• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

so apparently you can level up your rank in custom games?

• Have your party leader search H2A Ranked
  • Have party leader back out while you stay on the searching screen
  • Have old party leader create a custom game and invite you
  • Join custom game
  • Party leader set kill score limit to 1
  • Kill party leader
  • Watch your rank go up
  • Repeat until x rank (takes longer to rank up the higher the skill gap between the players)

lol

stolen from reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2lyo3c/mcc_how_to_rank_up_highest_skill_in_customs/

jem0208

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...on/e024f78f-6022-4a49-99ea-67562ec5b4ca/posts

Support thread for matchmaking...

Matchmaking:
We are aware of the issues players have been experiencing with matchmaking and we’re working around the clock, alongside the Xbox Live team, to improve the situation. We have deployed an update that has shown some improvement, and we continue to optimize the experience. The update deployed to matchmaking was done on the server side and does not require an extra download to your Xbox One. This is our top priority and will keep everyone updated regularly as we deploy continued improvements.

Game Installation:
We know many of you are excited to play Halo: The Master Chief Collection. The best way to make sure you’ve downloaded the required updates to play at launch is to turn on Background Downloads with your Xbox One connected to the internet.
The base download for the game is about 45 GB and the day one update’s size varies depending on your region, but is generally somewhere between 15-20 GB.

Nothing new really.

Kibbles

H2A co-op actually seemed to work real well. Granted I'm playing with a friend who is 45mim away from me but I feel like it would've acted up before.

Obscured

Out of the two game I have played so far online, both were really smooth with no noticeable lag.

That is great to hear, hopefully I'll be able to experience for myself soon. Right now I'm soothing the pain with streams. I'm going to be so bad to start off with, really happy for the universal bumper jumper, that will help some.

Only complaint I have so far (other than the rough launch) is that I'm not a fan of the forge building block and structure style (I wish they had multiple style palettes as well as colors), but having mirrored options of the asymmetric objects is cool, so it is a wash.

Nowise10

Is it hard to breathe on that high horse?

He isn't wrong. This game isn't polished.
Matchmaking being down on the first day is a bummer, but it happens to alot of games. Im hoping It is fixed by tomorrow or tonight.

However, between the Active Roster not working, not being able to join games in progress in any game (custom games), "you won 1th" appearing at the ending of matches, checkpoints being deleted, the game crashing, lack of a serious amount of custom game options, emblems not working, Halo 3 Sandbox lighting be weird, and other stuff, that appears to be small, but continues to add up.

But I played Halo;CE custom games and Halo 2 custom games with friends this morning at like 4:00 AM and it was a blast, so all I can hope is they patch out these issues in the coming days and weeks.

I can't believe Frankie took to Twitter to complain about me back when I said that certain things in the Master Chief Collection struck me as being sloppy. Now that we've all gotten our copies and see just how buggy it is, I think sloppy is a pretty damn accurate word for what's been released.

Even discounting the fact that matchmaking is completely and utterly broken, there's an absolutely ridiculous amount of bugs and issues throughout the whole thing.

HaloGAF, am I out of line here? Or is "sloppy" a perfectly reasonable descriptor of a hugely-hyped AAA title that has been delivered broken to customers, even after a mandatory 15GB patch?

Would have to see the post in question. If you were bitching about something unrelated and turned out to be kinda correct about something else, then no.

Also, this is in seriously poor taste.

VinFTW

Matchmaking being down on the first day is a bummer, but it happens to alot of games. Im hoping It is fixed by tomorrow or tonight.

However, between the Active Roster not working, not being able to join games in progress in any game (custom games), "you won 1th" appearing at the ending of matches, checkpoints being deleted, the game crashing, lack of a serious amount of custom game options, emblems not working, Halo 3 Sandbox lighting be weird, and other stuff, that appears to be small, but continues to add up.

