• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fathead

I'm trying to get all these books and stuff together...the lists above do not have Cole Protocol?

Also, what about the comics?

Cole protocol provides some background on the arbiter and Jacob Keyes. Past that it is a very stand alone story. It isn't terrible but it does feel disconnected.

You're welcome.

<3

*swoon*

Ahem..
*book spoilers inbound*

So I finally finished my read through of Primoridum (2nd time).. holy crap.

There really is a lot of walking, but the book feels like a slow burn, so much exposition on the Forerunners, ancient Humans, 'shaping sickness', and everything else.

And holy crap, from the point where Chaka's Lord of Admirals meets with Riser's Yprin.. AMAZEBALLS (I hate that saying, but it fits, so.. whatever). It's like the book goes into overdrive from that point. Lore overload. I couldn't put it down last night and stayed up waaaaaay too late, but it was worth it. I remember reading it for the first time and being like.. "is that.. could it be.. is it really 343GS?"

And the Primordial speech at the end! Ahhhhhh!! So sweet, so much sweetness.

I had totally forgotten about "Installation 07". I sure hope we get to visit this in Halo 5 or some other media. Seemed like "Nightfall" was the perfect setup for visiting Installation 07.

On to Silentium...

Fuchsdh

*swoon*

Ahem..
*book spoilers inbound*

So I finally finished my read through of Primoridum (2nd time).. holy crap.

There really is a lot of walking, but the book feels like a slow burn, so much exposition on the Forerunners, ancient Humans, 'shaping sickness', and everything else.

And holy crap, from the point where Chaka's Lord of Admirals meets with Riser's Yprin.. AMAZEBALLS (I hate that saying, but it fits, so.. whatever). It's like the book goes into overdrive from that point. Lore overload. I couldn't put it down last night and stayed up waaaaaay too late, but it was worth it. I remember reading it for the first time and being like.. "is that.. could it be.. is it really 343GS?"

And the Primordial speech at the end! Ahhhhhh!! So sweet, so much sweetness.

I had totally forgotten about "Installation 07". I sure hope we get to visit this in Halo 5 or some other media. Seemed like "Nightfall" was the perfect setup for visiting Installation 07.

On to Silentium...

Yeah, years from now I'd like to have a Nightfall postmortem, because it seems pretty clear from production and story angles, it seems to have run into some issues...

...and I never found the walking stuff in Primordium that bothersome, but then again I never complained about the campaign in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows either.

I'm pretty miffed about Broken Circle not having a hardcover. I'm pretty sure this means the rest won't either, as I bet they'll all match the paperback dimensions of BC.

Oh, hey, welcome back :)

Also.. I noticed that Halopedia is listing the Escalation "Absolute Record" story arc to have 6 issues now! It was listed as 2 before. That's a meaty amount of comics to cover the story, must be important or something!

Issue 19, "The Absolute Record #1" is scheduled to arrive on June 24th, so I am guessing the saga should last through the end of November.. so either the last issue takes place chronologically AFTER Halo 5, or maybe answers some questions we'll have after playing the game?

http://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Escalation

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038937

but its also mixed in with the Hunt the Truth thread.

Think it's over now though.. Spoilers.. I guess
BB is a dead person.

x-ray_1.jpg

x-ray_2.jpg

x-ray_3.jpg

x-ray_4.jpg

I know nothing compared to really consuming the media but is there a particular wiki (I've seen that Halo has multiple) to read with maybe a super detailed timeline or that sort of thing? Wiki or not.

Also one for Warcraft if people know :p

Back to playing the MCC....

Toa TAK

Banned
I know nothing compared to really consuming the media but is there a particular wiki (I've seen that Halo has multiple) to read with maybe a super detailed timeline or that sort of thing? Wiki or not.

Also one for Warcraft if people know :p

Back to playing the MCC....
Halopedian my man.

Well, BB is a flash of a deceased male who worked with Halsey. He committed suicide, I believe.

Well, my thinking is those images are not Graham Alban (who became BB), but of a Spartan-II subject that he worked on. That the images are showing the changes due to augmentation.

Steven Fry, Anthony Hopkins, Steven Fry.

I'll get behind this. Steven Fry, Hopkins when
he goes rampant.

I squinted through the entire episode. I'm lost. I have no idea what's going on. So many spinning plates.

Less plates, more wheels, spinning within wheels.

I guarantee that FERO is going to turn out to be Serina Osman using Ben to discredit the Chief, the Spartan program, and the remaining old-school brass from ONI.

Of HuntTheTruth?

What do you need explained? I feel like it's done a masterful job of slowly amp'ing up the drama.

Oh I've been following very closely. I'm just very curious with where 343i are taking this going into Halo 5. It's exciting.

I really hope there will be a "proper" introduction to Blue Team. Like a whole rundown of everything they've done together and such. More than just through terminals or outside media, it needs to be up front in the campaign.

Oh I've been following very closely. I'm just very curious with where 343i are taking this going into Halo 5. It's exciting.

I really hope there will be a "proper" introduction to Blue Team. Like a whole rundown of everything they've done together and such. More than just through terminals or outside media, it needs to be up front in the campaign.

Well it's interesting to note they're not with 117 here, otherwise I'm sure it would have been mentioned.

If it is a doppelganger then I could see real Chief and Blue Team taking them down, maybe exposing another ONI conspiracy.

