• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Just finished Last Light. Really, really great entry to the EU.

LL minor spoilers:

It was cool to see Beta and Gamma Company again. Have been wondering what happened to them since Ghosts of Onyx/Glasslands. Looks like we'll be seeing them again in the future, too.

Finally got Last Light. I've been told it is the best recent novel post Silentium.

It is excellent. Rounds out my favorite Halo stories to 6.

Silentium
Ghosts of Onyx
Saint's Testimony
Human Weakness
Mortal Dictata
Last Light

Just finished Last Light. Really great entry to the EU.

It was cool to see Beta and Gamma Company again. Have been wondering what happened to them since Ghosts of Onyx/Glasslands. Looks like we'll be seeing them again in the future, too.

Would love to see them in an ODST spiritual sequel.. multiple open world areas.. stuff to solve.. etc. Would be great in post-war times. Could be a fun game between main releases.

Would love to see them in an ODST spiritual sequel.. multiple open world areas.. stuff to solve.. etc. Would be great in post-war times. Could be a fun game between main releases.

Definitely is a possible setup.
With Veta as their leader/den mother
, and them out and about as playable characters... Certainly has loads of potential.

(adding tags for those who haven't read LL yet haha. I see some folks just bought it.)

An aside: I still need to read New Blood, but I'm waiting for the physical copy.

Fuchsdh

This is the first I've heard of it, but something very cool in the latest Canon Fodder:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-sending-out-an-sos

That’s not to say there won’t be some quieter moments though. In fact, a few of the chapters will introduce something quite new when it comes to typical Halo campaigns in the form of non-combat exploration spaces. These particular chapters will give you a chance to catch a breath, but also to explore, to look, and to listen. More than perhaps any other campaign in Halo history, there is story to be found to those willing to look and listen – whether that be to your squadmates themselves, or perhaps to other characters that are scattered throughout the environment. These non-combat chapters give players the chance to advance the story while not necessarily needing to simultaneously advance on the enemy. Plus, one of them in particular introduces one of the most excellent Unggoy in Halo history. Trust me.

This is seriously good news. It's nice to be able to explore without having to worry about being shot at, and I think it's an effective way to deepen the Halo universe by dropping you into the moments that you aren't just shooting everything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is the first I've heard of it, but something very cool in the latest Canon Fodder:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-sending-out-an-sos

This is seriously good news. It's nice to be able to explore without having to worry about being shot at, and I think it's an effective way to deepen the Halo universe by dropping you into the moments that you aren't just shooting everything.

The are also areas in combat missions that are literally just designed to be explored after an area has been cleared out. Maybe not on your first playthrough, but certainly subsequent attempts. Some of them are hidden, some of them are just off the beaten path.

Glass

That's awesome. I love the small jumping puzzle we saw a few weeks ago in mission 9 with the mini elite switch, was hoping there's be more like it.

texore

Looking through Halo lore and running through all the games have raised a few questions for me.

If Spartan augmentations allow them to virtually see in the dark, why does Master Chief have a flashlight?

If Spartan candidates are kidnapped at young age, 5 or 6 if I remember correctly, why do many of them still retain accents from their home world?

Well his Covenant faction (which GrimBrother will tell us to not call the Storm, but I refuse!) looks like they'll be toast by the end of H5G, but I'm hoping he escapes shaking his fist and vows to come back and get his revenge or whatnot. He seems too pragmatic to die upon the particular hill we see coming.

Hey, if you wanna keep being wrong, I can't stop you. ;-)

It would be like calling them "The Ranger Covenant" or "The Ultra Covenant."

Okay actually the last one actually sounds neat.

Fathead

Looking through Halo lore and running through all the games have raised a few questions for me.

If Spartan augmentations allow them to virtually see in the dark, why does Master Chief have a flashlight?

If Spartan candidates are kidnapped at young age, 5 or 6 if I remember correctly, why do many of them still retain accents from their home world?

Even enhanced eyes cant see if there is zero light.

