• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Random17

Loving the Terminals, half expecting a
Ancient Humanity or Mendicant Bias related terminal in the game.

The trailer gave me the impression that it focused primarily on the Arbiter; but this seems to being focusing on each Terminal dealing with the backstory of the specific environment involved.

Edit: The Bulletin says otherwise. Nevermind!

My face.
QKU2rSb.png

And I thought my hype was over agonizing (°ロ°)

I think it's a huge upgrade.

Agreed. Compared to the old one this one packs way more of what they were trying to get across in terms of.. whatever emotion the moon is conveying x.x

Loving the Terminals, half expecting a
Ancient Humanity or Mendicant Bias related terminal in the game.

The trailer gave me the impression that it focused primarily on the Arbiter; but this seems to being focusing on each Terminal dealing with the backstory of the specific environment involved.

Edit: The Bulletin says otherwise. Nevermind!

Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking of that. I am also expecting some wild curve ball to appear in the terminals somewhere >.> Trying to brace for it early.

Mix

Oh man,
Linda and Fred
in that terminal gets me pumped up. I don't think they'd go to the trouble of casting and introducing them if they weren't going to be included in H5. cannot wait for the game!

Random17

Still betting on 85 Metascore. Remakes generally get lower scores and AAA games have generally been receiving the shaft in the last few years. I remember when 8/10 was a low score for a good game, now Sunset Overdrive gets plenty of 8s and 9s and it is suddenly very good. (I haven't played it and I'm not doubting its quality, I'll probably end up getting it soon.)

Stuff like the 20GB patch, framerate issues, minor bugs etc might pull it down.

This is probably a low end estimate but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Madness

wait...what?!

Yeah, only ranked and visible playlist is Team Halo 2 Anniversary. The rest remain unranked until post launch. How long this will be we don't know. But knowing 343 and how long they took with Slayer Pro revamp, I'd expect January after the Halo 5 beta or maybe in December with the Spartan Ops update.

Supposedly there will be internal skill matching, but no ranks.

They want to discover problems with it before they roll out to other games to make sure it's working correctly

Yeah... Not like 3 of the games in the collection have had ranking systems already. It's like we said, this game is being developed and released with too much crunch and some stuff just didn't make the deadline so they prioritized certain stuff.

I surely hope we're not going to have a repeat of the Halo 4 launch with a bunch of stuff just not in the game (H4 file share for example) or half finished and/or half functioning.

Strider

I was under the impression there would be a ranked/social set up, wasnt that confirmed during IGN first?

Kinda sounds like whats gonna happen. They already have a ranked H2A playlist and a social one. My guess is they'll just add a ranked playlist for the others later and leave the existing ones as the social playlist.

Booshka

First month of MCC in the wild should be quite interesting. I imagine a lot of stuff will just be set on fire or somewhat broken with all of the users hitting the game and servers.

Man, here's a question I haven't seen answered yet.

Online co-op. Input delay?

*Possibly* in Halo CE, but 2 3 and 4 all had solid enough net code so they should be fine. I played Halo 3 and 4 over live co-op and never had any issues, and that was on 360 so it should be even better now, unless the faster framerate throws a hitch in it and makes what used to be imperceptible input lag now noticeable, albeit minor.

tl ; dr I'm not worried.

*Possibly* in Halo CE, but 2 3 and 4 all had solid enough net code so they should be fine. I played Halo 3 and 4 over live co-op and never had any issues, and that was on 360 so it should be even better now, unless the faster framerate throws a hitch in it and makes what used to be imperceptible input lag now noticeable, albeit minor.

tl ; dr I'm not worried.

Halo 2 never had online co-op and Halo 3 was well known for its bad net code in co-op.

Halo 2 never had online co-op and Halo 3 was well known for its bad net code in co-op.

I didn't say Halo 2 had online co op. Re-read my post. I said it had solid enough net code (it had online multiplayer that ran reasonably well).

