• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Except, AFAIK, the UNSC never had any nanomachines prior to... I think Mortal Dictata (or whenever Naomi gets the Mark VII; any Traviss fans wanna help me out on this one?), which took place after Halo 3. The whole "H4 Chief is because Nanomachines" started off with something Frankie said, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.
From what I understand it was one of those experimental new technologies rolled out in late 2552, like the new warthog, etc.
I wouldn't take it too seriously either, but I think it was actually used as an explanation in game informer back in the day, and given that the original Mark VI is still indeed canon, there isn't much else to go off.

That said, the old forward unto dawn look is apparently still canon and we weren't given a reason for why it looks so different in halo 4, so who knows.

danwarb

I tried to copy the download to an external HDD to save someone downloading it, but it's "incomplete" and can't be moved.

Is there something wrong with my preload or is it just not possible to move/copy preloads?

Madness

from Reddit:
vywhnmlgypd2zdmy7guu.png

Kinda neat!

Haha, just saw this on imgur too, was wondering whether or not to post. Really nicely done.

Vh9gquw.jpg

I'll drop it after this last image. But look at the MK VI here for Halo 2 Anniversary. Now I wish I could picture it in the Halo 4 Chief colors but I imagine that it would not only have kept the nostalgic look, but also make him look like that walking green tank.

Something I thought about back on the IGN stream, those alt armors for the chief in H2A mp really don't feel right, it's like they grabbed two random suits from halo 4 and added them in just because they could.

Why didn't 343 just use the Mk VI armor from Halo 4 multiplayer?

Just add the new Mk VI helmet and it's GOAT.

I really don't like that armor. Its super rounded and cartoony looking.

Though I think a lot of the appeal for Halo 4 also comes from the fact they had much better renders and that the in game model looks better than ever.

Look at the Halo 4 MK VI version on the last page, and then also the version in Halo 2 anniversary. Imagine if it was fully rendered like in campaign, but also, if the new gritty dark green armor and texture work was applied. I wonder what it would like then.

v7jXlxm.jpg

Once again, while not as bad as the Halo 4 MP version, why is everything a little more..round? I just wish it used the armor proportions that the SP Halo 2/2A/3 MC used.

jelly

Halo 4 armour wasn't very good. I don't know if 343 are just trying to be different but it didn't work, a bit lacklustre. Halo has a look but 343 just turned the look into any old space marine game, a bad one at that. Maybe they didn't have the time or something to give it a good go.

Woorloog

Banned
Something I thought about back on the IGN stream, those alt armors for the chief in H2A mp really don't feel right, it's like they grabbed two random suits from halo 4 and added them in just because they could.

The third armor looks like they're trying to channel CQB/Commando armors. The second... no idea.
Either way, they lack focus. For alt armors, two simple choices would have been better: EVA and CQB, which are perhaps the most recognizable alternate Mjolnir armors, and visually distinct from the baseline Mjolnir. As you say, the armors look like they're randomly put together.

RoKKeR

Halo 3 chief is the best design. Clean, refined, no extraneous shit. Halo 4's design might look "cooler" but the weird bits like the shoulders and undersuit (?) being so exposed made it look inconsistent.

I guess that was the problem I have with all of Halo 4's armor. In Halo 3 MP all of the armor designs were so damn good, and blended together pretty well for the most part. They looked way more cohesive and like a suit of armor than a bunch of random things glued onto a guy with a weirdly colored mesh suit, ala Halo 4.

This design looks great.

antigoon

Not really sure how to interpret that. Is he just commenting that it's a rather demanding tweet, or actually saying not to get your hopes up?

I read it as the first.

Edit: But let's be honest, we should probably not get our hopes up for most or really even any of that stuff.

Madness

I can't imagine a mainline Halo game without sprint going forward, as sad as that is.