In universe there isnt a reason. From a gameplay perspective, its easy for players to differentiate characters quickly if they have different accents.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Something that's bugged me for a long time is people referring to the Prometheans as "Forerunners", which seems to continue happening through the Halo 5 pre-release information. Not necessarily from 343, but from the media and the community. It's not in royal sense "fighting the Forerunners and their technology", but more that you are fighting individual Forerunner beings, as in "I hate the way the Forerunners teleport out of combat".

Someone correct me, but aren't they just artificial constructs driven by composed ancient humans, built to serve the Ur Didact? In fact, the only living Forerunner we actually see in Halo 4 is the Didact, correct?

I just need a sanity check on what I thought I knew.

Something that's bugged me for a long time is people referring to the Prometheans as "Forerunners", which seems to continue happening through the Halo 5 pre-release information. Not necessarily from 343, but from the media and the community. It's not in royal sense "fighting the Forerunners and their technology", but more that you are fighting individual Forerunner beings, as in "I hate the way the Forerunners teleport out of combat".

Someone correct me, but aren't they just artificial constructs driven by composed ancient humans, built to serve the Ur Didact? In fact, the only living Forerunner we actually see in Halo 4 is the Didact, correct?

I just need a sanity check on what I thought I knew.

Some of the Prometheans are... well, Forerunner Prometheans, composed. I don't know if we run into any of those, though.

It's more of a shorthand.

Some of the Prometheans are... well, Forerunner Prometheans, composed. I don't know if we run into any of those, though.

It's more of a shorthand.

With the upgrades to Knights now.. could be those are based on actually Forerunners?

The soldiers are just constructs I believe.. no composing needed.

Fuchsdh

Actually, one thing I hadn’t really thought all the way through—composed individuals apparently can’t be “copied”, otherwise there would have been no reason to compose humans, but theoretically they’re also fairly indefinite, right? (Cryptum says that durances have a half-life of millions of years, and it makes sense to me that things like bit rot wouldn’t be a huge issue for the Forerunners.) Cortana’s interception of data bursts from the Knights and the fact they can be resurrected strongly suggests that you don’t really “kill” a Knight, you’re just destroying its shell.

So then with the destruction of Requiem, does that mean all the humans composed on New Phoenix are gone, along with (presumably) what remained of the original Forerunner prometheans who fought with the Didact? Or is there some sort of “Prometheans in the cloud” option available?

Actually, one thing I hadn’t really thought all the way through—composed individuals apparently can’t be “copied”, otherwise there would have been no reason to compose humans, but theoretically they’re also fairly indefinite, right? (Cryptum says that durances have a half-life of millions of years, and it makes sense to me that things like bit rot wouldn’t be a huge issue for the Forerunners.) Cortana’s interception of data bursts from the Knights and the fact they can be resurrected strongly suggests that you don’t really “kill” a Knight, you’re just destroying its shell.

So then with the destruction of Requiem, does that mean all the humans composed on New Phoenix are gone, along with (presumably) what remained of the original Forerunner prometheans who fought with the Didact? Or is there some sort of “Prometheans in the cloud” option available?

We saw a giant "well of souls".. err Composers Abyss on Installation 03 during Escalation. They hadn't been converted yet.. but it hasn't been revisited either.

859 Static Carillon took that Halo to parts unknown so we don't know where those New Phoenix people went off too..

As far as Knights.. I imagine they'd need to upload somewhere before total destruction, maybe into the Domain (when working properly). If no watcher is around, or other device to store their essence, then they'd likely be gone for good?

Though if that was true.. then the Knights would be perfect weapons against the Flood.. assuming you could keep providing them new bodies to fight with, you'd never 'lose' a soldier.

Random17

In areas of low resources and Flood devastation, Knights would be perfect.

A person on another forum put it this way: you have an army you can basically "launch out of your hard drive", self repair, and require no Forerunner alloy to construct. They are made up of hardlight, after all, and that presumably only requires an energy input.

