• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Use the middle part of your finger rather than the tip. It feels fine to me.

Yea you have to learn how to use them. You don't use them like the old ones. you have to use the base of your finger. They work really well then. Having played a ton of Destiny on Xbone lately it's taken me a long while to get used to that.

Sure there are workarounds but it's a fundamentally bad design, distractingly so. The focus when designing a new pad should be for seamless synergy between your input and the results on the screen. I shouldn't notice anything in particular or feel resistance. When I first held the 360 pad I instantly thought it was the best designed pad thus far in gaming; perfect analog stick and trigger placement and springy reflexive bumpers that are comfortable to hit or hold. Superior to most pads I'd used with the exception of that abortion of a d-pad. Contrast that to my first use of the One pad where it immediately feels awkward and It's difficult the hold down the right bumper for more than a few seconds without slipping off of it.

If a video exists on how to use it 'correctly' and it has 36,000 views then something's wrong

Hopefully using BJ in MCC will be ok seeing as I won't be required to hold the button down but if there was the option to use the 360 pad I'd swap it back in a heartbeat.

TheOddOne

I don't have enough bodily fluids.
You will persevere.

ibhfp5rTvounQj.gif

singhr1

Sure there are workarounds but it's a fundamentally bad design, distractingly so. The focus when designing a new pad should be for seamless synergy between your input and the results on the screen. I shouldn't notice anything in particular or feel resistance. When I first held the 360 pad I instantly thought it was the best designed pad thus far in gaming; perfect analog stick and trigger placement and springy reflexive bumpers that are comfortable to hit or hold. Superior to most pads I'd used with the exception of that abortion of a d-pad. Contrast that to my first use of the One pad where it immediately feels awkward and It's difficult the hold down the right bumper for more than a few seconds without slipping off of it.

If a video exists on how to use it 'correctly' and it has 36,000 views then something's wrong

Hopefully using BJ in MCC will be ok seeing as I won't be required to hold the button down but if there was the option to use the 360 pad I'd swap it back in a heartbeat.

Its designed so you can switch between the triggers and the bumpers without picking up your finger, just slide them up. On the trigger, you are using your whole finger, not just the tips, to push down. The bumpers on the XB1 are designed similarly with the curvature to make it possible.

Anyway, I have not heard any complaints from using them during all the events this past year.

At this point, I can't go back to the 360 controller. Feels cheap and too plastic-y.. just doesn't feel as good overall.

Booties

Banned
I don't like wrestling.

Yeah, but, wrestling gifs? THE BEST!

This is the best post of the thread.

Damn right.

I prefer 2's and 4's story, but 3's mission design has yet to be topped.

2 had a good story. 3 was just a lot of fun to play. Better guns, better environments, better set pieces. I can play the ark through to the end of the game any time. Shit, I'll play the whole campaign because it's so good.

Welfare

They're going to avoid a 10/10 by using a different reviewer that's new to Halo.

But if it's Ryan again, I definitely see him giving it a perfect score.

Mix

They're going to avoid a 10/10 by using a different reviewer that's new to Halo.

But if it's Ryan again, I definitely see him giving it a perfect score.
Honest to god, I hope it's the same guy who's been doing the coverage. He's super passionate about it.

Its designed so you can switch between the triggers and the bumpers without picking up your finger, just slide them up. On the trigger, you are using your whole finger, not just the tips, to push down. The bumpers on the XB1 are designed similarly with the curvature to make it possible.

Anyway, I have not heard any complaints from using them during all the events this past year.

I googled it quickly last night and there are posts permeating every forum I cared to look on complaining about the bumpers specifically. The most current xbox one console thread on Gaf is having the controller discussion in the last 24 hours: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847211&highlight=xbox+one&page=14

The first thing my friend noticed when he bought the One were the bumpers on the pad. If it was just me saying this, fine, but it's obviously a problem for a significant number of users.

Booties

Banned
The first step I would take to make Halo 5's campaign better is to make pressing buttons less immersive.

Yeah, why is this a thing? I want to shoot buttons with my gun, or step on switches. The sync plates in destiny are a thing I like. But I mostly want to shoot stuff like those cores in Two Betrayals.

e; wait, that's not what you do to them. Anyway, there are lots of examples of things you shoot to "break" or whatever in Halo that are much better than pressing a god damn button.

Sephzilla

CE was great, and a classic, but 3 was the complete package. Both are good.

