• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

Suits should feel more like a walking tank then a swimsuit, I agree.

Yep. The other issue is that with all that exposed under-suit, it looks more and more like it belongs in Crysis and not Halo.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jYt40.png[/img]

Chief just looks so much more exposed in Halo 4 than in the previous versions.

(Secondary nitpick - stop taking the color out of his suit)

What if the exposed parts are an option now? That would be great.

I guess I'd be okay with it. But it still would look massively out of place in my opinion though.

The Flash

Banned
Helioskrill looks awesome.

Halo-5-Guardians-Spartan-HELIOSKRILL.png

His feet are weird

Helioskrill looks awesome.

http://teambeyond.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Halo-5-Guardians-Spartan-HELIOSKRILL.png[IMG]

The only thing I don't like about it is the weird floating elbow bit.

I will admit that Nightfall has some weird proportions though.[/QUOTE]
Eh maybe if you take off the fish tail part of the helmet in the back. That part looks silly to me, but otherwise it's okay.

Would love to see another take on the Invasion mode, but maybe more akin to Overrun in Gears Judgment with the A.I. Could be a blast with dedicated servers and much higher character counts + vehicles. Throw in a scarab on defense... :p

24 players Invasion with the possibility to spawn AI via drop pods would be awesome.

jem0208

His feet are weird

It's an Sangheili design. So I suppose it's modeled after the Elites?
Yep. The other issue is that with all that exposed under-suit, it looks more and more like it belongs in Crysis and not Halo.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jYt40.png[/img]

Chief just looks so much more exposed in Halo 4 than in the previous versions.

I guess I'd be okay with it. But it still would look massively out of place in my opinion though.

There doesn't seem to be that much more undersuit visible on 4's chief than the others... It actually seems to blend in a bit more which is nice. My only real issue with 4's design is the floating shoulder bits. Other than that I actually prefer it to the older designs.

I think the Halo 4 armor's chestpiece is a little smaller and almost his entire abdominal region is exposed. Just my opinion but the Halo 4 armor looks more like a bunch of separate easily removable pieces, while the Halo 1, 2, and 3 armors look a bit more like one solid "suit".

His stomach is exposed in the others as well, even more so with CE's design.

I think it was also intended to be a bunch of removable pieces as well. In the final cutscene in 4 the way they remove it is by taking all the different pieces off. I actually think the whole "one solid suit" thing would be a bit weird. How exactly would they take it off and on again?

Sephzilla

There doesn't seem to be that much more undersuit visible on 4's chief than the others... It actually seems to blend in a bit more which is nice.

I think the Halo 4 armor's chestpiece is a little smaller and almost his entire abdominal region is exposed. Just my opinion but the Halo 4 armor looks more like a bunch of separate easily removable pieces, while the Halo 1, 2, and 3 armors look a bit more like one solid "suit".

AlStrong

24 players Invasion with the possibility to spawn AI via drop pods would be awesome.

The Elites had better be rocking plasma swords when they come out. ;)

There are times when I look at the new chest pieces and I'm more reminded of armoured parachute harnesses tbh.

The final cut-scene of H4 rubbed me the wrong way with the armour just falling apart. I mean it was very cinematic and all, but it just didn't seem right.

klodeckel

Banned
Just want to share some of my thoughts regarding that recent Halo 5 info leak.

If I read some of the comments here I am really not sure what some actually expect from Halo 5. The comments with complaints always have one thing in common: they don't want to see new things. Whatever 343 Industries will add to the current sandbox formula - HaloGAF is always complaining. It is a situation they can't really win.

Halo 5 will offer something new. Because it needs to. Keep the main gameplay feel but add fresh elements. They need to find the right balance here. It is the next main installment of one of the biggest IPs out there. They can't just release a Halo 2 MP map-pack with better graphics again. They will definitely try new things. 343 has some amazing talent - why limit this artificially? There is a chance some things will work very well - and others won't. That's why we have a real beta one year before the actual release of the final game.

