• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Cow

HCS is also forcing H2A on the competitive scene, they always go where the money is, so it's gonna be the game all the Pro's are playing too.

I knew this would happen. I don't find that too much of a problem, 343 are putting money up to promote their new experience. It's just a shame that such a requested feature is being restricted at launch for some trivial reason (which seems more like an excuse).

I literally (and I don't use that word often) never once saw anything as extreme as a half-second between button press and action on-screen. For me it was at worst-cases a very slightly noticable delay, but nothing as extreme as 0.5seconds, and nothing that made the game unplayable.

That was playing off-host. But I always had a top-notch (for its time) broadband connection, none of that DSL shit or super-saver bottom-tier cable internet. I'm sure the argument will be that it wasn't dependent on your connection, but all I'm saying is I never experienced those extremes in lag.

Maybe it's different for folks overseas?? I'm in the states and always played with someone else in the states.

Besides isn't all of this irrelevant? If there are dedicated servers for online co-op, there shouldn't be any off-host input lag should there? Certainly not anything remotely close to what you're saying people experienced in H3/H4.

Sadly co op is running the same code more or less from its original forms. fyrewulf confirmed for me months ago to my terror fears that putting mcc on servers for campaign just wouldnt work. or would take waaaay to much work & be beyond the dev scope of a simple remaster set.

So any lag issues anyone had with cea, reach, 3 etc in co op there going to appear in MCC as well =(

I literally (and I don't use that word often) never once saw anything as extreme as a half-second between button press and action on-screen. For me it was at worst-cases a very slightly noticable delay, but nothing as extreme as 0.5seconds, and nothing that made the game unplayable.

That was playing off-host. But I always had a top-notch (for its time) broadband connection, none of that DSL shit or super-saver bottom-tier cable internet. I'm sure the argument will be that it wasn't dependent on your connection, but all I'm saying is I never experienced those extremes in lag.

Maybe it's different for folks overseas?? I'm in the states and always played with someone else in the states.

Besides isn't all of this irrelevant? If there are dedicated servers for online co-op, there shouldn't be any off-host input lag should there? Certainly not anything remotely close to what you're saying people experienced in H3/H4.

I'm in the US, New Mexico specifically, and it was terrible for people in the same city, and I/we have good connections. When we wanted to play with friends out of state, it got really bad. It's all due to being a completely different manner of communicating the information compared to MP. Co-op uses lockstep, where everyone involved is required to stay up to date on all object/enemy/environment states currently in play at all times, whereas multiplayer simply adjusts as best as possible based on the latest vs previous information states. That's why MP matches with decent to good connections have people running around smoothly and poor connections have people "skipping" or lagging around. It's a latency issue pure and simple. If you're on the same ISP, even cross-country (you both have Comcast, for example), it's entirely likely that those packets didn't have to leave the network and got there faster. But I've never experienced smooth co-op in any halo game at 4 different residences with 3 different ISPs, so I'd say I have a large enough sample size to make a solid statement.

As far as dedi's go, from what we've heard/read, dedis are only for matchmaking, not custom/private games.

Sadly co op is running the same code more or less from its original forms. fyrewulf confirmed for me months ago to my terror fears that putting mcc on servers for campaign just wouldnt work. or would take waaaay to much work & be beyond the dev scope of a simple remaster set.

So any lag issues anyone had with cea, reach, 3 etc in co op there going to appear in MCC as well =(

Basically this ^^^

For lockstep, it's not really going to help since everyone has to keep up to date on all the information at all times, not just the server, as the case would be in MM.

I'm in the US, New Mexico specifically, and it was terrible for people in the same city, and I/we have good connections. When we wanted to play with friends out of state, it got really bad. It's all due to being a completely different manner of communicating the information compared to MP. Co-op uses lockstep, where everyone involved is required to stay up to date on all object/enemy/environment states currently in play at all times, whereas multiplayer simply adjusts as best as possible based on the latest vs previous information states. That's why MP matches with decent to good connections have people running around smoothly and poor connections have people "skipping" or lagging around. It's a latency issue pure and simple. If you're on the same ISP, even cross-country (you both have Comcast, for example), it's entirely likely that those packets didn't have to leave the network and got there faster. But I've never experienced smooth co-op in any halo game at 4 different residences with 3 different ISPs, so I'd say I have a large enough sample size to make a solid statement.

As far as dedi's go, from what we've heard/read, dedis are only for matchmaking, not custom/private games.

Basically this ^^^

For lockstep, it's not really going to help since everyone has to keep up to date on all the information at all times, not just the server, as the case would be in MM.

