• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Mix

Real talk, shitty maps come out when they are built on the sprint mechanic. So no sprint is good(tons of other posts stated as such as well) so yes I'm worried about sprint or Other elements like Spartan abilities affecting map design.

this is a very logical concern, man, and I share it with you. I am worried about how some mechanics will work but I'm hopeful that 343 will do what is best for Halo.

this is a very logical concern, man, and I share it with you. I am worried about how some mechanics will work but I'm hopeful that 343 will do what is best for Halo.
Some of the responses about color and loadouts and shit in that IGN stream/interview today have me far more apprehensive than cautiously optimistic.

Wait didn't they say everyone starts out on even playing ground in Halo 5
Gonna go for the obvious Raggie Answer here. They also said halo 4 feels like halo.
And if you believe everything a dev says at face value then... I have some headlight fluid and elbow grease to sell you.

We don't honestly know their definition of even playing grounds. Shit bungie said Reach loadouts were even playing grounds. And halo 4 was "equal" because everyone had access to everything (when fully leveled with all dlc).

Madness

They tried very hard to, in so many words, say that there are loadouts but they're not necessarily loadouts. Also, they're calling them weapon sets.

I don't know, it doesn't matter if you can't fully customize loadouts, it still creates unequal starts. So it still impacts the game if someone chooses BR, someone chooses SMG and someone else chooses carbine. At least they acknowledged in the chat killcams is a direct Call of Duty influenced addition. Give me the ability to rotate camera around my body, switch to a team-mate over sering a clip of how I died anyday. I'd be fine with a final killcam though.

They tried very hard to, in so many words, say that there are loadouts but they're not necessarily loadouts. Also, they're calling them weapon sets.

I don't know, it doesn't matter if you can't fully customize loadouts, it still creates unequal starts. So it still impacts the game if someone chooses BR, someone chooses SMG and someone else chooses carbine. At least they acknowledged in the chat killcams is a direct Call of Duty influenced addition. Give me the ability to rotate camera around my body, switch to a team-mate over sering a clip of how I died anyday. I'd be fine with a final killcam though.
Can you screen cap this for me? Please.

Madness

Can you screen cap this for me? Please.

Oh I meant the video chat. Like when they're all talking/playing on Lockdown, Ryan said this is something that Call of Duty really popularized and you could tell they were hesitant to agree but said yeah, fans wanted it etc. Maybe if the stream is archived I can go to the exact spot when they talk about it.

Kibbles

Anyone know what happens if you have a digital purchase of a game and have a physical copy? Like if I have the MCC before release would I just be able to put it in and it would 'unlock' in a sense and not need me to reinstall it from the disc?

Oh I meant the video chat. Like when they're all talking/playing on Lockdown, Ryan said this is something that Call of Duty really popularized and you could tell they were hesitant to agree but said yeah, fans wanted it etc. Maybe if the stream is archived I can go to the exact spot when they talk about it.
If it was a video thing then that's a lot of effort. No need. And of course they were hesitant.

And to answer rrcc. Quinn (while a decent guy) threw jabs at the competitive halo community more than once and had a hand in helping design Gears Judgement's "modernized" multiplayer. So again take Dev words with a spoon of sodium.

I genuinely like the people at 343. Just not some of their ideas on what is "Halo".

Anyone know what happens if you have a digital purchase of a game and have a physical copy? Like if I have the MCC before release would I just be able to put it in and it would 'unlock' in a sense and not need me to reinstall it from the disc?

Well normally if you had a digital license and the game installed, a disc would never do anything, it would just run the game via the digital license you have instead of verifying the disc.

I have no idea how that works with a preload though. I think it may work because it won't install a second instance of the game, but I'm not positive that it would verify the disc over the digital license.

I lasted 10 seconds of that child singing "I want to put something in you at the gay bar" before closing. Oh well.

That's as far as his goofiness has gone this stream.

Seeing Halo 2 so much lately has reminded me how disappointing of a game Halo 3 was. Jeez man, after 3 years of CE and 3 years of Halo 2, you'd think Halo 3's gameplay would've been phenomenal. The maps took a nosedive as well, then with Reach having less than 10 maps and Halo 4 having no love for 2v2/4v4..

