• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

That's about how I feel. I had already written off Halo 5 almost entirely and consider the burden of proof to be on 343i to bring me back. If any of this turns out to be true? I'll just end up thinking "yep" and moving on. But I'm certainly not going to get upset at something I don't know to be true currently.

On a related note? I just got around to seeing those unlockable armors for the Halo 5 beta in the MCC. Boy oh boy those are sure ugly. Some designer really struggles with that ODST armor, don't they?

Wat.

Hey guys! Are we excited!?

I am!

Mostly just salt, tho.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Hoping someone can assist with this?

I want to get ready for competitive Halo, and that means playing on a monitor.

So I've bought an HDMI switch and an HDMI splitter.

This is what I want to do:

Split the TV signal from the Virgin Cable box to both the TV and the Xbox One's HDMI IN.
Basically the TV can switch to HDMI Source 2 and watch TV as normal without the Xbox One overlay.

Then, using an HDMI switch, I will run one cable from the Xbox One output to the switch, and from there have one cable running into the TV HMDI Source 1 as normal, and the another from the switch to the back of my PC monitor.

This will work, right?

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/JonnieClarko/NewSetup.jpg

Anyone got any experience with stuff like this? The cable from the switch to my PC monitor will be about 15m long - can it cause input delay/degraded quality?

Thanks!

Yes that will work, I'm doing something similar with two screens, a splitter and a matrix switch (four HDMI in, two out), TV Sat box, Xbox One, Xbox 360, I can chose which one I want to display on which screen, and I split TV in two to have it on Xbox On via HDMI in.

Yeah that's many cables :D

About the length of the cable, depending of its quality either you won't get a powerful enough signal thus no image or image drops, or it will just work perfectly. But no lag.

JoeDanny

I don't think the "343 knows exactly what they fucked up" bit was called for.

Uncalled for? Uh, no, it definitely was. 343 dropped the ball and chased the CoD bandwagon with Halo 4. They got burnt hard, and if they dont fix it in Halo 5 then they KNOW that they'll lose what little Halo community they have left

Madness

I'm not gonna believe anything until I see the actual game. Chill out for just a few days, then you have the right to get mad if it looks bad.

Yeah I'm the same. Why get upset yourself, diminish expectations, be negative when you can just ignore it and wait for confirmation. We're going to see Halo 5 soon anyway.

As for the ledge animation stuff, my only question would be why? What would it add to the game? Is it needed.

Sephzilla

Uncalled for? Uh, no, it definitely was. 343 dropped the ball and chased the CoD bandwagon with Halo 4. They got burnt hard, and if they dont fix it in Halo 5 then they KNOW that they'll lose what little Halo community they have left

Or they'll all just stick with the Master Chief Collection.

Booties

Banned
Or they'll all just stick with the Master Chief Collection.

Yeah. Halo 5 is most likely going to be shit. Halo isn't ever going back and you're foolish if you think it will be as good as any of the first 3. It might be better than Halo 4, but I don't think so.

Just play the MCC for antoher 3 years and hope for a new franchise to scratch that itch after that. RIP halo.

Tawpgun

I'm all for every spartan having an almost CoD AW like movement options. You can use the thrust pack to strafe, double jump/higher jump, destiny slide, etc. I'm all for adding mobility to Halo games. Make me feel like a Spartan.

But ledge climbing is kinda dumb imo. I'd prefer to reward precise jumps than just YOU HIT THE LEDGE CLOSE ENOUGH. And it is kind of a flourish animation thing.

Won't kill the game for me but I won't like it.

EDIT: Reading the leak, which to be fair I'm gonna treat as bullshit, but for now im gonna entertain the idea of it being real.

Movement Options: + for me. I love it.

Ledge Climbing: - Don't like it. I'd prefer if the movement options were used to reach platforms and stuff, not just grabbing the ledge. I just like rewarding good jumping and movement. Also I don't want to be taken out of the firefight by some silly animation and losing my reticle and shit due to a context sensitive ledge.

Sprint Charge: - this sounds like sprint rushing double beatdown shit... But I like how sprinting means shields don't recharge, thats a good feature.

Groundpound: Sounds dumb. Hope its not an instakill and it acts more like a melee from above. Or maybe its easy to dodge idk. The one in Crysis I guess wasnt that bad but still.

