• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

True.. true.. I'm guessing we'll learn more about what Halsey knows in the beginning of the game in that issue.

Mostly involving
Cortana ;)

Ape

Banned
Just watched the 15 minute halo explained video. Anything I can watch to get the back stories on each team?

shiba5

Just watched the 15 minute halo explained video. Anything I can watch to get the back stories on each team?

I haven't watched all of them, but there's a YouTube channel called Halo Canon that has backstory videos on each team member.

Fuchsdh

Thanks I'll do that right now

E:also can someone explain the forerunner human war in a little more detail?

Not really that complicated. Humans fought the Flood, but in fleeing them ended up coming into conflct with the Forerunner. After a long war, in which the humans succeeded—or appear to have succeeded—in defeating the Flood, the Forerunners defeat the humans, and essentially "de-evolve" them, stripping them of their tech so they won't be a threat. They also attempt to learn the secret to defeating the Flood from the vanquished human leaders.

Thanks I'll do that right now

E:also can someone explain the forerunner human war in a little more detail?

Humans are getting screwed up by the flood, attempt escaping. While escaping they come into conflict with the forerunners, forerunners think the humans are expanding an empire so they fight. Forerunner wreck the humans and then use their pokemon powers to turn Raichu humans into Pikachu humans. Forerunners are exhausted and strapped for resources after the war and the flood comes by and wrecks them. Didact sees this and is super mad, uses the composer to format some of the remaining humans into mp4 files that he sticks inside his beatle borg prometheans which he then uses to fight the flood.

Not really that complicated. Humans fought the Flood, but in fleeing them ended up coming into conflct with the Forerunner. After a long war, in which the humans succeeded—or appear to have succeeded—in defeating the Flood, the Forerunners defeat the humans, and essentially "de-evolve" them, stripping them of their tech so they won't be a threat. They also attempt to learn the secret to defeating the Flood from the vanquished human leaders.

Yes

Humans are getting screwed up by the flood, attempt escaping. While escaping they come into conflict with the forerunners, forerunners think the humans are expanding an empire so they fight. Forerunner wreck the humans and then use their pokemon powers to turn Raichu humans into Pikachu humans. Forerunners are exhausted and strapped for resources after the war and the flood comes by and wrecks them. Didact sees this and is super mad, uses the composer to format some of the remaining humans into mp4 files that he sticks inside his beatle borg prometheans which he then uses to fight the flood.

No

Christof

Neo Member
Hey guys, thought I'd let you know that the Visualizing the Halo universe project is back live. Basically, it's a rotating set of themes where fans illustrate lesser-known and unseen parts of the Halo universe.

Latest subject is Ther' Vadam. You can read more about it at HBO, or on the main site. http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1209242

enjoyed flipping through the archive

http://visualizingthehalouniverse.com/image-archive/round-14/#jp-carousel-474
CHa0s's infected pheru

http://visualizingthehalouniverse.com/image-archive/round-10/#jp-carousel-334
DangerousDave's Zebra Combat Form

shiba5

Glad you liked it (the Zebra one). Didn't have time to finish it, like most of the entries I ended up submitting. One day I will do a finished piece... one day.

Is that a gazelle growing out of its back? Because that's both gross and awesome.

Master Chief is declared KIA on Oct 27th, 2558, so whatever happens on the 28th isn't established lore yet (from what we currently know). Safe to say that date will hold some major significance in Halo 5's events (and more specifically, Master Chief's evolution).

On the 27th, Team Osiris is on Sanghelios trying to hunt down Blue Team and also help Arbiter defend against the remnants of Jul's forces. It's also while on Sanghelios that the Warden Eternal tells Locke that he shall not pass, but that MC already had.

The 28th is the day Chief actually dies. The Oct. 27th 2560 date will eventually be explained with space crystals.

Fuchsdh

Is that a gazelle growing out of its back? Because that's both gross and awesome.

Yeah, I figured the Flood would get some amalgamated shambling masses like they had in Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor (which is still a damn hard to read/visually intelligible comic, but appreciate the crazy variety of Flood designs in it.)

Wvrs

Just how important is Escalation as a prerequisite to Halo 5? I've read all the books up to now, but never really enjoyed the Halo comics and they're right expensive.

