• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Hmm...I read that wrong I guess. But I could have sworn in the past that it was said that HCE was going to have 4v4 out of the gate.

I don't keep up with the bulletins and such. I just get really frustrated when a few days from the launch of a game, the truth starts to pour out and it astounds me how shit like this actually gets put on the back burner leading up to launch.

Pretty much in any other business, if your product you released to a client wasn't 100% finished...you'd be losing that business.

I guess us gamers just accept it as norm?

Is it ideal? Not at all. But with all the issues its had, as someone posted earlier, it still needs some time to bake. Again, it's not going to be as expansive as originally thought, but it'll still be featured in Team Slayer and BTB, as well as customs.

^No, I get it, I am more frustrated that the guy who made that topic named it what he did, giving the impression that Halo CE simply wont be playable in matchmaking in any way.

Yea... I think I'll be around for silly ass customs, but christ man all this salt and hate lol

Kid doesn't even post in HaloGaf. It's the race to first culture yet again.

Booshka

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about CE in Matchmaking, yes it will be playable, but only so long as it is voted upon among other Halo titles. That is my issue, I would want to boot up MCC and click on Halo CE MP, then choose between 2v2 Slayer, 1v1, or 4v4 Slayer and Objective playlists, without ever having to touch other Halo games. That is not possible at this point, and all three of those options will probably never be available at the same time in Matchmaking for Halo CE.

ya'll are kidding yourselves if you think the average joe is going to pick Halo CE over Halo 2/3 in grab bag playlists. if you want to play CE you're most likely going to need to play customs

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about CE in Matchmaking, yes it will be playable, but only so long as it is voted upon among other Halo titles. That is my issue, I would want to boot up MCC and click on Halo CE MP, then choose between 2v2 Slayer, 1v1, or 4v4 Slayer and Objective playlists, without ever having to touch other Halo games. That is not possible at this point, and all three of those options will probably never be available at the same time in Matchmaking for Halo CE.

Not possible at launch. Sucks, but thems the breaks.

no CE playlist at launch?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929218

come on 343, seriously?

im speechless, why...
the pre-aim isnt that much of an isse to drop the dedicated CE list entirely tbh, and the listed bugs on reddit are all fairly minor and can be patched in progress
actually keeping CE in the other playlist sort of confirms this already, this decision makes no sense

besides that having solely a 2v2 playlist for CE is utterly stupid, only the few hardcore CE fans want such a playlist but no one else
the popularity will be low and therefore the distance between players bigger, which increases the lag
the general newcomer to CE would benefit much more from a 4v4 or 8v8 CE playlist to find a friendly way into the game and start to learn the mechanics
just have one person to quit the game in a 2v2 paylist and the fun is over...

so my current options are to either team up with a full party of CE friends to force win the map election in CEs favour or play custom games, my hype just went negative

No way they'd devote 3 playlists to CE and CE only. That's just not a thing that will happen, and frankly it's kind of a ridiculous expectation.

Madness

Is "there is, in fact, CE in matchmaking" a spin?

Eh, my mistake. So it's only in team Slayer and BTB? That's not really a compromise though. How many people are going to vote for 4v4 on CE maps over say a Halo 3 map? Same goes for BTB.

That's the point of the dedicated playlists, so you aren't forced to playing something else, or another game.

Last time for Halo 4, it took them nearly till January to bring back the non infinity, pro hard-core playlist.

This guy can't read.

How about a constructive answer, even criticism of my post, rather than be a prick? Welcome to ignore.

VinFTW

You've already stated several times you're not getting an Xbox One for various reasons. So I don't know how this affects you.

OT: The assumption nobody will vote for CE is a lofty reach, I know I will on more than several occasions.

How about a constructive answer, even criticism of my post, rather than be a prick? Welcome to ignore.

I did give you a constructive response in the gaming side thread which you didn't seem to read either.

ElRenoRaven

Yea that is my dream too. I'd love to be able to pick a game be it Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4 and then you have some playlists related to the game such as Team Slayer, FFA, Objective, etc. I know that would probably mean low populations for them but I can dream that it wouldn't can't I?

Eh, my mistake. So it's only in team Slayer and BTB? That's not really a compromise though. How many people are going to vote for 4v4 on CE maps over say a Halo 3 map? Same goes for BTB.

That's the point of the dedicated playlists, so you aren't forced to playing something else, or another game.

