt even care if i found it at that point, and i started to think to myself "ok this one is too well hidden, im probably gonna have to move on"

but im not quite ready to give up, so im searching all the little areas on the sides of the pieces of ring (where its a ravine that leads to space and youll die if you fall off"). i died a lot trying to search all those little areas, and i honestly thought i was just wasting my time. at some point, i had the idea to grab a sniper so i can zoom in on far away areas and see if they are worth checking out. and i didnt see shit lol. i spent probably 2 hours searching and came up with nothing.

i zoomed in on this one little ledge hangin off the side, and i see what looks like some kind of blue explosion. but it wasnt an explosion, bc it was sitting there motionless, but it was definitely out of place. it wan't a skull tho, it was just these blue little lines, like 4 or 5 of them. and im like, hmmm thats strange, i wonder if its a gltich they didnt catch, or a piece of texture thats just out of place. that would make sense because this area was SO far off the beaten path.

now, this particular area is SUPER hard to get to. i tried and tried and tried, but ran outta time. so i pause the game, go to lunch with my mom which we had planned, come back and try a few more times...

no dice. at this point im like, ok youre just not meant to get over there and thats probably some glitch and there just aint no fuckin skull over there. but i try a few more times anyway, and i make it! im like, oh shit, ok cool lets check it out.

so the blue things i was talking about earlier werent texture glitches at all, the were actually glow sticks! they are meant to be there!! im like "no fucking way!" i start freaking out lol, i take a few steps, turn right into a small alcove and BAM its the other skull!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

fuck yeah i love this fucking game. thank you for coming to my ted talk. find all those collectibles spartans! never give up! never surrender!

Phase

I've been going through on normal with no upgrades (have 14 spartan cores, waiting for equipment I actually want to upgrade). It's pretty relaxed and fun, though the game world feels very empty and same-y.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
there's literally a bunch of screens above showing how poor it looks after a short distance, and you just need to look at the mountains to confirm that with your own eyes
You have to remember who you're quoting here. Halo Infinite is his new flavour of the month so he'll defend it to the death and vociferously downplay any sort of criticism levied against it. My advice, just nod your head and ignore it lol

ManaByte

this game

this fuckin game

so ive been exploring and picking at the Lockdown area (apparently i kinda of skipped over the first area but thats okay because im going back to complete it now), and im going down my checklist, finding all the bases, bosses, etc, and as many collectibles as i can find. i figured the skulls were going to be the toughest, so i searched for them as i searched for everything else, but settled on the idea that i might just have to go back later, and likely look them up to get them all, and thats fine ive done that before. its still fun searching for them!

so im at this particular area (ill try to not spoil anything) and im trying to get to the top using my grapple, but its hard as a mf! there is this lip thats a pain the get over at the very top and i was trying and tryin for 15-20 minutes. the good news is i got pretty good with the grapple shot here, the bad news is, i started to think that i just wasnt meant to get up there. so i keep tryin keep trying and i somehow lodge myself into this little alcove, closer than ive ever been to the top! i peek my head out, look for another ledge to grab onto, take a deep breath and jump, shoot my grapple and boom i made it!!! i was so stoked.

and then i start hearing this sound i havent heard before and im like oh shit that sounds like a collectible! but its not beeping, its hissing! i search around a few more minutes and find a cut out card with Craig on it 🤦‍♂️ and as far as i know that doesnt actually get you anything (maybe it does i dunno, but it seems just like an easter egg). so i was pissed that i did all that work for an easter egg, but then i realized the hissing was still happening. and it was coming from the other side of the thing i was on top of. i leap over the an obstacle, take a few more steps, and there it is, my first skull!!!

i was ecstatic! skulls are traditionally mega hard to find in halo games, so to find one without looking it up is a real treat for me. i grab it and say "fuck yeah i love this fucking game!"

but thats not all!

