• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Madness

The cycle only repeats like that if you play without thinking. Sprint is a tool just like every other ability and weapon you have. The reason this discussion keeps coming up is because not everyone agrees that sprint negatively impacting Halo is an inherent thing. I've seen a the discussions and still think sprint can work as a good addition to Halo.

Nah, it comes up because it's entrenched in the genre now, and so you have a minority who want to include it in Halo without taking into account most of the viewpoints/info against how it's detrimental to Halo, specifically, game play. Just like ADS.

I don't know why everyone feels the shooter genre is the one that needs to be homogenized. Everyone wants every game to have the same things in every other game. "I need 32v32 in Halo because I like it in Battlefield" etc.

But what do I know. I'm increasingly thinking 343 should just say fuck it, completely make a sprint, ADS, insta-kill melee, load outs, perks, Halo game, rake in the initial sales and move on. They'll probably still make a profit. The type of Halo game play I like is now relegated to niche status. So more power to them, and to others. Maybe Reach and Halo 4 weren't enough, maybe another go around is what's needed.

-Ryn

Banned
Nah, it comes up because it's entrenched in the genre now, and so you have a minority who want to include it in Halo without taking into account most of the viewpoints/info against how it's detrimental to Halo, specifically, game play. Just like ADS.

I don't know why everyone feels the shooter genre is the one that needs to be homogenized. Everyone wants every game to have the same things in every other game. "I need 32v32 in Halo because I like it in Battlefield" etc.

But what do I know. I'm increasingly thinking 343 should just say fuck it, completely make a sprint, ADS, insta-kill melee, load outs, perks, Halo game, rake in the initial sales and move on. They'll probably still make a profit. The type of Halo game play I like is now relegated to niche status. So more power to them, and to others. Maybe Reach and Halo 4 weren't enough, maybe another go around is what's needed.
I don't think anyone here (or most people for that matter) want Halo or shooters to be homogenized. I think sprint can work well in Halo and is fun so of course I would like the option to be there. I say option because I don't think arena Halo should or needs to be sacrificed for this. It can have both. Same goes for 32v32 (though I think it would be better to keep top it at 16v16). Halo has a great vehicle suite that isn't being fully utilized. Especially for flying vehicles.

I love Halo and how it offers so many experiences. I'd like it to keep doing that. Shooters aren't being homogenized either. There's just trends and sadly trends cause too much of the same thing to crop up. It'll die down eventually though (it's already happening).

Instead of having sprint just give me a faster movement speed when I have a one handed weapon out like a pistol, plasma rifle, needler, etc.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
FPS genre transitioned from the thinking walking->[shift]->running to running->[shift]->walking for a reason

The holy trio of competitive FPS (Halo 2, CS, Q3) all do this.

The reason for this is those games were the first to take map control seriously. FPS from before were mainly about K:D, less emphasis on actions leading to pressure.

CliQ

As a long time fan of Halo I have seen the game change quite drastically every installment. Personally I think Halo: CE is the best Halo for so many reasons.

Now, that being said I also like sprint. I think it adds this great surprise element, especially with no radar. I can see why people wouldn't want sprint and totally would be fine with a game that did or did not have it.

The problem though is that not everyone agrees with what YOU want. Trust me my version of Halo has been gone for 10 years. Now that MCC is around the corner I will finally get to play the Halo I want to play online.

343 isnt stupid. They want to cater to ALL. What will happen is there will be playlists just like normal and most of the game probably won't be to your exact ideas but there will be things that you like. I'm not going to say evolve or die, but I will say that no single Halo has ever felt, sounded, looked, or played like another. Just be ready for a different Halo.

Random17

From a purely gameplay perspective, couldn't you solve the problems with sprint by disabling it when a certain amount of damage is taken?

Instead of having sprint just give me a faster movement speed when I have a one handed weapon out like a pistol, plasma rifle, needler, etc.
Faster movement leads to unstable movement.