As long as I have at least the same experience as I had before with Halo 3 and 4 I'm good, and hopefully Halo 2 will be similar to those two insofar as online co op.

Halo CE:A was the only one where I can whole-heartedly agree that the off-host person had a shit time, but if it that's the sacrifice so be it. I'm happy with the online play I had in H3/4 so I'm pretty confident this one will be fine as well.

darthbob

Basically this ^^^

Now I'm nervous about co-op for MCC.

Fuck. I should have seen this coming lol

As long as I have at least the same experience as I had before with Halo 3 and 4 I'm good, and hopefully Halo 2 will be similar to those two insofar as online co op.

Halo CE:A was the only one where I can whole-heartedly agree that the off-host person had a shit time, but if it that's the sacrifice so be it. I'm happy with the online play I had in H3/4 so I'm pretty confident this one will be fine as well.

For some reason the whole dual graphics engine added input lag to the game even if you are playing all by yourself o_O

If you go load up cea on your 360 right now and play in the new graphics you will have input lag for some reason. I like try melee'ing & really focus on the time it takes for your melee to be thrown out. then switch back to classic graphics & perform the same test. I noticed a very real difference in the inputs from classic to remastered.

So i can only imagine how much that adds to actual co op input lag on live due to how its setup.. I feel like H2A will have the same issue. for some reason layering 2 graphics engines on each other causes your inputs to have slight lag in the remastered graphics. Its because of this that you probably finally noticed the really bad off host experience despite having a not so bad time in other halo's.

Now I'm nervous about co-op for MCC.

Fuck. I should have seen this coming lol

I already went through my grieving process. I was so hyped up & kept thinking "It will be so amazing to play lag free co op in these amazing stories!" Then fyrewulf threw the book at me then i got so D=

For some reason the whole dual graphics engine added input lag to the game even if you are playing all by yourself o_O

If you go load up cea on your 360 right now and play in the new graphics you will have input lag for some reason. I like try melee'ing & really focus on the time it takes for your melee to be thrown out. then switch back to classic graphics & perform the same test. I noticed a very real difference in the inputs from classic to remastered.

So i can only imagine how much that adds to actual co op input lag on live due to how its setup.. I feel like H2A will have the same issue. for some reason layering 2 graphics engines on each other causes your inputs to have slight lag in the remastered graphics. Its because of this that you probably finally noticed the really bad off host experience despite having a not so bad time in other halo's.

I already went through my grieving process. I was so hyped up & kept thinking "It will be so amazing to play lag free co op in these amazing stories!" Then fyrewulf threw the book at me then i got so D=

Then just play co-op in classic mode? I've gone through Halo 2's campaign four times over the past week while testing various speedrun routes and easter eggs, not to mention refreshing my memory on a few things. Graphics are crusty but dear to my heart. I'll be fine with it I'm sure. :)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Only H2A will be ranked at launch, and it will stay that way for a while? WHAT THE FUCK. I didn't buy this game to play awkwardly tweaked nu-Halo. I bought it to play Halo 2 and 3 online, RANKED. And now that's not happening, and there's no estimate for when it will.

I knew shit would fall apart in some capacity right before or at launch. I knew it. Yes, I'm mad.

From the Polygon review:

Multiplayer playlists can jump from game to game if desired, which leads to an often disorienting period of adjustment, but it underscores how much really changed between each release — and how fun each game still is, even removed from its specific historical context. Every game holds up, despite its particulars and flaws (like CE's completely broken weapon balance).

Someone from the CE brigade better have a shit ton of pitchforks handy.

Then just play co-op in classic mode? I've gone through Halo 2's campaign four times over the past week while testing various speedrun routes and easter eggs, not to mention refreshing my memory on a few things. Graphics are crusty but dear to my heart. I'll be fine with it I'm sure. :)

I was simply stating all of this because I think its odd that they sacrifice performance for some fluff. honestly I would rather just not have the graphics overlay if its going to cause input lag to further layer on the input lag already on co op. I too just played cea almost all in classic cause the input lag was making legendary a chore.

Only H2A will be ranked at launch, and it will stay that way for a while? WHAT THE FUCK. I didn't buy this game to play awkwardly tweaked nu-Halo. I bought it to play Halo 2 and 3 online, RANKED. And now that's not happening, and there's no estimate for when it will.

I knew shit would fall apart in some capacity right before or at launch. I knew it. Yes, I'm mad.

