• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I see Frankie posting in the content patch thread - so his break until the 12th was just form this thread, the official Halo community thread? Ouch.
He's a grown ass man and he can do what he wants.

Just like me, right now, choosing to throw a tantrum over the IGN video player not working.

Tawpgun

Now is the time for autumnal activities

fucking RIP in peace

Already got the "Hey wanna go do fun fall stuff next weekend"

bugsjpg.png

That poo train is pretty crowded right now. He said TLOU was a very bad game yesterday in HGS. Shameful.

here it is:
Yesterday at 9:54 PM - Reachfu: tlou is a bad game
Yesterday at 9:55 PM - Reachfu: if people complain that destiny is too repetitive then tlou should get the same criticism
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: i cant help that it's not fun for more than 2 hours
Yesterday at 10:13 PM - Reachfu: the story was engaging but i didnt enjoy the mechanics

wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong
Xbone per order recancelled

Blueblur1

Stone town looks great (aside from the lack of effects when destroying the arms that prop up the base windows).

Those models continue to look out of place and dated though. Especially the left hand when holding an AR or BR.

jem0208

Someone make a gamingside thread, so we have something other there than just the patch fiasco

I thought that thread had been sorted since Frankie posted there are cleared up the two disc thing?

Also Halo 3 has great maps but the movement speed is too slow and the jumps too floaty.

Stone town looks great (aside from the lack of effects when destroying the arms that prop up the base windows).

Those models continue to look out of place and dated though. Especially the left hand when holding an AR or BR.

Judging by some of the commentary, this was filmed a while ago (like, before RTX). So it's a super old build.

I thought that thread had been sorted since Frankie posted there are cleared up the two disc thing?

Also Halo 3 has great maps but the movement speed is too slow and the jumps too floaty.

Nope. Patrocles gonna Patrocles.

Welfare

Really infuriates me how the gameplay footage over on the gaming side only has 11 posts in 30 minutes, but the patch thread has almost 1,700 posts.

VinFTW

Really infuriates me how the gameplay footage over on the gaming side only has 11 posts in 30 minutes, but the patch thread has almost 1,700 posts.

There's far more PS4 owners than X1 owners here. Add in the fact that people who have no intention of owning an X1 or the game like to complain just for complaining sake and bam, you got a bigger thread.

Of course, i'm NOT saying there aren't people with valid complaints in that thread though.

Fracas

#fuckonami

It's the same principle as news in general - people care more about conflict than things that go as planned.

I can see why people are upset. It's really lame that a significant portion of a game requires an additional huge download when a second disc would have been an easy solution.

VinFTW

It's the same principle as news in general - people care more about conflict than things that go as planned.

I can see why people are upset. It's really lame that a significant portion of a game requires an additional huge download when a second disc would have been an easy solution.
An easy solution that, according to Frank, is not possible.

(That's what he said right?)

He's a grown ass man and he can do what he wants.

Just like me, right now, choosing to throw a tantrum over the IGN video player not working.
Just like me, right now, choosing to complain about this shitty motion tracker around 1:40 in that video because those small moments occur in many situations; it's shit.

It makes a slow-paced shooter even slower.

An easy solution that, according to Frank, is not possible.

(That's what he said right?)

He did indeed. It's not like there is some grand conspiracy. Things didn't go according to plan, the disc got full up, and sadly, a portion of the community will be affected. Them the breaks.

antigoon

Does Max know more about Stone town than he did Bloodline? I will love the guy forever for basically saving Halo from the rest of Bungie, but man he seemed unprepared during that last walk-through

Does Max know more about Stone town than he did Bloodline? I will love the guy forever for basically saving Halo from the rest of Bungie, but man he seemed unprepared during that last walk-through

Eh, they're in hypercrunch I'm sure so I can't really blame him for not knowing the details of everything. I think he's there because people remember him, not because he's the number one expert on the changes.

