• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Oh hey, so apparently this finished uploading after I fell asleep. Myself and 2 other HaloGAF types (daedalius and Prinz Eugn) discussed the MCC on Episode 2 of Bitchin'. This was recorded Sunday night so some of the discussion is dated (already!) but check it out if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cx09YRUG-c

Also, I didn't post it when it released since it was OT, but I'll take this moment to plug Episode 1 - Destiny here while I'm at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_U1HVyMDM

iMax

I have question. As we know, a lot of people don't seem to like Halo 4.

If you were making Halo 5 from a Halo 2 base, what would you add in terms of mechanics and features?

AlStrong

It's subtle, but the new Mark VI helmet feels off. The same way the Halo 3 ODST helmet looked better than the Halo 4 and 5 counterpart. Also, Scout Helmet going from H3 to H4. It's almost as if 343 elongates it or something. Idk it just feels off.

Yeah, you're not the only one who noticed. :(

If you were making Halo 5 from a Halo 2 base, what would you add in terms of mechanics and features?

Melee combos. :p (j/k)

Sephzilla

Honestly? Nothing. It would be a hybrid of Halo 2/3 that's balanced out a bit more and brings back a few tricks from Halo CE like plasma weapons stunning you for a split second. That and it would have a new set of maps.

iMax

Honestly? Nothing. It would be a hybrid of Halo 2/3 that's balanced out a bit more and brings back a few tricks from Halo CE like plasma weapons stunning you for a split second. That and it would have a new set of maps.

This was the response I wanted.

So multiplayer wise, why do you want a Halo 5 at all?

It sounds like people generally just want the same game on newer maps.

jem0208

To me that seems like it shakes up the core gameplay a little too much. For the pace of Halo I think you're already pretty mobile considering how high a spartan can jump plus the added bonus of crouch jumping.

Adding double jump would also probably kill the possibility of adding many legacy maps to Halo 5. The way smaller legacy maps would be played would be completely changed / possibly ruined. Ivory Tower, for example, with double jump I just don't think would be much fun.
We'll have to see. Personally I think it could be a great addition if combined with thrusters. CoD managed it pretty well and you were hardly mobile at all in the previous CoDs.

I also don't see why no legacy maps is a problem. If you want to play them, play the old games. We've played them for years already. Even so, they're remaking Midship so it could well work fine.

This is something I've noticed with some of the Halo 4 and Halo 5 armor.

Especially in the helmets.

Look at the Mark VI

halo-5-guardians-armor-unlocks-from-halo-the-maste_27sb.1920.jpg

Halo-4-Mark-VI1.jpg

compared to

MJOLNIR_Mark_VI.png

Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg

It's subtle, but the new Mark VI helmet feels off. The same way the Halo 3 ODST helmet looked better than the Halo 4 and 5 counterpart. Also, Scout Helmet going from H3 to H4. It's almost as if 343 elongates it or something. Idk it just feels off.

I feel like 3 and 4 nailed the proportions, 2 feels a bit too small.

This.

Halo can't be allowed to stagnate. CE, 2 and 3 were all excellent games, however we've been playing them for years (and will be playing for the next few years as well). If all they did was bring out pretty much the same game every 3 years with new maps and shinier graphics it'd be awful.

I agree that it seems "off." However I like the new look, it looks more like an actual human head would fit in there. Halo 2 armor made it look like John was a scrawny dude. Also, the new helmet flares out a bit more from the top to the bottom, causing it to have a less straight down the sides look.
Actually this is a good point. If the helmets were as big as they are in 2 and 3 then the Chief's head would be tiny.

This is something I've noticed with some of the Halo 4 and Halo 5 armor.

Especially in the helmets.