Just how important is Escalation as a prerequisite to Halo 5? I've read all the books up to now, but never really enjoyed the Halo comics and they're right expensive.

http://www.halopedia.org/Escalation

Just read the summaries. I think it'll be pretty semi-important. Probably not needed to just understand what's going on, but it'll help you know peoples motivations (Jul, Halsey).

The art leaves something to be desired, though I feel it has gotten better over time.

Christof

Neo Member
Just finished the Forerunner saga audio books. Silentium was soo good.

I found it a very satisfying telling of the end of the forerunner civilization and the firing of the rings.

Just finished the Forerunner saga audio books. Silentium was soo good.

I found it a very satisfying telling of the end of the forerunner civilization and the firing of the rings.

Silentium is one of the best Halo books around. Soooo good. Make sure you track down the 'secret' epilogue.. it's good too.
Mendicant Bias!

Despite being a tad apprehensive about nosediving into the expanded Halo lore (starting with the books etc)...ordered the box set of the first 3 books...are these the 2010(or 2012, not sure) editions with some small corrections?

Kinda psyched. Want them to arrive now.

Yeah, I'd assume so. Amazon says this version was published in 2012 so it should be good. I'm not sure I'd notice inconsistencies unless I was analyzing it deeply anyway, or unless they were glaring.

I don't recall any major changes or revisions. Maybe some date stuff, but that's about it... and that only bothered some people 🍗

The alterations are very small, only a few typos (and a good few actually weren't fixed). The biggest difference is the collection of short stories and whatnot attached to the end of the books. Pretty neat. Petra was actually first introduced in an interesting story at the end of First Strike.

LordOfChaos

Hellcat armor description could be pretty big for canon

Helmet: Tests with Spartan-II veterans show near-perfect synchronization with HELLCAT armor, but compatible Spartan-IV operators require an acclimatization period and tweaks to their augmentation maintenance before deployment.

http://www.halopedia.org/HELLCAT-class_Mjolnir

So the armor
is from Ancient Humanity, and Spartan IIs can wear it while IVs have to have some other alterations. Implying IIs are getting pretty close to ancient humanity was, as some of us theorized.

comparison

http://i.imgur.com/AJ5jD8B.png?1

Finished reading Ghosts of Onyx today and was thirsty for more of Blue Team and the spartan-IIIs working together, googled where I'd find that next and everything pointed to Glasslands. Not having Glasslands yet, I dove into Last Light.

Imagine my joy when I find that Last Light perfectly continues the adventures from Ghosts of Onyx!

Over a hundred pages in so far, loving it.

Finished reading Ghosts of Onyx today and was thirsty for more of Blue Team and the spartan-IIIs working together, googled where I'd find that next and everything pointed to Glasslands. Not having Glasslands yet, I dove into Last Light.

Imagine my joy when I find that Last Light perfectly continues the adventures from Ghosts of Onyx!

Over a hundred pages in so far, loving it.

It does?!

*Scrambles to find ebook reader*

Yep!
Major hype. Last Light is in my top 5 favorite Halo novels, along with Ghosts of Onyx. I went into the novel dark, and had no idea to expect them to show up. It was great.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Well...other than the three complete novels in between them.....But I am not sure about the timeline for each book. It could be that the Last Light book take place between onyx and Glasslands?

Yep!
Major hype. Last Light is in my top 5 favorite Halo novels, along with Ghosts of Onyx. I went into the novel dark, and had no idea to expect them to show up. It was great.

And there is my answer.

Canonical order:

Fall of Reach
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Last Light

However, the S-III's don't have much of a role in Glasslands. Glasslands is a proper sequel to ONI and Halsey; Last Light is a proper sequel for the S-III's.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Canonical order:

Fall of Reach
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Last Light

What about the rest of the Kilo-Five books? Is Last Light between Glasslands and Thursday War? I guess it doesn't really matter since Blue team wasn't in anything past Glasslands.

What about the rest of the Kilo-Five books? Is Last Light between Glasslands and Thursday War?

Think of it as a parallel.