I honestly think 2 would have trumped them both had it not been for the bad ending

I agree though, Halo 3 was the shit. Only things that I really didn't like in 3 were the bad
boss battle with Guilty Spark
and
Sgt Johnson going down in a very unfitting way

Tawpgun

Yeah, why is this a thing? I want to shoot buttons with my gun, or step on switches. The sync plates in destiny are a thing I like. But I mostly want to shoot stuff like those cores in Two Betrayals.

e; wait, that's not what you do to them. Anyway, there are lots of examples of things you shoot to "break" or whatever in Halo that are much better than pressing a god damn button.

Imo you should be able to use Kinect to press buttons. 10/10 game mechanic right there.

Tawpgun

Halo 3 campaign has the best gameplay moments.

But I loved the environment set pieces and story of Halo 2. Being on those gondolas gave you a sense of scale that I haven't seen yet repeated in a Halo game. We got those open flying sections in Halo 3, Reach, and 4 but I'm talking about really selling the scale of forerunner architecture. Can't wait to see that shit in HD.

Might be in the minority here but I wish Bungie took the boss fights from Halo 2 and just approved upon them. I know a lot of the design philosophy went against boss fights but I think I woudld have liked them in a Halo game. They gave some variety. Regret boss fight was silly with the boarding and Tarturus was a dumb sponge that we had to wait for Johnson to randomly pop his shield. But I thought the fight against the heretic was fun with the hologram mechanic and how mobile he was.

Would not mind them bringing back some interesting boss like encounters in Halo 5. Just so the combat isn't just plasma pistol and headshot for days.

Sephzilla

Halo 3 also had the Cortana level. Which for me replaced The Library as the worst level in Halo.

BUT Halo 3 also had Assault on the Control Room redux - which was fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sure there are workarounds but it's a fundamentally bad design, distractingly so.
It's not a workaround, though. It's how the controller is meant to be used. I understand that it might not be intuitive for a lot of people and that using 360 style bumpers would have caused less confusion, but I think they are totally functional as is. They work as designed for people who use them as designed. I found it only momentarily confusing, personally. I've been using Bumper Jumper like control schemes in both Titanfall and Destiny and I've been fine.

Its designed so you can switch between the triggers and the bumpers without picking up your finger, just slide them up.
This confuses me too, though, haha. I've heard other people say that, and I don't get how it's possible. I always raise my finger.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Halo 3 campaign has the best gameplay moments.

But I loved the environment set pieces and story of Halo 2. Being on those gondolas gave you a sense of scale that I haven't seen yet repeated in a Halo game. We got those open flying sections in Halo 3, Reach, and 4 but I'm talking about really selling the scale of forerunner architecture. Can't wait to see that shit in HD.

Might be in the minority here but I wish Bungie took the boss fights from Halo 2 and just approved upon them. I know a lot of the design philosophy went against boss fights but I think I woudld have liked them in a Halo game. They gave some variety. Regret boss fight was silly with the boarding and Tarturus was a dumb sponge that we had to wait for Johnson to randomly pop his shield. But I thought the fight against the heretic was fun with the hologram mechanic and how mobile he was.

Would not mind them bringing back some interesting boss like encounters in Halo 5. Just so the combat isn't just plasma pistol and headshot for days.

I think the Scarab in Halo 3 was a better take on bosses than anything in Halo 2. The issue with scarabs in H3 was just the lack of variety.

Booties

Banned
Cortana wasn't that bad of a level. The first time was torture, but as soon as I realized the needler was OP against those snipers it became a joke. Plus you can run through a lot of it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You're Halo 4 to me now.

Halo 3 had Tsavo Highway. This exact moment is still epic to me years later:

6200235976_1abc7ab1fb_b.jpg
I got that moment spoiled in some video preview before the game came out. Was kind of a bummer.

Sephzilla

The Covenant best Halo mission, then it is followed by the worst.

Welp, now I should ask all of HaloGAF. What do you think is the best Halo mission?

My vote would probably be Silent Cartographer, followed closely by Assault on the Control Room. Honorable mention to The Maw for that 'Hog escape

VinFTW

I really hope halo 5 is modeled most after halo 3. Br felt and sounded so good, take halo 2s mp map design, level layout from h3 campaign, make it bigger in scope... Got the goat halo.

Just want a bit faster movement speed from halo 3.

and for the love of God no sprint

tootsi666

100 % agree.

Top Bottom