• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

jem0208

Halo 3 campaign has the best gameplay moments.

But I loved the environment set pieces and story of Halo 2. Being on those gondolas gave you a sense of scale that I haven't seen yet repeated in a Halo game. We got those open flying sections in Halo 3, Reach, and 4 but I'm talking about really selling the scale of forerunner architecture. Can't wait to see that shit in HD.

Might be in the minority here but I wish Bungie took the boss fights from Halo 2 and just approved upon them. I know a lot of the design philosophy went against boss fights but I think I woudld have liked them in a Halo game. They gave some variety. Regret boss fight was silly with the boarding and Tarturus was a dumb sponge that we had to wait for Johnson to randomly pop his shield. But I thought the fight against the heretic was fun with the hologram mechanic and how mobile he was.

Would not mind them bringing back some interesting boss like encounters in Halo 5. Just so the combat isn't just plasma pistol and headshot for days.

I loved Halo 2. It had its problems but it's still my favourite campaign of the series. I loved the gondola section where you had to jump across to the other one and jump back quickly. So many parts of the campaign are really memorable to me. Attacking the scarab in New Mombasa. Fighting the two hunters after clearing the courtyard. The first arbiter mission. It's just so awesome.

I loved grenade jumping out of the second level as well. You could basically cross the entire map and there was the hidden sword and the hidden snipers. I really hope that's still possible in the remastered version.

So many of my favourite moments of Halo 2 came from glitching out of the levels...

That's what I'm talking about. Use the Halo 3 scale when rating halo games. Halo 4 would be a 0.8

Halo 4 would be a 7.5, Reach a 6, CE an 8 and Halo 2 an 11.

So if I pre-order the digital copy and pre-load all the stuff and I get a early copy in advance, can I put the disc into the tray and it will activate the game for me? (I mean, I can only play the game when the disc in the tray) Or do I have to install all the content from the disc and re-load the 20GB Day 1 patch to play?

Booties

Banned
So if I pre-order the digital copy and pre-load all the stuff and I get a early copy in advance, can I put the disc into the tray and it will activate the game for me? (I mean, I can only play the game when the disc in the tray) Or do I have to install all the content from the disc and re-load the 20GB Day 1 patch to play?

I think you just need to install the disc content then you ought to be good to go.

willow ve

That's what I'm talking about. Use the Halo 3 scale when rating halo games. Halo 4 would be a 0.8

Halo 3 campaign still not as good as Halo CE campaign.

Also - Halo 3 4v4 on smaller maps on LAN was the GOAT. Over Xbox Live and/or on larger maps the game starts to fall apart a bit due to BR spread and bullet lag.

It's still easily the most familiar of all the older games. Played CE, 2, and 3 a few weeks ago at a LAN party and 3 just felt "right" more than the other two.

Halo 3 campaign still not as good as Halo CE campaign.

Also - Halo 3 4v4 on smaller maps on LAN was the GOAT. Over Xbox Live and/or on larger maps the game starts to fall apart a bit due to BR spread and bullet lag.

It's still easily the most familiar of all the older games. Played CE, 2, and 3 a few weeks ago at a LAN party and 3 just felt "right" more than the other two.

I wonder why you say that it felt more "right?" I played Halo 3 recently and it felt good (aside from Xbox Live issues that you mentioned), but when I go play Halo 2 it most certainly feels the best. The feedback from the BR, the look of the weapons, the default movement speed, the way the grenades bounce, the maps etc. I probably played equal amounts of both games, but Halo 2 felt the best to me. Halo 2 feels quick and lively.

Halo 3 has a certain "sluggish" quality to me. The weapon models are more pushed up into your face and the BR spread always felt a little awkward, although satisfying to master.

Sephzilla

In absolutely no way do I want to imply that Halo 3's campaign is bad, it's great and I loved it, but for whatever reason Halo 3's best moments simply reminded me of moments I liked from Halo 1. Both games have Assault on the Control Room, a level where you have to run through tons of Flood in order to get the artifact that fires the Halo ring, a Warthog finale where you have to outrun a massive explosion. I'm sure I could think of a few more examples if I wasn't also busy at work right now.

The reason I like Halo 1 a little more over 3 is because 3 feels like it leans on "remember this from the first game?" a little too much. That, and while Halo 3 has some really memorable parts to it Halo 3 also has big parts of it I kind of forget existed while Halo 1 from start to finish feels memorable to me.

