• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

MouldyK

Me too, I have to say I was really hoping for player/party toggles of maps and gametypes with bare bones playlists. The insane value of this game hasn't diminished for me because of them missing but toggles appear to be long overdue for Halo. I would have thought MCC was the perfect opportunity.

Toggles provide player choices, reduce quitters (like a lot IMO), create closer game outcomes (more effective ranks anyone?), reduce developer/sustain resources required and empower players while creating faster matches and easy dynamic voting to boot.

I just don't understand how toggles keep getting left on the cutting room floor? Is it a technical framework thing with the Halo engine or just development decisions to always stick with matchmaking verbatim? Who knows...

I would very happily hand over $5-$25 per month for dedicated local Azure servers whenever I or friends of mine fire up customs in MCC or any future Halo game.

My impossible dream would go something like this:

- Select Big Team Battle Playlist
- Decide on Map in Lobby as usual.
- Decide on Gametype on the selected Map.
- Start Game.

Like I know we all want to play on Sandtrap rather than Ragnarok, but why do we have to choose between Sandtrap Slayer and Ragnarok CTF is we have played Slayer 5 times in a row, one of which was on Ragnarok?

Also, if Mario Kart 8 lets me choose between 32 tracks on my own freewill, why does Halo only give me a choice out of 3 maps each time?

If MCC only gives me an option of 3 maps out of the 100 which can be played with as Slayer, why bother if it picks 3 maps I hate?

I thought they looked awesome in Halo 4. The sounds they made were goofy as hell, though.
They looked like Doom 3 hellknights drawn onto Spartans, discarding their tendril design. Much prefer the grotesque mass of bodies of the Bungie era.

This is the Flood to me:

Floodlegate.jpg

Bisley2_large.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

My impossible dream would go something like this:

- Select Big Team Battle Playlist
- Decide on Map in Lobby as usual.
- Decide on Gametype on the selected Map.
- Start Game.

Like I know we all want to play on Sandtrap rather than Ragnarok, but why do we have to choose between Sandtrap Slayer and Ragnarok CTF is we have played Slayer 5 times in a row, one of which was on Ragnarok?

Also, if Mario Kart 8 lets me choose between 32 tracks on my own freewill, why does Halo only give me a choice out of 3 maps each time?

If MCC only gives me an option of 3 maps out of the 100 which can be played with as Slayer, why bother if it picks 3 maps I hate?

Good questions and perhaps the average time to complete a Mario Kart race is less than the average game of Halo? Therefore player pools are easier spread? Also less permutations per race vs. settings & maps etc?

At the end of the day I understand a full custom games browser = lopsided populations around a few maps and variants. However, this doesn't have to mean taking away player choices entirely. I want to choose which map and gametype I'm going to play. Take for example the launch MCC playlists, I can't day one go and exclusively play CTF or assault. I also can't just play a specific map.

If player toggles were present you could say select a minimum of 5-20 maps and at least 2 gametypes. Players are either default all on or toggled what they want; the same goes for party leaders setting toggles for all in their party. Now when matchmaking occurs filter ranks, parties, regions and most importantly toggles. From here 3 voting options shown are from the sub-set of toggles based on players matched.

Bam, instant choice with all the benefits of matchmaking and most of the benefits from a custom games browser. I had this hope for MCC, it would have been a thing of beauty and IMO attracted plus retained population long term.

I'm sure my experience will not be indicative of others' for the final version, but I wanna bitch about this somewhere.

I downloaded the press pre-release a couple days ago, and was able to play H1, H2, H3, and H4 campaigns, as well as H1 and H2 local multiplayer. Everything was as good as one could hope it to be.

Last night I downloaded the patch. It downloaded quickly, and installed quickly. I got into the game, tried to pop into Forge, and it said that that hadn't installed yet. So I waited and watched. The progress bar got to about 87% for H2A content, then went back down to 50. I was surprised and confused, but I let it go, and let it go again. This time it didn't get as far before resetting. So I uninstalled the whole game, let it download over night, and booted it up this morning.

Now H1 and H4 were available, and nothing else was. I let it download for a while.
B1yzdicIgAAHDUn.png:large

So now I've done a factory reset on my system (no great loss, haven't used this thing much and Destiny stores itself in the cloud), and am redownloading it again. I'm certain this will fix it, right? Time will tell.

My basic review of the package will be up tomorrow, regardless, and I'll stream some Forge stuff for everyone to enjoy. But I ain't breakin' the embargo date, that's for sure.

They looked like Doom 3 hellknights drawn onto Spartans, discarding their tendril design. Much prefer the grotesque mass of bodies of the Bungie era.

This is the Flood to me:

Floodlegate.jpg

Bisley2_large.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

While that's great for campaign flood, don't the multiplayer models have to be something a lot closer to the standard hitbox?

darthbob

I'm sure my experience will not be indicative of others' for the final version, but I wanna bitch about this somewhere.

I downloaded the press pre-release a couple days ago, and was able to play H1, H2, H3, and H4 campaigns, as well as H1 and H2 local multiplayer. Everything was as good as one could hope it to be.

Last night I downloaded the patch. It downloaded quickly, and installed quickly. I got into the game, tried to pop into Forge, and it said that that hadn't installed yet. So I waited and watched. The progress bar got to about 87% for H2A content, then went back down to 50. I was surprised and confused, but I let it go, and let it go again. This time it didn't get as far before resetting. So I uninstalled the whole game, let it download over night, and booted it up this morning.