Look at the Mark VI

halo-5-guardians-armor-unlocks-from-halo-the-maste_27sb.1920.jpg

Halo-4-Mark-VI1.jpg

compared to

MJOLNIR_Mark_VI.png

Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg

I agree that it seems "off." However I like the new look, it looks more like an actual human head would fit in there. Halo 2 armor made it look like John was a scrawny dude. Also, the new helmet flares out a bit more from the top to the bottom, causing it to have a less straight down the sides look.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Cairo Station was harder, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, as of this very moment I'm looking forward to playing Halo 2 on legendary again, but I'm sure Cairo Station will make me change my tune quick. It's the only Halo game I don't find fun on legendary... But maybe I've gotten better since I last played. :-\

Sephzilla

Campaign and advancing the story. Don't almost half of the people who buy Halo barely ever touch multiplayer and only play the campaign?

I hate that "wanting more of the same" is viewed as a bad thing, even if the thing they want more of the same of is really damn good. Halo 2 and 3, a few balancing things aside, pretty much aced the Halo formula. Halo Reach & 4 were cases of "change for the sake of change", which is the worst kind of change possible in my opinion.

Havok

I'd add on-map equipment on top of a solid mechanical base and execute the concept correctly this time - this means no Bubble Shield, no Regenerator, no Power Drain, just tertiary and movement effects. Things you have to think to use, things that aren't "I win this encounter now" buttons. Initiation tools. Things that change the pace of the game, that are controllable, that require tactical setup and execution ability. Radar Jammer/Gravity Lift/Trip Mine/Flare had so much potential and the crap that was put into matchmaking shouldn't have been the death knell for the concept as a whole.

Then I'd separate multiplayer into a separate, evergreen project with a continuous revenue model (through premium subscriptions, cosmetics, whatever) that receives constant content, feature, and balance updates through the life of the console until it is no longer technically feasible, delivering campaigns on normal production cycles as lower-priced add-ons to a base product. The AAA "complete package" model is actively harmful to players that enjoy older projects. The constant cycle of "the new game is coming out, guess the old game is never getting a playlist update ever again" is awful. Treat multiplayer like a sport. Variety is added by the constant drip of new content, whether that's new maps, new meta features, new gameplay elements. Hitting the reset button every three years is counterproductive.

It would almost be like a modern, sustainable product that learned lessons from the most popular single-studio multiplayer games today.

tootsi666

This friday I should have details about the Halo5 Beta for you guys :)
Pls explain how
Then I'd separate multiplayer into a separate, evergreen project with a continuous revenue model (through premium subscriptions, cosmetics, whatever) that receives constant content, feature, and balance updates through the life of the console until it is no longer technically feasible, delivering campaigns on normal production cycles as lower-priced add-ons to a base product. The AAA "complete package" model is actively harmful to players that enjoy older projects. The constant cycle of "the new game is coming out, guess the old game is never getting a playlist update ever again" is awful. Treat multiplayer like a sport.
This is how it should be done.

dwells

id love to see this being implemented into a new DSS3, so i can use my own quality headphones
not particularly interested in gaming headsets that utilize this

I want to see at the console level as software. I'm not a fan of gaming headsets either and prefer to use higher quality headphones.

To get a good idea on double jumps and ledge grabs look at titanfall, you can do exactly that.

IMO I think it might be a little too much for a halo game, the dodge pack thing in halo 4 was nice but also very minimal and never really served much of a use, double jumping is a huge change.

Watching people play the new cod with air dashing and super bouncing everywhere, it's eh.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Is the MCC OT up yet? We can put it up today right? 7 days before release?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the more I think about it, the worse double jump sounds. I still really want a thruster pack in place of sprint, but I want it to be strictly for lateral movement.

Yes. So come up with questions that ya'll like me to ask and hopefully they get answered.
Sweet. Probably the basic questions people want confirmation on

1) What does "fair start" exactly mean? Are we back to the original way of starting with the same set of weapons and having to pick up weapons throughout the map?

2) AA? They said no AA but is there now default moves such as ground pound?

3) Any other noticeable changes.

Yes. So come up with questions that ya'll like me to ask and hopefully they get answered.