ElRenoRaven

Cortana wasn't that bad of a level. The first time was torture, but as soon as I realized the needler was OP against those snipers it became a joke. Plus you can run through a lot of it.

Only part I hated was those sniper flood. Other then that I actually really loved the level. I mean you're finally getting to back track and visit a location you were before but completely floodified. Granted I'd have loved if you had actually visited previous locations in High Charity you had visited in Halo 2 but still it was pretty freaking cool.

Fuchsdh

Only part I hated was those sniper flood. Other then that I actually really loved the level. I mean you're finally getting to back track and visit a location you were before but completely floodified. Granted I'd have loved if you had actually visited previous locations in High Charity you had visited in Halo 2 but still it was pretty freaking cool.

Yeah the Pure Forms seem like the perfect evolution of the Flood, both from a fiction standpoint and trying to mix up the gameplay of the Flood, which on its own can get more repetitive much faster than Covenant or even Prometheans and Sentinels. But in practice, they made fighting the Flood more frustrating to me; when in their cowering ranged form they were near indestructible if you didn't have a Needler or a sticky, and when they were out they pinned you down easily on legendary. This gets compounded by the fact that Cortana as a level can be occasionally confusing; if they had kept more larger-scale environments from Halo 2 High Charity I think it would have felt a lot more interesting and been practically less frustrating. When everything is a fleshy tunnel it can be easy to get turned around, even though I personally really like the aesthetic of the level.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just spent some time reading the gaming side. Why did I do that.

I hate people that play games sometimes.

Booties

Banned
Cortana wasn't a bad level?

Even the bad opinion train has a seat for Booties I see.

Hey, I said it's not "that" bad.

It's bad, but it's not very hard which is the #1 complaint. Difficult just beats out the scrotal portals. Pick up needle, kill snipe, stick tank dude.

e; 2 snipes in a row. Workin on a sharpshooter medal ova' he'

Shock horror

Who would have thought a bright colourful map would look nice?

Also nice space elevator.

@Booties, alright, you're off the hook. HeckFu's train remains passenger-less for now.

Booties

Banned
@Booties, alright, you're off the hook. HeckFu's train remains passenger-less for now.

That poo train is pretty crowded right now. He said TLOU was a very bad game yesterday in HGS. Shameful.

here it is:
Yesterday at 9:54 PM - Reachfu: tlou is a bad game
Yesterday at 9:55 PM - Reachfu: if people complain that destiny is too repetitive then tlou should get the same criticism
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: i cant help that it's not fun for more than 2 hours
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: the story was engaging but i didnt enjoy the mechanics

wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong

dwells

Content patch bitching. You can seek it out and read if you enjoy blowing your brains out.

Eh, I think people kind of have a point. It sucks to buy a game and then get home only to have to wait for hours for the rest of the game to download. The whole day one patch trend kinda sucks.

I'm skipping the midnight launch due to the 20GB patch. I was hoping to pick it up, come home, play a game or two of multiplayer, be in bed by one or so and get almost six hours of sleep before work in the morning. With the patch, I'm looking at less than four hours of sleep (assuming their servers are well enough prepped to saturate my connection) and absolutely hating myself all day at work.

Sephzilla

Yeah, some of the people have a right to complain about the 20GB patch honestly. If you're on a slower connection you're kind of fucked when it comes to day one.

That poo train is pretty crowded right now. He said TLOU was a very bad game yesterday in HGS. Shameful.

here it is:
Yesterday at 9:54 PM - Reachfu: tlou is a bad game
Yesterday at 9:55 PM - Reachfu: if people complain that destiny is too repetitive then tlou should get the same criticism
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: i cant help that it's not fun for more than 2 hours
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: the story was engaging but i didnt enjoy the mechanics

wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong

Fuck man, if he wasn't handsome, I'd drop him from my friends list RIGHT NOW.

Welfare

Stonetown looks very good.

So switches can be forged. I wonder if that's scripting, or that forge piece is only for the gate.

i actually still remember the H2 E3 launch with zanzibar being shown haha

the new map and its changes are looking good imo, and man its so smooth and no screen tearing, just awesome
i also like how they opened up the base, not a big fan of halo close quater random junk so seeing how open it is now is a big plus for me
skybox once again really suits the ambience imo

dwells

I see Frankie posting in the content patch thread - so his break until the 12th was just form this thread, the official Halo community thread? Ouch.

Top Bottom