I keep seeing these posts where many want more faster movement speeds yet you can test that yourself in customs and notice it leads to problems in the maps you're playing in and easily tell the normal base movement is about just right (adding a perk or default feature like sprint sorta meets the right middle spot in between). But the a near perfect sweet spot we want which devs might find the right speed + feature to meet that requirement we really want.

Evade wasn't good enough, Sprint just added more variables and problems, and Thruster Pack was kind of on the right track to add not only extra movement speed but maneuverability overall. TP and base movement speed just needs more tweaking and ya'll might see it in the Beta soon.

As a long time fan of Halo I have seen the game change quite drastically every installment. Personally I think Halo: CE is the best Halo for so many reasons.

Now, that being said I also like sprint. I think it adds this great surprise element, especially with no radar. I can see why people wouldn't want sprint and totally would be fine with a game that did or did not have it.

The problem though is that not everyone agrees with what YOU want. Trust me my version of Halo has been gone for 10 years. Now that MCC is around the corner I will finally get to play the Halo I want to play online.

343 isnt stupid. They want to cater to ALL. What will happen is there will be playlists just like normal and most of the game probably won't be to your exact ideas but there will be things that you like. I'm not going to say evolve or die, but I will say that no single Halo has ever felt, sounded, looked, or played like another. Just be ready for a different Halo.
Well said.

Madness

I don't think anyone here (or most people for that matter) want Halo or shooters to be homogenized. I think sprint can work well in Halo and is fun so of course I would like the option to be there. I say option because I don't think arena Halo should or needs to be sacrificed for this. It can have both. Same goes for 32v32 (though I think it would be better to keep top it at 16v16). Halo has a great vehicle suite that isn't being fully utilized. Especially for flying vehicles.

I love Halo and how it offers so many experiences. I'd like it to keep doing that. Shooters aren't being homogenized either. There's just trends and sadly trends cause too much of the same thing to crop up. It'll die down eventually though (it's already happening).

I think that's exactly what I meant. Homogenization/trends lead to eerily similar game play and campaign designs. A trend in past shooters is something like world War II setting and weapons. Having the base game play be 99% identical in Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Killzone, Destiny, Battlefield is the homogenization.

Additionally, I'll disagree and say no, you can't have both, just like you couldn't have Infinity and classic slayer. They're so different, one inevitably leads to the decline of the other. So you have to pick and choose. Either you make sprint part of the base game play and design the maps/game play around it, or you remove it and design the game play and maps without sprint factoring into it. Like I said, it's whatever. They should put it all in, maybe we'll get Fyre to do another post, Halo 5 one year later, what happened again?

Akai__

Wow the download speeds on Xbox One really suck. Normally, I can download 20GB files in less than an hour, but the MCC is now downloading for ~ 9 hours and is at 32%.

Sucks, if you can't take full advantage of your download speed. :/

wwm0nkey

Wow the download speeds on Xbox One really suck. Normally, I can download 20GB files in less than an hour, but the MCC is now downloading for ~ 9 hours and is at 32%.

Wired or Wireless?

IHaveIce

Banned

Check if you can get a better DNS, my Xbox One runs circles around the Playstation 4's download speed

loaded the MCC in 2 hours

Also to the discussion, we earlier were in a party and joked how Spartan Abilities totally will be something like Destiny's super, the Groundpound will be something like the Titan strike, sliding will be in, there will be double jumps.

though all of this COULD work (groundpound not) in Halo, I don't have anything against change in Halo, though it should be done with thought and sense of balance, what Reach and Halo 4 struggled to achieve.

Somehow my guts tell me Halo 2 Anniversary will be the better new Halo game instead of Halo 5. Because I have no problem at all with Halo 2A's changes.

Also halo 5 should totally be launchable through the MCC UI when it launches, would be awesome.

