• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

well they were all playing Blops2 during development, and i guarantee they will be playing Ghosts and AW... i mean look at that tweet with quinn, they dont care.

be prepared for more of Halo 4 and change for the sake of change.

I cant wait to see the core gameplay focused on the armor like AW but in slower pace.

DJ Gunner

The desire/intent to draw in a new audience is likely at the very top of the design list. It's interesting to watch them acknowledge a lack of understanding the Halo fan base with 4, then release H2a with a healthy dose of the things that same fan base objected to to begin with. For me, the MCC isn't just a chance to return to some favorite games for nostalgia purposes- it's the opportunity to, once again, play real Halo. We ALL know where this is going for 5, we all know what is valued most of all in the basic MP design now. They are giving us the real Halos back- let's play them, enjoy them and not worry about the future.

-Ryn

Banned
jump-the-gun.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If the beta comes out and I get a sniff of Halo 4 or COD in it, I will start campaigning and making as much noise as possible to ensure a) Halo 5 is delayed so all the shit they insist on shoving down our throats is removed and b) that this nonsense doesn't happen again.

To be fair, I think I know what they wanted to go for with Lockdown, but it didn't work for a few reasons. Visually, I think they were going for something like this:

7RpJnKj.jpg

ff7AAWe.jpg

8WvPe2U.jpg

snJ4KSB.jpg

However, Lockdowns colors are too muted, and stick with one singular color hue. The colors should be more vibrant, featuring more contrast with oranges, pinks and purples all accompanying each other. It would also work better if warmer colors didn't paint the whole map in the color, but rather standout in more lit, reflective locations with cooler coolers still dominating the playspace, creating a more visually appealing and atmospheric contrast.

The snow on Lockdown looks far too flat, and isn't naturally reacting to the light the way you would expect. I miss Snowbounds snow.

Welfare

Well, the good thing about a super early beta is that they will hear all of our complaints and hopefully change the game or at least tweak.

I just hope we don't have this crap again:

[Tinfoilhat] They're just using the Beta early as a way of saying "We'll listen!" but in fact the won't. They already have everything in motion, and they won't alter major gameplay like sprint and loadouts about 10 months from launch. That shit is for Alpha testing. The focus on Arena MP is just for the extra pre-orders and sales come launch.[/Tinfoilhat]

So hey 17 more days guys!

Well, the good thing about a super early beta is that they will hear all of our complaints and hopefully change the game or at least tweak.

I guess that'll be the litmus test to see if they're serious about equal starts. Here's hoping.

belushy

Banned
Roster for The Master Chief Collection Launch Invitational.

• StK – Heinz, OGRE2, Royal 2, Snakebite, Coach Diesel
  • OpTic Halo – Flamesword, Pistola, Ace, Snipedown, Coach Elamite
  • Believe The Hype – Formal, Lxthul, aPG, Maniac, Coach Mr. X
  • The Agency – Ninja, Hysteria, FearItSelf, Victory, Coach Towey
  • VwS Gaming – Naded, Legit, Goofy, Mikwen, Coach Wolfmayyne
  • TCM Gaming – Riotz,TuFoxy, Ramirez, Chalkie, Coach Xavier
  • Purple Rain – Gandhi, Puckett, Maven, Legion, Coach Sundance
  • Str8 Rippin – Tsquared, Ryanoob, Roy, Str8 Sick

Awesome!

edit: Based on that....

1st StK
2-4 The Agency, VwS, Optic
5-8 BTH, TCM, Str8, Purple Rain

DopeyFish

Hahaha good one.

In all seriousness... Through all interactions... I just get the sense we are just being told what we want to hear and they're still going to stab us in the back.

I have seen this kind of stuff happen before with essentially all my favorite franchises....

Never piss off your dedicated fans in attempt to please others.

ive pretty much accept sprint is going to be in game so the only way to make it work would be to have fast base speed anyway and to not increase the map size so essentially u are limiting the usefulness of sprint to the big team battle maps/objectives.

i hate how big the halo 4 maps were, granted i only played the game for around 20 hours so not an expert on it, but even the small maps like haven felt bigger than they should have been.

for the love of jesus plz 343 increase the base movement speed, i want it to feel fast

Hahaha good one.

In all seriousness... Through all interactions... I just get the sense we are just being told what we want to hear and they're still going to stab us in the back.

I have seen this kind of stuff happen before with essentially all my favorite franchises....

the wording of the beta trailer has me worried. it seems to me like 'arena' is just a playlist and other playlists might indeed have the same type of halo 4 garbage. also im not feeling the whole spartan abilities, 1 looks to be look around cover and ground pound. looks very meh

Welfare

Hahaha good one.

jelly

343 definitely set out their plans and will only tweak things, it's whether they listened over the last few years and applied that to their Halo 5 plans to begin with.

DopeyFish

343 definitely set out their plans and will only tweak things, it's whether they listened over the last few years and applied that to their Halo 5 plans to begin with.

Considering how basically everyone has been yelling at them to remove hitmarkers and those awful medals since it has been announced... And yet they are STILL there

They definitely have their heads firmly wedged in the sand.

Considering how basically everyone has been yelling at them to remove hitmarkers and those awful medals since it has been announced... And yet they are STILL there

medals can be disabled so i dont see the problem with that and hit markers are seriously very minor issue that is purely cosmetic. the only way i can see hitmarker becoming a problem is if someone grenade spams they know if they hit and can then follow up.

i worry more about 'h-cam' haha still cant get over the name

Competa

Banned

I think hitmarkers for weapons are ok, but not for grenades. You can kinda tell where people are hiding with them, witch... kinda sucks.

jelly

I imagine 343 are a bit like Ubisoft these days. Share the load I mean code until one team forces a big change that everyone jumps on. Using the same medals was just the thing to do at the time.