Now H1 and H4 were available, and nothing else was. I let it download for a while.
B1yzdicIgAAHDUn.png:large

So now I've done a factory reset on my system (no great loss, haven't used this thing much and Destiny stores itself in the cloud), and am redownloading it again. I'm certain this will fix it, right? Time will tell.

My basic review of the package will be up tomorrow, regardless, and I'll stream some Forge stuff for everyone to enjoy. But I ain't breakin' the embargo date, that's for sure.

67713-somethings-fucky-gif-7Gkg.gif

Compsiox

Banned
Wow the Urban Gaming Legend that we all tried to prove is real...is finally real!!!

The Golden Warthog in Forge

Akai__

This didn't work for me.

How long have you been in power save mode? People in the other thread said it took them like 15 minutes, until they heard the HDD working, while the system was off.

Mine was starting after 5 minutes maybe.

Edit: it seems like it's region or timezone based. Some will have luck, others won't. Everyone should be fine though. I mean you still have 4-5 days to download it.

Madness

Any thoughts on CE's netcode? I want to watch it but every time I open a stream the person's playing H2:A.

It played well the few matches I saw. Sniper reticle is back to small as well. Can't really say for certain how the netcode will ultimately be but CE fans should be happy especially if settings, weapon spawns, vehicles spawns mirror OG Xbox.

MouldyK

Good questions and perhaps the average time to complete a Mario Kart race is less than the average game of Halo? Therefore player pools are easier spread? Also less permutations per race vs. settings & maps etc?

Well yeah, with MK8 you are only choosing the map. And even then, just because 8 out of 12 people have picked Mario Circuit GBA, does not mean that the other 4 maps don't have a chance as it works like this:

mk8online3.png

Notice how 4 people picked Piranha Plant Pipeway and Yoshi Valley while only 2 picked Sunshine Airport, yet that still seems to be the picked one. I like how even if you pick a map nobody likes but you, there is still a CHANCE you can get what you want.

I'd want 2 things, either:

- Make the maps choice expand to 15 for MCC and 5 for Halo 5 (even the same map with different gametypes) and keep the Veto System.
- Make the maps choice expand to 15 for MCC and 5 for Halo 5 (even the same map with different gametypes) and go with the "Spin The Wheel".

Basically, more choice is what I want if they are not going full custom.

And while I am on the "Things Mario Kart 8 does which Halo should do", how about include the Tournament Feature thing like MK8 has? Mario Kart 8 has a "Create a Tourney" mode which lets you:

- Specify the mode your tournament will be using (For Halo it could be T.Slayer, Oddball etc.)
- The rules for items (Loadouts).
- How long each round will last (Round Times).
- The rules for vehicles (Not applicable to Halo).
- What control method can be used (Bumper Jumper Only?).
- if there will be computer players (Not applicable).
- How often your tournament will happen, the day it will be on (if weekly), the start date (if it will be on a single day), the end day, the end date, the end time, how many races there will be (Basically, HaloGaf could set a tournament which reset every Sunday where every member can play 10 matches in that week and earn points for each map, all going onto a leader board and if Darthbob manages to win all of his matches, he will have 100/100 points for that week. Once you have played 10 matches, you are instead put into matches fr fun against fellow HaloGAFers) .
- If groups will be shuffling (want people to play those 10 matches against the same group or should the matches rotate people every time?).
- if the tournament will be public or private, whether global or regional players can play, and the ranking necessary for players to play in the tournament. (Rank and Location Restrictions).

Wow, when I think about it, MK8 offers me a lot of choice on what type of game I want to play...

CliQ

It played well the few matches I saw. Sniper reticle is back to small as well. Can't really say for certain how the netcode will ultimately be but CE fans should be happy especially if settings, weapon spawns, vehicles spawns mirror OG Xbox.

Thats great news! Especially the sniper reticle being back to the original. SO can you answer me this about vehicles.

In Halo CE Xbox vehicles never respawned is that the case in Halo CE MCC?

Onikaan

Dudes on the Beyond stream encountering bugs in the pregame lobby settings. It wont let them change teams. Is there a patch due for Tuesday?

RowdyReverb

Dudes on the Beyond stream encountering bugs in the pregame lobby settings. It wont let them change teams. Is there a patch due for Tuesday?

Maybe (hopefully) an effect of pre-launch server oddities? Either way, I'm sure the 15GB patch isn't the only one we're going to get. Idk if the next one will be a day one patch though.

singhr1

Maybe (hopefully) an effect of pre-launch server oddities? Either way, I'm sure the 15GB patch isn't the only one we're going to get. Idk if the next one will be a day one patch though.

I have the same feeling here. Game feels rough around the edges in some places. Like how do the new medals in the old games not have any description on them. Some of the symbolism is arbitrary.

Booshka

Disappointed to see that Sidewinder teleporters are 2 way, instead of the 1 way like in Xbox Halo.

It's amazing that the first Xbox can get confused with Xbox One, and Halo CE on Xbox can get confused with Halo Custom Edition on PC.

singhr1

Review embargo up 12 PM PST, 3 AM EST. IGN is only posting their "review-in-progress"

Most people seem to just be posting their review of campaign as matchmaking is not yet live.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This Snipetality stream would be way better without radar...

Review embargo up 12 PM PST, 3 AM EST. IGN is only posting their "review-in-progress"

Most people seem to just be posting their review of campaign as matchmaking is not yet live.
Sweet, I'm glad reviewers are taking the "in progress" route.

Seems like the best option ATM. Wish 343 could have gotten matchmaking up by now, though.

Eh. As long as it's working by launch.

Top Bottom