*rubs my forehead* sooooo many people are misunderstanding this. The only thing that is restricted to the 1 H2A playlist, is the number that appears next to your name. That's it. =)

The "ranked" matchmaking algorithm that actually records your skill & pairs you against better & better opponents is in ALL ranked playlists at launch. So you are still going to get that "ranked" experience if you keep playing your favorite ranked playlist. The only thing is you wont see a number next to your name at launch outside that one playlist.

From the weekly "playlists will not be ranked immediately at launch (however, they will still have skill matchmaking underneath to ensure balanced matches), but will each receive ranked play post-launch."

IMO it doesnt really matter about the number as long as matchmaking is actively recording my performance & pairing me against people of my skill level. That is what ranked is all about to me. its not about the number, its about the stuff under the hood that actually pairs me against skilled people & doesnt put bad players on my team.

tl;dr if all you care about is a number next to your name your out of luck for now. it was my impression people just wanted a real algorithm that pairs you with even skilled players for intense matches, which is what we are getting at launch in all ranked.

Hard to say when they'll implement ranks for all the games, but it didn't sound like it would be too far off. 343 said the ranking system in H2A is the same used across the board for the other games, too. I'd hope it would be within the next month or two at the very latest.

Can't wait for the full release so I can jump into some games with you guys.

Did anyone watch my stream yesterday? Playing Halo 3, got a disgusting noscope on one of the other players.

Interestingly - Theater works just as you remember, but when you save a clip, it saves it to Game DVR. I wonder if the clip is saved at 720/30 or at a full 1080/60?

Also, campaign theater is definitely in. And File Shares have up to 50 slots. :D

FyreWulff

Can't wait for the full release so I can jump into some games with you guys.

Did anyone watch my stream yesterday? Playing Halo 3, got a disgusting noscope on one of the other players.

Interestingly - Theater works just as you remember, but when you save a clip, it saves it to Game DVR. I wonder if the clip is saved at 720/30 or at a full 1080/60?

Also, campaign theater is definitely in. And File Shares have up to 50 slots. :D

Confirm on not being able to save the film files themselves permanently?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ranks aren't a big deal to me. They're nice, but I don't need them to have fun. They can be implemented in 3+ months and I'll still be happy. It's too bad that this news had to be sprung a few days before launch, though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I was simply stating all of this because I think its odd that they sacrifice performance for some fluff. honestly I would rather just not have the graphics overlay if its going to cause input lag to further layer on the input lag already on co op. I too just played cea almost all in classic cause the input lag was making legendary a chore.

*rubs my forehead* sooooo many people are misunderstanding this. The only thing that is restricted to the 1 H2A playlist, is the number that appears next to your name. That's it. =)

The "ranked" matchmaking algorithm that actually records your skill & pairs you against better & better opponents is in ALL ranked playlists at launch. So you are still going to get that "ranked" experience if you keep playing your favorite ranked playlist. The only thing is you wont see a number next to your name at launch outside that one playlist.

From the weekly "playlists will not be ranked immediately at launch (however, they will still have skill matchmaking underneath to ensure balanced matches), but will each receive ranked play post-launch."

IMO it doesnt really matter about the number as long as matchmaking is actively recording my performance & pairing me against people of my skill level. That is what ranked is all about to me. its not about the number, its about the stuff under the hood that actually pairs me against skilled people & doesnt put bad players on my team.

tl;dr if all you care about is a number next to your name your out of luck for now. it was my impression people just wanted a real algorithm that pairs you with even skilled players for intense matches, which is what we are getting at launch in all ranked.

The number matters because that is how I measure my skill against other players.

Hard to say when they'll implement ranks for all the games, but it didn't sound like it would be too far off. 343 said the ranking system in H2A is the same used across the board for the other games, too. I'd hope it would be within the next month or two at the very latest.

That's an absolutely ridiculous amount of time. I feel misled about the lack of ranked playlists and absolutely would not have purchased an Xbox One and MCC had I known this earlier. But you know, always have low expectations and expect everything to either be missing or broken at launch, right?

The longer it takes for ranks to be implemented the less time I will have to play my favorite Halo games with a decent population before everyone migrates to Halo 5 in a year. 12 months was already short, and now it's going to be cut even shorter. Ranked playlists for games with dead populations were the primary reason I bought the game and there was no indication until now that they'd be missing from my purchase.

The number matters because that is how I measure my skill against other players.

That's an absolutely ridiculous amount of time. I feel misled about the lack of ranked playlists and absolutely would not have purchased an Xbox One and MCC had I known this earlier. But you know, always have low expectations and expect everything to either be missing or broken at launch, right?

My counter to that is first of all, anyone can boost, get boosted, or buy a 50. So honestly(much like K/D) rank is not really a reliable way to "measure" yourself. I can go in with a full team and stomp on random teams to boost my K/D & i can also get my rank boosted by playing with insanely good people, or I can just buy a 50.

