• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Tegernako

Banned
ibyif8rzdUtrvr.gif

And here's a statement by Frankie himself:

"I am not confirming or denying what the thing you see in the footage is, but I would note that Scarabs are also worm colonies. Look closely at the joints."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135148759&postcount=48

Korten

Banned
ibyif8rzdUtrvr.gif

And here's a statement by Frankie himself:

"I am not confirming or denying what the thing you see in the footage is, but I would note that Scarabs are also worm colonies. Look closely at the joints."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135148759&postcount=48

Interesting... If it is a Hunter colony, what is it doing? At least as far as I can remember, we haven't seen them do that. Though if I had to guess, they were making the "fake" human to lure the soldiers in by thinking it was real.

tootsi666

Interesting... If it is a Hunter colony, what is it doing? At least as far as I can remember, we haven't seen them do that. Though if I had to guess, they were making the "fake" human to lure the soldiers in by thinking it was real.
Fake human sounds plausible.

They're apparently fairly intelligent, and they waged a fairly effective Guerilla war against the Covenant for a while IIRC. Might just be old tricks reasserting themselves.

Tegernako

Banned
Just how intelligent is a single worm?

Lekgolo are often described as the most "alien" of The Covenant, it's mentioned that they are mysterious even to their comrades. This was commented upon by the Elite that killed his Shipmaster in Ghosts of Onyx who HELPED him when in any other situation they would have killed him instantly.

We have never seen them act like this before, what's forced them out of their shell?

...okay that was a bad pun but still!

Korten

Banned
Just how intelligent is a single worm?

Lekgolo are often described as the most "alien" of The Covenant, it's mentioned that they are mysterious even to their comrades. This was commented upon by the Elite that killed his Shipmaster in Ghosts of Onyx who HELPED him when in any other situation they would have killed him instantly.

We have never seen them act like this before, what's forced them out of their shell?

...okay that was a bad pun but still!

Aren't the colonies a hive mind?

Tegernako

Banned
Aren't the colonies a hive mind?
Well, I said that wrong. I meant a single Colony.

I don't think so, at least not in the traditional sense. Like, there isn't a governing overmind or anything.
Right the worms in each colony act more like a Hive mind but they are independent of other colonies I believe.

If these are Lekgolo, what's making them act like this? A hunter form would be much more useful then a trap I would think.

Korten

Banned
I don't think so, at least not in the traditional sense. Like, there isn't a governing overmind or anything.

Yeah, but aren't each colonies a hive mind? So if you have 2 hunters, their minds aren't connected but all the worms in them are.

Well, I said that wrong. I meant a single Colony.

That's what I mean't as well. D:

Edit: Also even if it's just for a short time, I like seeing this thread alive. :D

Yeah, but aren't each colonies a hive mind? So if you have 2 hunters, their minds aren't connected but all the worms in them are.

Edit: Also even if it's just for a short time, I like seeing this thread alive. :D

I think it's more of a merged mind sort of deal. All the worms in a colony can operate as one, but there isn't the hierarchy typically denoted by a hive mind.

Tegernako

Banned

Until MCC comes out that is =]

Terminals ahoy! New book! Nightfall!

Korten

Banned
Until MCC comes out that is =]

Terminals ahoy! New book! Nightfall!

Hnnngg... I can't wait for the terminals. Halo CEA's were amazing.

We're going to have to go over every single one, five times over, picking up on any more details than initally shown.

I think it's more of a merged mind sort of deal. All the worms in a colony can operate as one, but there isn't the hierarchy typically denoted by a hive mind.

"A Mgalekgolo is not a single organism, but rather a collective of small, orange, eel-like creatures called Lekgolo. In
order to form a Mgalekgolo, dozens of individual Lekgolo bond with one another both physically and neurologically to
form a single "hive-minded" community."

Yeah, so you're right. They can "merge" but they seem to be able to operate on their own.

Though I doubt a single Lekgolo would be very useful. lol.

They look a bit short to me, I always had the impression that a Lekgolo is about 1.5 meter long.