#HND,IWJMIA

I would play CE and H2 at a friend's place as I didn't have an Xbox, so I missed the glory days. But I bought a 360 solely for Halo 3. It blew me away then, and it still impresses me now. Different strokes, I suppose.

PNut

Banned
Couldn't disagree more. Anytime I click on a Halo 2 stream it's slayer on Midship or Lockout. That's all I ever see anyone playing. What other maps/gametypes did they use back in the day for MLG games?

Booshka

Couldn't disagree more. Anytime I click on a Halo 2 stream it's slayer on Midship or Lockout. That's all I ever see anyone playing. What other maps/gametypes did they use back in the day for MLG games?

Sanctuary, Warlock, Beaver Creek, Midship and Lockout were the main maps. Ivory Tower used to be. Oddball, Slayer, Flag and Bomb were the gametypes.

Usually it's just Midship FFA because they hardly ever set up team games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SomberAmusedHydra.gif

Avengers: Age of Didactbot

Madness

Seeing Halo 2 so much lately has reminded me how disappointing of a game Halo 3 was. Jeez man, after 3 years of CE and 3 years of Halo 2, you'd think Halo 3's gameplay would've been phenomenal. The maps took a nosedive as well, then with Reach having less than 10 maps and Halo 4 having no love for 2v2/4v4..

#HND,IWJMIA

It's crazy how the addition of sprint made them turn down base movement to even slower than Halo 3 in Reach too. I never used to think that way about Bungie, but it does seem like they kept moving away from what made the previous games successful, culminating with Reach, their final Halo game, to Destiny, a game where PvP is largely panned as being unbalanced like crazy and not really fun.

I love Halo 3, and will probably play it more than Halo 2 (I did play more Halo 2 than Halo 3 during their respective launches in the past), but it's arguably worse than Halo 2 in a lot of ways, including maps etc. If you had a choice to play 4v4 BR Starts on Midship in Halo 2 or 4v4 BR starts on Heretic in Halo 3. You'd pick Halo 2 no?

I love Halo 3, and will probably play it more than Halo 2 (I did play more Halo 2 than Halo 3 during their respective launches in the past), but it's arguably worse than Halo 2 in a lot of ways, including maps etc. Would anyone honestly want to play 4v4 BR Starts on Midship in Halo 2 or 4v4 BR starts on Heretic in Halo 3.
This is batshit crazy. Ozzy, I take it back. Rip this man a new one.

EDIT:
You consider Halo 3 better than Halo 2 in terms of maps/gameplay?
Ozzy, forget about this post. I'm batshit crazy.
Totally read your post in the reverse lmfao

I was thinking.. "But Madness, this doesn't make any sense ;'[ -- Halo 3 is Halo 2 stripped of everything that made it fun and more competitive."

Cow

Some of the responses about color and loadouts and shit in that IGN stream/interview today have me far more apprehensive than cautiously optimistic.

Me too, it seemed like they did some things "just because" or just to make everything look similar, so that the transitions between maps weren't jarring. Rather than making each map objectively the best it could be. That's the vibe I took from it.

I don't even know if I'm going to purchase Halo 5. If it has sprint and I don't enjoy the beta because of it I'll stick with MCC. I'll just take it as a sign that I'm not the intended audience and I'll play the games I enjoy.

Booshka

Me too, it seemed like they did some things "just because" or just to make everything look similar, so that the transitions between maps weren't jarring. Rather than making each map objectively the best it could be. That's the vibe I took from it.

I don't even know if I'm going to purchase Halo 5. If it has sprint and I don't enjoy the beta because of it I'll stick with MCC. I'll just take it as a sign that I'm not the intended audience and I'll play the games I enjoy.

Which is the best thing about MCC, if Halo 5 doesn't work out and you don't like it, then you can just stick to MCC for as long as possible and be set for an entire console generation.

Madness

This is batshit crazy. Ozzy, I take it back. Rip this man a new one.

EDIT:
Ozzy, forget about this post. I'm batshit crazy.
Totally read your post in the reverse lmfao

I was thinking.. "But Madness, this doesn't make any sense ;'[ -- Halo 3 is Halo 2 stripped of everything that made it fun and more competitive."

