• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

RowdyReverb

Just got the to library. Paused the game to go to the bathroom. Came back to see that it was at the main campaign menu and gives me the option to resume playing Pillar of Autumn.
6 hours of progress gone.

Good thing they have everything open from the start.

Does it still say you completed the levels up until that point? I had something similar happen on H2, but it still said the correct number of missions were completed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lmao frank hasn't even logged into gaf since last night
XaXk4pF.png
Dude's been busy.

Overdoziz

Banned
I played 5 seconds of the Library, saved and quit and when I tried to resume it said I completed it on Legendary and just put me at the beginning of Two Betrayals.
fightmoney.png

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Does it still say you completed the levels up until that point? I had something similar happen on H2, but it still said the correct number of missions were completed.

Yes it did show that we have completed 7 levels so that's good and we were lucky that we had just finished a level so we didn't lose a mid-level checkpoint or anything. But pretty crappy to have that happen.
There must be a ton of issues within this game. Game save data is a pretty basic feature.

VinFTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhA1kGWsHnM

This video makes me very happy.

Sorry, but it looks like a great evolution of Halo while still "looking" like Halo.

Guy barely touched sprint or smart-scope.

Here's hoping they nerf thrusters though.

Warning, it's in spanish.

Also, here's an amazing AMA from Lethul (BtH captain?) on Team Beyond about Halo 5:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.p...-more-qna-youve-got-questions-i-have-answers/

Has me seriously hyped. Definitely some things to tweak and balance, like he said, but I think #weback

once MCC works for you guys, been working fine for me doe <3

Ominym

Banned
I'm finding it really hard to believe they didn't know about all these catastrophic issues before launch.

Yeah, like when the game launched in New Zealand the night before and everyone assumed the times were taking so long because the player base was low?

They at the very least had an inkling that something was about to happen.

Booshka

Sorry, but it looks like a great evolution of Halo while still "looking" like Halo.

Also, here's an amazing AMA from Lethul (BtH captain?) on Team Beyond about Halo 5:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.p...-more-qna-youve-got-questions-i-have-answers/

Has me seriously hyped. Definitely some things to tweak and balance, like he said, but I think #weback

Watched that first video too, just doesn't look very fun to me, that AR looks way too easy to use as well. I watch it and think "Halo 4 sequel" more than anything.

We'll see, lot to see and critique for the beta, core game that they made doesn't really impress me though.

Madness

The ledge grabbing irritates me the most. Even over the ADS and the new movement abilities. Like when that guy is missing the jump as the guy is shooting him from above, on the third try, he just ledge grabs himself in and kills him etc.

blamite

Hmm, FOV looks pretty bad. Reminds me of Halo 3. Also why does the gun take up so much of the screen? H4 actually pretty much nailed that stuff, so I hope it'll change in the year (woah!) between now and launch.

TheXbox

Sounds better than H4 but so does everything. I can't wrap my mind around every single weapon having scope. Just... why? Holmes said if people feel they have to use ADS to be competitive then they've broken the game, but I can't imagine people doing it any other way with AR starts, unless you're at super close range.

And just seeing the SMG and AR zoomed in all the time while the person playing is holding the left trigger... It doesn't sit right with me. Maybe that's petty, but, I don't know, it's just super gross to me. That's not Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finding it really hard to believe they didn't know about all these catastrophic issues before launch.
I have no clue. Shit happens. I imagine it'll be fine in a few days, or weeks at the worst.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
My friends and I played HCE customs tonight, and wow...incredible. These friends I met over XBL long ago and we will probably never meet in real life, so the fact that we're able to play HCE together on XBL just makes it amazing.

At this point, I couldn't care less about Halo 5, HCE is here available on XBL any time we want.

dwells

Your primary reason for buying the game changes everyday.
I think it's been pretty clear from the beginning the reason I was buying the collection was of the ability to play H2 and H1 multiplayer online and properly (yes, that includes functioning dedicated servers).

But hey, keep hating on me rather than acknowledging that 343i shipped a broken game that doesn't deliver on its promises if it makes you feel better.

RowdyReverb

I agree. It's what I would expect a "next-gen" Halo game to look like. The core game is still obvious and the changes don't appear to detract from Halo-style gameplay. Also noticed that power weapons float and rotate on their spawn. They're really going for the arena shooter feel, aren't they?

Madness

I have no clue. Shit happens. I imagine it'll be fine in a few days, or weeks at the worst.

If this is broken for a few weeks, might as well pack it in. Launch day, launch week, and launch month are paramount. You screw those up and the whole game is basically dead for the year. Very few recover.

Booshka

If this is broken for a few weeks, might as well pack it in. Launch day, launch week, and launch month are paramount. You screw those up and the whole game is basically dead for the year. Very few recover.

Pretty confident to have a Beta for your next game 2 months after the launch of this one. Imagine if there are still major problems with MCC and they try to push out the H5 Beta? Wouldn't look good, delaying the Beta would only detract from its benefit from being available so early, so they better fix MCC quickly.

