• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

CliQ

So your actual opening argument here is that RADAR is GAYDAR.

Yeah but you missed the point. What I was getting at is Radar was considered a "noob" thing and anyone that played with it on wasn't a real competitive player. I know it's easy to post a Gif and make it look like my "argument" is dumb but I was trying to make a point that radar was really looked down on. Radar, in my opinion takes away the ability to break out from the team and surprise the enemy.

Z6grfOh.png

Halo 7 is going to look so good.

Just wanted to add here that when people played halo CE over Gamespy and XBC they used to call radar GAYDAR.

So your actual opening argument here is that RADAR is GAYDAR.
That's also my closing argument. In fact, that's the entirety of the argument, and frankly should be all that anyone needs to convince them.

Wow. Here I thought that I should critique games based on gameplay, graphics, design, etc. when I should have just gotten on XBL and started shouting GAYLO FOUR LOLOL.

This post is in satire and I actually like Halo 4.

CliQ

Wow. Here I thought that I should critique games based on gameplay, graphics, design, etc. when I should have just gotten on XBL and started shouting GAYLO FOUR LOLOL.

This post is in satire and I actually like Halo 4.

I did laugh, but in all seriousness I think you've missed the point. I am not saying that Radar is Gaydar but rather that back then at the time people hated playing with radar so much that it was called "gaydar". I was just making a statement about what people thought of radar back then.

As far as gameplay, design, and graphcis critiques go, I wasn't trying to critque any game. But if you want to talk about the gameplay impacts of radar we can certainly talk about that if you wan.

Or just post another gif...

I did laugh, but in all seriousness I think you've missed the point. I am not saying that Radar is Gaydar but rather that back then at the time people hated playing with radar so much that it was called "gaydar". I was just making a statement about what people thought of radar back then.

As far as gameplay, design, and graphcis critiques go, I wasn't trying to critque any game. But if you want to talk about the gameplay impacts of radar we can certainly talk about that if you wan.

Or just post another gif...

I understood your point all along but starting your argument with GAYDAR as if it was a legitimate talking point in your favor is what I found totally ridiculous.

CliQ

I understood your point all along but starting your argument with GAYDAR as if it was a legitimate talking point in your favor is what I found totally ridiculous.

It's not that they called it Gaydar. They could have called it anything. That statement was just to show the opinion of radar back then. That's why i kept saying you were missing the point. Anyway this really amounted to nothing so i'll just go back to lurking now.

jem0208

Go play MLGxx420NoSC0P playlist if you don't want radar scrubs.

DirtySelfassuredCockatiel.gif

#NoRadarMasterRace

Seriously though, I don't mind. I always used the red Xs to find enemies. I can see the positives and the negatives. Keep it in social, remove it from objective.

I was always one of those who ran in and just killed everyone anyway... ;)

The real question is whether or not 343 uses them for Halo 5 cinematics...

Ooooh. This is something I had not considered. Wouldn't that be grand?

Then again I remember wishing for years that cutscenes would stop being prerendered and start being realtime. Do I really want to push back the other direction again? Decisions, decisions.

No, Blur is too good to pass up. Would love them for Halo 5.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Seriously though, I don't mind. I always used the red Xs to find enemies. I can see the positives and the negatives. Keep it in social, remove it from objective.

I was always one of those who ran in and just killed everyone anyway... ;)

Yeah, I honestly don't care either way. I can see the benefits of taking it out of objective game modes, but in social slayer it should probably stay.

In arena/competative modes it seems to make sense to not have the radar. Forces more team communication.

jem0208

Ooooh. This is something I had not considered. Wouldn't that be grand?

Then again I remember wishing for years that cutscenes would stop being prerendered and start being realtime. Do I really want to push back the other direction again? Decisions, decisions.

No, Blur is too good to pass up. Would love them for Halo 5.

I'm not so sure.

Halo 4's cutscenes are pretty damn godly. And in some areas I actually prefer them to the Blur scenes we've been seeing. The facial animation in some of the H2A cutscenes is a bit... weird.

The real question is whether or not 343 uses them for Halo 5 cinematics...
I already do not like them in H2A. Don't get me wrong: They look incredible, but they're getting me out of the experience. I prefer in-engine cutscene which looks more closely to actual game.

AlStrong

Don't mind either pre-rendered (aliasing-free) or real-time, but real-time makes a lot more sense if you could customize the armour ala Reach.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
In engine cutscenes > CG cutscenes. This is a nice treat for Halo 2 Anniversary since it's a remastered game, but for the actual mainline Halo games I want the cutscenes to stay in engine.

This.

CG cutscenes are bad stuff.

CG when applied to a game always feels like you're watching something but with different actors... But they all pretend nothing has changed. the rules of the universe and tone of everything changes.

In game cutscenes is a huuuuge reason I became a halo fan

tootsi666

This.

CG cutscenes are bad stuff.