Ask about maneuverability and how they will keep that halo feeling doing so (if dash and double jumps are real)

Will we see a bigger range of unique weapons over the halo 4 lineup.

Will there be deathmatch maps floating in space.

1) What does "fair start" exactly mean? Are we back to the original way of starting with the same set of weapons and having to pick up weapons throughout the map?

They already clarified the first one. Don't be that guy who asks if the next game will have multiplayer during a Q&A.

Campaign and advancing the story. Don't almost half of the people who buy Halo barely ever touch multiplayer and only play the campaign?

I hate that "wanting more of the same" is viewed as a bad thing, even if the thing they want more of the same of is really damn good. Halo 2 and 3, a few balancing things aside, pretty much aced the Halo formula. Halo Reach & 4 were cases of "change for the sake of change", which is the worst kind of change possible in my opinion.

I think your comment (while I agree) shows the predicament any studio is in when they have a popular franchise in their hands.

If you see a new Call of Duty announced everyone comments "Not buying if it's the same thing as last year." Then it comes out and there are hardly any changes and the loyal Call of Duty fans will say, "Why fix what's not broken? More of the same with this game is a good thing."

That's essentially what we do as a Halo community. We demand for more of the same, but with better graphics/sound and balance tweaks. That's about it. Any change is always a calculated risk. A lot of Halo 1 players are still miffed about Halo 2.

I think as long as they have a proper perspective on making something truly competitive and deep with skill/mastery, then any features they add in could be fun as long as they competitive nature isn't violated like Halo Reach and Halo 4 did.

If instant spawns, loadouts, and random weapon drops were done away with in Halo 4 it could be a genuinely FAR better game and I might actually play it in the MCC. I think maps like Haven prove that sprint isn't always a bad thing. It was still small enough to be an arena, but there was enough room for sprint IMO. Not trying to start a debate about sprint, but I think Haven was a map that worked well with it from my limited time with the game (about 30 hours of MP).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Two things of interest here:
1. No ordnance drops, yay.
2. Arena with a capital A? I'm telling yall, 4v4 and BTB are going to be radically different.

jem0208

I think your comment (while I agree) shows the predicament any studio is in when they have a popular franchise in their hands.

If you see a new Call of Duty announced everyone comments "Not buying if it's the same thing as last year." Then it comes out and there are hardly any changes and the loyal Call of Duty fans will say, "Why fix what's not broken? More of the same with this game is a good thing."

That's essentially what we do as a Halo community. We demand for more of the same, but with better graphics/sound and balance tweaks. That's about it. Any change is always a calculated risk. A lot of Halo 1 players are still miffed about Halo 2.

I think as long as they have a proper perspective on making something truly competitive and deep with skill/mastery, then any features they add in could be fun as long as they competitive nature isn't violated like Halo Reach and Halo 4 did.

If instant spawns, loadouts, and random weapon drops were done away with in Halo 4 it could be a genuinely FAR better game and I might actually play it in the MCC. I think maps like Haven prove that sprint isn't always a bad thing. It was still small enough to be an arena, but there was enough room for sprint IMO.

Legendary BRs is pretty damn awesome.

Sephzilla

If instant spawns, loadouts, and random weapon drops were done away with in Halo 4 it could be a genuinely FAR better game and I might actually play it in the MCC. I think maps like Haven prove that sprint isn't always a bad thing. It was still small enough to be an arena, but there was enough room for sprint IMO.

Honestly, I don't think people would complain about COD being a copy/paste job nearly as much if it was on an "every 2/3 years" cycle like Halo is instead of a Madden schedule. COD's problem is that $60 bucks a year + DLC costs is a disgusting amount of milking.

Spades

Unfortunately the update hasn't been released yet and so we won't be able to stream MP today.

