• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Sakura

Yeah, he grabbed fucking canister & killed me. Also had 2 more times brute grabbing grunt & throwed at me & also shock canister.
I noticed grunts carrying sniper rifles on their backs and shit too.
I guess for brutes to swap weapons? Pretty cool.

Definitely having fun with the game so far. Very nice graphics and the combat feels good and quite impactful. The boss ecounters are fairly challenging and pretty intense so far. I was skeptical about the open world, but so far it seems like it works for this game. Liking the new replacement(?) for “you-know-who” so far as well. Why isn’t anyone on my friends list playing this game? Get off YouTube, your movie streaming apps and COD: Warzone already people.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Normal is definitely harder than normal was on 5.
The marines you rescue that help out are no joke.lol
Load up 5 marines into a Razorback and give them all shotguns

you’re like a roving fortress lol they just melt any thing that gets close

Last edited:
The jackals really, really sound like the vorcha from Mass Effect.

(I've played to where you start unlocking bases and I'm really liking it.)

BigLee74

Played more yesterday just arsing about in the open world area. I like it a lot.

It’s exactly what they did with gears, but with more there to do and see. It’s a great choice to give the players - some non mandatory sandbox shenanigans to oppose the carefully crafted standard Halo levels, allowing the story to be progressed at a more leisurely pace.

Big fan!

I would guess a lot of the dev time has been to get the engine and framework in place, allowing for some quick turnarounds on future DLC.

MikeM

Gold Member
Easily the most enjoyable Halo game. Loving this open world with the grapple. Feel like spiderman out here a bit.

Anyone else notice stutters on Series X? When I pan the camera while playing it occurs randomly. If I just go in circles at a fixed speed I can easily see it occurring .

MrMephistoX

Man either they hired a bunch of kids who grew up on Halo or got a bunch of Ex Bungie people to work on this: it’s feels like old Halo meets BOTW not the last two underwhelming non Bungie sequels. I alway like playing on Heroic or Legendary because the AI is better…is normal still dynamic?

stupid-people.gif

I put him on ignore immediately.

Yeah, he grabbed fucking canister & killed me. Also had 2 more times brute grabbing grunt & throwed at me & also shock canister.

Encountered a moment in game where a grunt attempted to toss one, and couldn't lift it apparently. Don't know if it was a bug, but it definitely happened.

really odd that with all the Armor just laying around that it isn't something that can be unlocked for the MP.

I've literally unlocked over 5 or 7 new armors DIRECTLY from playing the campaign for MP, some are even the armor belonging to at least 2 named Spartans in the game's story. :)

I had kept stressing to people that the story on MP customization wasn't totally written because Campaign and MP, despite MP being free to play, were a package deal, and looks like I was right. Tons of MP customization unlocks are spread out all over the campaign's openworld, and it 'just makes sense' in the context of the story and what transpired.

Last edited:
I think this might be one of my favorite Halo games so far. I'm being a complete asshole to the Banished and taking massive risks fighting them. Every time I get rekt I'm sitting here laughing because I usually deserved it. The game is downright hilarious to play hardcore. I'll forget to reload and run in on a sword carrying Elite, pull the trigger, bang bang click click FUCK NOPE NOPE NOPE run away like a bitch and Spiderman the fuck out of Dodge. What an absolute blast!

Load up 5 marines into a Razorback and give them all shotguns

you’re like a roving fortress lol they just melt any thing that gets close

I gave everyone needlers. Nothing survives and the needles never miss, it's hilarious. I'm going to try doing the same with some of the big power weapons. I think the razorback might have been a wonderful mistake to put in campaign :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MachRc

Never thought i would be climbing mountains like Im playing oblivion/skyrim again.

Halo game with fast travel never expected...Im glad it has fast travel...

Too damn repetitive. Dead open world. Dying isn't fun.
Glad I'm not the only thinking this. I was expecting a lot more stuff to find in this game with Armor and stuff to find and unlock. This is just a point A to B type of game it seems with no real reason for exploration. At least they could have added in some kind of portal system to bounce between different biomes within the ring itself.

Someone on Reddit beat it in under 8 hours only doing the main quest. I don't recommend racing through it like that though. The side content is the meat of the game

This game has side content worth playing? It's just a bunch of squads that you check in with and a few towers that you blow up.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I've literally unlocked over 5 or 7 new armors DIRECTLY from playing the campaign for MP, some are even the armor belonging to at least 2 named Spartans in the game's story. :)

I had kept stressing to people that the story on MP customization wasn't totally written because Campaign and MP, despite MP being free to play, were a package deal, and looks like I was right. Tons of MP customization unlocks are spread out all over the campaign's openworld, and it 'just makes sense' in the context of the story and what transpired.

I think he’s referring to armor pieces and attachments, not the coatings. It is a bit weird they reward every other cosmetic item type except those.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This might be my favourite Halo game by far.

The sequence that leads up to the first spire is absolutely incredible. The one that ends at that cutscene with chief jumping into the pelican. It just kept ramping and ramping up. Perfect set pieces, music, vehicles, boss fights!... just incredible.

