• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Hey guys so we have Halo: Broken Circle, coming November 4th and just wanted to get your opinions on what we should do.

Unlike: Halo Escalation we should be getting a lot of meaty stuff so should we have a sort of dedicated book discussion be put in place and spoilers be put in tags since unlike the Escalation comic, it takes much longer to get through a 352 book than a 20 page comic

I think we should be fine keeping the discussion here. Just leave spoiler tags on everything until, say, 6 months after release?

Hey guys so we have Halo: Broken Circle, coming November 4th and just wanted to get your opinions on what we should do.

Unlike: Halo Escalation we should be getting a lot of meaty stuff so should we have a sort of dedicated book discussion be put in place and spoilers be put in tags since unlike the Escalation comic, it takes much longer to get through a 352 book than a 20 page comic

I think the Lore thread should be spoiler-free (that is, spoilers must be tagged) for the first little while after a piece of fiction is released, but then discussion should move on without worry. In my opinion, this thread moves slowly enough in the off weeks/months that splitting it further into more subthreads seems counterproductive to some good discussion.

Though maybe Nightfall and Broken Circle should have a "release/readthrough thread" in OT? Who knows if anyone would see it among all the other Halo stuff going down around that time...

Hm... Is 6 months too long?

I'm okay with six months. Or 2.

Six months may be a bit long, yeah. I'm just anticipating renewed interest in the lore when MCC drops.

I think the Lore thread should be spoiler-free (that is, spoilers must be tagged) for the first little while after a piece of fiction is released, but then discussion should move on without worry. In my opinion, this thread moves slowly enough in the off weeks/months that splitting it further into more subthreads seems counterproductive to some good discussion.

Though maybe Nightfall and Broken Circle should have a "release/readthrough thread" in OT? Who knows if anyone would see it among all the other Halo stuff going down around that time...

Nightfall probably deserves an OT, but that may belong in offtopic. Dunno if Broken Circle is a big enough deal to merit its own thread.

Korten

Banned

Oh, I think everyone mistook me... When I said dedicated book discussion, I meant in this thread. So like I would edit the thread title to say: "Now discussing Halo: Broken Circle." And then after enough time I'll remove it and discussion will continue as normal.

So for example the thread title would be:

Halo Lore Thread - Now Discussing Broken Circle [Tagged Spoilers Beware]

Maybe even the specific page number of where the discussion begins.

Oh, I think everyone mistook me... When I said dedicated book discussion, I meant in this thread. So like I would edit the thread title to say: "Now discussing Halo: Broken Circle." And then after enough time I'll remove it and discussion will continue as normal.

So for example the read title would be:

Ah! Yeah, good thought.

So for example the thread title would be:

I think that makes sense. Good idea.

Okay if the last few things I read were the forerunner trilogy, what should I read.

What other books have you read? First Strike, Fall of Reach, and Ghosts of Onyx are musts.

In terms of newer books, the Kilo-Five Trilogy is another one (though not everyone here is a fan).

LordOfChaos

Was there any more info released on the mysterious ship that was in CE's terminal 6?

We really know nothing more about it, and it may never become important. Remember, the Librarian had over 100 (126 or something like that) "favored" intelligent species, so intelligence in the galaxy is likely to have much more than just the humans, covanant, flood, and forerunners.

I do want it to be explored though, if a civilization achieved space flight so much earlier than the covvies or humans after the halo ring firing, they could be pretty advanced and powerful indeed, maybe enough to stomp the two prior. Unless they reset themselves or wiped themselves out, or the flood ate them, etc.

My other theory is that the spacecraft was just in flight when the ring fired, and it simply shot through space for millennia until hitting the ring. That's a boring theory, and some people will refute it with the 7 life monitors shown in the terminal.

My strongest feeling is that it was just a way to show 343s solitude and longing for information, a bit of throwaway lore, really. But I do hope it's expored, as are other intelligent species in the galaxy. The Mantle of responsibility should cover more than just the Covanant races.

TheOddOne

I'm well aware, but that doesn't mean they couldn't fit that in somehow.

He was in charge during the events on that Halo. Who knows if the Covenant found that ship or not while 343 was busy being distracted by the Flood and the Chief?
True, it would also be a good way to bridge the gap to Halo 5.

Tablo

What other books have you read? First Strike, Fall of Reach, and Ghosts of Onyx are musts.

In terms of newer books, the Kilo-Five Trilogy is another one (though not everyone here is a fan).

By that I meant I have read everything up to and including the forerunner stuff. Don't think I got to the one with a red dress or something on the cover. Okay so Kilo five.

By that I meant I have read everything up to and including the forerunner stuff. Don't think I got to the one with a red dress or something on the cover. Okay so Kilo five.

Yup, the one with the girl in the red dress on the cover is the third book of that trilogy.

LordOfChaos

Dayyum. I wasn't really into this Halo Escalation comic series, but I read it anyways and am glad I did. 10 really absorbed me into it.

I'm not surprised by the end though, as soon as they said it would be a self contained story, I figured they'd kill or contain the Didact such that people who finished 4 but didn't read it would figure he just died in halo 4, while comic readers would know a bit more but come to the same end.

Dayyum. I wasn't really into this Halo Escalation comic series, but I read it anyways and am glad I did. 10 really absorbed me into it.

I'm not surprised by the end though, as soon as they said it would be a self contained story, I figured they'd kill or contain the Didact such that people who finished 4 but didn't read it would figure he just died in halo 4, while comic readers would know a bit more but come to the same end.

I'm pissed. The entire Halo series has been about the mystery of the Forerunners. Halo 4 finally introduces us to what may be the final living Forerunner... and then they kill him in a severely rushed comic book, with shitty art? My jimmies have been officially rustled.