Blueblur1

He says he wasn't using sprint until his third match because of the controllers they had him use. He also isn't fully aware of the game details. They probably didn't have a great Spanish speaking rep (if any) at that LA event.

I gotta say that I'm most worried about thruster and sprint. Thruster should be completely neutered to the point where it's more in line with the H4 implementation, IMO. The current 4 second cool down and its effectiveness seems like it will make strafing pointless when players can possibly use it to escape battles and certain death. If it can be abused, it will be abused.

Unlimited sprint seems like a bad idea based on past games and you can plainly see in the above video that sprint is currently pretty fast. If anything they should be keeping sprint the same and restricting it with the shield recharging mechanic. In my opinion, they're really doubling down on sprint instead of doing the opposite. I'd love to be wrong though. I'm going to keep an eye out for these concerns during the beta; most likely I will try to play it without using those abilities to see how I fair.

That and I will lay off smart scope.

willow ve

Pretty confident to have a Beta for your next game 2 months after the launch of this one. Imagine if there are still major problems with MCC and they try to push out the H5 Beta? Wouldn't look good, delaying the Beta would only detract from its benefit from being available so early, so they better fix MCC quickly.
Imagine they push out the beta and it doesn't have matchmaking.

VinFTW

He says he wasn't using sprint until his third match because of the controllers they had him use. He also isn't fully aware of the game details. They probably didn't have a great Spanish speaking rep (if any) at that LA event.

I gotta say that I'm most worried about thruster and sprint. Thruster should be completely neutered to the point where it's more in line with the H4 implementation, IMO. The current 4 second cool down and its effectiveness seems like it will make strafing pointless when players can possibly use it to escape battles and certain death. If it can be abused, it will be abused.

Unlimited sprint seems like a bad idea based on past games and you can plainly see in the above video that sprint is currently pretty fast. If anything they should be keeping sprint the same and restricting it with the shield recharging mechanic. In my opinion, they're really doubling down on sprint instead of doing the opposite. I'd love to be wrong though. I'm going to keep an eye out for these concerns during the beta; most likely I will try to play it with using those abilities to see how I fair.

That and I will lay off smart scope.

Thanks for the translation man!

I do agree sprint is currently too fast and base movement speed is a bit too slow. Increasing movement speed while keeping sprint is okay for me.

I also agree thruster is a bit too OP. It will be interesting to see what kind of suggestions they will get to nerf it. As lethul said in his AMA, it replaces sprint as the "get out of jail free card" and combining it WITH sprint makes escaping still a thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If BF4 is any indication a few weeks of delay really decimates a population. I guess better than waiting around for the Turbo update.

Good points, I wasn't thinking of it from that perspective. I'll still be playing the game no matter how long it takes to get smooth, but yeah, it would suck if the game had a population dive because of the messy launch.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Are current service issues with things extended to achievements? Because I'm not unlocking any achievements at all in MCC.

It's something the team is investigating. We have folks working around the clock to get these issues sorted out.

RoKKeR

Just got all of my achievements from the past few hours or so. MM times seem to be improving but the issue I am having is getting full and even teams in games.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So uh the game is running on p2p apparently

Anyone can kick anyone as the game looks at each player as host

fucking lol

It's something the team is investigating. We have folks working around the clock to get these issues sorted out.

Good to hear. I know this whole thing can't be fun for 343, but this is actually pretty frustrating from my end lol

took the day off for this >_> Doesn't even seem to be on dedicated servers even when you get into a game 3v2 before it crashes...

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Good to hear. I know this whole thing can't be fun for 343, but this is actually pretty frustrating from my end lol

took the day off for this >_>

And you have every right to be frustrated. The team will do their best to get info and updates out there asap, I don't have much insight into specifics, but rest assured folks are working hard on it.

Finally managed to get into a game and got rekt, although the teams were unbalanced. Will take a few games to find my legs but felt really good.

VinFTW

FyreWulff

So uh the game is running on p2p apparently

Anyone can kick anyone as the game looks at each player as host

fucking lol

That wouldn't indicate P2P but rather whatever they did, they flagged everyone in the UX as host AND the games as custom games (because even if you were host in MM before, you couldn't boot), because apparently you can rank up in custom games too.

You could boot in the previous games without actually being host, you just had to be flagged as the party leader in a custom game.

Oh my, you made me click and gave a view to that guy I hate

That wouldn't indicate P2P but rather whatever they did, they flagged everyone in the UX as host AND the games as custom games (because even if you were host in MM before, you couldn't boot), because apparently you can rank up in custom games too.

You could boot in the previous games without actually being host, you just had to be flagged as the party leader in a custom game.

Thank God Fyre's here!

Pretend this is an episode of CSI and you are Gil Grissom. Halo: MCC's matchmaking is a dead stripper you just found while out jogging. Explain what is going on here to me as if I'm the dumb cop asking questions about why bugs on the body are important.

RowdyReverb

Just went +16 on Chill Out in CE on the short side of a 2v3 and had to brag. And oh god that hit marker boop is so annoying. Need to turn that off

Top Bottom