Real performance is honestly the only way to measure your skill against another. I always found it odd that in halo 3 days my team of 45 to 48 ranks beat way more 50 teams than we lost to lol. Then I discovered boosting was a thing & it all made sense.

The fact that we are still getting skilled parings in all ranked playlist is a huge win. Sure the lack of number sucks for some but imagine if ALL playlists but one were essentially social o.o Were way more fortunate than you think.

The longer it takes for ranks to be implemented the less time I will have to play my favorite Halo games with a decent population before everyone migrates to Halo 5 in a year. 12 months was already short, and now it's going to be cut even shorter. Ranked playlists for games with dead populations were the primary reason I bought the game and there was no indication until now that they'd be missing from my purchase.
I guess for me, just knowing that ranks are in fact going to be implemented in the hopefully near future is enough. I'm gonna need some serious time to get re-acquainted with the game any how. So having a few weeks to a couple of months to get seasoned will be nice. And I actually have no idea when ranks are getting thrown in. I was just guessing. Hopefully it's not long though.

EDIT:
Yes - and you can play at 12AM Eastern no matter your US timezone IIRC.
That's huge news. I've always thought the gated release of games based on time zones was a dumb system. It serves no purpose other than to give people on the east coast a head start before everyone else, despite the fact that everyone has waited the same length of time for said game to be released.

GrizzNKev

Banned
My counter to that is first of all, anyone can boost, get boosted, or buy a 50. So honestly(much like K/D) rank is not really a reliable way to "measure" yourself. I can go in with a full team and stomp on random teams to boost my K/D & i can also get my rank boosted by playing with insanely good people, or I can just buy a 50.

Real performance is honestly the only way to measure your skill against another. I always found it odd that in halo 3 days my team of 45 to 48 ranks beat way more 50 teams than we lost to lol. Then I discovered boosting was a thing & it all made sense.

The fact that we are still getting skilled parings in all playlist is a huge win. Sure the lack of number sucks for some but imagine if ALL playlists but one were essentially social o.o Were way more fortunate than you think.

Your rank is an indication of how consistently you win games. There's going to be much less boosting and account selling in a launch environment, and you're discounting an entirely worthwhile system due to a relatively small problem. Ultimately I'm getting less than what I feel like I was told was in the game, and I'm not going to be thankful or apologetic.

I guess for me, just knowing that ranks are in fact going to be implemented in the hopefully near future is enough. I'm gonna need some serious time to get re-acquainted with the game any how. So having a few weeks to a couple of months to get seasoned will be nice. And I actually have no idea when ranks are getting thrown in. I was just guessing. Hopefully it's not long though.

There is still a hard skill based algorithm in ranked. So if you play ranked out of the gate the game is going to judge & place you as if you had a number next to your name. you just wont see it outside of that one ranked playlist. But you will be paired & forced against evenly skilled players regardless of the visibility of the number.

Anyone thinking ranked will just be a playground where ranked is non existent are in for a rude wake up x.x

Your rank is an indication of how consistently you win games. There's going to be much less boosting and account selling in a launch environment, and you're discounting an entirely worthwhile system due to a relatively small problem. Ultimatell I'm getting less than what I feel like I was told was in the game, and I'm not going to be thankful or apologetic.

I'm not discounting it, I'm simply saying that you will STILL be paired based on skill so it doesnt technically matter. Not to mention as you yourself said, this is going to be a launch environment. Many people's ranks would sky rocket out of the gate due to the insane amount of bad players to pick on lol

As for getting less than what you were told, this is a simple matter of consumers not keeping their expectations in check. 343 always used the labeling "targeting" and "planning too" in regards to things like resolution & the ranking system. They never once hard confirmed that ranked out of the gate would have numbers next to your name. We do however have the ranked system in place in every ranked playlist.

The visual number is honestly the least important of the ranking system since its really only there as visual. It doesn't actually have any effect on anything. Its the systems under the hood that decide who you fight & where you are "ranked". Having those systems in place for launch is a huge win rather than everything being social but that one playlist.

TL;DR I understand some really like the numbers & I can respect that. But we have a working ranked algorithm behind the scenes that will function & give us even or close skilled matches, which is the reason I think we all play ranked to begin with. To not get paired with low skilled people.

I posted a video of exactly how big Nebula is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoRorsFtStM

1080p, 60fps. Enjoy.