Yeah it was worded weirdly a bit on my end and I changed it since I thought you probably thought I was saying pick Halo 3 over Halo 2.

On a related note, I won't deny seeing a lot of H2A gameplay today, seeing things like weapon sets and killcams and hearing some of their reasoning, I'm pretty certain I'll try it for a bit, but stick to CE/2/3 for the majority of play. I'm also worried about what it all means for Halo 5. Still better to be hopeful, but Xbox One for me will most likely just be a Halo box, and I don't want to be let down again.

I am a little disappointed that H3 and 4 have taken away full customization in favor of armor sets but in the end its only one downside in a sea of positives

Cow

That doesn't mean that we should accept the superfluous changes though.

I completely agree, but if they keep the changes regardless of our feedback, by not playing the new game we are not accepting them. Of course I want Halo 5 to be a game I enjoy, I just don't think it will be and I don't really mind now either thanks to MCC.

I completely agree, but if they keep the changes regardless of our feedback, by not playing the new game we are not accepting them. Of course I want Halo 5 to be a game I enjoy, I just don't think it will be and I don't really mind now either thanks to MCC.
This is true. I just wish they learnedthat the communities want halo. Not every modern element under the sun.

I want to see the population numbers for the MCC. And we could beat the dead horse of halo 4's incredibly shitty population retention. But I'll be classy and not.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Really don't regret sitting down and watching IGN live, pretty satisfying.

The outskirts cutscene, holy shite.
Also, I like how they've used the old school warthog but added the halo 4 fuel tanks on the back and stuff, pretty cool.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think it's safe to say at this point I'm fully hyped.

Now, to get some proper surround sound headphones to enjoy some Haloes.

Any recommendation? I don't want cheap but I also don't want to spent a silly amount. Got to be some decent middle ground?

I think we can agree with Stinkles on the whole "download after purchasing physical disc"...Seeing that UI and how smooth and quick it was, being able to bring a WHOLE party to another game in customs, switch to campaign in an instant, hearing the music queues change depending on the game... That's so darn impressive and making it 2 disks would be far more upsetting than the initial pain of downloading more content when you get home.

Not trying to resurrect a tired and ugly debate, but I think seeing it in action like this was a testament to the unified UI's value.

The only problem I foresee with this is if there's any potential for not being able to go back to the game in a decade or more if the support for that 20gb update is discontinued.

People always decry statements like this, saying "are you really going to go back to this game in 10 years or more".

Yup. I've been playing OG Halo CE using the backwards compatability on my 360 off and on since 2005, and am truly thankful that even to this day I can still load up Halo CE on my 360.

With the MCC, I guarantee I'll want to go back to it 10 years or more from now. If there's any aspect of the compilation that's broken by not being able to download that 20gb update at some later point, that would be frustrating.

It's bearable so long as all 4 campaigns and every multiplayer map are fully availalbe with just the disc, because obviously if I'm playing it 10+ years from now I'll likely be playing solo, local split screen, or possibly LAN.

But if there are portions missing like multiplayer maps or something significant, that would be a shame.

I don't mind missing out on barbie-dress-up armor permutations and visor colors and crap like that, because it's not integral to the experience. Hopefully that stuff's the bulk of the 20gb update.

Computron

huh, why not provide a Power Point file? At least folks could access PPT Online instead of buying Photoshop.

i.e. have bunch of rectangles with the grey transparency all grouped as a layer. Insert background image -> move to back.

Sure, while they're at it they can just make one for you MSPaint guys out there too. :p

<3

But seriously, the PSD format is pretty standard when it comes to any layered photo maniupulation. You can edit it in most freely available software out there, no?

danwarb

Once downloaded, it's safe from XboxLive outages. Downloads aren't tied to a console either, you can move them about.

Really don't regret sitting down and watching IGN live, pretty satisfying.

The outskirts cutscene, holy shite.
Also, I like how they've used the old school warthog but added the halo 4 fuel tanks on the back and stuff, pretty cool.

Why did a Warthog need fuel tanks? They'd better be hydrogen fuel tanks or otherwise appropriately scifi.

CE's sounded more electric and less farty.

Top Bottom