They have the intelligence and unpredictability of an organic, while giving the Flood absolutely nothing to feed on to the point that they even data purge themselves upon death. On top of that, they the advantages of a synthetic organisms to boot, including teleportation.*

That's significant, because as we saw in the Halo 2 missions Sacred Icon and QZ, the Flood is:

A. Very good at taking down Forerunner defenses and Aggressor Sentinel factories. Sentinels are kinda dumb and require resources to build, Knights have neither disadvantage.
B. Very resource efficient, surviving a 100,000 year war in -200C temperatures against an onslaught of Forerunner machines, with little organic material to feed off of.

*This is sound very Mass Effecty, but it's hard not to see the influence in recent Halo canon. ONI is becoming Cerberus lite, and even Halo 5's soundtrack had possible homages to Mass Effect.

Fuchsdh

B. Very resource efficient, surviving a 100,000 year war in -200C temperatures against an onslaught of Forerunner machines, with little organic material to feed off of.

Snarky heading title aside, I don't think the Flood were fighting the Forerunners on Delta Halo for basically the entire post-Array firing period. We get comments that 2401 Penitent Tangent was lax in his communiques, and a few millennia later there was an outbreak in one of the Flood containment centers... but their appearance and stance in H2 doesn't really make much sense to me.

As far as we know the only specimens stored on the ring were Pure forms and your usual assortment of spores/infection forms—even given the wildlife on the Halos I dunno how they'd have sufficient biomass for a Gravemind, let alone biomass after that to launch something that would keep the Sentinels preoccupied for thousands of years even without Monitor support. Also, how did humans penetrate the Sentinel Wall's shield before the Covenant, and how did many humans die and become Flood without Keyes and co.'s knowledge? (because you seemingly hear the human teams first come in contact with the Flood far inside the wall.)

(An auxiliary question is when did the Gravemind infest In Amber Clad, but I don't have an issue with it so much as I'd like it explored.)

(And what was 2401 doing? Because he seems quite competent when we see him in Halo 2, so why'd he stop transmitting and attending to his duties?)

Yeah I never could reconcile how there was enough mass to form a Gravemind, unless some other alien species landed there at some point. Could be that was what contributed to the Flood escaping?

Of course there are no Knights on the Halo's because they weren't invented yet by 343i.. but I wonder what the in-universe reason is? Halo's we're Builder projects.. so maybe they refused to use the Warrier-servants creations?

As far as In Amber Clad goes.. my guess would be after Johnson & Keyes get captured by Tartarus, the Flood infect the dead and remaining marines in the area. They likely had a Pelican waiting somewhere nearby (how they go there). Floodmarines take the Pelican back to the In Amber Clad and take over the ship. It'd make for a good short story though. Poor Marines :(

Though I wonder.. if that hadn't happened, perhaps High Charity was never destroyed.. the full fleet makes it to Earth and wiped out Humanity?

Fuchsdh

Yeah I never could reconcile how there was enough mass to form a Gravemind, unless some other alien species landed there at some point. Could be that was what contributed to the Flood escaping?

Of course there are no Knights on the Halo's because they weren't invented yet by 343i.. but I wonder what the in-universe reason is? Halo's we're Builder projects.. so maybe they refused to use the Warrier-servants creations?

The Knights are the Didact's own creation from his Prometheans, so it makes sense they aren't found anywhere else (although presumably they're adapted from an existing design.) The info we've gotten for the Promethean Soldiers elsewhere makes it sound like they're essentially relics, inactive and unused in any great capacity by the end of the Forerunner's reign. Sentinels are a better option for engaging the Flood, at least in smaller-scale infestations, and as you said there was factionalism among the different rates.

As far as In Amber Clad goes.. my guess would be after Johnson & Keyes get captured by Tartarus, the Flood infect the dead and remaining marines in the area. They likely had a Pelican waiting somewhere nearby (how they go there). Floodmarines take the Pelican back to the In Amber Clad and take over the ship. It'd make for a good short story though. Poor Marines :(

Though I wonder.. if that hadn't happened, perhaps High Charity was never destroyed.. the full fleet makes it to Earth and wiped out Humanity?