i had more audio logs and stuff to find, but the math wasnt adding up. i was looking at the map and thinking "man i have like 7 more things to find, but my map is telling me there are only a couple places left to search... what gives?". i shrugged and kept truckin forward. then i came across an audio log that wasnt marked on my map, so it turns out they DONT tell you where everything is, you actually have to search and find some stuff organically. i love that! i was actually bummed that it'd just be a go fetch type of collectible thing, but its not, you really have to explore the map and search everywhere if you want to find it all.

so i realize that i need to go back to every tower, enemy camp, base, etc, everywhere ive been and search all those areas again. so i did, and sure enough i found the remaining collectibles... EXCEPT for the second skull. it was my last collectible in the Lockdown area and id already searched high and low. so this time i said "ok there is NO WAY im going to find this one, i bet they hide some of them super good for masochists who love that kind of stuff. im gonna search some interesting looking spots, maybe go to the tips of every mountain, but hey if i dont find it, thats okay, ill just move on and come back later." so i start to do exactly that!

but then i got carried away lol. coming off the momentum of finding my first skull i decided, no fuck it im going to search every nook and cranny, im gonna find this fucking thing before i move on. so here i am, swinging around the map like spider man, having the fucking time of my life, getting really good with the grapple, and seeing areas and little hidden stuff that i hadnt seen yet. honestly, just searching for it was the fun part, i didnt even care if i found it at that point, and i started to think to myself "ok this one is too well hidden, im probably gonna have to move on"

but im not quite ready to give up, so im searching all the little areas on the sides of the pieces of ring (where its a ravine that leads to space and youll die if you fall off"). i died a lot trying to search all those little areas, and i honestly thought i was just wasting my time. at some point, i had the idea to grab a sniper so i can zoom in on far away areas and see if they are worth checking out. and i didnt see shit lol. i spent probably 2 hours searching and came up with nothing.

i zoomed in on this one little ledge hangin off the side, and i see what looks like some kind of blue explosion. but it wasnt an explosion, bc it was sitting there motionless, but it was definitely out of place. it wan't a skull tho, it was just these blue little lines, like 4 or 5 of them. and im like, hmmm thats strange, i wonder if its a gltich they didnt catch, or a piece of texture thats just out of place. that would make sense because this area was SO far off the beaten path.

now, this particular area is SUPER hard to get to. i tried and tried and tried, but ran outta time. so i pause the game, go to lunch with my mom which we had planned, come back and try a few more times...

no dice. at this point im like, ok youre just not meant to get over there and thats probably some glitch and there just aint no fuckin skull over there. but i try a few more times anyway, and i make it! im like, oh shit, ok cool lets check it out.

so the blue things i was talking about earlier werent texture glitches at all, the were actually glow sticks! they are meant to be there!! im like "no fucking way!" i start freaking out lol, i take a few steps, turn right into a small alcove and BAM its the other skull!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

fuck yeah i love this fucking game. thank you for coming to my ted talk. find all those collectibles spartans! never give up! never surrender!

Is it too early for Game of the Generation?

elliot5

finished the campaign and thought it was pretty good. Really good start and look forward to the next expansions soon enough. Hope 343 continues to deliver updates to the overworld to bring me back from time to time.

A really good swan song for the Xbox One

Ogbert

Gold Member
Not to trash this thread up. I'm not a big fan of the series but I'd like to state that Halo 1, 2 and 3 are very special to me. Halo 1 I was dying for when it was a Mac exclusive and was a big Xbox original fan. But after ODST, I quit caring about the game because of it being ODST.

That said, I have seen Halo 4 and 5 and how the hype is week one and dies off quickly after except for the most hardcore of Halo fans. What is making this game different outside of the Ubisoft-ish open world? I do not hate Infinite but I'm only just now to the open world area and plan on playing more tonight. But I'm also not particularly finding this to be some amazing campaign. It's nothing like Halo 3 for me.
For me, it’s basically the grapple. The basic combat loop of flying across the screen and whacking them in the noggin will last me for many, many hours. Things seemed to be paced well. There’s always a fight to be had and they are almost all well balanced and meaningful. Whilst it is open worldish, the game still feels curated.