And as far as Halo 3 goes, I never had any issues playing online co-op. It was perfectly acceptable for me performance wise.

DesertFox

Strangest thing just happened. I booted up Halo 4 to check on a forge map after not playing the game since June of 2013. Right as Halo 4 logged into my account, I got a system notification that 16 achievements unlocked.

The achievements that unlocked are from DLC map packs and I have definitely not met the criteria for them. I'll take the free gamerscore.... just thought it was strange. Anybody else experienced this?

FyreWulff

Strangest thing just happened. I booted up Halo 4 to check on a forge map after not playing the game since June of 2013. Right as Halo 4 logged into my account, I got a system notification that 16 achievements unlocked.

The achievements that unlocked are from DLC map packs and I have definitely not met the criteria for them. I'll take the free gamerscore.... just thought it was strange. Anybody else experienced this?

Part of a recent Halo 4 TU.

I didn't say Halo 2 had online co op. Re-read my post. I said it had solid enough net code (it had online multiplayer that ran reasonably well).

And as far as Halo 3 goes, I never had any issues playing online co-op. It was perfectly acceptable for me performance wise.

And that netcode isn't the same nor does it meet the needs and sync requirements of co-op netcode.

Also, despite your poor memory, Halo 3's netcode, both co-op and multiplayer, was total garbage.

Madness

Damn, didn't even think that by not putting the hammer in for H2A there will essentially be no no newer grifball or grifball maps. Coupled with the fact SWAT is rotational, I don't think they realize just how popular these modes had become.

FyreWulff

Could they?

Yep.

Well, not only because you can have unlimited patch sizes these days, but the Halo engine stores the weapon data in the map files

Halo 3 actually added the Golf Club as a new gun in Sandbox, for example, and the Transport Hornet was for all intents a completely new vehicle as far as the engine was concerned.

The golf ball and soccer balls in the Halo 3 DLC are actually new vehicles, you just can't get in them. You can 'flip' them with RB, though.

Reach added the Covenant Bomb for Invasion Breakpoint.

etc

Damn, didn't even think that by not putting the hammer in for H2A there will essentially be no no newer grifball or grifball maps. Coupled with the fact SWAT is rotational, I don't think they realize just how popular these modes had become.

Everyone knows that halo 3 grifball was the best grifball.

FyreWulff

If someone has the MCC and can load up the Forge canvas:

Start a Forge session and go to the north of the map until you get stopped by an invisible wall or soft kill. Spawn a small static object as close to that wall as you can, edit it's coordinates, and write down those coordinates.

Do that for the opposite side, and the other direction (east/west). Write all those coordinates down.

then spawn an object in the water and write down the Z value of it's Edit Coordinates. Go as high as you can and write down that Z.

That would tell you how big the H2A canvas is compared to other maps or Forge canvases across Halo games.

Did you know there were birds in standoff? I never noticed. If there were, they'd have to be two to three pixels large on the original version of the game.
ib19ldm1fEoPDu.jpg

Computron

If someone has the MCC and can load up the Forge canvas:

Start a Forge session and go to the north of the map until you get stopped by an invisible wall or soft kill. Spawn a small static object as close to that wall as you can, edit it's coordinates, and write down those coordinates.

Do that for the opposite side, and the other direction (east/west). Write all those coordinates down.

then spawn an object in the water and write down the Z value of it's Edit Coordinates. Go as high as you can and write down that Z.

That would tell you how big the H2A canvas is compared to other maps or Forge canvases across Halo games.

also note the location of the origin, since some of the halo 4 maps where weird about that. also, many of them weren't cubic, if I recall...

FyreWulff

also note the location of the origin, since some of the halo 4 maps where weird about that. also, many of them weren't cubic, if I recall...

yeah. This is Forge Island, the biggest canvas so far

Guaranteed the map can't be bigger than a certain size due to file format limitations of Forge variants, but I'm wondering how the H2A canvases compare to Forge Island.

Top Bottom