Breakout and that arena like tron map I assume he's talking about from the trailer: YES YES YES. I loved Team Tactical in Halo 3. Sad they never implemented a gametype with limited lives in MM. And that Arena from the Beta sounded awesme.

jem0208

As for the ledge animation stuff, my only question would be why? What would it add to the game? Is it needed.

Well, thinking purely about the positives.

It increases mobility, different options for skill jumps, it'll definitely help when moving quickly through the air which could allow people to take more risks when pulling off skill moves in the air.

Also from a non-gameplay perspective, it seems a bit silly that a Spartan wouldn't be able to pull themselves up a ledge.

Yes that will work, I'm doing something similar with two screens, a splitter and a matrix switch (four HDMI in, two out), TV Sat box, Xbox One, Xbox 360, I can chose which one I want to display on which screen, and I split TV in two to have it on Xbox On via HDMI in.

Yeah that's many cables :D

About the length of the cable, depending of its quality either you won't get a powerful enough signal thus no image or image drops, or it will just work perfectly. But no lag.

Thanks man.

Madness

Hoping someone can assist with this?

I want to get ready for competitive Halo, and that means playing on a monitor.

So I've bought an HDMI switch and an HDMI splitter.

This is what I want to do:

Split the TV signal from the Virgin Cable box to both the TV and the Xbox One's HDMI IN.
Basically the TV can switch to HDMI Source 2 and watch TV as normal without the Xbox One overlay.

Then, using an HDMI switch, I will run one cable from the Xbox One output to the switch, and from there have one cable running into the TV HMDI Source 1 as normal, and the another from the switch to the back of my PC monitor.

This will work, right?

NewSetup.jpg

Anyone got any experience with stuff like this? The cable from the switch to my PC monitor will be about 15m long - can it cause input delay/degraded quality?

Thanks!

Here's my question. Is your set top box "always on", many these days stay on in a standby mode to download the guide or update at will. Coupled with whether your Xbox One is in standby mode or goes off, you could be forced to pressing the input switches everytime you want to play because automatic switching would have it tough when the power sources are on.

Do you really need your cable box going through the xbox input? Just curious because I'd never used it like that, does it provide any benefits?

You probably will be at the top end for HDMI length. Even though it's all digital, most only go for 25 to 50 feet before experiencing degradation or signal loss, so a signal booster/extender might be needed.

Sephzilla

Yeah. Halo 5 is most likely going to be shit. Halo isn't ever going back and you're foolish if you think it will be as good as any of the first 3. It might be better than Halo 4, but I don't think so.

Just play the MCC for antoher 3 years and hope for a new franchise to scratch that itch after that. RIP halo.

I'm not going to say Halo 5 is going to be shit or anything like that, but I'm keeping my expectations low. The totally-not-loadouts, killcams, and "modernizing Halo" stuff they squeezed into Halo 2 Annivesary's multiplayer definitely feel like red flags though. Especially when you consider that MCC is more or less proving that Halo doesn't need modernization.

AlStrong

tbh, my first thought was accessibility if a person misses the jump (or if the ledges are actually too high for a normal jump, be it by design or happenstance). I haven't read a thing about what's got everyone all worked up, so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work. :p

Much salt.

Such pessimism.

uwdanman

Neo Member
tbh, my first thought was accessibility if a person misses the jump (or if the ledges are actually too high for a normal jump, be it by design or happenstance).

That's what I thought too, but I don't like it. If a player misses a jump they should not be given an ability to rectify their misjudgment. There is a risk in taking any jump and you either make it or you don't. If you make your jump, great! You've now gained an advantage or are progressing your strategy. If you don't, well then... errr... too bad. You're now at a disadvantage, but hey, that's the risk you took.

Booties

Banned
I'm not going to say Halo 5 is going to be shit or anything like that, but I'm keeping my expectations low. The totally-not-loadouts, killcams, and "modernizing Halo" stuff they squeezed into Halo 2 Annivesary's multiplayer definitely feel like red flags though. Especially when you consider that MCC is more or less proving that Halo doesn't need modernization.

True, I definitely exaggerate. It won't be much better than halo 4. I understand that devs don't just want to make the same halo year in and year out, but how is making the game more like CoD, the crown jewel of making the same game every year, any better? If you want to be unique and creative content with your talent, then do that. If you are just going to make CoD, then work on CoD. What they've given/shown so far is neither of those so we are just left with junky games.