Also, they totally wasted the reintroduction of Blue team. So mad.

Korten

Banned
I really enjoyed this issue! I thought it was pretty epic. :D

I think I agree with John, more likely the Didact was contained, not killed.

I'm pissed. The entire Halo series has been about the mystery of the Forerunners. Halo 4 finally introduces us to what may be the final living Forerunner... and then they kill him in a severely rushed comic book, with shitty art? My jimmies have been officially rustled.

The Didact is almost certainly not the final living forerunner. And while the art is shitty, I do like the writing in the last few issues. So I'm okay with it, on the balance.

Toa TAK

Banned
If you haven't seen it, big fictional tidbits in the latest Halo bulletin.

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-9-24-14

Was really great to meet Grim and the guy behind Catalog at PAX. They’re definitely interested in answering those small questions Halo fans have to tide us over for the big stuff...

So the Drinols are still in, huh?

I'm very interested.

As for Escalation #10, it was cool, I guess. The Didact over both Halo 4 and though the comics have felt like a waste and was much more interesting in the Forerunner Trilogy.

Fuchsdh

So the Drinols are still in, huh?

I'm very interested.

As for Escalation #10, it was cool, I guess. The Didact over both Halo 4 and though the comics have felt like a waste and was much more interesting in the Forerunner Trilogy.

I asked Frankie a while back if some of the stuff in Conversations of the Universe was essentially retconned, given the discrepancies between CEA and Spark's logs, but Frankie responded (I think here on GAF) that as he wrote parts of it, they're still very interested in keeping it as part of the canon. Hopefully sooner rather than later :)

Bsigg12

They say he's contained so I expect him to show up again somewhere down the line.

I do agree about Blue Team

Euron

They say he's contained so I expect him to show up again somewhere down the line.

I do agree about Blue Team
Interesting. I haven't read Escalation but
I'm really surprised they brought the Ur-Didact back in it. I really hope he doesn't return, he's honestly a pretty mediocre villain. And the events on Installation 3 would be too difficult to explain in game. IMO the Master Builder would have made a much better villain, especially since he's the creator of the damn Halo Rings. And I really feel that 343 should get Greg Bear to write for Halo games.

Toa TAK

Banned
I asked Frankie a while back if some of the stuff in Conversations of the Universe was essentially retconned, given the discrepancies between CEA and Spark's logs, but Frankie responded (I think here on GAF) that as he wrote parts of it, they're still very interested in keeping it as part of the canon. Hopefully sooner rather than later :)
That would be such a joy. I pretty much need it all to come to life in some way, shape, or form!
And I really feel that 343 should get Greg Bear to write for Halo games.
I think this is a pretty cool idea. And I know people aren't a fan of her, but I would welcome Karen Traviss to write as well. I like the stuff she's done already and she wrote Gears of War 3, which I thought had the best story.

That would be such a joy. I pretty much need it all to come to life in some way, shape, or form!

I think this is a pretty cool idea. And I know people aren't a fan of her, but I would welcome Karen Traviss to write as well. I like the stuff she's done already and she wrote Gears of War 3, which I thought had the best story.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But seriously, no. She's pretty awful.

Euron

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But seriously, no. She's pretty awful.
She's really not that good with Halo. Her constant hate for Halsey is annoying. I wouldn't have her write a game.

Also, does anyone think we'll see anything related to the precursors in Halo 5? They're the most interesting part of the Halo Universe for me by far right now.

LordOfChaos

Also, does anyone think we'll see anything related to the precursors in Halo 5? They're the most interesting part of the Halo Universe for me by far right now.

I wonder where people stand on that one. There were people disappointed with the reveal of the forerunners since it made them less mysterious and more like mere space humans. Other people were ok with it, but I'd wonder if even they would want some aspects of the Haloverse left in shadow so you can stay in wonder.

I do however want to know what of the things the Primordial said were true and what were lies. And were Precursors all like graveminds? Did they really exist before what we think was the big bang? Did they imprison the Primordial on purpose, as a sort of failsafe over the falling of their species?

She's really not that good with Halo. Her constant hate for Halsey is annoying. I wouldn't have her write a game.

I think we'll start to see the Precursors rear their head in Halo 5, but they'll stay mysterious for a little while.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think we'll start to see the Precursors rear their head in Halo 5, but they'll stay mysterious for a little while.

As in discussions within the game about the Precursors, or an actually Precursor showing up?

Because I thought that all the Precursors were extinct at this time besides the ones "existing" within the Flood.

Ahh Ok.

It'd be nice fore them to reveal more info about them, but at the same time it's nice to have them as this mysterious prehistoric race behind everything.

Yeah. Although, they've got an inherent advantage in that they're so advanced their tech is basically a step removed from being outright magical; you can learn a ton about them, and there'll still be a lot left to explain.

greenleafcm

Neo Member

The Didact is not dead. Brian Reed confirmed it on his Twitter in the fuss that happened after the issue was released. Unfortunately though the related tweets have since been deleted (I assume he wasn't supposed to say anything because of some non-disclosure stuff).

So really we're left with the same status quo that we had at the end of 'Halo 4' - the Chief is still with the UNSC, and the Didact has suffered a setback that thus far has unknown consequences.

I do agree Blue Team's reunion could've been so much better. However, I really, really hope that this comic was just a primer for finally bringing Blue Team into the main games. I discussed earlier on this thread how it would almost be more difficult for the story to leave them out at this point, and now after these issues I think my point has only been strengthened. Though I suppose we'll still just have to wait and see...

Top Bottom