Good point about the Pelican. The Flood might have even beelined it for the transport even before the Index was reached, considering that once the shield was down the Pelican would presumably be exposed.

As for the capital never being destroyed, I think the Covenant-Human war would still have ended around the same time. High Charity was a warzone, no one was going to be moving off to invade Earth while they were busy killing each other; the only forces engaged on Earth were Truth's. High Charity also had an enormous amount of significance for everyone involved—no side would actually want to destroy it (which is partially why I think the Gravemind ended up taking it over. A combination of infighting to provide an effective defense plus unwillingness to take drastic steps before it was High Charity was too compromised.)

We saw a giant "well of souls".. err Composers Abyss on Installation 03 during Escalation. They hadn't been converted yet.. but it hasn't been revisited either.

859 Static Carillon took that Halo to parts unknown so we don't know where those New Phoenix people went off too..

As far as Knights.. I imagine they'd need to upload somewhere before total destruction, maybe into the Domain (when working properly). If no watcher is around, or other device to store their essence, then they'd likely be gone for good?

Though if that was true.. then the Knights would be perfect weapons against the Flood.. assuming you could keep providing them new bodies to fight with, you'd never 'lose' a soldier.

I presume that the Forerunner didn't rely on the Domain totally for such purposes, given the Domain's inscrutability and mutation. Not everything's going to be in the cloud, even in the future :) But yeah, as single-minded as the Didact was, I think ultimately he had a point with his strategy. The Knights were an effective way to combat the Flood, but it's his followers versus billions and billions of Flood. Even if they're a practically inexhaustible pool, you're limited by the number you can field without additional "converts".

Random17

Snarky heading title aside, I don't think the Flood were fighting the Forerunners on Delta Halo for basically the entire post-Array firing period. We get comments that 2401 Penitent Tangent was lax in his communiques, and a few millennia later there was an outbreak in one of the Flood containment centers... but their appearance and stance in H2 doesn't really make much sense to me.

As far as we know the only specimens stored on the ring were Pure forms and your usual assortment of spores/infection forms—even given the wildlife on the Halos I dunno how they'd have sufficient biomass for a Gravemind, let alone biomass after that to launch something that would keep the Sentinels preoccupied for thousands of years even without Monitor support. Also, how did humans penetrate the Sentinel Wall's shield before the Covenant, and how did many humans die and become Flood without Keyes and co.'s knowledge? (because you seemingly hear the human teams first come in contact with the Flood far inside the wall.)

(An auxiliary question is when did the Gravemind infest In Amber Clad, but I don't have an issue with it so much as I'd like it explored.)

(And what was 2401 doing? Because he seems quite competent when we see him in Halo 2, so why'd he stop transmitting and attending to his duties?)

The Flood had already penetrated the wall by that point. The Gravemind picked up Chief in the lake, and that lake is clearly visible behind the wall in the mission Sacred Icon.

The Knights are the Didact's own creation from his Prometheans, so it makes sense they aren't found anywhere else (although presumably they're adapted from an existing design.) The info we've gotten for the Promethean Soldiers elsewhere makes it sound like they're essentially relics, inactive and unused in any great capacity by the end of the Forerunner's reign. Sentinels are a better option for engaging the Flood, at least in smaller-scale infestations, and as you said there was factionalism among the different rates.

Good point about the Pelican. The Flood might have even beelined it for the transport even before the Index was reached, considering that once the shield was down the Pelican would presumably be exposed.

As for the capital never being destroyed, I think the Covenant-Human war would still have ended around the same time. High Charity was a warzone, no one was going to be moving off to invade Earth while they were busy killing each other; the only forces engaged on Earth were Truth's. High Charity also had an enormous amount of significance for everyone involved—no side would actually want to destroy it (which is partially why I think the Gravemind ended up taking it over. A combination of infighting to provide an effective defense plus unwillingness to take drastic steps before it was High Charity was too compromised.)