But I played Halo;CE custom games and Halo 2 custom games with friends this morning at like 4:00 AM and it was a blast, so all I can hope is they patch out these issues in the coming days and weeks.
You have to remember these are a lot of bugs for one game.. but this is like 4 1/2 games in one.

Yeah its frustrating but I'm sure they will iron it out soon.

Dub117

Lol you won 1th! Coding error fa sho.

MouldyK

Don't forget they have not patched Halo 4 out yet...and are even giving it an expansion in Spartan Ops!

I secretly like Halo 4, but I love making jokes about it.

205620-carz_2008_07_22_12_34_26_82.jpg

Impala26

I can't believe Frankie took to Twitter to complain about me back when I said that certain things in the Master Chief Collection struck me as being sloppy. Now that we've all gotten our copies and see just how buggy it is, I think sloppy is a pretty damn accurate word for what's been released.

Even discounting the fact that matchmaking is completely and utterly broken, there's an absolutely ridiculous amount of bugs and issues throughout the whole thing.

HaloGAF, am I out of line here? Or is "sloppy" a perfectly reasonable descriptor of a hugely-hyped AAA title that has been delivered broken to customers, even after a mandatory 15GB patch?

Welp, I think it's the exact OPPOSITE problem compared to Destiny at least. Destiny had a great presentation and a great launch, but mere weeks later people were discovering how bereft of content it was. MCC has had a pretty bad launch with nearly non-functional matchmaking, broken party system and other bugs. However, MCC is absolutely PACKING the content; there's no denying that. These bugs can be fixed or patched, but content? Not so much.

My suggestion is enjoy the campaigns and GAF custom games... and while you're at it, why not go for some of those fairly straightforward achievements in the process.

dwells

Would have to see the post in question. If you were bitching about something unrelated and turned out to be kinda correct about something else, then no.

Also, this is in seriously poor taste.

Is it, though? I'm defending a statement I made a while back on GAF for which I was publicly called out on Twitter. My statement was in regards to the various little issues (font scaling in Halo 3 being an example) and how those types of oversights can make the finished product appear sloppy.

It now turns out that there's many of those little problems and oversights, many moderate issues, and then there's also some game-breaking issues as well. This is the only time I've ever played a AAA title and had it actually hard crash twice within a couple hours of playing it.

You have to remember these are a lot of bugs for one game.. but this is like 4 1/2 games in one.

Yeah its frustrating but I'm sure they will iron it out soon.
It's a lot of content, I won't argue with that. But if you're going to take on that much content, it's important to make sure that it can all be handled properly and with a consistent level of quality.

The game shouldn't have been released in the state that it's in. I don't think that it's debatable to say that it's unreasonable for a product to be delivered broken to customers.

100% assassinations are in. You can see them in Rooster Teeth's video.

brb digging previous pages....

Assassinatios are still there, good, the bad thing the assassinations are the same from Halo 4, maybe a place holder?.

The thing that worries me is the ADS feature will be there so stay in next Halos

VinFTW

Is it, though? I'm defending a statement I made a while back on GAF for which I was publicly called out on Twitter. My statement was in regards to the various little issues (font scaling in Halo 3 being an example) and how those types of oversights can make the finished product appear sloppy.

It now turns out that there's many of those little problems and oversights, many moderate issues, and then there's also some game-breaking issues as well. This is the only time I've ever played a AAA title and had it actually hard crash twice within a couple hours of playing it.

It's a lot of content, I won't argue with that. But if you're going to take on that much content, it's important to make sure that it can all be handled properly and with a consistent level of quality.

The game shouldn't have been released in the state that it's in. I don't think that it's debatable to say that it's unreasonable for a product to be delivered broken to customers.

You keep saying "broken". While it's having issues right now, sure, it's not completely broken.

Most games have server issues at launch, give it some time, it's a demanding day.

As for bugs? I'm sure they will work on 'em.

Welfare

Assassinatios are still there, good, the bad thing the assassinations are the same from Halo 4, maybe a place holder?.