RowdyReverb

Good points. I'm with you, while sprint "isn't Halo", I think that it really does add a fun component to FPS gameplay. The trade off of movement speed for weapon aiming is an interesting dynamic and it's pretty much expected in games now. While not having sprint forces traditional Halo gameplay, it also alienates pretty much all of the modern FPS market. Not having sprint is akin to not having a jump button now. While I like playing traditional Halo, I like Halo with a substantial player population more.
This is probably the wrong thing to say in a hardcore Halo thread, but there it is. I've been a fan from the start, but I accept that the market has evolved and a new generation is playing games compared to H:CE-H3.

jelly

Additionally, I'll disagree and say no, you can't have both, just like you couldn't have Infinity and classic slayer. They're so different, one inevitably leads to the decline of the other. So you have to pick and choose. Either you make sprint part of the base game play and design the maps/game play around it, or you remove it and design the game play and maps without sprint factoring into it. Like I said, it's whatever. They should put it all in, maybe we'll get Fyre to do another post, Halo 5 one year later, what happened again?

I echo this. 343 need to focus on one philosophy. Might end in tears but the kitchen sink approach is wrong. Believe in what your doing and knock it out the park.

The MCC comfort blanket is there if needed until they do something you love.

Good points. I'm with you, while sprint "isn't Halo", I think that it really does add a fun component to FPS gameplay. The trade off of movement speed for weapon aiming is an interesting dynamic and it's pretty much expected in games now. While not having sprint forces traditional Halo gameplay, it also alienates pretty much all of the modern FPS market. Not having sprint is akin to not having a jump button now. While I like playing traditional Halo, I like Halo with a substantial player population more.
This is probably the wrong thing to say in a hardcore Halo thread, but there it is. I've been a fan from the start, but I accept that the market has evolved and a new generation is playing games compared to H:CE-H3.

Sprint is useless since all you need to do is make the characters normally move quick like they have before in many other games. Who cares if it alienates other fps, Halo was always a leader not a follower. Also i don't think the new generation will be playing this game in the first place.

Magwik

Banned
I have no issues with change, and to this day I loved equipment going out of H2 to H3. I thought it was a really neat addition that depending on how it is used, can make no difference in an outcome or all of the difference.
However, most, if not all of the design choices made in Halo 4 weren't made to progress Halo into a better game. They simply changed things to be more like Call of Duty, and at the end of the day, the way the game basically played out was far from Halo (die, change loadout, spawn, repeat), and more closely to some poor-man's CoD, and eerily similar to the tacked-on MP shooters we saw late in the gen.

jem0208

I'll stick to what I have said before about Sprint. Trash it. Replace it with TP 2.0 = Profit.

Even though I don't think sprint is inherently negative and I actually quite like it. I think this is the way to go.

Thrusters could be awesome.

That said, combining them could lead to some interesting results...

Edit: as tootsi said, make it so they stay in first person.

HTupolev

Anyone who is okay with sprint in Halo but dislikes the idea of including ADS confuses me. Both mechanics do basically the same thing: they have you constantly transition between a "mobility" mode and a "shooting" mode. Run or gun.

nillapuddin

Well, the good thing about a super early beta is that they will hear all of our complaints and hopefully change the game or at least tweak.

I just hope we don't have this crap again:

7V3yAUu.png

hey you prick, I spent a good couple nights in Fireworks for that "crap"

jk, I know you mean the shitty perks and not my awesome graphic skills

IHaveIce

Banned
Wired. I try to avoid wireless whenever I can.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Though I don't know if that helps that much.

Also again for new page
Also to the discussion, we earlier were in a party and joked how Spartan Abilities totally will be something like Destiny's super, the Groundpound will be something like the Titan strike, sliding will be in, there will be double jumps.

though all of this COULD work (groundpound not) in Halo, I don't have anything against change in Halo, though it should be done with thought and sense of balance, what Reach and Halo 4 struggled to achieve.

Somehow my guts tell me Halo 2 Anniversary will be the better new Halo game instead of Halo 5. Because I have no problem at all with Halo 2A's changes.

Also halo 5 should totally be launchable through the MCC UI when it launches, would be awesome.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
When you attempt to cater to all, you end up catering to none.

