• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

jem0208

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...Don't assume until you have footage tomorrow"

"If it looks like a duck, but walks like a guy in a duck suit, it's probably a guy in a duck suit"

This LOOKS like ADS, from the footage it appears to ACT like normal zoom.

Dude, we HAVE FUCKING FOOTAGE.

There is like, NO zoom.

It's ADS. I know it's hard to admit, but its CoD ads.

Seriously, I'm sorry... but it's ADS like in CoD.

EDIT:

I'm too angry to explain it well: Compare the zoom from old BRs with this one, it's barely any zoom in comparison.

See above (my edit).

Maybe this actually implies the BR's zoom is reduced?

It very clearly zooms slightly.

Dude, we HAVE FUCKING FOOTAGE.

There is like, NO zoom.

It's ADS. I know it's hard to admit, but its CoD ads.

Seriously, I'm sorry... but it's ADS like in CoD.

EDIT:

I'm too angry to explain it well: Compare the zoom from old BRs with this one, it's barely any zoom in comparison.

See above (my edit).

QFT

No denial of ADS is a confirmation. This is why the beta is so early, its basically floating ADS to see if people lose their shit. The gif is the worst couple of seconds I have ever seen. If you told me it was Destiny or CoD I would believe you.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
yeah, us fucking weirdos, not wanting our favorite series to literally become COD

Yeah. I'm a horrible person because I want devs of my favourite series to innovate the series, not transform it to CoD.

There's a difference between innovating what you have and just copying stuff others have. Because the latter has always worked well in the past, right?

For me, the big differentiator between Halo and COD has always been that Halo is a combat sandbox, and COD isn't. It's the millions and millions of little unintended moments of gameplay that spring up as a result. It's brilliant. And it's brilliant even with sprint or new aiming options or armor lock.

Killing someone with a cone to the head in The Pit. Killing someone with a splatter for a vehicle you weren't even in. Sniper ricochets. And on and on. Halo doesn't try to control the experience. Set the playground, set the pieces in the playground, and then take a step back and watch the fun unfold.

QFT

No denial of ADS is a confirmation. This is why the beta is so early, its basically floating ADS to see if people lose their shit. The gif is the worst couple of seconds I have ever seen. If you told me it was Destiny or CoD I would believe you.

And it will stay there, it wont be removed in the final game.

Computer

I cant tell if the ADS kill"s the movement. The BR zoom is nerfed big time. Unless you can swap out scopes witch is probably the case. My guess would be you can put a scope on the BR that makes it old school zoom.

Euron

All you hardcore Halo fans are a weird bunch. I don't envy the position 343 is in, or Bungie was in at the end.

Make even the smallest changes, and your biggest "fans" scream and howl.

Don't make changes, and you're stuck with a stale, old-feeling product.

The rule seems to be "older is always better." The old maps were better than the new. No armor abilities > armor abilities. Old weapons better than the new weapons. I'm not the world's biggest Halo fan, with "only" a 2000-3000 multiplayer games played, but I actually liked the DMR more than the BR. Does that make me a heretic? Am I entitled to that opinion?

343 is boxed into a corner by their fans that all have different opinions on what "Halo" is and will throw tantrums if the studio deviates from that in the slightest.
But it's not a small change at all. In fact, it changes the entire gunplay of Halo. Halo is a fast-paced run and gun shooter. As stated in the other thread, ADS turns it into a run OR gun shooter. Instead of moving around to get kills, players will be forced to stand in one spot to accurately shoot an enemy and get a kill, just like pretty much every other shooter these days.

And sprint? Sprint by default stretches out maps. We will never get something like Guardian ever again because the maps will need to be bigger because of default sprint. And if the movement speed was increased already, what would be the point of sprint?

You're comparing apples to oranges. We're talking about the very core of Halo's gameplay being altered to be identical to pretty much every other shooter on the market and you compare this to the BR vs DMR debate, something as simple as a weapon.

But of course, IGN will fully support everything like you always do. You'll give Halo 5 a 9.5-10, say how it's the best in the series, and include it in the top 5 in one of the hundred Top 25 Xbox games lists you'll inevitably have. You'll make it seem like a very small minority of extremist fans are complaining about something nonexistent yet at the same time, the community will drop even harder than it did with Halo 4.

Ramirez

Anyone who trusted this studio to deliver the Halo they wanted after 4 is a fool anyways, they admitted to hiring people who hated Halo, and by the looks of it, still are, lol.

FAIR STARTS, 4V4 ARENA GAMEPLAY

No different than the ole bait and switch they pulled with 4 when they unveiled Chief with just a BR, and then that gif came out. Just a bunch of misleading horse shit.

Onikaan

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

tootsi666

For me, the big differentiator between Halo and COD has always been that Halo is a combat sandbox, and COD isn't. It's the millions and millions of little unintended moments of gameplay that spring up as a result. It's brilliant. And it's brilliant even with sprint or new aiming options or armor lock.

Killing someone with a cone to the head in The Pit. Killing someone with a splatter for a vehicle you weren't even in. Sniper ricochets. And on and on. Halo doesn't try to control the experience. Set the playground, set the pieces in the playground, and then take a step back and watch the fun unfold.
The big difference always was that Halo is run 'n gun, CoD is run or gun. Run or gun isn't always worse than run 'n gun, but it isn't Halo.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
But of course, IGN will fully support everything like you always do. You'll give Halo 5 a 9.5-10, say how it's the best in the series, and include it in the top 5 in one of the hundred Top 25 Xbox games lists you'll inevitably have. You'll make it seem like a very small minority of extremist fans are complaining about something nonexistent yet at the same time, the community will drop even harder than it did with Halo 4.

I'm just a dude on a message board, man. I was a member of Halo GAF years and years before my current job.

Raide

Halo Tourney is like amazing time-travel. Great to see and hopefully it widens the Halo community but I also hope Halo 5 makes some interesting changes to freshen things up a bit.

The big difference always was that Halo is run 'n gun, CoD is run or gun. Run or gun isn't always worse than run 'n gun, but it isn't Halo.

CoD is not "Run and Gun". CoD is the opposite of Run and Gun. If you want to fire at full accuracy you have to stop moving, go prone, and aim down sights. In Halo, you keep full accuracy no matter how fast you are moving. That is Run and Gun.

Akai__

Asked around, things can change but, assault rifle got dat ADS too, "pretty much" all the weapons. They're going for that e-sports scene very hard.

Welp.

RIP

I think the only way it might work is if they make hip-fire viable as in Destiny. Otherwise...eh..

What made more more sad is that, while MC is still playable, Locke really is the primary character. Goddamnit.

RIP in peace even more.

Euron

I'm just a dude on a message board, man. I was a member of Halo GAF years and years before my current job.
Sorry man, jumped the gun a bit. I'm just pissed that so many games are bombing right now, including some of my favorite franchises ever and many people seem like they don't see this.

jem0208

Okay, now I am also worried. However, I will wait until tomorrow.

Same, if confirmed then damn.

Cmon, don't give up now. Spin it as a positive. Maybe it's only all guns with ADS in one mode, and another mode won't have ADS in the weapons?

I've said multiple times that if it's actually ADS then fuck that shit. However from the footage it didn't look like ADS. I'll wait until I see the footage, however I'm less optimistic now.

TheXbox

AR got ADS, huh?

Wow, 343 goofed. Like, slamming the cupboard door into your kitten's head on accident goof.

"We wanna make an esports game! Let's make it so that all the existing pros hate it!"

Lol

JonCha

I'd be fine if zooming in didn't slow movement speed, but it seems to in the video in which case I'm very disappointed.

Top Bottom