The thing that worries me is the ADS feature will be there so stay in next Halos

ADS is here to stay. If fucking sprint isn't leaving, the "Smart Scope" won't either.

RowdyReverb

Is anyone playing customs right now? I'm desperate to play a match. Finally got in one and it froze within 30 seconds. If you are, invite RowdyReverb please

Homeboyd

Just started the dl, moving along pretty quickly.. my question is; on a scale of 1 (very likely) to infinity tu beta squad ZB slayer (not at all likely), once downloaded, what chance do I have that I'll get to play a single game of MM today?

singhr1

My earlier buds taking a break, if anyone up for customs send me an invite

GT: SwathingLeopard

Just started the dl, moving along pretty quickly.. my question is; on a scale of 1 (very likely) to infinity tu beta squad ZB slayer (not at all likely), once downloaded, what chance do I have that I'll get to play a single game of MM today?

You'll find a game once in a while. I've gotten 1 BTB and 2 H2A games in the past hour...

Source

I've been waiting for around 10 minutes ( H2A playlist) and only four of us are in the lobby.

I was sort of sad that I'm at work today and won't even get to begin installing my copy until later tonight, but now it seems like it might be more of a blessing. I'll install and download updates tonight and hopefully by tomorrow night the matchmaking will be better.

Seems like there are a huge amount of bugs in addition to that, though. Saw a long list of terror on Reddit. Not being able to join in-progress custom games seems like a huge one.

The armor is straight up ripped from Halo 4 (it's the 'Recruit' armor) so the animation probably is too. Probably (hopefully) placeholder.

dwells

I think it's actually "negative oneth." That would explain the "th" label instead "st" for first - the code's else condition is to use a "th" suffix, and a position of -1 is going to fall into the else category and get the "th" suffix.

Welp, I think it's the exact OPPOSITE problem compared to Destiny at least. Destiny had a great presentation and a great launch, but mere weeks later people were discovering how bereft of content it was. MCC has had a pretty bad launch with nearly non-functional matchmaking, broken party system and other bugs. However, MCC is absolutely PACKING the content; there's no denying that. These bugs can be fixed or patched, but content? Not so much.

My suggestion is enjoy the campaigns and GAF custom games... and while you're at it, why not go for some of those fairly straightforward achievements in the process.

The bugs and crashes will likely be fixed. But I'm guessing that there's going to be a lot of things that will never be fixed and won't be considered worth fixing. Namely:

• Performance/frame rate issues
  • Text and HUD scaling
  • Lack of anisotropic filtering
  • Zero anti-aliasing in Halo CE classic
  • LOD and pop-in still being at their overly aggressive Xbox 360 settings
  • Long loading screens

It's really disappointing that Halo CE classic looks and performs substantially worse in a 2014 release for a next gen console than it does in the 2003 PC port running on ten year old hardware. This is the fourth time Halo CE has been released (Xbox, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One) - this type of thing should be straightened out by now.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong and see all these things fixed. But it would certainly be very unusual for a title to have a patch to address graphical settings, especially given that the big 15GB patch has already happened.

I'm totally on board with their assessment on climbing stuff and the movement speed being slow. I long for the floaty physics to return as well. However, I do not understand the love for iron sights. I don't need to see the scope of the gun. It's such a needless addition. It's like visual candy at the cost of functionality. Not to beat a dead horse, I understand it's not the end of the world. But it makes less sense to have in a halo game where combat is deeper than the CoD whoever starts shooting first wins and a player is dead in literally a fraction of a second. Halo is known more for actual duels and trying to do that with iron sights totally gets in the way.

This is a great post and explains perfectly how this changes the entire game.

ElRenoRaven

No I'd say you're spot on. There is absolutely no reason this game should have released as broken as this one is. None at all.

Trey

I would be completely on board if sprint and this goofy smart scope was out. Increase movement speed, strafing speed, jump acceleration, keep thruster and ground pound, I'm ambivalent to ledge grabbing at the moment.