Ghosts of Onyx has 2 sequels:

Glasslands - immediately follows what happens to Halsey and ONI's involvement.​
Last Light - follows up on what happens to the S-III's.​

Thursday War and Mortal Dictata are sequels to Glasslands, and continue that branch.

The Kilo-Five Trilogy (concludes in April 2553)
Last Light (July 2553)

Why did the Librarian oppose her husband turning de-evolved humans into prometheans?

Yep.

She recognized their potential, and respected their right to the Mantle. The Ur-Didact did not, and wanted to basically eradicate humanity by effectively turning them into his own army of Prometheans. The Librarian wanted nothing to do with that, and she piggybacked on the Master Builder's overarching plan to use the Halo's against the Flood, as a way to salvage and protect humanity so that they would still have a chance to fulfill what the Precursors had predestined them to have.

Calm Killer

Think of it as a parallel.

Ghosts of Onyx has 2 sequels:

Glasslands - immediately follows what happens to Halsey and ONI's involvement.​
Last Light - follows up on what happens to the S-III's.​

Thursday War and Mortal Dictata are sequels to Glasslands, and continue that branch.

The Kilo-Five Trilogy (concludes in April 2553)
Last Light (July 2553)

Yup. Got it after I said. Thanks for confirming.

Fuchsdh

Hellcat armor description could be pretty big for canon

Helmet: Tests with Spartan-II veterans show near-perfect synchronization with HELLCAT armor, but compatible Spartan-IV operators require an acclimatization period and tweaks to their augmentation maintenance before deployment.

http://www.halopedia.org/HELLCAT-class_Mjolnir

So the armor
is from Ancient Humanity, and Spartan IIs can wear it while IVs have to have some other alterations. Implying IIs are getting pretty close to ancient humanity was, as some of us theorized.

comparison

http://i.imgur.com/AJ5jD8B.png?1

I will give some pretty big belly laughs when all this "Mendicant Bias is under the sand!" "John's geas will do X" stuff don't actually materialize.

I will give some pretty big belly laughs when all this "Mendicant Bias is under the sand!" "John's geas will do X" stuff don't actually materialize.

I hold out hope that Mendicant Bias will show up again, but I'm also reserving my expectations haha. Just seems odd to have all of that setup from the Forerunner Trilogy, which tied in the more obscure easter egg lore bits from Halo 3, only for it to get abandoned after Halo 4 (given that the events of Halo 4 would not have occurred without Mendicant's portal tinkering).

But eh. I'll enjoy it either way they go with it haha.

Fuchsdh

I hold out hope that Mendicant Bias will show up again, but I'm also reserving my expectations haha. Just seems odd to have all of that setup from the Forerunner Trilogy, which tied in the more obscure easter egg lore bits from Halo 3, only for it to get abandoned after Halo 4 (given that the events of Halo 4 would not have occurred without Mendicant's portal tinkering).

But eh. I'll enjoy it either way they go with it haha.

I think the people are forgetting is that they gave Greg Bear a really wide latitude because the tone was completely different. Having the geas, and the trippy description of Forerunner mutations or machinery, et al described in a book is a lot different from having it appear in the middle of the much more straightforward military sci-fi of the games. I'm not saying they won't bring up more of it, but I don't think they'd go so elaborate as people have dreamed up (not least of which because the concept of your player characters have a geas would be pretty hard to sell effectively in a first-person mode, unless you just made them chatter in-your-head characters like Cortana.)

I think the people are forgetting is that they gave Greg Bear a really wide latitude because the tone was completely different. Having the geas, and the trippy description of Forerunner mutations or machinery, et al described in a book is a lot different from having it appear in the middle of the much more straightforward military sci-fi of the games. I'm not saying they won't bring up more of it, but I don't think they'd go so elaborate as people have dreamed up (not least of which because the concept of your player characters have a geas would be pretty hard to sell effectively in a first-person mode, unless you just made them chatter in-your-head characters like Cortana.)

True. I'm not restricting my hopes to only the games though. Would be a great EU story- probably better told anyway, as it would most likely be too heady for a mainline game.

Having Mendicant show up in a game wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. The geas bit, I agree, would be really confusing for most folks.

Uh... First Strike?

Derp. I need coffee.

Canonical order:

Fall of Reach
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Last Light

Top Bottom