Don't imagine it without the stuff they added in Halo 2 Anniversary either. Would make no sense for them to add/develop new "weapon sets", the H killcam, grenade indicators, hit markers, etc. Plus whatever they are repurposing armor abilities into spartan abilities.

Sprint is a given too, gotta give the babbies, and one DeadlyCyclone who needs the Spartans to look like they're running because he hates how they looked like they were walking in past games, what they want. If it wasn't for the inclusion of Halo CE, 2, Halo 3 I wouldn't have bought Halo 2 Anniversary by itself, and I'm increasingly losing faith in Halo 5 going forward, even with whatever they let us play in the beta. Pretty sad that my Xbox One comes in like 3 days, and I'm already contemplating whether I'll sell it if I don't like H5.

HTupolev

Why are they being called "weapon sets"? "Loadouts" is less of a mouthful, and it's industry standard terminology which makes it clear what's being referred to.

Seems like a weird PR move to distance from Halo 4?

Madness

Guys, digital game code are not region locked on Xbox One are they? For example, say I wanted to sell my Canadian Sunset Overdrive bundle code, someone in the US or UK could easily redeem it right? I think only points cards and XBL credit is what is region locked.

12 month live, and game codes work internationally no?

I'm worried halo 5 will have sprint sliding just because they feel like it's needed, it really doesn't need such things.

This is what will happen, the 'arena' return to halo will just be some smaller maps with mirrored layouts, stuff like midship and wizard, everything else will be like more modern shooters with sprint, ground pounds, large capture and defend text and notifications for hits and kills.

With so many shooters on the market keeping things too simple will only scare away players who enjoy their yearly cod's and it makes me sad.

Why are they being called "weapon sets"? "Loadouts" is less of a mouthful, and it's industry standard terminology which makes it clear what's being referred to.

loadout sounds more like a custom setup you picked yourself, weapon sets make me think more of a pre-selected choice you can choose from.

Well, we know the size of H5 Midship and we've played on small maps with sprint like Haven and Skyline. As long as the maps aren't substantially larger and the sprint animation is quick and snappy, I don't think sprint will be that problematic. That's probably just my inner Halo fanboy telling me to trust that a Halo dev won't ruin the feel of Halo, again, after telling myself that before each release lol. Still, default Thrusters >

Ground pound should be interesting though as it may feel like a natural addition to the sandbox like Thrusters.

That's exactly what it is. Another thing that feels like a PR move is their reasoning for changing Lockout's tint/color. We've played on Lockout for how many years now and never felt like the blue team had an advantage simply due to blue. Why? Because it's nonsense. Who gets lost finding blue players on Lockout as opposed to red ones? Hilarious.

-Ryn

Banned
We can be friends. I won't play halo 4 with you tho.
I just like sprint. Hit markers, grenade indicators, etc.? NOPE. Sprint and thruster pack are the only additions to gameplay I enjoyed from Halo 4 so it's not really going to be part of my MCC play time.

Snapshot
Tactical Death Cam (forget what they called it)
What did they say the Crimson Map Pack glitch was again? Play a day or something?

jelly

Custom loadouts.

We're not COD, we're not COD.

Nowise10

Speaking of sprint, have any of you who played Destiny for a long time, and gone back to Halo 4, feel how fast Sprint is in the game? Halo 4 sprinting compared to Destiny is insane. I felt like I was flying in Halo 4 from how fast I was going.

That's exactly what it is. Another thing that feels like a PR move is their reasoning for changing Lockout's tint/color. We've played on Lockout for how many years now and never felt like the blue team had an advantage simply due to blue. Why? Because it's nonsense. Who gets lost finding blue players on Lockout as opposed to red ones? Hilarious.

I hate to keep talking bad things about a franchise I love but remember back with halo 4 and all the focus testing stuff which resulted in the MP game we got? they need to stop doing that kind of research.