I presume that the Forerunner didn't rely on the Domain totally for such purposes, given the Domain's inscrutability and mutation. Not everything's going to be in the cloud, even in the future :) But yeah, as single-minded as the Didact was, I think ultimately he had a point with his strategy. The Knights were an effective way to combat the Flood, but it's his followers versus billions and billions of Flood. Even if they're a practically inexhaustible pool, you're limited by the number you can field without additional "converts".

They almost certainly took the Pelican that crashed near the moving platform. That was the one that Keyes and Johnson abandoned.

Finally caught up on the comics yesterday. Had only read up until issue 6 before then.

Pretty interesting altogether, though I wouldn't exactly say Escalation is the greatest thing in the world haha. Still, leaves the universe in an interesting place. Question though:

How the hell was the Didact apparently composed when the Halo 4 terminals explicitly state he could not be? I feel like I'm missing something else too, because Waypoint says Blue Team "tricked" him into composing himself, but in the comic as far as I could tell it looked like he just crashed into the planet on the Halo chunk and blew up. >.<

Mindwipe

Finally caught up on the comics yesterday. Had only read up until issue 6 before then.

Pretty interesting altogether, though I wouldn't exactly say Escalation is the greatest thing in the world haha. Still, leaves the universe in an interesting place. Question though:

How the hell was the Didact apparently composed when the Halo 4 terminals explicitly state he could not be? I feel like I'm missing something else too, because Waypoint says Blue Team "tricked" him into composing himself, but in the comic as far as I could tell it looked like he just crashed into the planet on the Halo chunk and blew up. >.<

Do you want an answer that's not "because Escalation is a (continuity important enough that it can't be ignored) train wreck"?

Well, he didn't really have any proof that it wouldn't work on his "new form", as he states... His reply is out of confidence in the theory of the Composer, not in actual testing of the science. He was clearly mistaken.

Fuchsdh

Well, he didn't really have any proof that it wouldn't work on his "new form", as he states... His reply is out of confidence in the theory of the Composer, not in actual testing of the science. He was clearly mistaken.

Given that we have no idea how the Composer actually works, let alone if they have any impact or multiplicative effect when used in conjunction, I don't think it makes much sense to worry much about it.

As a fan it's tough, but you can't fall into the "every character says the objective truth always" trap of canon-making.

Given that we have no idea how the Composer actually works, let alone if they have any impact or multiplicative effect when used in conjunction, I don't think it makes much sense to worry much about it.

As a fan it's tough, but you can't fall into the "every character says the objective truth always" trap of canon-making.

At face value... It contradicts itself. But this is Halo haha, and there's a lot of things that should not be taken at face value. The Didact was quite intelligent for sure, but he's gotten plenty wrong along the way. I'm thinking he was a bit clouded here, mostly by his own sense of superiority and basically being a know-it-all, to dumbly put it. Not to mention the intensity of their plight and last-minute efforts of combating the Flood when he knew what his wife and the Master Builder were planning.

shiba5

He didn't lie. He can't be composed by the Composer. He can be composed by SIX Composers. ;-)

(I didn't like how he was offed.)

raindoc

He didn't lie. He can't be composed by the Composer. He can be composed by SIX Composers. ;-)

(I didn't like how he was offed.)

Same here. I read that issue in a hurry at first and was initially under the impression that the Chief used the Index/separated the segment to fire a small "1-segment-Halo-pulse" in order to obliterate the Didact. Too bad I read this thread.

meh.

I didn't either... Seemed to... Uneventful. Which is why I think he'll be back in some form/way.

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd take over a/the Warden in H5, explaining why
Chief is granted access to a Guardian by a/the Warden and seen fighting a/the Warden later on. Really doubting that they'd kill him off for good in a comic book and not in-game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd take over a/the Warden in H5, explaining why
Chief is granted access to a Guardian by a/the Warden and seen fighting a/the Warden later on. Really doubting that they'd kill him off for good in a comic book and not in-game.