Last time for Halo 4, it took them nearly till January to bring back the non infinity, pro hard-core playlist.

Yeah, fair enough. I hope they get to it faster than that.

FyreWulff

I wish in KOTH they would have the announcer call that its mathematically impossible to win and just end the game early.

It's still weird that the only gametype that ends when it's mathematically impossible to lose was Reach Grifball.

Never implemented into any other objective gametype :(

You've already stated several times you're not getting an Xbox One for various reasons. So I don't know how this affects you.

Shade thrown!

Honestly, I feel for you CE hardcores. This sucks, but it's what it is. They had the choice to run it as it was, or hold back and keep fixing things. Hopefully it'll all be worth it.

-Ryn

Banned
Why are so many people assuming nobody will want to play CE in matchmaking? I'd wager a large amount of the Halo fanbase will be eager to give it a shot. Just unfounded pessimism.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Why are so many people assuming nobody will want to play CE in matchmaking? I'd wager a large amount of the Halo fanbase will be eager to give it a shot. Just unfounded pessimism.

Because we live in a COD world.

Imagine the first time a player who's never played CE decides to vote on CE, immediately they will get pissed when they get 3-shotted across the map off spawn. Then they will go into rage mode when they find out there isn't regen health. Then they will start to growl at themselves when they fall from a height and realize there's fall damage and when they instantly die from the fall, BAM!, they will press start, and quit. Never to play it again.

That's today's gamers for ya. HCE is the non-hand-holding Halo and only the strong will survive. ;)

FyreWulff

Using the PC version as a base was a mistake but I suppose it was easier to get multiplayer going that way.

They should at least try to patch it to make it more like the original Xbox version.

Using the Xbox version as a base would never work. You'd have button input lag and could only ever have 4 unique boxes in any match, because it ran off lockstep networking.

They can probably get Halo 1 MCC closer, but there's just some stuff that can't happen due to needing to work over the internet in a sane way.

Cow

I feel like H2A is really missing Midship for tournaments. At least someone could do a pretty good forge of beaver creek and that could be used hopefully.

belushy

Banned
I feel like H2A is really missing Midship for tournaments. At least someone could do a pretty good forge of beaver creek and that could be used hopefully.

I'm hoping for an Onyx remake soon after launch. One of the better things about late comp H4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing earlier. I don't get why the tournament today isn't using Sanctuary, either.

Booshka

These 3 game series are all going to be the same maps, for consistency.

I imagine Sanctuary will be in the 5 game series though.

Tawpgun

Halo CE ping sound is needed if the off host netcode is like it is. From what I read it's like an improved pc netcode.
Ie instead of 50 ping it's more like 15. Still gotta lead shots a bit but at least it's not halo pc levels.

The dong sound lets the player know he's hitting the target.

Maybe fyre or someone can elaborate but I think with workin with what they had the ce online is still an impressive feat

88gA59I.png

any CE fan that feels gutted, lets unite

together we easily can create a full team for 4v4 or 8v8 to force win the map election
depending on the CE vote position we either automatically win or we just need the other team to split their votes
i already have a few friends in my friendlist that solely want to play CE
CE only in customs isnt an option, its a joke!

GT = beamimpact

Halo CE ping sound is needed if the off host netcode is like it is. From what I read it's like an improved pc netcode.
Ie instead of 50 ping it's more like 15. Still gotta lead shots a bit but at least it's not halo pc levels.

The dong sound lets the player know he's hitting the target.

Maybe fyre or someone can elaborate but I think with workin with what they had the ce online is still an impressive feat

I wonder if it's possible to add a visual cue, or at least turn down the volume of the bong. I understand why it's there, but it's annoying as hell.

BigShow36

No way they'd devote 3 playlists to CE and CE only. That's just not a thing that will happen, and frankly it's kind of a ridiculous expectation.

Why? Is there some limit on the number of playlists a game can have? Aside from their abritrarily imposed "population division" bullshit, they should have several playlists for each game, for all of the main gametypes of those games. Just because they are randomly limiting the number of playlists doesn't mean we still shouldn't comment on how asinine it is.

Cause it wasn't in the Pax Prime tournament? That's not a good enough reason for me, lol. Sanctuary is GOAT.

It's because all we've seen is first round matches and these are the gametypes for this round. It'll be different for the next couple rounds.

