• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

DesertFox

As long as it can be disabled, whatever. Having automated callouts and weapon reminders strikes me as a fantastic learning tool.

And do you really think special ops types are 100% serious 100% of the time? They're acting like they're having a good time beating their buddies at wargames. That seems... pretty much entirely in line with what I would expect. Not everything has to be all po-faced.

I guess I just liked the emotion-less chief way better than the character they're establishing with the Spartan IV's.

I suppose it makes sense to the canon that the new volunteer based Spartans act different than John who was conscripted. #shrug

willow ve

As long as it can be disabled, whatever. Having automated callouts and weapon reminders strikes me as a fantastic learning tool.

And do you really think special ops types are 100% serious 100% of the time? They're acting like they're having a good time beating their buddies at wargames. That seems... pretty much entirely in line with what I would expect. Not everything has to be all po-faced.

"You won't even notice it after 3 games"

I guess I just liked the emotion-less chief way better than the character they're establishing with the Spartan IV's.

I suppose it makes sense to the canon that the new volunteer based Spartans act different than John who was conscripted. #shrug

From a lore standpoint, I actually really love the contrast. John (and by extension, the rest of the IIs) are going to be deeply, deeply fucked up psychologically. Having the IVs as comparison really brings that out, makes it into a more relevant theme.

"You won't even notice it after 3 games"

"Because you'll have turned it off," is what I'm saying. Useful for new players, nonexistent for experienced ones.

Hopefully.

CyReN

x-post

Any idea how to remove this notification for movies? Been to extra numerous times and always pops up

4b1bd86c486612c44193bd3708b96908.png

So, I've been thinking about the Halo 5 beta, and I think it'd be useful (and fun!) to try and lay out a clear picture of what we want from a Halo game beforehand. There's a tendency to conflate general principles with the way those principles have been executed in the past, i.e. "Map control is important, therefore everything related to map control must be EXACTLY THE SAME AS [insert favorite game here.]" Paring that stuff out seems like it'd be very helpful for directing feedback

Also, whatever we put together should only be about what we want, NOT what we don't want. Effect should follow cause; the argument "map control should be extremely important in Halo, therefore we can't have ordinance drops/killstreaks" is much more compelling than "I hate/dislike/can't stand/projectile vomit at the sight of ordinance/killstreaks since it means map control becomes unimportant." Both statements are true, but one is much more likely to get taken seriously.

the Covenant level on Halo 3 I just tested has horrendous stutter and frame rate drops.

Hooray for terrible quality control.

You'll be happy to know(?) the opening beach is by far the worst playing section of Halo 3. The vast majority is pretty damn smooth. You pretty much picked the worst section to test, lol. Been playing through the campaign all morning, and that was a big drop from everything else.

Games needs fixing ASAP.

Can't get any Matchmaking games, Struggling to get a party together. Joining each other is a nightmare.

Game is nearly unplayable.

I dont think most of the players will disable the main features of the beta to be honest.

Apart from the obvious gameplay decisions that are the wrong direction to take (sprint, ledge-grab, ADS, air-aim-hover <WTF) why are the Spartans acting like douche-nozzles?

The in combat dialog is juvenile and not necessary. And then the victory screen where the Spartans are high-fiving like a bunch of kids playing basketball at the local park? What the hell.... these are supposed to be highly disciplined special ops super soldiers, why are they acting like tools?

Gotta aim for that exhausted fanbase hard since AW have some really crazy movement tactics.

Source

Almost an hour of searching and I still have yet to get Into a match. I've tried H2A and H2 classic. This is some frustrating stuff right here.

I dont think most of the players will disable the main features of the beta to be honest.

Gotta aim for that exhausted fanbase hard since AW have some really crazy movement tactics.

Eh, I dunno if I'd call it a "main feature."

Is it me or is the reticule in H5 in the center vs. being slightly off center like the other Halo's?:

if so thank gowad

Seems to be the case, yeah. Finally back in the middle :D

You'll be happy to know(?) the opening beach is by far the worst playing section of Halo 3. The vast majority is pretty damn smooth. You pretty much picked the worst section to test, lol. Been playing through the campaign all morning, and that was a big drop from everything else.

wow just like me to pick the wrong level thanks for the info man

Installation is painfully slow. Based on impressions, I'll probably stick to dabbling in the campaigns until the multiplayer side of things is sorted.

