• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

willow ve

I thought Swat and some other game modes had different health anyway?

One shot to kill (SWAT) is a known quantity and is easily understood by a player.

4SK BR v 3SK BR in similar game modes (slayer v breakout) is a much more slippery concept to grasp and leaves players frustrated that guns don't perform the same way throughout the game. (See Reach where there were like 4 different games within the game)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Looks okay in Slayer, bit low in Breakout but that might be by design. Sorta like SWAT, I guess.

Nah, AR and SMG at range are shredding people leaving little to no escape vector

That footage with gus is especially important because he isn't very good at these games

People are being downed way too quick

The Verge has a review up of their Halo 5 playtime

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/11/7186255/halo-5-guardians-preview

Interesting bits
I'm totally on board with their assessment on climbing stuff and the movement speed being slow. I long for the floaty physics to return as well. However, I do not understand the love for iron sights. I don't need to see the scope of the gun. It's such a needless addition. It's like visual candy at the cost of functionality. Not to beat a dead horse, I understand it's not the end of the world. But it makes less sense to have in a halo game where combat is deeper than the CoD whoever starts shooting first wins and a player is dead in literally a fraction of a second. Halo is known more for actual duels and trying to do that with iron sights totally gets in the way.

jem0208

Ugh, the lack of matchmaking is so annoying!

Get your shit together 343!

Edit: Found a match! 3 vs 4 though in a 5 v 5 playlist... :/

Nope, 2 vs 5. Wtf.

Played two matchmade games. First one disconnected in the initial loading screen. Second was a 3v3 on shrine. I get a guy and his guest [IN A RANKED PLAYLIST] and they get destroyed. Game finishes and it crashes in the post game loading screen.

#WeBack

Edit: Anyone know how to view a full match report on waypoint? All I can see is a rudimentary game history that shows my stats from the match but nobody elses.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Played two matchmade games. First one disconnected in the initial loading screen. Second was a 3v3 on shrine. I get a guy and his guest [IN A RANKED PLAYLIST] and they get destroyed. Game finishes and it crashes in the post game loading screen.

#WeBack

it's better than some other people

i've heard some people get matched into a game of forge

BigShow36

Hit detection on CE is kind of whack, but I'm still having more fun than I have had with a game in a long, long time. Haven't played a MM game yet because I've been playing customs and I can't find any games when I do search.

Hopefully they will clean up the hit detection issues, but I'm still amazed at how good it feels.

belushy

Banned
So Crossfire is a forge map.

cLD4ql2.png

Sordid

In the only match I've managed to find I got Team Slayer in Halo 3 on Assembly. Was 4v3 and 2 people quit so it was 4v1 until the timer ran out. T'was great fun! When I checked my medals post game it showed the Halo 4 ones :/ everything feels so half-assed in this collection, it's a shame.

CE:A's campaign performance is horrendous too, I'm playing through on classic unless I'm in an area with a skull/terminal. At least H2A runs better (right?)

belushy

Banned
That's a nice looking Forge map

That is a seriously cool looking forge map.

Oh damn...

Now if only we could get some folks to make a Forged one in vogue of Hang 'em High with its asymmetry and verticality it would be GOAT map for H5.

Ya, hopefully this means Forge has some damn colour in it!

Honestly I don't want another "block building" forge over a true map maker, but I'd perfectly fine with it if those are the kind of detail the forge pieces get in Halo 5. Colors look great.

No sprint, no ADS, better FoV (80+ pls), faster base movement speed/strafe, smaller gun models. Aim Assist on Rifle type weapons that is closer to Halo CE's aim assist mechanics, so I don't have to zoom all the fucking time. No Ground pound, charge, slide, clambering on ledges, thrusters don't disable your gun temporarily and can be used to slightly boost jump. Crouch jumping to clear obstacles and make jumps, as well as allowing you to apply it to your strafe and mid fight evasion tactics. No lunge on melees, screen shouldn't be so busy with information and clutter.

Probably more, but that's all for now.

Ah, so you mean you want it to be like Halo. I get it now, issue is the developers are intentionally making it NOT like Halo.

Obscured

For anyone that has gotten into games, how is the lag? Went through the first level of each campaign and a bit of forge, but haven't jumped into MP yet. Can't believe how good it all looks. I had played some Halo 3 on the 360 earlier to have a point of comparison and it is amazing how much better it looks on the XB1.

I should get to work, but I think I might need to get some games in first.

MouldyK

You know those "Be careful what you wish for"? I have one:

Want to find a BTB game to play my first Halo MCC finally...

...It's Halo 4.

btags

For anyone that has gotten into games, how is the lag? Went through the first level of each campaign and a bit of forge, but haven't jumped into MP yet. Can't believe how good it all looks. I had played some Halo 3 on the 360 earlier to have a point of comparison and it is amazing how much better it looks on the XB1.

I should get to work, but I think I might need to get some games in first.

Out of the two game I have played so far online, both were really smooth with no noticeable lag.

Lots of positivity in here this morning I'm happy to see! I thought the Halo 5 beta looked really good. If anyone has a link to the pro match from last night, I'd be grateful.

In other news, attended the London launch event last night.

We had pulled together a little surprise for one of or friends, who's had a rough couple of years. He's got a couple of kids, and the whole family are a bunch of Halo fanatics. This is the first time they didn't have an Xbox due to money issues, so we all chipped in and bought him the console, an extra pad so he can co-op with his youngest, a years Gold subscription and a copy of the game.

We spoke to the MS PR Team before he turned up, and Acey Bongos (UK Major Nelson) and the rest of the team pulled out all the stops, allowing us to make a big announcement. It was a great night, and it was just a very cool thing to do.

Kleggnutt gets a surprise!

Also, I'm short, and The Chief is tall. And Phil Spencer is a pretty cool guy. :)
This is beautiful.

dwells

I can't believe Frankie took to Twitter to complain about me back when I said that certain things in the Master Chief Collection struck me as being sloppy. Now that we've all gotten our copies and see just how buggy it is, I think sloppy is a pretty damn accurate word for what's been released.

Even discounting the fact that matchmaking is completely and utterly broken, there's an absolutely ridiculous amount of bugs and issues throughout the whole thing.

HaloGAF, am I out of line here? Or is "sloppy" a perfectly reasonable descriptor of a hugely-hyped AAA title that has been delivered broken to customers, even after a mandatory 15GB patch?

I can't believe Frankie took to Twitter to complain about me back when I said that certain things in the Master Chief Collection struck me as being sloppy. Now that we've all gotten our copies and see just how buggy it is, I think sloppy is a pretty damn accurate word for what's been released.

Even discounting the fact that matchmaking is completely and utterly broken, there's an absolutely ridiculous amount of bugs and issues throughout the whole thing.

HaloGAF, am I out of line here? Or is "sloppy" a perfectly reasonable descriptor of a hugely-hyped AAA title that has been delivered broken to customers, even after a mandatory 15GB patch?
Is it hard to breathe on that high horse?

Top Bottom