• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

That's actually pretty bad. Noticeable enough in peripheral vision to be distracting, not the type of thing you have to be looking for to notice. Hopefully that's an isolated incident?

IDK I have noticed it in almost every video when you are above the buildings.

KevinG

vvJW83J.png

Here's a very quick job.

Oops, double post...
Subtle, but awesome. Thanks!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with the DMR?

Most satisfying swat weapon by far.
It's fun to use, I agree. It's my second favorite Halo utility weapon after the CE Pistol. The problem with it is the impact it has on player movement. It's just too effective at range. When everyone is using it, it can be impossible to move on big, open maps. It was the same way in Reach -- moving across Hemorrhage was a challenge when a full team was pinging you from across the map. But that DMR had more bloom, so it was a bit better. A lot of people prefer weapons like the BR, which is really strong at mid-range and competent at long range, but can't act as a mini sniper. One solution people have had is making the DMR an on map pick up weapon.

HTupolev

Halo 4 does look really good, but unless you watch it side by side it's almost like yeah, that's what it looked like but I went back and rewatched some Halo 4 stuff and it's really an amazing difference.
I see so many comments like this with going back to old games.

I don't think I've ever had this experience.

The closest thing I can think of would be rewatching Toy Story recently and being amused at how sketchy the animations were by todays standards, but even that wasn't a huge surprise, and I'm pretty sure that was after over a decade of not watching it.

//==============================

The Halo 4 content is looking interesting. The framerate boost and reduced aliasing certainly has a nice effect...

Would be interesting to hear how exactly they're "improving the shading" in these games. I wonder if it's mostly just higher-precision buffer formats and such... which should do very good things for Halo 4 (probably won't be felt as much in Halo 3 because 2007 Bungie was insane). The weaknesses of the lighting, like poor dynamic lights and objects not always responding well to shadow (i.e. the banshee shot on Exile), are still present.

Mix

Okay, guys, so it looks like it's starting to slow down, I've decided that I'm going to make the decision in just a few hours to cut it off so get to voting if you haven't already! The current results are:
1. Halo Never Died, It Was Just Missing In Action
62 votes (43%)
2. 106 maps. 4 games. 1 Chief.
42 votes (29%)
3. It' Been An Honor Serving With You, John.
17 votes (12%)
4. Stinkles Knows What the Gaffers Like
15 votes (10%)
5. Unseal the Hushed Casket
4 votes (3%)
6. I Thought I Told You To Wear Something Nice
4 votes (3%)
144 total votes
http://strawpoll.me/2836157

Computron

I see so many comments like this with going back to old games.

I don't think I've ever had this experience.

The closest thing I can think of would be rewatching Toy Story recently and being amused at how sketchy the animations were by todays standards, but even that wasn't a huge surprise, and I'm pretty sure that was after over a decade of not watching it.

//==============================

The Halo 4 content is looking interesting. The framerate boost and reduced aliasing certainly has a nice effect...

Would be interesting to hear how exactly they're "improving the shading" in these games. I wonder if it's mostly just higher-precision buffer formats and such... which should do very good things for Halo 4 (probably won't be felt as much in Halo 3 because 2007 Bungie was insane). The weaknesses of the lighting, like poor dynamic lights and objects not always responding well to shadow (i.e. the banshee shot on Exile), are still present.

I wish they would rebake the lightmaps at a higher resolution and extend the distances for the dynamic shadows.

jem0208

It's fun to use, I agree. It's my second favorite Halo utility weapon after the CE Pistol. The problem with it is the impact it has on player movement. It's just too effective at range. When everyone is using it, it can be impossible to move on big, open maps. It was the same way in Reach -- moving across Hemorrhage was a challenge when a full team was pinging you from across the map. But that DMR had more bloom, so it was a bit better. A lot of people prefer weapons like the BR, which is really strong at mid-range and competent at long range, but can't act as a mini sniper. One solution people have had is making the DMR an on map pick up weapon.

Yeah, I think making it a map pick up would solve most issues. If not that, then decreasing the aim assist slightly at range.

the first time i played halo was actually around 2006 on pc after initially being turned away i gave it another shot and like it, never played the multiplayer till halo 3 and loved it. i like halo because its different, the longer kill times, equal starts, smaller arena style maps, jumping high etc. decline began with reach and halo 4 pissed on the corpse
What's wrong with the DMR?Most satisfying swat weapon by far.
dmr is way too effective a weapon bro, it just dominates at mid-long range

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think making it a map pick up would solve most issues. If not that, then decreasing the aim assist slightly at range.
There's a lot of options, and I can never decide which sounds best to me.