Really nice video. Not sure why I started laughing halfway through =P

Now do one driving from one end to the other ( ・ω・)っ

Cow

Me too. It's a fucking joke and a classic 343 move. They know people have been expecting this for a long time and only say "well actually..." today. I purchased MCC for H2 and 3 ranked on XB1 and I can't get it out of the box because 343 wants to promote their fancy new version of the game. Makes me so angry, had friends lined up ready to grind H2/3 ranks on launch day.

The worst bit about it all is how hesitant they are to give it a timeframe. Get that shit in at launch.

My Review

(Yeah, i know, its not english)

90/100

Pro:

-4 game
-Awesome Halo 2 Remake
-Forever Multiplayer
-Extras
-Amazing Atmosphere
-Music Remake

Contra:

-Some technical problem
-"Only 4 games? Why?"
-Halo 4 FPS drops
-Missing loading screens. (for fan)

Other thing:

Matchmaking not working now. :(

GrizzNKev

Banned
Me too. It's a fucking joke and a classic 343 move. They know people have been expecting this for a long time and only say "well actually..." today. I purchased MCC for H2 and 3 ranked on XB1 and I can't get it out of the box because 343 wants to promote their fancy new version of the game. Makes me so angry, had friends lined up ready to grind H2/3 ranks on launch day.

The worst bit about it all is how hesitant they are to give it a timeframe. Get that shit in at launch.

Yep. The whole thing about me getting an xbone for this was to play ranked with my brother like we used to 7+ years ago. When I saw the playlists reveal I contacted him, made plans to start on Team Hardcore with him Day 1, and then spent the money to make it possible. Now here we are days from launch and we find out it isn't going to be possible, for a while at least. I feel completely fucked. Was it not fair to combine "We will have ranks" and "Here are the launch playlists" to determine Team Hardcore would be ranked at launch?

Here's a quote from a recent review, Metro.co.uk, which gave Halo: MCC a 8/10.

So essentially, they're critiquing the exact opposite elements of what Halo fans have been complaining about since Halo: Reach. Halo 4 was supposed to be that "modernized Halo", yet look how that turned out. Now that's a Halo game that got dull "after a few hours." I wish reviewers would somewhat acknowledge this, especially since this is a remaster and not a brand new Halo game.

What the fuck am I reading? This is why they keep adding 'modern' bullshit to Halo games.

What the fuck am I reading? This is why they keep adding 'modern' bullshit to Halo games.

A Metro review. nuff said

The h2/3 hardcore list really ought to be ranked from day one.

Why have I seen two reviews now listing there being 'only' four games in the MCC as a valid or relevant criticism?

Woorloog

Banned
www.youtube.com/user/HaloWaypoint/videos

"Prologue Terminal"s? Okay, I guess I'll watch.

Ugh.
Terrible.
They don't look nice. The voice acting is bad.
I really hope the rest of Halo 2A terminals are better, but somehow i doubt they will.

Why have I seen two reviews now listing there being 'only' four games in the MCC as a valid or relevant criticism?

Perhaps they wonder why ODST and Reach are not part of the collection? Even though it has been stated that the collection is about the Master Chief more so than Halo series.

Lack of ranks at is very disappointing... that was one of they main reasons my friends were coming back. To play Halo 1-3 ranked.

"The selection to start with a ranked H2A playlists is not at all an effort to “force” H2A, but instead begin the focus with H2A, as we’ve stated – it’s the newest experience in the box" - Bravo

So basically they are trying to force H2A. I knew something like this would happen.

This is absolute fucking bullshit. I mean my mind is blown at the bait and switch that has just happened. I thought Halo 2 was supposed to SHIP the exact same way it did 10 years ago.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The Halo 5 leak was most likely real. Based on info from reviews, the press played Halo 5 at an MCC event on November 4, the day the Halo 5 article was written.

A Metro review. nuff said

The h2/3 hardcore list really ought to be ranked from day one.

It's hilarious that we're getting 4 Halo games for the price of 1 game, and people are complaining that it's not enough.
How is that possibly a con?

Sordid

I'm not discounting it, I'm simply saying that you will STILL be paired based on skill so it doesnt technically matter. Not to mention as you yourself said, this is going to be a launch environment. Many people's ranks would sky rocket out of the gate due to the insane amount of bad players to pick on lol

There's invisible 'ranks' in every Halo game that tracked skill, regardless if shown or not. matchmaking works the same either way.

If we're getting skill matched anyway why not just show the underlying rank? Frankie said:

We're making sure it works right before full roll out.

but if the ranks did turn out to be broken at launch they could just reset them once the issues are sorted. It happened with Halo 2 back in the day after all, it'd be fitting!

Top Bottom