Best thing is that it's not the only one, there have been so many amazing setpiece battles in this game. Bravo.

I'm playing on an Acer nitro 5 laptop from 2018 and it is managing it. 30 fps setting though. I must not be as sensitive to the graphics because it never occurred to me to think something was off. Some occasional lag/freezes but overall no issues.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
This game is like Jazz, it has familiar notes and the underlying beat is familiar, but you can improvise and do what you want. The grapple is a stringed instrument that gets the highlighted in the improvisation.

so far I like what the band has brought to the stage and I plan on staying a while.

Kev Kev

Glad I'm not the only thinking this. I was expecting a lot more stuff to find in this game with Armor and stuff to find and unlock. This is just a point A to B type of game it seems with no real reason for exploration. At least they could have added in some kind of portal system to bounce between different biomes within the ring itself.
theres a lot of hidden stuff on the map that they dont tell you about, plus easter eggs, caves, tunnels/shortcuts to help you traverse the map quicker, crashed ships, mountains to climb to to the top where hidden shit may be, the sides of the ring pieces sometimes has hidden weapon caches on them, and side note: it is super easy to traverse the map fast af with the grapple shot, so exploring doesnt even have to take that long. plus the landscapes are stunning!

theres plenty of reasons to explore. it sounds like you just dont like actually exploring and youd rather have a checklist of things to do. not every game needs to have a "do all the things" element to it. sometimes its fun just to explore the map and check out the scenery. thats something that has been lost in games, and i absolutely love this huge, open, sci-fi world they created. its beautiful and alien and mysterious. i love just looking at it and checking out the sights and sounds. with a pair of headphones its like transporting you to a whole other world.

there are two types of gamers: people who love the experience, and people who just want to "do all the things". sounds to me like you are the latter. go play fortnite or sea of thieves if you want a "do all the things" game experience. halo has never been that and it doesnt need to be that. they added plenty of stuff to do without making it feel like a checklist of chores, and it would have been worse if they tried to smash more "stuff to do" in there. they struck a perfect balance between those things, imo.

Last edited:

MachRc

Any reasons to keep the special weapons of the banished ? I've come across a few and other than a cool motif or name. Is it worth keeping it around ?

Phase

It'd be interesting to take out all of the "levels" and make that a linear experience by itself without the open world. I've finished a good chunk of the game now and can't help but feel I'm playing two separate games that were combined.

I think he’s referring to armor pieces and attachments, not the coatings. It is a bit weird they reward every other cosmetic item type except those.

I got some emblem. Also, they're referred to as "armor lockers" so the story context is these are Spartan armors or suits dropped from the Infinity during the war.

Any reasons to keep the special weapons of the banished ? I've come across a few and other than a cool motif or name. Is it worth keeping it around ?

They're stronger than normal weapons. The unbound plasma pistol has a shot gun like spread when you charge it up. Those a dangerous weapon for disabling vehicles and dropped shields of multiple enemies, setting them up for kills. The elite energy sword from that first high value target I believe either lasts way longer in combat, or is capable of doing more damage to vehicles or something like that. I forget.

MachRc

They're stronger than normal weapons. The unbound plasma pistol has a shot gun like spread when you charge it up. Those a dangerous weapon for disabling vehicles and dropped shields of multiple enemies, setting them up for kills. The elite energy sword from that first high value target I believe either lasts way longer in combat, or is capable of doing more damage to vehicles or something like that. I forget.
thanks, I have exactly those two, one from the to*** and one from that gr****
Im guessing there isnt some sort of weapon locker for them, Ill try to keep them around as long as I can.

Last edited:

Sakura

Runs like dog shit on PC, stuttering like crazy.
Yeah I dunno what the issue is. The game is really fun but the performance is just killing me. Got everything on medium right now at 1080p, AA set to low. VRAM usage says it's at 4.9/7.8.
Yet the last cutscene I was watching was low 20s, with open world frequently 30-50.
Hopefully some new drivers or something comes out that fixes it for me.

Komatsu

Yeah I dunno what the issue is. The game is really fun but the performance is just killing me. Got everything on medium right now at 1080p, AA set to low. VRAM usage says it's at 4.9/7.8.
Yet the last cutscene I was watching was low 20s, with open world frequently 30-50.
Hopefully some new drivers or something comes out that fixes it for me.

What is CPU/GPU combo? I ask as I've tested it on a 1070ti and a 2060SC and it never fell below 30.

dem

The cut scenes are jarring. The jank is ridiculous. Its crazy because once it goes to real gameplay everything looks smooth. Real wtf moments there.

Oh.. and the "death screen" is terrible. Like.. whos job was that and did they put ANY effort in there? Its like a bad school project. It just makes the game look rinky dink.

Actually playing the game is pretty fun and smooth though. I have a feeling the environment is going to get old, fast.

Last edited:
thanks, I have exactly those two, one from the to*** and one from that gr****
Im guessing there isnt some sort of weapon locker for them, Ill try to keep them around as long as I can.

They're available at every forward operating base going forward once you've killed them and equipped their weapon.

