• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Mix

Last call for Gamertags if you want them in the OT. I have just over 30 right now and I got like 200 votes for the OT thread title. If you do want yours included, PM it to me with your timezone.

Fuchsdh

I quit reading when something came in below chiron. I love Halo but that is without a doubt the worst map in the history of man.

I think a lot of Halo CE maps rank pretty low for me. The remakes in CEA sort of highlighted the deficiencies in the originals. Too easy to lock down power positions, the pains that were rampant teleporters and ladders...

I think it's too difficult to objectively analyze the quality of maps simply because the quality of the maps is entirely dependent on the quality of the sandbox...

For example... i thought halo 4 maps were pretty darn good, but the mechanics really damaged the quality of gameplay expected on those maps. This is why i was really hopeful halo 4 maps would be playable in H2A...

Reach maps deserve a lot of shit, though. Same with many maps that came out for H3 starting with cold storage onwards. They used bad philosophy which wouldn't work in any of the halo environments... clutter on walls, using stairs instead of ramps, really noisy texture work that blended players in with the environment. Difficult positional awareness on spawn (lack of set pieces or unique geometry/texturing)

Halo 4 mostly fixed those issues, but the gameplay... particularly with the ordnance and things like AA just made things a clusterfuck.

Some of the maps in H4 with H2 combat and set weapon spawns would probably be fan favorites.

IMO i would really like haven, solace, longbow, exile, vertigo in H2 engine
Yup, Halo 4 had some decent maps IMO, especially compared to Reach. Had they been in a different sandbox, they probably would've been more memorable. Even if the DLC maps were the launch maps + Haven, the game would've been received better.

Harvest >
If Midship isn't #1..........................................................
If motion tracker is in the one CE playlist.......................................................... I trust you are still a strong member of #NoMotionTracker.

CliQ

Really if Blood Gulch isn't number 1 then this list is bias towards Halo 2s ten year anniversery.

Blood gulch has probably been voted on more than any other map. Not sure but it's also probably the most remade map too. It's the map that everyone knows and it's from a game that didn't even have online capabilities (console wise).

Fuchsdh

Yup, Halo 4 had some decent maps IMO, especially compared to Reach. Had they been in a different sandbox, they probably would've been more memorable. Even if the DLC maps were the launch maps + Haven, the game would've been received better.

Harvest >

If motion tracker is in the one CE playlist.......................................................... I trust you are still a strong member of #NoMotionTracker.

The issues I see with Harvest are (besides the functionally symmetrical stuff that people gripe about) that it doesn't seem like parts of the map get used. I sort of factor that into my evaluation of maps--if there are these wasted areas off to the sides and back, it feels like a deficiency in the design.

If Midship isn't #1..........................................................
Backwash is coming back baby!

Watched the rest of the TMCC documentary.
I know it's not "sexy" / easily demonstrable, but I'd have loved to have seen some of the engineering effort & the folks behind it.
And the 343 producers coordinating all these different studios, what that was like, what challenges there were, etc.

Art, music, sound effects, all sexy, but c'mon.

Computron

Are you criticizing the artist for doing their job correctly, and making Multiplayer environments look similar to the planets they correspond too?

I see this come up time and time again.

I am pretty certain that for reach they made multiplayer maps first, then found ways to put them into the campaign after they were iterated on for mulitplayer balance. (Obvious one being reflection. They also had that ODST firefight map in reach's campaign - club errera) It was actually really neat.

Destiny doesn't have any of this following all the criticism Bungie got for that in reach

Yet people are still complaining about this.

Computer

Last call for Gamertags if you want them in the OT. I have just over 30 right now and I got like 200 votes for the OT thread title. If you do want yours included, PM it to me with your timezone.

GT is Computer Time zone is Central.

The issues I see with Harvest are (besides the functionally symmetrical stuff that people gripe about) that it doesn't seem like parts of the map get used. I sort of factor that into my evaluation of maps--if there are these wasted areas off to the sides and back, it feels like a deficiency in the design.
What parts are you referring to? I felt like most of the map had enough action on it for 6v6-8v8, especially with vehicles. The only spots that wouldn't have a lot of infantry action may have been behind the bases, but those made for good flanking positions for CTF or escape routes in a Hog.

EDIT:
Harvest? Isn't it that map that's big enough for BTB but isn't actually in the BTB playlist for some reason (because recommended is 6v6 at most or something)?
They used it for some 4v4's, but it plays better in BTB. Heavies + Harvest = good times

Woorloog

Banned
Harvest? Isn't it that map that's big enough for BTB but isn't actually in the BTB playlist for some reason (because recommended is 6v6 at most or something)?

That list is absurd because I bet half of those maps they've only played once because DLC was so uncommon in Reach and 4. Most of the DLC maps were way better than the disc maps.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT:
They used it for some 4v4's, but it plays better in BTB. Heavies + Harvest = good times

It is terrible in 4v4. Too big.
And never got it in Heavies either, i suspect it isn't in the playlist. Or nobody actually has the DLC installed anymore.
(I removed the free Forge world because i couldn't stand Forged maps. Too bad i can't remove the rest of Forge worlds.)

Overdoziz

Banned
SSfQC.png

emot-911.gif

CliQ

Ok, so the first weekend that MCC comes out I want to host an 8v8 CTF BG, Hogs only, no radar, custom game, 5 captutes to win, no time limit.

The gauntlet CTF game. You need as balanced teams as you can get. Who's in? I'll stream the whole match and if people can get me footage i'll make a video of the highlights. Epic stuff!

I miss the hour long CTF games where people rack up like 200 kills.

Send me a PM and i'll start making a list.

Ok, so the first weekend that MCC comes out I want to host an 8v8 CTF BG, Hogs only, no radar, custom game, 5 captutes to win, no time limit.

The gauntlet CTF game. You need as balanced teams as you can get. Who's in? I'll stream the whole match and if people can get me footage i'll make a video of the highlights. Epic stuff!

I miss the hour long CTF games where people rack up like 200 kills.

Send me a PM and i'll start making a list.

Sounds fun, i could play this all day long

Madness

I had to give up my Chief one I've had since like 06 because it was like 1" surrounded by 7" of great square and looked bad on my friends lists. I think I picked the first Wolf looking thing, or later I'll switch to that red/blue lion.

LTTP on IGN ranking maps. Rat Race, Damnation, and Boarding Action way up in last? Player please... Gemini in Halo 2 wasn't that bad either. Cold Storage and Tombstone ahead of Sandbox? Terrible start to ranking the maps. Credibility is gone already lol.

and MCC purchase complete, downloading now

can't believe I paid $400+ to mostly play some old ass 2004 video game with you pack of hooligans

worth it

Top Bottom