CG when applied to a game always feels like you're watching something but with different actors... But they all pretend nothing has changed. the rules of the universe and tone of everything changes.

In game cutscenes is a huuuuge reason I became a halo fan
I completely disagree. I want cutscenes to look as good as possible and I have never felt that CG looks too different from actual gameplay.

In other news, it appears ********'s preorder numbers have been wrong for months. The MCC is in second place, very closely behind CoD AW. They even changed it for prior weeks; the MCC has been either number one or two for a while. Earlier they had it at a measly 60k preorders and now it's almost 250k.

EDIT: is mentioning ******** taboo around here lol?

v. g. chart. z.

I like radar. No radar demands teamwork and communication, which your not gonna find playing matchmaking all too often.

At above: don't worry about mentioning anything and it being taboo. Around here you just make another account and all is forgiven apparently.

In other news, it appears ********'s preorder numbers have been wrong for months. The MCC is in second place, very closely behind CoD AW. They even changed it for prior weeks; the MCC has been either number one or two for a while. Earlier they had it at a measly 60k preorders and now it's almost 250k.

v. g. chart. z.

well it is censored for a reason. its a shitty site, much like kotaku or 60% of IGN

Ramirez

v. g. chart. z.

They're banned for inaccurate information I believe, lol.

jem0208

v. g. chart. z.

They essentially post guesses. Or they may as well do.

They have the X1 version of CoD at over 60'000 more than the PS4 version, basically talking bullshit.

I like radar. No radar demands teamwork and communication, which your not gonna find playing matchmaking all too often.
Alternatively, it empowers the individual player because they can play more aggressive, which is especially helpful when your team sucks, you're getting bad spawns, and want to make a difference, faster, without worrying about the already-dominating enemy team knowing your every move, your moves where in Halo are actually not fast at all, so in order not to be seen you have to move even slower than that.

Run on that. #NoMotionTracker

I wish Halo 5 will contain real time cinematics ala Reach, Cinematics are great but kinda disguise you from the real game graphics.

a lot of halo 4 cut scenes were in-engine right? or were they video recordings?

I honestly prefer scenes to use the game rendering more then movie files it makes the game feel more special to me, H2A having cg scenes is fine because it's a remaster of an old but great game and you can choose.

I vastly prefer in-engine cinematics over CG. It keeps the overall experience much more consistent and immersive.

I definitely agree with you guys on this. Halo 2 Anniversary is a different beast. It's a celebration of it so it feels right. I hope that going forward into Halo 5, they return to classic in game. I mean heck...Halo 4 looked awesome, but the transitions were always smooth right into gameplay. Halo 5 will undoubtedly look better, so it should remain the same.

Even COD stays in-engine for cut scenes ;)

Nebula

In game definitely helps from an immersion point of view. I dislike seeing quality jumps and drops on the most part. Still though on a remaster I think I'll be ok with it.

Honestly, until I started hanging out here, I never really thought about the radar, but I think the #radarsucks guys are right. It encourages overly cautious play, and camping in camping-inappropriate game types (e.g. Slayer, as opposed to something like King of the Hill). Having it split between regular and competitive play isn't good either, since it breeds bad habits in everyone outside of the mlg playlists. Keep it for campaign (since the lore really does matter there), and as an option in customs, but no more radar in MM!

As for the CG cutscenes vs. in-engine cutscenes, prior to Halo 4 I would've been in-engine all the way, but it's honestly getting hard to tell at this point. Now that they're increasing the use of mocap animations with in-game assets, the biggest difference is going to be in IQ, and I don't find the bump that jarring. But either is fine.

If you can't see the enemies, look at where your teammates are positioned and deduce their locations from that. If you can't do that, listen for their gunshots. If you can't do that, look at your teammates' waypoint to see when it goes to yellow then to a red X and ask yourself "Where could he have gotten killed from"?

Or just use callouts. Halo isn't fast enough for real time radar.

Spawning with Promethean Vision is wack because you did nothing to earn seeing through walls. How is radar any different?

I definitely agree with you guys on this. Halo 2 Anniversary is a different beast. It's a celebration of it so it feels right. I hope that going forward into Halo 5, they return to classic in game. I mean heck...Halo 4 looked awesome, but the transitions were always smooth right into gameplay. Halo 5 will undoubtedly look better, so it should remain the same.

Even COD stays in-engine for cut scenes ;)

Ehhhh...kinda. I'd say it's a heavy mix. All the briefing cutscenes are pre-rendered, BLOPS2 used a mix for various points in the story, and AW seems to be using pre-rendered as well for at least a chunk of its scenes.

a lot of halo 4 cut scenes were in-engine right? or were they video recordings?

I honestly prefer scenes to use the game rendering more then movie files it makes the game feel more special to me, H2A having cg scenes is fine because it's a remaster of an old but great game and you can choose.

Yup, only the intro and the ending (and the epilogue) are cinematics which is fine for me.

Top Bottom