What I liked about that arc was that it gave us a little more resolution without vastly changing what 'game-only' people know. They saw the Didact fall into the slipspace portal.. to an unknown end. All the PEOPLE who went into that portal got composed.. so if the Didact shows up in Halo 5 (or later) as a composed entity it quasi makes sense.

The whole jaunt around the Composer Forge is just fluff, but adds in some cool lore points (Where IS Installation 03 now?!), but in the end it doesn't vastly change the overall story.

I feel in the past that's where 343i might have gone wrong, and gotten complaints that you need to read the EU to understand what's going on.

What I liked about that arc was that it gave us a little more resolution without vastly changing what 'game-only' people know. They saw the Didact fall into the slipspace portal.. to an unknown end. All the PEOPLE who went into that portal got composed.. so if the Didact shows up in Halo 5 (or later) as a composed entity it quasi makes sense.

Yes. This.

So I have to say I am a little disappointed in the Halo 5 Console bundle (and LE).. from a Lore perspective.

The limited edition of Halo 5 is pretty sparse with the lore.. it comes with Spartan Locke's orders.. which is just an in-universe one-sheet detailing his orders to go after 117. It's neat & well written.. but ultimately is just a puff piece. The other side of mine is in French, but seems to be the same info. The dossiers are cool, I guess, but nothing more than you'd get on Waypoint or something.

I guess I still feel spoiled with the Halsey journal from Halo: Reach. Even the Conversations from the Universe booklet was better in my opinion.

From a value perspective, I think the LE is fine, the game + req packs + impossibly-difficult-to-assemble-Guardian+Fall of Reach video is worth it, and I'm actually really happy the console came with a digital version, as I hate disks.

The console itself is really, really nice.

Noticed two lore-relevant dates on it.. 07-24-2557 and 10-28-2558.

7/24 appears to be the day Ivanoff station was attacked, and 10/28 seems to be 1 day after the events we've seen so far in the game. Curious to see how they relate to each other (and why they're on the console).

It's why I only bought the regular edition. Not enough extensive lore bits... Which is fine... I just can't justify the extra cost without meaty things like Halsey's journal.

Yeah, I wish I could have afforded the LCE with the Statue.. but that was out of my budget for sure if I wanted the console.

I have the OG Halo Xbox, Halo 3 360, Halo 4 360.. so I kind of had to keep the tradition going.

Side gripe: I wish the console came with 2 controllers like the Halo 4 360 did.. but I suppose with no couch co-op or multiplayer it would have been a little weird giving two controllers.

Anyway, still happy with it, just want more LORE in future Halo stuffs, ok based 343i?

Back on track.. still trying to figure out how to tie the dates together..

Ivanoff was where Chief got hit with the Composer but lived.. maybe it had other effects we haven't seen yet?

Master Chief is declared KIA on Oct 27th, 2558, so whatever happens on the 28th isn't established lore yet (from what we currently know). Safe to say that date will hold some major significance in Halo 5's events (and more specifically, Master Chief's evolution).

On the 27th, Team Osiris is on Sanghelios trying to hunt down Blue Team and also help Arbiter defend against the remnants of Jul's forces. It's also while on Sanghelios that the Warden Eternal tells Locke that he shall not pass, but that MC already had.

Christof

Neo Member
Master Chief is declared KIA on Oct 27th, 2558, so whatever happens on the 28th isn't established lore yet (from what we currently know). Safe to say that date will hold some major significance in Halo 5's events (and more specifically, Master Chief's evolution).

On the 27th, Team Osiris is on Sanghelios trying to hunt down Blue Team and also help Arbiter defend against the remnants of Jul's forces. It's also while on Sanghelios that the Warden Eternal tells Locke that he shall not pass, but that MC already had.

I'll note that HALO: ESCALATION #23 is published on the 28th.

Top Bottom