• Reduce the scope from 3x to 2x
  • Give it more bloom
  • Reduce the rate of fire
  • Give it a lengthened kill time in comparison to the other starting rifles (the Halo 4 Turbo update did this, and it was great)
  • Reduce aim assist on it
  • Keep it the same, but don't include it in load outs
  • Others I'm forgetting, probably

HTupolev

• Give it more bloom
  • Give it a lengthened kill time in comparison to the other starting rifles (the Halo 4 Turbo update did this, and it was great)
  • Make it a projectile weapon

jem0208

• Give it more bloom

I think keeping the 3x scope is a good thing, else it basically becomes a one shot BR.

Definitely don't give it more bloom though, more bloom is never good.

BigShow36

All that needs to be done is reduce aim assist and remove bloom. There, the weapon is fixed.

willow ve

• Give it more bloom

Remove it or remove the BR. They supposedly fill the same niche. So just go with one
the BR obvs.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Halo 4 does look really good, but unless you watch it side by side it's almost like yeah, that's what it looked like but I went back and rewatched some Halo 4 stuff and it's really an amazing difference.

I think the most impressive factor is the lighting and shadows that is in Halo 4 now on the One. It really, really looks good.

GreyWind

Halo Escalation 11 spoilers/Nightfall.

Any theories on this
biological weapon? What if Halsey is behind everything? After all from the Nightfall trailer, it only affects humans.
Thoughts?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo 4 is a beautiful game but in 1080/60 it just highlights many of the issues present that many fans found unfavourable.

Makes me sad they STILL can't give us Campaign theatre for Halo 4, despite modders revealing the good enough version present. A couple of QTE's preventing us from using an entire game mode is just unfortunate and prevents folks from enjoying Halo 4's great strength - its visuals.

Impala26

Is there descope in H2A?

Good question. For all the flak Halo 4 gets from those here at GAF, a lot of it's changed didn't bother me in the long run. However, this was the one functional change that I could NEVER learn to adapt/accept. Loadouts and AA's were annoying enough, but I learned to deal with them since beyond them the core of the Halo gunplay (not including sprint, inability to pick up grenades) was otherwise mostly unchanged.

Several times, I had a dead-to-rights jump on someone with a Splaser, only for them to hit me ONCE with a DMR shot a split-second before the blast and then the shot would sail over their head. The most aggrivating shit imaginable. On the flip side of that, if you couple it with that armor mod where you don't flinch, then you're practically INVINCIBLE with ranged weapons. All around bad stuff for Halo gameplay.

GreyWind

Well today's Escalation issue takes place in some planet that has a desert type of environment. If you compare that to the Halo 5 Guardians key art, there are few similarities.

halo-5-guardians-visual-id-teaser-wallpaper-ipad2-ff0a77226dd34852baf535c8bf8221af.jpg

BigShow36

It still boggles my mind why game producers insist on releasing all of their games in Nov/Dec.

With the MCC coming out and assuming Halo CE latency is palatable, I'm probably going to pass on CoD: AW, Lords of the Fallen, and Dragon Age, which are all titles I would have purchased had they come out in the summer or some month other than Nov/Dec. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Heck, the only reason I purchased Destiny was to hold me over until the MCC.

willow ve

It still boggles my mind why game producers insist on releasing all of their games in Nov/Dec.

With the MCC coming out and assuming Halo CE latency is palatable, I'm probably going to pass on CoD: AW, Lords of the Fallen, and Dragon Age, which are all titles I would have purchased had they come out in the summer or some month other than Nov/Dec. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Heck, the only reason I purchased Destiny was to hold me over until the MCC.

Hint: Christmas.

This is when casual gamers get most of their games and when the largest number of units are sold. If you really want those games and you're more than a casual gamer you'll pick them up at a later date.

Impala26

Wow, after watching the IGN special today I'm finding myself actually AGREEING with McCaffrey...

Halo 4 at 1080p and 60fps really does look like a next-gen (at least "launch") title.

RowdyReverb

As much as I love the DMR, it's too powerful to be a starting weapon unless you're in a close-quarters map that makes it a bit unwieldy. It turns games into Team Snipers Jr. if everyone uses it on a medium-to-large map.

Also, does anyone have a direct link to the video file on IGN like with Halo 3 a couple of days ago?
Edit: nvm. Found on gaming side

Mix

Halo Escalation 11 spoilers/Nightfall.

Any theories on this
biological weapon? What if Halsey is behind everything? After all from the Nightfall trailer, it only affects humans.
Thoughts?

I'd like to think that it's
Halsey
who is behind the
bioweapon
in Nightfall. Don't know why, other than what was set up at the end of
Spartan Ops.

Yeah, it would be pretty badass to play on the shattered Halo ring from Nightfall.

BigShow36

Hint: Christmas.

This is when casual gamers get most of their games and when the largest number of units are sold. If you really want those games and you're more than a casual gamer you'll pick them up at a later date.

I get the "logic" but didn't Destiny just become the biggest selling new title ever? And it was released in September. If you're a lesser-known title, why would you want to compete with CoD or Halo?

Top Bottom