1.4 m according to the Halo 3 Beastarium

1 Hunter = an entire colony (Mgalekgog). Contact Harvest describes the union as a hive mind.

Wasn't there something about an Elite carrying out a suicide bombing? This could be that.

Yeah, it looks like a yet-to-be-primed plasma grenade or something. People were theorizing it's a relic of some kind, but that's doubtful.

Could be the canister with the human killing element in it, which sets everything into motion.

Ein Bear

What are the more recent books like HaloGAF? Worth a read? I was hugely into the Nylund novels during the Bungie years, but that awful Karen Traviss book that pissed all over Nylund's characters really turned me off, and I haven't really kept up with Halo lore since.

Did things get better?

Korten

Banned
What are the more recent books like HaloGAF? Worth a read? I was hugely into the Nylund novels during the Bungie years, but that awful Karen Traviss book that pissed all over Nylund's characters really turned me off, and I haven't really kept up with Halo lore since.

Did things get better?

Mortal Dicata, the last of the Karen Traviss book is still the latest book. A new book however comes out in 2 weeks by a new author and it's all about the Elites and San Shyuum.

Did things get better?

The Greg Bear Forerunner books are very good, but also very strange. There's an almost... folkloreish feel to them in places. Not sure how else to put it. The Karen Traviss books improve over time, but that's not saying much.

Fuchsdh

To offer a balance, I recommend all the Halo books save The Cole Protocol. They're certainly of varying quality, but I've found them all worthwhile reading as books, as well as pieces of the fiction.

As to that gif… gotta' be Hunters, I think. Lekgolo worms seem like they would be the only thing that could survive the extreme stresses and environment on the Halo ring at this point. They are definitely an unexplored race, especially outside their usual husks, so the idea that they could lure enemies into a trap is cool, if at this point confusing (I never got the sense that the Lekgolo themselves cared that much about humans aside from what they've been ordered to do, so if the other Covenant are dead I don't see why they'd be so active.)

I don't think they'll retcon the Flood being able to infect Lekgolo. The Flood have to have a nervous system to work on… the implication has always been that the Lekgolo simply don't have one similar enough to most sentient life for them to work.

Tegernako

Banned
I don't think they'll retcon the Flood being able to infect Lekgolo. The Flood have to have a nervous system to work on… the implication has always been that the Lekgolo simply don't have one similar enough to most sentient life for them to work.
There's actually a lingering question of whether or not the Lekgolo are actually by themselves sentient enough to even be affected by the Halo Arrays firing.

It's an interesting line of thought.

What do you guys think the context is for this part of the trailer?

Jul 'Mdama's forces attacking a colony?
That has to be some sort of weapon. They said Nightfall starts on one planet and moves to the Halo Ring...think about it. If the Elites pull out some new weapon that only affects humans they might have traced it to 04 if they managed to capture an Elite alive or something. That could be the catalyst that moves the plot to the Halo ring. It wouldn't just be done randomly I would think.

Fuchsdh

There's actually a lingering question of whether or not the Lekgolo are actually by themselves sentient enough to even be affected by the Halo Arrays firing.

It's an interesting line of thought.

Well, until basically Halo Legends, you could have assumed that the Lekgolo might have been spared, because all the Halo needed to do was scramble a bunch of sentient brains—as described in Halo CE (and not exactly dwelled upon at any point beyond that) you could assume that the Halo merely killed things to halt the Flood's spread and starve it.

With Legends and beyond, the Halo has been seen to actually wipe away Flood and uninfected biomass; this makes a bit more sense then "leave the Flood a lot of food lying around", and it works for me on the mechanic of the Flood are sentient as well, even if they're parasites.

Starkster

Neo Member
Well, Escalation #11 was a total bummer. New Nightfall trailer though!

VdPAGFv.png

ZcfibTw.png

I'm finding it intriguing that the arm holding onto what appears to be the Colonels (judging from the split open scar tissue) looks synthetic in nature, almost like a Geth arm from Mass Effect lol. The second frame afterwards is one of the squadmembers, so either she has some kind of synthetic arm, or I have no idea what we're looking at.

Well, Escalation #11 was a total bummer. New Nightfall trailer though!