Sakura

What is CPU/GPU combo? I ask as I've tested it on a 1070ti and a 2060SC and it never fell below 30.
i7-10750H and 2070
It's a notebook so obviously not as powerful as desktop version, but I'm also only running at 1080p. I feel like it should be more than enough.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I got some emblem. Also, they're referred to as "armor lockers" so the story context is these are Spartan armors or suits dropped from the Infinity during the war.

I get it, and while it really doesn’t bug me personally, I think some people were expecting actual pieces of armor from the ‘armor lockers’.

Kev Kev

Completely floored, TBH. I've been a huge Halo fan but this game is absolutely fantastic.
i feel the same. kind of hard to hear myself say it out loud, but this might be the best halo campaign thus far. cant say for sure yet tho...

related-unrelated: the nostalgia im feeling playing this game is nearly overwhelming. 20 years of memories, runnin into the shit, guns a blazin with the chief, and cortana in your ear, all the while a contrast of massive foreunner architecture and beautiful scenery in your view... its all just smacking me in the face every time i play this game. the new cortana sounds and feels so much like the old cortana, its a really nostalgic and good feeling to be back at it in a place that looks uncannily similar to the first halo in halo: ce with her in your ear. all the good times i had with friends doing 4 player couch co-op, breaking out of the map in campaign in halo 3, custom games shenanigans, thousands upon thousands of MP matches, etc. there are times where its almost enough to get me emotional :messenger_tears_of_joy:

and as an added layer of "the feels" on top of that, knowing that new cortana isnt the real cortana, and seeing chief almost being emotional is some scenes, like he's sad or angry or something and like he's finally about to break after decades of being a super soldier... whoo man its almost too much.

ive never had an emotional connection to halo. its always been kill the aliens and save the galaxy. but this time is different for some reason. im only a handful of hours into the campaign, but chief is showing sign of distress or... something, i dunno. i think new cortana can see it too. in one scene after chief finds another dead spartan, she turns around and looks at him with a face full of remorse and sadness. she knows he still a human under there, and as strong as chief is, he's still susceptible to human emotions... and chief is just hanging his head not saying anything. and it just seems so unlike him you know?

good shit 343! im so stoked to finish the campaign and see where the story goes

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm enjoying it at around four hours in, but I admit to hoping that the gameplay escalates in some way as the game goes on. The open-world design does add something, but I feel like it's not using it's full potential.

I just finished, the last two or three missions were incredible.

FYI there is a temporary point of no return that locks you out of the open world for a decent amount of time in case anyone wants to know. The mission that sets this off without warning is in the spoilers below.

Edit: For some reason my spoiler is not showing up, or spoilers are completely disabled from this thread, I dunno, in any case, just know that there is a mission that sets off a few in a row which locks you out for a while.

Last edited:
I get it, and while it really doesn’t bug me personally, I think some people were expecting actual pieces of armor from the ‘armor lockers’.

You actually are getting actual pieces of armor, though. Don't let the term 'armor coating' confuse you. To MP it might just be viewed as colors, but they're much more than that, they're technically different sets of armor in their specific generation of mjolnir; they're entire unique armor designs, texture/art with markings and other things of specific spartans, some (or all) of which are in the game's main campaign. Some coatings are literally just color swaps, but some are more elaborate designs for more important characters.

If I want in MP right now I can literally look exactly like a Spartan from the story campaign.

I have about 5-7 new sets of armor just from the first four missions.

Last edited:
i feel the same. kind of hard to hear myself say it out loud, but this might be the best halo campaign thus far. cant say for sure yet tho...

related-unrelated: the nostalgia im feeling playing this game is nearly overwhelming. 20 years of memories, runnin into the shit, guns a blazin with the chief, and cortana in your ear, all the while a contrast of massive foreunner architecture and beautiful scenery in your view... its all just smacking me in the face every time i play this game. the new cortana sounds and feels so much like the old cortana, its a really nostalgic and good feeling to be back at it in a place that looks uncannily similar to the first halo in halo: ce with her in your ear. all the good times i had with friends doing 4 player couch co-op, breaking out of the map in campaign in halo 3, custom games shenanigans, thousands upon thousands of MP matches, etc. there are times where its almost enough to get me emotional :messenger_tears_of_joy:

and as an added layer of "the feels" on top of that, knowing that new cortana isnt the real cortana, and seeing chief almost being emotional is some scenes, like he's sad or angry or something and like he's finally about to break after decades of being a super soldier... whoo man its almost too much.

ive never had an emotional connection to halo. its always been kill the aliens and save the galaxy. but this time is different for some reason. im only a handful of hours into the campaign, but chief is showing sign of distress or... something, i dunno. i think new cortana can see it too. in one scene after chief finds another dead spartan, she turns around and looks at him with a face full of remorse and sadness. she knows he still a human under there, and as strong as chief is, he's still susceptible to human emotions... and chief is just hanging his head not saying anything. and it just seems so unlike him you know?

good shit 343! im so stoked to finish the campaign and see where the story goes

I know EXACTLY the scene you're referring to. That shit connected with me big time! Then you hear pilot chiming in, and literally saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time, not knowing what's actually going on where Chief is.

Top Bottom