I think they could save the full history for the terminals or something similar. What they need to do is get the player to care about them, which can be accomplished through an education and a demonstration. Locke (or whoever) gives the player the lowdown on Blue Team, just a cliff notes type deal, and we see them in action, wrecking shit up. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted? Amazon.com has the first chapter of "Hunters in the Dark" online:
Luther Mann’s dreams were entrenched in that time when he had been a child, fleeing for his life from the only world he had known. He remembered his mother shouting at him and hurting him. His eventual reconciliation with his mother would run through his mind, only to be annihilated by her suicide.

It wasn’t your fault that she did that went through his head, but even as a grown-up, he didn’t entirely believe that. To this day, so many years after her lifeless body had been discovered, he still told himself that he was somehow, in some way, responsible. That maybe if he had done more, been cleverer, a better son, a better man . . .

. . . maybe she would have found something to live for.

When he awoke, his body was shaking and covered in sweat. He sat up, rubbing his face and moaning softly. It had been a long while since he had dreamt of her, and he certainly hadn’t missed it.

Luther could not recall the last time he slept in a normal room.

It wasn’t as if he didn’t own one. He had perfectly vivid memories of his own rather sedate apartment. Actually, in retrospect, sedate might not have been the proper word to describe his facilities. His apartment back on Earth, situated on the third floor of an unremarkable building in an equally unremarkable section of Seattle, had the bare minimum of accoutrements that one would expect for a place that someone was actually living in. That was because Luther spent, at most, a grand total of eight weeks there during any given year.
More at amazon.com.

Posted? Amazon.com has the first chapter of "Hunters in the Dark" online:

More at amazon.com.

That's awesome! Thank you!

Zeta Halo! Wasn't it supposed to be 'shrouded in perpetual cloud'? I suppose a lot can change in 100,000 years though.

Excited! I am guessing that causes them to see an answer on The Ark. Sounds like a good story. I hope they find some Mendicant Bias information while they're there! Maybe even records or the destroyed remains of
The Primordial

Excited!

Well it's a bit early, considering most of the stories aren't even out yet. They want digital sales. They don't want people just holding out for a physical release. Dat double dip bruh.

i know all about that Double dip (bought MCC physical and Digital because i was marking out so hard)... and about how 343 still keeps fans/consumers in the dark about a lot of things.

they should just announce that they are doing another Evolutions with all the digital stuff so that people that like paper can plan to buy and own (drm free) the stories.

will any of these digital stories be collected into a physical collection ala Evolutions?

i know all about that Double dip (bought MCC physical and Digital because i was marking out so hard)... and about how 343 still keeps fans/consumers in the dark about a lot of things.

they should just announce that they are doing another Evolutions with all the digital stuff so that people that like paper can plan to buy and own (drm free) the stories.

I would imagine (having no solid knowledge of either way) that producing another Evolutions-style book would probably be determined by how well the digital versions sold. If they bomb, and bomb hard, I doubt they'd ever bother putting them in print form.

Hunters in the Dark is also available as a good, old-fashioned, DRM-free, paperback book though, should you so desire!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1476795851/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think New Blood (200 pages), Saints Testimony (80 pages?), and Shadow of Intent (128 pages?) are digital novellas. New Blood was $4.99 which I guess seems fair for 200 pages. I hope the other two are cheaper. $1.99 and $2.99 respectively would be nice! Then you'd end up with about 400 pages of Halo content for about the same price as a new book.

Considering they're explicitly calling them all "digital first", they're at least leaving the door open for physical releases, and considering the lengths, I think "Evolutions Vol. 3" would be the most logical approach. But yeah, it's a bit early to be announcing anything yet.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
No idea if folks are aware, but Chapter One of Hunters in the Dark is out..

Zeta Halo

CHAPTER 1

Luther Mann&#8217;s dreams were entrenched in that time when he had been a child, fleeing for his life from the only world he had known. He remembered his mother shouting at him and hurting him. His eventual reconciliation with his mother would run through his mind, only to be annihilated by her suicide.

It wasn&#8217;t your fault that she did that went through his head, but even as a grown-up, he didn&#8217;t entirely believe that. To this day, so many years after her lifeless body had been discovered, he still told himself that he was somehow, in some way, responsible. That maybe if he had done more, been cleverer, a better son, a better man . . .

. . . maybe she would have found something to live for.

When he awoke, his body was shaking and covered in sweat. He sat up, rubbing his face and moaning softly. It had been a long while since he had dreamt of her, and he certainly hadn&#8217;t missed it.

Luther could not recall the last time he slept in a normal room.

It wasn&#8217;t as if he didn&#8217;t own one. He had perfectly vivid memories of his own rather sedate apartment. Actually, in retrospect, sedate might not have been the proper word to describe his facilities. His apartment back on Earth, situated on the third floor of an unremarkable building in an equally unremarkable section of Seattle, had the bare minimum of accoutrements that one would expect for a place that someone was actually living in. That was because Luther spent, at most, a grand total of eight weeks there during any given year.

The rest of the time was spent out in the place where he was right now: the field. Luther Mann was a lifelong explorer. Throughout the galaxy was where he went, studying all manner of archaeology. The civilizations that he researched were hardly limited&#8212;every era in the history of man had been subjected to his scrutiny at one time or another.

And yet it wasn&#8217;t the limits of humanity that engaged him. Because no matter where he was or what he was in the midst of exploring, Luther&#8217;s imagination always tended to turn toward the same direction: one that took him as far from the study of humankind as archaeology could go.

Sooner or later, it always came back to the Forerunners.

The full chapter is here.

Might be old but new to me, so yay.

Just read that chapter of Hunters in the Dark... and that is some of the most atrocious prose I've ever read. 343, call Eric Nylund, and just ask him for a number. Whatever he says, double it and save us all.

Top Bottom