Sanctuary was in the post on waypoint about the tourney.

Cause it wasn't in the Pax Prime tournament? That's not a good enough reason for me, lol. Sanctuary is GOAT.

Sanctuary is fantastic, but I gotta say I'm loving these 5-flag and Crazy King matches on Warlord.

Why? Is there some limit on the number of playlists a game can have? Aside from their abritrarily imposed "population division" bullshit, they should have several playlists for each game, for all of the main gametypes of those games. Just because they are randomly limiting the number of playlists doesn't mean we still shouldn't comment on how asinine it is.

"Arbitrary?" Dude, there's a fixed number of players. Too many playlists means that you end up diluting the population in each to the point that you start running into matchmaking difficulties. Maybe if this thing ends up having more players and more legs than they initially expected they'll up the playlist total, but until then, better safe than sorry.

-Ryn

Banned
Because we live in a COD world.

Imagine the first time a player who's never played CE decides to vote on CE, immediately they will get pissed when they get 3-shotted across the map off spawn. Then they will go into rage mode when they find out there isn't regen health. Then they will start to growl at themselves when they fall from a height and realize there's fall damage and when they instantly die from the fall, BAM!, they will press start, and quit. Never to play it again.

That's today's gamers for ya. HCE is the non-hand-holding Halo and only the strong will survive. ;)
lol I didn't realize most Halo players were 5 years old.

This isn't a CoD world and it never has been. Yes military shooters were more prevalent for a while but that was just dipshits aping something because that's where the money was at the time. The market is only getting more diverse and I don't think that most people just want to play CoD games. Halo CE was a huge hit because it was a great game and still is so if people are given the option I'm sure plenty will want to play it again ;)

Would be interesting to see how halo would be different if the pistol hadn't been as powerful when it launched.
Seeing as how Halo 2 was originally planned to be something completely different from CE, I don't think anything different in that game would've changed the course of history.
GT = beamimpact
FUNKNOWN iXi
Toggles would have been perfect for this collection.

at this point i wished 343i would have went for a BF4 like server system...
CE with the mode, playercount and map(cycle) that i want
the community then decides by joining servers which maps and modes are popular
for the lazy have a matchmaking system that lets you pick from playlists and then roots you to a matching server, incase casual players are new to server lists

microsoft doesnt need to pay for the servers, the community can decide what they want and for how long a game will last in popularity
everyone wins

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's because all we've seen is first round matches and these are the gametypes for this round. It'll be different for the next couple rounds.

Sanctuary was in the post on waypoint about the tourney.
I get that they want to use the same maps for each round. I just wish Sanc was one of those maps. It'll be cool to see it later on.

best OP

FyreWulff

Shields already light up when a player is hit, I don't see why the sound is necessary at all.

Shields are client side. They don't mean anything.

Your box may assume the player was hit, the server thinks differently, so now someone flares up but they've never actually been hit server-side.

In later Halo games shield flare is actually controlled by the host box. Flaring on your box = flaring on the host box.

Booshka

Shields already light up when a player is hit, I don't see why the sound is necessary at all.

Well shield feedback and pop is glitched and inconsistent as well, so that's not really working either.

Shields are popping late for shots, not at all, and sometimes when the player is already dead. It's overall really janky.

Ramirez

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing earlier. I don't get why the tournament today isn't using Sanctuary, either.

I don't see this taking off competitively for the sole fact it has like 3 maps total, it gets boring pretty quickly. Really wish they would have remade a good set of maps for their e-sports shit, even pulling from the other games.

VinFTW

I don't see this taking off competitively for the sole fact it has like 3 maps total, it gets boring pretty quickly. Really wish they would have remade a good set of maps for their e-sports shit, even pulling from the other games.

I agree, but I'm hoping they'll push some awesome Forge maps. I think it'll work.

Sure, forge map isn't as nice as a shiny new remake but, it could work.

similar to CliQ ill post this list once in a while if there is actual interest and will update it regularly
either post or PM me to add you guys

CE Love List
What is it for?
As there is no dedicated CE playlist on launch we team up to force win the map elections in 4v4, 8v8 or FFA playlist in CEs favour
as we target to get full teams going, our election win is pretty much guaranteed
this is also a great way to get in contact with other CE fans for potential Customs and stuff

Participants:

beamimpact
FUNKNOWN iXi

Top Bottom