-Ryn

Banned
Speaking of sprint, have any of you who played Destiny for a long time, and gone back to Halo 4, feel how fast Sprint is in the game? Halo 4 sprinting compared to Destiny is insane. I felt like I was flying in Halo 4 from how fast I was going.
Sprinting in Destiny was weirdly slow. It didn't feel very good which kinda defeats part of the purpose of even having sprint.

jelly

I posted in the general discussion but the warm or dull tints for maps like Lockout and Bloodhulch makes me think it's a result of eye pain/strain from devs and testers. Just a theory.

I'm okay with sprint...
Not to start a controversy, but I'm okay with it to the extent of how well it plays in certain games that works with it.

But placing it in an Arena type of map/gametype won't work efficiently that 343 wanted to test in H4's MP.

If Halo 5 turns out to be a mixed bag of playlists/gametypes that rotate with No Sprint and Default Sprint, then it could work.

The Flash

Banned
Not to start a controversy, but I'm okay with it to the extent of how well it plays in certain games that works with it.

But placing it in an Arena type of map/gametype won't work efficiently that 343 wanted to test in H4's MP.

If Halo 5 turns out to be a mixed bag of playlists/gametypes that rotate with No Sprint and Default Sprint, then it could work.

Took the thoughts right out of my brain

Does anyone buy their reasoning for changing Lockout? If so, care to explain how it's not bologna by telling a story of Little ScrubMentality Johnny who couldn't find blue players on Lockout?

Welfare

I hate to keep talking bad things about a franchise I love but remember back with halo 4 and all the focus testing stuff which resulted in the MP game we got? they need to stop doing that kind of research.

Yeah, like what was said in the live stream Wednesday, they heard lots of fans ask for Killcams or something like that. Like, where the fuck did they hear that?

Does anyone buy their reasoning for changing Lockout? If so, care to explain how it's not bologna by telling a story of Little ScrubMentality Johnny who couldn't find blue players on Lockout?
No. Just change for the sake of change, and trying to find the best excuse they can. They could've tone down the blue, and not make it at sunset.

-Ryn

Banned

That is the best option in my opinion. As long as there are some maps designed around having sprint and others around not having it. Even if Sprint was limited to larger maps I think it would be fine.

Yeah, like what was said in the live stream Wednesday, they heard lots of fans ask for Killcams or something like that. Like, where the fuck did they hear that?

From people who don't post on forums lol.

Yes. The color of player models is washed out, so I could see it blending in easily with a light blue color. I probably would have made the map a darker blue as opposed to orange but hey, I don't design video games!!!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't the H5 beta just a really huge focus testing session?

But where? Did they go to BO2 party game playlists? I have never seen anyone besides a very few people on forums that would want Killcams, or really most of the shit they added in between Reach and 4.

well they were all playing Blops2 during development, and i guarantee they will be playing Ghosts and AW... i mean look at that tweet with quinn, they dont care.

be prepared for more of Halo 4 and change for the sake of change.

I don't understand why they didn't preserve the blue hue, but made sure it was a different shade than the character models. Further, if they introduced a lot of white/blue contrast in the skybox with an orange sunset not effecting the overall hue of the map it would have still allowed player colors to stand out when contrasting against the backdrop. The orange hue really kills the atmosphere of the map, especially since it is so strong.. even not compared to the original the orange looks off.

I really hope this doesn't mean we won't get cool, blue hue snowy maps in the future.

-Ryn

Banned
I don't understand why they didn't preserve the blue hue, but made sure it was a different shade than the character models. Further, if they introduced a lot of white/blue contrast in the skybox with an orange sunset not effecting the overall hue of the map it would have still allowed player colors to stand out when contrasting against the backdrop. The orange hue really kills the atmosphere of the map, especially since it is so strong.. even not compared to the original the orange looks off.

I really hope this doesn't mean we won't get cool, blue hue snowy maps in the future.
That'd really suck. I love the atmosphere snow brings to a map and having all of them with a gross orange hue would just kill that.

Top Bottom