VdPAGFv.png

ZcfibTw.png

I'm finding it intriguing that the arm holding onto what appears to be the Colonels (judging from the split open scar tissue) looks synthetic in nature, almost like a Geth arm from Mass Effect lol. The second frame afterwards is one of the squadmembers, so either she has some kind of synthetic arm, or I have no idea what we're looking at.

Just looks like cloth to me. There's what appears to be a pocket/pouch at the end of the arm.

Korten

Banned
I really liked Escalation #11, except for the art. (Seriously, hire better artists.)

I don't mind if every story isn't world ending, just seeing what the characters are up to is enough for me!

Also will be updating main post soonish!

Ramadeus

Neo Member
The new Halo Escalation is fine to a certain respect, but as a series it (personally) suffers in the minutiae of lore details.

Such as how an Unggoy in issue #11 can apparently survive breathing in the same atmosphere as Humans and Kig-Yar without a methane re-breather. It's such a little detail that anybody can overlook under such a tight deadline; but my inner lore nerd is just fuming at the thought that these issues are going without editorial oversight, especially when they're covering such important topics such as ... I don't know, the apparent death of the Didact and the return of Blue team to the EU?

Elites with the wrong number of digits, Kelly and Linda having their vital roles to Blue team mixed up, 25 light year ranged Halos and now oxygen breathing Grunts.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The new Halo Escalation is fine to a certain respect, but as a series it (personally) suffers in the minutiae of lore details.

Such as how an Unggoy in issue #11 can apparently survive breathing in the same atmosphere as Humans and Kig-Yar without a methane re-breather. It's such a little detail that anybody can overlook under such a tight deadline; but my inner lore nerd is just fuming at the thought that these issues are going without editorial oversight, especially when they're covering such important topics such as ... I don't know, the apparent death of the Didact and the return of Blue team to the EU?

Elites with the wrong number of digits, Kelly and Linda having their vital roles to Blue team mixed up, 25 light year ranged Halos and now oxygen breathing Grunts.

But hey, the art is fantastic though, right?

Right?

So do we have any idea if the Terminals in MCC will give us any insight into where Halo 5 is going? Last time I checked they were about the Arbiter.

So do we have any idea if the Terminals in MCC will give us any insight into where Halo 5 is going? Last time I checked they were about the Arbiter.

If the teaser is an indication, the stories about the Arbiter are being told to Locke. I imagine it'll be like HCEA's terminals that were about the past, but linked to the future.

If the teaser is an indication, the stories about the Arbiter are being told to Locke. I imagine it'll be like HCEA's terminals that were about the past, but linked to the future.

Yeah. Personally, I am and always have been interested in learning more about the Forerunners and Precursors. Even the tiniest bit of info in MCC would be awesome.

Euron

So looking back on the Halo 5/MCC E3 Trailer, it sounds like the Arbiter is talking to Locke about finding Chief because of some great threat that emerged. It can't just be
the return of The Didact
, can it? (Don't even know if that had to be tagged). I'd like to think of it as a sign that the Flood has returned or something worse is out there.

Either way, I just don't want to fight Prometheans, at least their Halo 4 forms, again. Really disliked them in the last game since they were just respawning bullet sponges that sometimes had one hit kill weapons.

So looking back on the Halo 5/MCC E3 Trailer, it sounds like the Arbiter is talking to Locke about finding Chief because of some great threat that emerged. It can't just be
the return of The Didact
, can it? (Don't even know if that had to be tagged). I'd like to think of it as a sign that the Flood has returned or something worse is out there.

Either way, I just don't want to fight Prometheans, at least their Halo 4 forms, again. Really disliked them in the last game since they were just respawning bullet sponges that sometimes had one hit kill weapons.

I think 343 knows that many people were not thrilled fighting Prometheans and I expect to see much deeper enemies in Halo 5. Both Promethean enemies (new and old), as well as possible return of a few Covenant enemies that were absent in Halo 4, maybe the Flood here and there and possibly some more actual living Forerunners will also be thrown into the mix. Even if they're fighting at our side, rather than against us. Or maybe a bit of both.

Top Bottom