Remove motion tracker from one-sided objectives. You have literally one objective and few ways to win (enter base, plant bomb -- enter base, steal flag), so why do we need a motion tracker when we have our eyeballs and GIGANTIC WAYPOINTS?

Can someone explain to me why we need motion tracker? I refuse to believe people are that bad at first person shooters that they only look at 5% of their screen.. I mean, this is obviously anecdotal, but most lesser-skilled players I see don't even bother looking at the motion tracker because they don't know how it works, but they know how their eyeballs work.

Man, motion tracker is bullshit, man.
-insert typical blanket compliment that people make to balance their complaint posts-
I'm going to buy and play the shit out of this collection
, love.

http://giant.gfycat.com/VigorousSociableHapuka.webm
Real skills. 9.8/10
/salt

jem0208

It's bloody ridiculous.

Completely lost faith in good discussion on the gaming side. I'm just going to hang out here from now on.

Also, that Patroclus guy. Clearly Frankie is lying and MS want to force people to download 20gb for which they would gain absolutely nothing.

RowdyReverb

Just finally got around to watching that developer commentary play through on Halo 2 (Check it out if you have an hour to spare, it's a really good commentary! Especially just before the big remake's release) and there was a quote near the end from Marty (I think) that feels very prescient:
I think this is a great example of what Bungie does really well- which is come up with... a really good idea, and not execute on it the first time around. Save it, sit on it, hone it, refine it, and then wham! Next game realize it to its fullest potential.

He was speaking in reference to the number of cuts they had to make to Halo 2 before ship, but it really seems to speak to Destiny's problems as well. Maybe they were a bit too ambitious with Destiny and had to scale back. I hope they can nail it on the sequel though. Anyway, a bit OT for Halo thread, but it seemed relevant enough so I thought I'd share.

Blueblur1

Cross posting some new thoughts from gaming side:

I hadn't watched the flag video. God that text on the HUD is awful, IMO. It's not even good at telling the player where the flag is since it's always hovering off to the side when the player turns away and hard to pinpoint where it's actually pointing to when the player turns back. The flag icon with arrows looks better and would communicate that the flag is offscreen better.

Edit: arrow is actually there. I should wait until I get home to watch and comment on these videos. Text is still superfluous though.

Mix

The Nightfall trailer was freakin' awesome. I love it and I cannot wait to see it. Stonetown looks phenomenal. The art style and the graffiti and everything look great, this proves that Halo needs more bright colorful maps.

I just saw the final product of the OT and I am in love with it. I really hope everyone enjoys it, it's been a labor of love that I'll be sad to let go of.

jem0208

The Nightfall trailer was freakin' awesome. I love it and I cannot wait to see it. Stonetown looks phenomenal. The art style and the graffiti and everything look great, this proves that Halo needs more bright colorful maps.

I just saw the final product of the OT and I am in love with it. I really hope everyone enjoys it, it's been a labor of love that I'll be sad to let go of.
Surely you should be happy to finally let people see it? :p

Also, Nightfall looks fucking amazing.

HTupolev

Remove motion tracker from one-sided objectives. You have literally one objective and few ways to win (enter base, plant bomb -- enter base, steal flag), so why do we need a motion tracker when we have our eyeballs and GIGANTIC WAYPOINTS?

Can someone explain to me why we need motion tracker? I refuse to believe people are that bad at first person shooters that they only look at 5% of their screen.. I mean, this is obviously anecdotal, but most lesser-skilled players I see don't even bother looking at the motion tracker because they don't know how it works, but they know how their eyeballs work.
Because our "eyeballs" can't exactly see a whole lot on-screen. The LARGEST viewing window in the series - that of CE and ODST's split-screen - only subtends a little over pi/2 steradians, or just under 1/7th of the total possible visual field. Most of the series' viewing windows are much smaller; in the main 16:9 view of Reach and Halo 4, you can only see roughly 1/11th of the total possible visual field at any given moment.
Actually, speaking of "5%"s, that's about how much of your surroundings you can see if you play Halo 2 in widescreen 2-player split.