If all you really want is the pure and classic Halo 2/3 gameplay, then you will get your thing in 6 days. And you can play it until the end of this generation - or even further. But this shouldn't exactly the same route Halo 5 will go.

To tell you the truth, I think the leak is legit. It just fits in my opinion. All the elements and especially that new game-mode he described seem to take the "eSports" and "Arena shooter" gameplay direction.

I know that most of the complaints here are based on what they got with Halo 4. There are concerns because of how that game handled its multiplayer. And I can totally understand that. Really.

However, I hate generalizations and prejudgments based on a very simple written text. So maybe we should just wait - we will see things on our own in a few days. Personally, I am very confident that 343 Industries will do things right with Halo 5.

I still remember clearly seeing Halo 2's chief for the first time and going WTF to his armor, lol.

I like the design for halo 4 and they did a brilliant job in the details but it's weak compared to his halo 2 setup, which IMO looks a lot more iconic now then ever before.

At least the halo 2 Anniversary fmv's keep the green of his suit without watering it down.

Strider

If I read some of the comments here I am really not sure what some actually expect from Halo 5. The comments with complaints always have one thing in common: they don't want to see new things. Whatever 343 Industries will add to the current sandbox formula - HaloGAF is always complaining. It is a situation they can't really win.

Halo 5 will offer something new. Because it needs to. Keep the main gameplay feel but add fresh elements. They need to find the right balance here. It is the next main installment of one of the biggest IPs out there. They can't just release a Halo 2 MP map-pack with better graphics again. They will definitely try new things. 343 has some amazing talent - why limit this artificially? There is a chance some things will work very well - and others won't. That's why we have a real beta one year before the actual release of the final game.

If all you really want is the pure and classic Halo 2/3 gameplay, then you will get your thing in 6 days. And you can play it until the end of this generation - or even further. But this shouldn't exactly the same route Halo 5 will go.

To tell you the truth, I think the leak is legit. It just fits in my opinion. All the elements and especially that new game-mode he described seem to take the "eSports" and "Arena shooter" gameplay direction.

I know that most of the complaints here are based on what they got with Halo 4. There are concerns because of how that game handled its multiplayer. And I can totally understand that. Really.

However, I hate generalizations and prejudgments based on a very simple written text. So maybe we should just wait - we will see things on our own in a few days. Personally, I am very confident that 343 Industries will do things right with Halo 5.

Excellent post. I agree completely. Especially...

The comments with complaints always have one thing in common: they don't want to see new things

and

Halo 5 will offer something new. Because it needs to.

I'm all for new gameplay mechanics. There is so much time between the reveal and launch that plenty of feedback will be heard and the new stuff can be tweaked accordingly. Halo 5 is going to be a good game. Have faith people.

Sephzilla

The comments with complaints always have one thing in common: they don't want to see new things.

I actually hate this argument. People don't have issues with new things if they're good. Dual wielding (from everything I remember) was embraced by the Halo community. Equipment in Halo 3 was embraced by the community. Hornets were embraced. Gungeese have been embraced.

People like and want new stuff if it's actually good. The reason people are apprehensive about Halo 5 having new stuff is because a lot of the new stuff introduced in Halo 4 wasn't that good.

My only complaint about Helioskrill is that it still has too much undersuit exposed - which is a recurring issue with all of the 343 suits. That suit needs some proper shoulder and waist armor.

I like it, actually. Makes them look a lot leaner and more mobile. It wasn't great in Halo 4 where the shiny, bumpy, colored undersuit was just way too visible, but with a muted tone to it it looks pretty good.

tootsi666

There are new gameplay mechanics (double jump) and then there are stupid stuff (visible timers on weapon spawns).

Sephzilla

I thought Cairo Station was harder, but maybe that's just me.

I actually agree with you. Jackal snipers are annoying because if you screw up you're dead almost instantly, but it's easy to figure out where they are and pop them off quickly with a little trial and error. On Cairo Station your weapon variety is pretty limited and if you don't have a Noob Combo equipped you're in for a rough time.

I just got an Xbone recently. Did those region locking changes recently made ruin any chances of playing the digital version of Halo MCC early through the use of an alternate account or VPN?