Installation is painfully slow. Based on impressions, I'll probably stick to dabbling with the campaigns until the multiplayer side of things is sorted.

If download, or installation slow, try this

Settings-Network-Advanced Settings-DNS Settings-Manual.

Primary DNS:

Secodary DNS:

Restart Xbox One

willow ve

"Because you'll have turned it off," is what I'm saying. Useful for new players, nonexistent for experienced ones.

Hopefully.

Yeah, hopefully. We all asked for a toggle to turn off the white text in Halo 4. The reply we got was "you won't even notice it after 3 games"

Hopefully they have the dev time to put toggles on items. If they can then it can be turned off via gametypes and not require a title update. So we could get the flag text CAPTURE and DEFEND removed from matchmaking in a flip of a switch and not a large code changing download.

Onikaan

Matchmaking almost worked. Until it had to load the map, then it died.

Gonna come away from it for a while.

Annoyed. (Just a bit)

Madness

Can't find any games in Matchmaking still. Why do I pay for Gold?

Forget matchmaking, even party and joining friends is down, can't even get a customs match going. Don't see anyone in roster, etc. And if party leader backs out of searching, you are left behind and have to rejoin.

VinFTW

Just played my first match, got into a game no problem, no lag whatsoever.

Was 3v3 BRs on Lockdown in H2A.

Holy hell it feels fucking amazing. Way better than I ever thought it would.

Between MCC launching with a 15gb "patch" for multiplayer that doesn't even fuckin work, and Assassin's Creed Unity combination of pre-order bonues, macrotranscations, graphic parity, awful performance, and release date embargo on reviews, I'm feeling very good about AAA video games today.

RoKKeR

Yeah I am pretty disappointed that MCC has launched in the condition it has... it's bringing unnecessary amounts of hate towards otherwise is an amazing package. Let's hope they sort things out fast.

Also, any 60fps footage of Halo 5 anywhere?

Between MCC launching with a 15gb "patch" for multiplayer that doesn't even fuckin work, and Assassin's Creed Unity combination of pre-order bonues, macrotranscations, graphic parity, awful performance, and release date embargo on reviews, I'm feeling very good about AAA video games today.

Play some Sunset Overdrive, you'll feel better.

Thanks for this.

GT is il DiavoloV. It'll be great playing with a bunch of HaloGAFers.

Mix

lol I just realized that my tag isn't in here lol

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I ran Mix's gamertag list through excel and generated NeoGAF format links to each persons gamertags with their NeoGAF name

Click each username to go to their xbox live website where you can quickly add them to your friendslist.

Need people to play with? Add each other and maybe send eachother a quick message.

Wow. A fucking plus. Thank you!

Just got donged and shown how rusty and god awful I am at Halo now. Practice is neeeeeeded.

RoKKeR

Ok, catching up with some of the Halo 5 stuff I like a lot of what I see.

Like:
Almost all of the new spartan abilities, except for Sprint and Ground Pound.
Ground pound should absolutely not be a one hit kill. Make the AOE larger and have it EMP shields, but no insta-kill
Smart Scope doesn't seem all that necessary... good
Gameplay looks fast, frantic, yet tactical and competitive. Good
Visuals look ace, hope the final resolution is 900p
Weapon sounds are solid too.

Dislike:
The sounds. WAY too much going on. Hit marker bleep has to go. Kill bleep has to go. The headshot "thunk"/"ket-plunk" sounds like it's out of fuckin' PvZ Garden Warfare, get that shit out of here!
Steitzer... holy shit man, calm the hell down! Sounds like the dude is about to have an aneurism or something. The thing that makes his voice so awesome in 1/2/3 is sort of the understated but growling/badass feel... now he just feels like he's way to excited for his own good. Rerecord!
Spartan chatter.... meh, not sold. That's the point of team communication
DMR. Come on now... it's been proven redundant in Halo 4, I am so sick of this weapon.
Reused assets? Sniper looks the same, Spartans look the same... hopefully this is an old build

Anyways, coming away much more positive than I did before. Can't wait to try out the beta.

Obscured

I guess I'll do some more campaign. As much as it sucks I can't get into games I kind of feel worse for whoever is at 343 dealing with this. That stress is no fun, this next beer is for them.

Top Bottom