You cater to one, if your product is good enough, it's pull will be across segments

Did Halo become a huge hit by making you feel special and holding your hand? Did it rise up to 10 million sold an iteration by making the casuals happy? No.

What 343 is trying to do is solve the problem of outlier fans who don't enjoy the experience and attempt to convert them into fans by making a more approachable product.

Am I averse to change? No. But I am averse to destroying every part of a formula which has won over 10 million fans to appease the few that don't like it. When you toss vast levels of depth, complexity and in turn enjoyability to help make such a little audience happy... You risk eroding your hardcore fan base which is really free money.

Halo objective games haven't been anywhere near as good since Halo 2. Still the best implementation of CTF in a game but nope! Let's mutilate it because a grandma who got swept up in the hype didn't understand the concept of contesting!

Oh poor grandma bought halo 3 and didn't know why or where the other team got rockets from! Let's just make it all random!

Aw poor grandma goes -20 every game and has a nasty K:D ratio... Let's remove ranks, hide stats because it makes them feel shitty and add shit tons of medals so you can feel special just for attending!

Halo games should be made for halo fans... It's been 7 years since the last halo game... It would be nice to play another again

You cater to one, if your product is good enough, it's pull will be across segments

Did Halo become a huge hit by making you feel special and holding your hand? Did it rise up to 10 million sold an iteration by making the casuals happy? No.

What 343 is trying to do is solve the problem of outlier fans who don't enjoy the experience and attempt to convert them into fans by making a more approachable product.

Am I averse to change? No. But I am averse to destroying every part of a formula which has won over 10 million fans to appease the few that don't like it. When you toss vast levels of depth, complexity and in turn enjoyability to help make such a little audience happy... You risk eroding your hardcore fan base which is really free money.

Halo objective games haven't been anywhere near as good since Halo 2. Still the best implementation of CTF in a game but nope! Let's mutilate it because a grandma who got swept up in the hype didn't understand the concept of contesting!

Oh poor grandma bought halo 3 and didn't know why or where the other team got rockets from! Let's just make it all random!

Aw poor grandma goes -20 every game and has a nasty K:D ratio... Let's remove ranks, hide stats because it makes them feel shitty and add shit tons of medals so you can feel special just for attending!

Halo games should be made for halo fans... It's been 7 years since the last halo game... It would be nice to play another again

Seconded.

Couldn't agree more.

darthbob

e705cc63fc112a77ac0492692772853a9c0ca831ff90115706d57625218c5320.jpg

TP 2.0 should keep you in 1st person and you should be able to shoot/melee/grenade while using it. Then it would be awesome.

Even though I don't think sprint is inherently negative and I actually quite like it. I think this is the way to go.

Thrusters could be awesome.

That said, combining them could lead to some interesting results...

Edit: as tootsi said, make it so they stay in first person.
Boom
http://youtu.be/vGAJ5967KSI

Tweek base movement speed & TP and you'll get something that's perfect or near perfect mobility in an Arena experience. Imho.

jem0208

Anyone who is okay with sprint in Halo but dislikes the idea of including ADS confuses me. Both mechanics do basically the same thing: they have you constantly transition between a "mobility" mode and a "shooting" mode. Run or gun.

Sprint and ADS are polar opposites though.

ADS slows you down whereas sprint speeds you up.

ADS generally means hip fire is much less accurate whereas sprint has no effect on accuracy at any point. It merely enables you to move faster at the cost of no weapons.

ADS allows you to aim as you normally would do in Halo yet forces you to walk slowly.

They are very different beasts.

IHaveIce

Banned

someone pls spray this as a graffiti on 343's headquarters

This is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnY4U_5avU

Pause the video at either :23 or :24 to see a red sprinting spartan in the background.

I STILL say, despite what you all think, this video confirms sprinting. (and fucking sliding...)

Eh. Disagree. He's a Spartan in a running posture, but I can't see the arms, so sprint (with the reduced ability to aim and fire) remains unconfirmed!