There are new gameplay mechanics (double jump) and then there are stupid stuff (visible timers on weapon spawns).
Because why level the playing field?

IHaveIce

Banned

Bullshit mate.
There are alot who said new movement abilities are fine ( myself included) but stuff like Charge and Groundpound sound like Destiny Supers. Floating is just unneeded, Ledge climbing will truely be annoying and these are all reasonable complaints.

OFC there also some special guys here who are always "ew new stuff, fuck dat" but not this time, if double jump replaces jetpack I'm fine, if thrusting is the new ability instead of normal sprint I'm fine.

Though all those movement things will just mean one conclusion:
Every map will be way bigger

So long as you can turn it off for customs, I'm all for including weapon timers in matchmaking. At least, if handle it like H2A's weapon icons (you can't see them through level geometry). Players who've learned the spawns will still be at an advantage, and lower-tier players have some tools to help them learn.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why is it called a cod piece?

Should be called a cock piece.

Fish don't belong there.

edit: Nevermind, I googled it.

edit:edit: patch yet?

VinFTW

I just got an Xbone recently. Did those region locking changes recently made ruin any chances of playing the digital version of Halo MCC early through the use of an alternate account or VPN?

Because why level the playing field?
Wasn't the guy who made that thread generalizing a personal problem? I thought it was just him and nothing changed.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Halo 5 storyline to be written by the Speaker.

"Go here and do things for reasons."

Sephzilla

Depends how the maps are designed, doesn't it? I mean, it's not like the jetpack where your verticality is so massively increased that it becomes impossible to design around.

Yeah, it would heavily influence map design.

I don't really see the need for a double jump in Halo what so ever.

I'm all for increased player mobility, honestly, so long as it doesn't carry the negative side effects of sprint, i.e. screwing with the traditional mobility+shooting dynamic, or providing an easy escape route.

jem0208

It means you're much more mobile, which can both make the gameplay more interesting and increase the skill gap substantially. Combine double jump with thrusters and IMO you get awesome.

Madness

Double jump and ledge climbing to me just scream "more ways for people to break multiplayer maps"

Will probably end up being the next jetpack. Wait for the inevitable comparisons and responses to all these changes. "How does jetpack break maps? Just design them with jetpack in mind, problem solved". "

Sephzilla

I'm all for increased player mobility, honestly, so long as it doesn't carry the negative side effects of sprint, i.e. screwing with the traditional mobility+shooting dynamic, or providing an easy escape route.

It means you're much more mobile, which can both make the gameplay more interesting and increase the skill gap substantially. Combine double jump with thrusters and IMO you get awesome.

To me that seems like it shakes up the core gameplay a little too much. For the pace of Halo I think you're already pretty mobile considering how high a spartan can jump plus the added bonus of crouch jumping.

Adding double jump would also probably kill the possibility of adding many legacy maps to Halo 5. The way smaller legacy maps would be played would be completely changed / possibly ruined. Ivory Tower, for example, with double jump I just don't think would be much fun.

Will probably end up being the next jetpack. Wait for the inevitable comparisons and responses to all these changes. "How does jetpack break maps? Just design them with jetpack in mind, problem solved". "

The difference is, Jetpack was an AA, so not everybody had it. You *couldn't* design maps with the Jetpack in mind.

Tawpgun

I will admit that Nightfall has some weird proportions though.

This is something I've noticed with some of the Halo 4 and Halo 5 armor.

Especially in the helmets.

Look at the Mark VI

halo-5-guardians-armor-unlocks-from-halo-the-maste_27sb.1920.jpg

Halo-4-Mark-VI1.jpg

compared to

MJOLNIR_Mark_VI.png

Master_chief_with_2_SMGS.jpg

It's subtle, but the new Mark VI helmet feels off. The same way the Halo 3 ODST helmet looked better than the Halo 4 and 5 counterpart. Also, Scout Helmet going from H3 to H4. It's almost as if 343 elongates it or something. Idk it just feels off.

Top Bottom