My god, dat salt. How did people manage to go from "Halo 5 beta a year before launch, maybe we can make it better!" to "Halo 5 beta only a year before launch? Lol useless!"

AlStrong

To be fair, I think I know what they wanted to go for with Lockdown, but it didn't work for a few reasons. Visually, I think they were going for something like this:

7RpJnKj.jpg

<snip>

However, Lockdowns colors are too muted, and stick with one singular color hue. The colors should be more vibrant, featuring more contrast with oranges, pinks and purples all accompanying each other. It would also work better if warmer colors didn't paint the whole map in the color, but rather standout in more lit, reflective locations with cooler coolers still dominating the playspace, creating a more visually appealing and atmospheric contrast.

I don't know what part of their renderer adds the haze, but not having that would go a long way (also proper HDR lighting :p).

TheOddOne

man i regret not playing odst before selling my x360.

i thing i really want from halo 5 is to play as a odst for a level or 2 or something so u appreciate how amazing chief is. it would also be good for variety if a level was more stealth oriented.
The thing about ODST is that it’s a mood piece, and probably works better in longform. Simulating just a smaller piece of the experience makes it feel more like a novelty, and will probably distract from the pacing of the space opera vibe of the main games.

The ODST detective noir setting is neat, and should be exploited to tell smaller scale stories within the Halo universe. It also gives a good case that they can go beyond the convention of traditional Halo with spin-offs, without totally disserting the core principles.

Welfare

medals can be disabled so i dont see the problem with that and hit markers are seriously very minor issue that is purely cosmetic. the only way i can see hitmarker becoming a problem is if someone grenade spams they know if they hit and can then follow up.

i worry more about 'h-cam' haha still cant get over the name

The ability to turn off the medals doesn't change the fact that they are terrible.

Grenade hitmarkers are crap for the reasons you state.

Is it seriously the H-cam?

dont forget that 343 had a working Halo build and scrapped it for Halo 4...
Wasn't that just a campaign build?

Tbh I don't really care what they do for H5 MP. The MCC is already a perfect online experience that I'll enjoy for years. I'm more interested in 5's campaign and forge/customs.

TheOddOne

it was a multiplayer build. but apparently they wanted to change things.
Not really sure if they were talking about the campaign, multiplayer or both.
"It's during that time you're questioning yourself: 'How is this going to work, will it be as I envision it in my head?" says Holmes. For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.

A year later, 343 had finished the first mission for Halo 4. Later, the team injected the new enemy, the Prometheans, into the encounter space, displaying their new AI behaviors, representing a culmination of a year-and-a-half of iteration. Even later, online multiplayer was in place -- members of the team could play the game against each other from their homes. It was another morale booster, a tangible signifier that things were coming together.
I think it was more the campaign tho.

jem0208

ive pretty much accept sprint is going to be in game so the only way to make it work would be to have fast base speed anyway and to not increase the map size so essentially u are limiting the usefulness of sprint to the big team battle maps/objectives.

i hate how big the halo 4 maps were, granted i only played the game for around 20 hours so not an expert on it, but even the small maps like haven felt bigger than they should have been.

for the love of jesus plz 343 increase the base movement speed, i want it to feel fast

What exactly is wrong with having slightly larger maps. Other than the fact that its different?

I actually preferred the larger hallways of Haven to previous small maps like guardian. It meant that less fights devolved into just repeatedly smacking each other. It increases the focus on shooting.

I also completely disagree that Sprint=bad maps. Bad map design = bad maps, you can have good maps with sprint.

I think hitmarkers for weapons are ok, but not for grenades. You can kinda tell where people are hiding with them, witch... kinda sucks.

I agree that grenades having hit markers is a bit weird. However just to play the devil's advocate, doesn't that discourage camping...?

If someone can find that you're hiding somewhere using a grenade, that means your less likely to just hide. It forces people to move around more. Something which everyone was agreeing was a good thing with regards to radar...

Competa

Banned
What exactly is wrong with having slightly larger maps. Other than the fact that its different?

I actually preferred the larger hallways of Haven to previous small maps like guardian. It meant that less fights devolved into just repeatedly smacking each other. It increases the focus on shooting.

I also completely disagree that Sprint=bad maps. Bad map design = bad maps, you can have good maps with sprint.

I agree that grenades having hit markers is a bit weird. However just to play the devil's advocate, doesn't that discourage camping...?

If someone can find that you're hiding somewhere using a grenade, that means your less likely to just hide. It forces people to move around more. Something which everyone was agreeing was a good thing with regards to radar...

Yeha, well... Idk, lets see how big a game changer it is on the 11th.

You are dense, there have been OBJECTIVE posts about why sprint = bad map design for halo. we get that you like Halo 4 and all that shit but get your head out of 343's ass and actually think for yourself.

Is it seriously the H-cam?

Wasn't that just a campaign build?
i seen them still called h-cam on that 2 hour ign stream so im assuming they are sticking to that name. like a user on here said earlier, halo doesnt have loadouts, it has weapon sets haha and killcam? no there isnt a killcam, there is a h-cam though haha

maybe its possible to have sprint + good maps but ive yet to see one. gernade hitmarkers can be a good thing like u said, personally dont think hitmarkers are a big issue in the grand scheme of things but sprint is terrible if it means larger maps

Bought myself an Xbox One today and confirmed my preorder for Halo MCC. I can't fucking wait.

Rather impressed with the Onesie as well actually, bit of a beast but feels quality and sturdy (reminds me a bit of the OG Xbox) and the pad is a joy to use.

Top Bottom