Releasing the MCC is great, but I agree that it probably means they will use this game as a cushion to be more "creative" with future halo games. Read: more jet pack. If they can make future games that have totally separate playlists for classic gametypes with a good population size, then I will commend them.

But that won't happen. We've been asking for that for years and it hasn't even come close. I really think this game is going to go downhill from here. The MCC will be a classic. People will play it for years, but they rest of the halo franchise is finished and only going to get worse.

Spades

What time does the MP embargo end today? I wants to watch some streamssss

Unfortunately the update hasn't been released yet and so we won't be able to stream MP today.

I'll be online in a few hours though (5pm GMT) to stream some new missions:

“Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary:”
- The Silent Cartographer
- Halo (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 2: Anniversary:”
- Gravemind
- Prophet of Regret (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 3:”
- Sierra 117
- Floodgate (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 4:”
- Infinity
- Forerunner (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

t1415206800z0.png

Hope to speak to y'all in chat soon: http://www.twitch.tv/bloma

AlStrong

That's what I thought too, but I don't like it. If a player misses a jump they should not be given an ability to rectify their misjudgment. There is a risk in taking any jump and you either make it or you don't. If you make your jump, great! You've now gained an advantage or are progressing your strategy. If you don't, well then... errr... too bad. You're now at a disadvantage, but hey, that's the risk you took.

Yeah, it certainly has implications for the gameplay flow & level design (e.g. do they make the structures farther apart or always high enough to trigger the animation). I guess the only consolation is that the ledge climb can expose the player depending on how long they make the animation sequence.

jem0208

You legitimately think that Nightfall and Helioskrill armor aren't ugly? Are you 343i's armor designer?

Helioskrill looks awesome.

Halo-5-Guardians-Spartan-HELIOSKRILL.png

The only thing I don't like about it is the weird floating elbow bit.

I will admit that Nightfall has some weird proportions though.

You legitimately think that Nightfall and Helioskrill armor aren't ugly? Are you 343i's armor designer?

Yes, and no.

(Hire me 343!)

Anyway, I like them. Helioskrill takes a little getting used to, but I can dig it. Nightfall looks sold. It'll look much better once the implement the final material textures, but even now it looks pretty good.

Imagine playing on Midship... with people double jumping and edge climbing into the center platform while someone is hovering with his fancy jump pack.

I'd rather they trash all that and make Halo 5: Invasion 24/7

Patch, 4 new campaign levels and all MP modes

Unfortunately the update hasn't been released yet and so we won't be able to stream MP today.

I'll be online in a few hours though (5pm GMT) to stream some new missions:

“Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary:”
- The Silent Cartographer
- Halo (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 2: Anniversary:”
- Gravemind
- Prophet of Regret (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 3:”
- Sierra 117
- Floodgate (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

“Halo 4:”
- Infinity
- Forerunner (Nov 5 @ 5pm GMT)

t1415206800z0.png

Hope to speak to y'all in chat soon: http://www.twitch.tv/bloma
you guys are awesome, thanks

AlStrong

I'd rather they trash all that and make Halo 5: Invasion 24/7

Would love to see another take on the Invasion mode, but maybe more akin to Overrun in Gears Judgment with the A.I. Could be a blast with dedicated servers and much higher character counts + vehicles. Throw in a scarab on defense... :p

Ominym

Banned
Eh. Never my favorite, though I did like the pauldrons.
Your answer surprises me. I found the Hayabusa armor to be super dumb and didn't like it. Similar to how I feel about the Hiloskrill armor as I feel like it doesn't "fit" and looks too cartoony for even something like Halo.

I have gotten to the point where I'm more excited about Halo 5 after even hearing the "apparent leak." Some of those ideas could work. The fact that we have same weapon starts is already a massive improvement.

It's going to be a beta, can we reserve our salty complaining and comments until we have our hands on the beta? That's what it's for. We don't have concrete facts and we will get to see some Halo 5 on Monday.

Sephzilla

My only complaint about Helioskrill is that it still has too much undersuit exposed - which is a recurring issue with all of the 343 suits. That suit needs some proper shoulder and waist armor.

My only complaint about Helioskrill is that it still has too much undersuit exposed - which is a recurring issue with all of the 343 suits. That suit needs some proper shoulder and waist armor.

Suits should feel more like a walking tank then a swimsuit, I agree.

Also that helmet posted in the artwork above is terrible, I hate that design in my halo

Top Bottom