Actually, I would be okay with smart scope if your gun didn't block half the view.

dwells

You keep saying "broken". While it's having issues right now, sure, it's not completely broken.

Most games have server issues at launch, give it some time, it's a demanding day.

As for bugs? I'm sure they will work on 'em.

Is broken not the right word? Matchmaking flat out doesn't work much of the time, and when it does, parties get split up, teams are uneven, player counts are wrong, etc. Many people, including myself, are experiencing freezes and crashes. Single player is affected as well, with all sorts of save and progress issues, and crashing happens there as well.

Other games do have launch issues, yes, but it's not acceptable then either.

The bugs are pervasive and common enough that there's no way that they weren't well aware of them already, and that's a lot of what bothers me. The fairly common developer/publisher attitude of "just release it, fix it later and they can deal with it in the meantime" is really unfortunate.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I havent been able to keep up with the thread, swamped at work, but i get off in a few hours and was eager to play matchmaking... Am i going to be disappointed whe i get home this evening? All day long ive been anxiously awaiting to play and now im heari g matachmaking is broke??

jem0208

Is broken not the right word? Matchmaking flat out doesn't work much of the time, and when it does, parties get split up, teams are uneven, player counts are wrong, etc. Many people, including myself, are experiencing freezes and crashes. Single player is affected as well, with all sorts of save and progress issues, and crashing happens there as well.

Other games do have launch issues, yes, but it's not acceptable then either.

The bugs are pervasive and common enough that there's no way that they weren't well aware of them already, and that's a lot of what bothers me. The fairly common developer/publisher attitude of "just release it, fix it later and they can deal with it in the meantime" is really unfortunate.

I have to admit, matchmaking is definitely broken. Campaign has been 100% perfect for me though.

But I'm glad they released it now. I'd rather play campaign and Forge whilst waiting for matchmaking to be fixed than waiting for matchmaking to be fixed without being able to play anything. As long as they do fix it I'm happy.

DesertFox

Rooster Teeth's "The Know" Halo 5 Guardians Beta Hands-On

In case folks missed it. Looks like a new Halo game to me... :)

EDIT: Anyone know how to embed?

*is n00b*

Apart from the obvious gameplay decisions that are the wrong direction to take (sprint, ledge-grab, ADS, air-aim-hover <WTF) why are the Spartans acting like douche-nozzles?

The in combat dialog is juvenile and not necessary. And then the victory screen where the Spartans are high-fiving like a bunch of kids playing basketball at the local park? What the hell.... these are supposed to be highly disciplined special ops super soldiers, why are they acting like tools?

Source

I havent been able to keep up with the thread, swamped at work, but i get off in a few hours and was eager to play matchmaking... Am i going to be disappointed whe i get home this evening? All day long ive been anxiously awaiting to play and now im heari g matachmaking is broke??

~ 20 minutes of waiting in the H2A playlist has yet to get me into a match.

Apart from the obvious gameplay decisions that are the wrong direction to take (sprint, ledge-grab, ADS, air-aim-hover <WTF) why are the Spartans acting like douche-nozzles?

The in combat dialog is juvenile and not necessary. And then the victory screen where the Spartans are high-fiving like a bunch of kids playing basketball at the local park? What the hell.... these are supposed to be highly disciplined special ops super soldiers, why are they acting like tools?

As long as it can be disabled, whatever. Having automated callouts and weapon reminders strikes me as a fantastic learning tool.

And do you really think special ops types are 100% serious 100% of the time? They're acting like they're having a good time beating their buddies at wargames. That seems... pretty much entirely in line with what I would expect. Not everything has to be all po-faced.

I have to admit, matchmaking is definitely broken. Campaign has been 100% perfect for me though.

But I'm glad they released it now. I'd rather play campaign and Forge whilst waiting for matchmaking to be fixed than waiting for matchmaking to be fixed without being able to play anything. As long as they do fix it I'm happy.

Don't know how people aren't bothered by all the texture pop in, framerate issues and stuttering.

Top Bottom