Also, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think the Spartan abilities could just be contextualized uses of the thruster pack. As in, activating it while crouching is a slide, hitting it in the air is a ground pound, stuff like that.

HTupolev

Sprint and ADS are polar opposites though.
You didn't understand what I said. Obviously the state of sprinting and the state of non-ADS are different from each other.

I'm arguing that non-sprinting is to sprinting in a sprint game, what ADS is to non-ADS in an ADS game. The similarities aren't between the states of sprint and ADS, they're between non-sprint and ADS, and between sprint and non-ADS. And the overall result is similar.

Welfare

Fuck juices

#hireDopeyFish

jem0208

You didn't understand what I said. Obviously the state of sprinting and the state of non-ADS are different from each other.

I'm arguing that non-sprinting is to sprinting in a sprint game, what ADS is to non-ADS in an ADS game. The similarities aren't between the states of sprint and ADS, they're between non-sprint and ADS, and between sprint and non-ADS.
The implementation of the states is completely different though. Hence why sprint could work and ADS certainly can't.

Sprint doesn't have to mean sluggish base speed like ADS doesn't have to mean limiting your movement. It might make the most sense to design them that way on paper (with trade-offs, etc.), but when other games like Murder Miners have sprint, wall jumps, Hookshots, dashing, etc., then the notion of "this won't work because it's usually designed this way" becomes less substantial IMO. What people should be saying is that they don't believe 343 has the ability to make it work in Halo other than saying sprint + Halo can never work because as others have pointed out, limiting sprint to BTB as a default ability might work just fine.

The cycle only repeats like that if you play without thinking. Sprint is a tool just like every other ability and weapon you have. The reason this discussion keeps coming up is because not everyone agrees that sprint negatively impacting Halo is an inherent thing. I've seen a the discussions and still think sprint can work as a good addition to Halo.
Basically this^, but with that being said, I don't think sprint, and especially ADS, belong in Halo. I'll quote myself:
CE + Thrusters probably would've been badass, but not sprint. Faster walking speed + default Thrusters + unique weapon sandbox + potentially fast kill times if skilled/consistent enough = Truth.
Objective truth. No more arguments, no more salt, only tears of joy.

//==========

Now, what do you guys think of the GROUND POUND? I think that's something that would feel right at home as it probably won't break the maps (Prisoner + Ground Pound = Possible Yes) and might feel like a natural addition to gameplay.

jem0208

Now, what do you guys think of the GROUND POUND? I think that's something that would feel right at home as it probably won't break the maps (Prisoner + Ground Pound = Possible Yes) and might feel like a natural addition to gameplay.
I have no idea about ground pound. I feel like it could work however I don't think it should cause any damage.

, nor does it foster substantially larger maps as a requirement. Again, Halo 5 Midship isn't gigantic, so take that as you will.

I disagree with this. It does foster larger maps. Look at lockout in Halo 4 it feels awkwardly small with Sprint. The maps in the series have been larger since sprint entered the series and it makes perfect logical sense as to why. Smaller maps + faster movement means that from spawn to encounter the time is reduced. It also means that getting power weapons is quicker than ever. Having a faster movement speed also means that unless you want players to be all stood within shooting range of each other quickly you need a crazy amount of cover or larger maps.

Small maps + Sprint is problematic.

At launch of Halo 4 Haven was considered a small map. Haven is pretty large in comparison to warlock, lockout, midship. It easily a medium size map in Halo 2 and 3.

I have a personal gripe with sprint because I feel it's inclusion was ONLY to pander to the new era of players who need that shit and I think it's had nothing but a negative impact on the series.

As for Halo 5 Midship I hope I'm wrong but it looks really big.

Good post.

As to the ground pound, I think it could work quite well, especially if you gave it a pronounced risk factor. Something like having it deplete a portion (or all) of your shields, and eat into your thruster pack fuel/cooldown.

EDIT: Think the ME3 Vanguard's ground pound rather than Destiny's.

Top Bottom