Not especially fussed on the story, but never am really. I quite like the light nature of the new Cortana, but can see how that might annoy people.

Naked Lunch

Playing the campaign - I wish there was a big team multiplayer played at this pace and scale.
The BTB thats there is fine but its just too insane and chaotic - Id like to see huge maps, maybe higher player counts, with time to think and strategize.

Chukhopops

After a couple hours and now in the open world I really like it, it's a very classic open world formula for sure but the moment to moment gameplay is just as good as ever, I love how intense things are (playing on Heroic). Every small base or outpost has dozens of enemies and you have to constantly improvise, use the environment, adapt with different weapons, etc.

People compare it to Far Cry but to me it's a lot more Just Cause inspired between the grappling hook, explosive things everywhere, etc.

Only small concern is how the game will retain its difficulty with upgrades when even the very first upgrade (the electric grappling hook) makes a lot of enemies trivial, elites went from being a serious thread to dying from one hook - sticky combo.

Now just give me PVE and PVPVE multiplayer modes and I'll be happy for a couple months.

elliot5

After a couple hours and now in the open world I really like it, it's a very classic open world formula for sure but the moment to moment gameplay is just as good as ever, I love how intense things are (playing on Heroic). Every small base or outpost has dozens of enemies and you have to constantly improvise, use the environment, adapt with different weapons, etc.

People compare it to Far Cry but to me it's a lot more Just Cause inspired between the grappling hook, explosive things everywhere, etc.

Only small concern is how the game will retain its difficulty with upgrades when even the very first upgrade (the electric grappling hook) makes a lot of enemies trivial, elites went from being a serious thread to dying from one hook - sticky combo.

Now just give me PVE and PVPVE multiplayer modes and I'll be happy for a couple months.
If 343 can introduce Co-op and some sick modes alongside it greater than just campaign with friends, but at the same scale of the campaign it would be nuts. I don't really think Halo NEEDs a BR or anything, but I'd be lying if I didn't think something like a BR on a map like Zeta Halo would be fuckin tight. The scale of everything and expansiveness is insane. And you can see things from so far away taking action.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't get over how weird the framerate is in this game, a lot of things seem to be running at lower/variable framerates, making it just look jarring.
Also what's up with chief's glove constantly slightly morphing, like it's made out of jelly?

Kev Kev

About 2-3 hours into the campaign and I like it, but it's off in some places.

Some of the animations in the cutscenes are absolutely unacceptable, I'm very surprised they allowed some of that low-level shit into the final product. The OST is also bizarre, as it doesn't seem to have a lot of fight music, and a lot of big fights feature some generic low Halo hum instead of something upbeat and original. The story is also a mess so far, I'm surprised at how cookie-cutter and unoriginal it is, I assumed they were gonna get some better writers and take this more seriously after the absolute shitshow from Halo 5.

Luckily, it plays well, feels good, and getting a headshot on the brutes is always satisfying. Although I hate how the Jackal's shields don't break down as in the old Halo days.
are you sure you dont hate the game? it sounds like it lol

What I can say for sure is that almost all of the technical issues John noted with the Series X built apply equally to the PC version - so these problems are definitely not related to GPU or CPU horsepower as such. So, cutscenes present with a jarring inconsistency in delivery, even when actual rendering performance is solid (something 343 says will be fixed in an upcoming patch). Meanwhile, facial animations are still running at 30fps, while the view weapon and Master Chief's hand have visible warping - but only in the open world. Curiously, the extent of this warping looks reduced on PC, which could perhaps be related to dynamic/lower resolution or VRS having an impact on Xbox Series X.

Obviously, the bugs need to be addressed, whether it's the cutscene stutter or the cut-back animation rates seen throughout the game.

Guess I'm not crazy, almost makes me want to shelf the game until they get these jarring problems fixed

Malakhov

Banned

It runs great, I have a 5600x with a 6800xt.

Cutscenes are cringy though

Top Bottom