I get that this isn't exactly a popular opinion here, but couple that with garbage directional audio (since most games are still stuck in mid-1990's mode as far as that's concerned), and the result is that playing without a motion tracker is like wearing blinders and earplugs.

Halo is a game that simply usually feels bad to me sans motion tracker.

Crank the FoV up to 120, throw some sweet HRTF shenanigans into the audio processing, and clean up the sound design, and I might change my tune.

jem0208

Because our "eyeballs" can't exactly see a whole lot on-screen. The LARGEST viewing window in the series - that of CE and ODST's split-screen - only subtends a little over pi/2 steradians, or just under 1/7th of the total possible visual field. Most of the series' viewing windows are much smaller; in the main 16:9 view of Reach and Halo 4, you can only see roughly 1/11th of the total possible visual field at any given moment.
Actually, speaking of "5%"s, that's about how much of your surroundings you can see if you play Halo 2 in widescreen 2-player split.

I get that this isn't exactly a popular opinion here, but couple that with garbage directional audio (since most games are still stuck in mid-1990's mode as far as that's concerned), and the result is that playing without a motion tracker is like wearing blinders and earplugs.

Crank the FoV up to 120, throw some sweet HRTF shenanigans into the audio processing, and clean up the sound design, and I might change my tune.
This man has a point.

#TrackerTeamMotion

However I think they should up the crouch movement speed a bit so that you can effectively hide from the tracker without waddling along at a snails pace.

Sephzilla

My real 2 cents is that I think for objective games they play better when radar is on. But when it's for a slayer gametype motion tracker should be off.

Booties

Banned

Want me to peer review/edit it for you?

• You can see behind you and through walls, despite whatever FoV you want to set it at.
  • It slows gameplay to a snail's pace.
  • Lesser-skilled players may depend on it over more important skills like map/combat awareness and intuition.
  • Good range.
  • It gives the player too much info (elevation, type of vehicle, etc.).
  • Makes crouching/camping more viable when people still complain about Halo's walk speed, so defenders can just sit and look at the radar while the attackers have to crouch-walk or risk being spotted (which gives the defenders more of an upper hand).
  • etc.
How about sound-based radar like in other games? The issue I have with motion tracker is it gimping map movement, whereas a radar that only shows enemies when they shoot would be a fair compromise. The way I see it is that Halo is already a slow-paced shooter, so why make it even slower by having this motion tracker? In no way does it speed up the game (especially when we have waypoints telling us everything we have to do, at all times), but the ways it slows down gameplay is more than apparent.

DJ Gunner

My real 2 cents is that I think for objective games they play better when radar is on. But when it's for a slayer gametype motion tracker should be off.

Huh, I pretty much feel the opposite. No radar allows for better strategies and coordination (the element of surprise, crouchwalking notwithstanding). Since slayer is just slayer, while I also prefer no radar in it I've found it impacts the game less than in objective.

Sephzilla

How about sound-based radar like in other games? The issue I have with motion tracker is it gimping map movement, whereas a radar that only shows enemies when they shoot would be a fair compromise. The way I see it is that Halo is already a slow-paced shooter, so why make it even slower by having this motion tracker? In no way does it speed up the game (especially when we have waypoints telling us everything we have to do, at all times), but the ways it slows down gameplay is more than apparent.

Huh, I pretty much feel the opposite. No radar allows for better strategies and coordination (the element of surprise, crouchwalking notwithstanding). Since slayer is just slayer, while I also prefer no radar in it I've found it impacts the game less than in objective.

I wouldn't mind Destiny's radar, to be honest.

For slayer games, yeah motion tracker certainly gimps map movement and it kind of encourages camping a bit in my opinion - which just isn't that fun IMO. For objective game types though, I think it encourages people trying to organize assaults a bit more and prevents people from "lone wolfing" it as easily.

Top Bottom