I'll be online in a few hours though (5pm GMT) to stream some new missions:

“Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary:”
- The Silent Cartographer
- Halo (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 2: Anniversary:”
- Gravemind
- Prophet of Regret (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 3:”
- Sierra 117
- Floodgate (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 4:”
- Infinity
- Forerunner (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

t1415206800z0.png

Hope to speak to y'all in chat soon: http://www.twitch.tv/bloma

Stream is now LIVE! Gameplay starts in about 20 mins, so get in and join the chat! :)

http://www.twitch.tv/bloma

They already clarified the first one. Don't be that guy who asks if the next game will have multiplayer during a Q&A.
Only part that's been really confirmed so to speak is the part where we are back to controlling weapon spawns. He said people have a fair start but for all we know it could mean there are 3 load outs that are the same for everyone and we're allowed to pick. I'm curious if that is indeed the case or if we're back to all starting off with the same set of weapons.

Madness

You're arguing with the guy who came here, kindly proclaimed I want and like ADS, I don't have to explain why, it's my opinion end of discussion as if it was his personal twitter/bulletin board.

These people who want massive changes don't ever notice the most successful games rarely change the base game play up. That's precisely what people want, updated maps, updated graphics. Look at how many are excited to play Halo 2 Anniversary and yet it plays nearly identical to Halo 2 and Halo 3 in a sense.

For me, how Halo stays fresh is through gametypes, maps, weapons, and new things like firefight, etc. It doesn't stay fresh because you grant people the ability to fly, go invisible, see through walls, pick and choose what weapons they want to use.

jem0208

Two things of interest here:
2. Arena with a capital A? I'm telling yall, 4v4 and BTB are going to be radically different.

Yup, I feel like BTB is going to be crazy. I think it might be two completely different areas of the menu as well.

You'll have a section called "Arena" and a section called "Warfare" (or something) instead of one area for multiplayer.

I think we're going to see 16vs16 or higher.

Honestly, I don't think people would complain about COD being a copy/paste job nearly as much if it was on an "every 2/3 years" cycle like Halo is instead of a Madden schedule. COD's problem is that $60 bucks a year + DLC costs is a disgusting amount of milking.

I feel like people would complain more, I certainly would. Comments like "3 years and all we get is a glorified map pack with new weapons" would be pretty common.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally got around to preloading the MCC. Aw yiss.

To get a good idea on double jumps and ledge grabs look at titanfall, you can do exactly that.

IMO I think it might be a little too much for a halo game, the dodge pack thing in halo 4 was nice but also very minimal and never really served much of a use, double jumping is a huge change.

Watching people play the new cod with air dashing and super bouncing everywhere, it's eh.

It feels like every game is trying to adopt some sort of movement like this now.

Well, the obvious one is "what the heck are the Spartan Abilities."

3) Any other noticeable changes.

Ask about maneuverability and how they will keep that halo feeling doing so (if dash and double jumps are real)

Will we see a bigger range of unique weapons over the halo 4 lineup.

Will there be deathmatch maps floating in space.
Okay great. Anymore questions will be helpful. Also, Halo Channel stuff too. So questions for that to plz. Once I have everything listed ill post the details here on friday afternoon/or night around 7pm western time.

Only part that's been really confirmed so to speak is the part where we are back to controlling weapon spawns. He said people have a fair start but for all we know it could mean there are 3 load outs that are the same for everyone and we're allowed to pick. I'm curious if that is indeed the case or if we're back to all starting off with the same set of weapons.

Actually...

Sephzilla

I feel like people would complain more, I certainly would. Comments like "3 years and all we get is a glorified map pack with new weapons" would be pretty common.

I dunno, people didn't complain too much when Halo 3 came out and it wasn't a very significant change from Halo 2 in the least. Same with Gears of War. Bayonetta 2 isn't much different from Bayonetta 1 and its the GOTY for a bunch of people. Nintendo also tends to stay close to its roots with their core games, and they have so much money now that they could lose $200 million for the next two decades and still be perfectly fine.

It was confirmed last night be a tweet from 343 that everyone is going to start with the same weapon.

Top Bottom