• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Welfare

Hopefully it will at least be closer to Halo 1/2 MLG standard, and not Halo Reach where niggas were playing an entirely different game than the majority of the fanbase

But it was a much better game. I guess it's up to 343 if they want the base gameplay in Halo 5 to even be considered "competitive".

Anyone got a good writeup on the Halo 1/2/3 spawn systems? I've never had a good understanding of spawns and I think that's the most valuable skill a player can employ.

jem0208

It encourages camping. Rather than moving around and peeking around corners to get intel on enemy movements you can just crouch in place and wait for red dots to appear. Think about Countdown in Reach and how much camping there is. That problem is vastly mitigated by removing motion tracker.

It does encourage camping, but I've also found it encourages movement.

I see a red dot at the edge of my motion tracker and I move towards it. I don't think it needs to be completely removed from slayer, merely modified.

antigoon

Anyone got a good writeup on the Halo 1/2/3 spawn systems? I've never had a good understanding of spawns and I think that's the most valuable skill a player can employ.

I'd appreciate something like this as well.

Funknown: I agree that radar is the only real skill-gimping factor when talking about differences between competitive and noncompetitive, but I think the movement speed and sandbox changes prevent a lot of people from participating in the first place. Combine them all and you have something that appears quite different and intimidating (rightly or wrongly) to newcomers.

Sephzilla

You don't need motion tracker to camp effectively. Motion tracker just hurts the person who isn't camping, giving too much power to the camper. As a defender in one-sided CTF, you already have the advantage. Gimping the element of surprise on maps where you can't really be too sneaky in the first place just feels like overkill.

Perhaps, alternatively though - I've been able to use motion tracker to effectively bait campers out of their spot and into traps plenty of times. Seeing a possible kill so close to them can cause people to make mistakes and get greedy. Radar can totally be used to the advantage of an offense assuming the offensive team is competent (and if they're not, they likely wouldn't win with or without radar).

iMax

The Nightfall trailer was freakin' awesome. I love it and I cannot wait to see it. Stonetown looks phenomenal. The art style and the graffiti and everything look great, this proves that Halo needs more bright colorful maps.

I just saw the final product of the OT and I am in love with it. I really hope everyone enjoys it, it's been a labor of love that I'll be sad to let go of.

We got a title for this puppy yet?

Got to say I've never agreed with the sentiment that having radar is scrub level and some how once it's turned it off the game is objectively better.

Radar is a good tool, It allows people to make interesting plays and have a better understanding of player location in relation to them.

Turning it off stops that and relies on what is essentially abductive guess work.

Choo Choo or w.e but I feel the majority of the "no radar" crowd are just salty that they got dicked on because of a competent radar user.

Welfare

In Multiplayer, radar should be used in low level play for players to get accustomed to the way players move around the map and how to strategize in general. Then, once you hit a higher level of play, it gets taken, with the game expecting that you learned what to do.

Assuming there is Ranked in Halo 5, that is.

IHaveIce

Banned
Dax's was what I decided to go with

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| Mjolnir Mix

meh.

Dax really has no good OT ideas. For example her Destiny threads.

Edit: OT The whole Masterchief Experience on one Disc (+ 20 gb required download)

Funknown: I agree that radar is the only real skill-gimping factor when talking about differences between competitive and noncompetitive, but I think the movement speed and sandbox changes prevent a lot of people from participating in the first place. Combine them all and you have something that appears quite different and intimidating (rightly or wrongly) to newcomers.
For sure, it's more a combination of everything over any individual part.
Perhaps, alternatively though - I've been able to use motion tracker to effectively bait campers out of their spot and into traps plenty of times. Seeing a possible kill so close to them can cause people to make mistakes and get greedy. Radar can totally be used to the advantage of an offense assuming the offensive team is competent (and if they're not, they likely wouldn't win with or without radar).
But what competent defender is going to get baited by an attacker in a less-than-optimal position for their one job of preventing the flag from leaving the base?
Got to say I've never agreed with the sentiment that having radar is scrub level and some how once it's turned it off the game is objectively better.
Objectively better for competitive play, like tournaments where money is on the line. Sound-based radar may be best for some Matchmaking playlists over motion tracker.
Radar is a good tool, It allows people to make interesting plays and have a better understanding of player location in relation to them.
So is human intuition.
Turning it off stops that and relies on what is essentially abductive guess work.
Well, yeah? Improving your ability to successful predict player movements is a skill that is gimped by players relying on motion tracker for too much info.
Choo Choo or w.e but I feel the majority of the "no radar" crowd are just salty that they got dicked on because of a competent radar user.
Difference between me and you and is that although I'm an advocate for no motion tracker, I would never say something like "the reason 'scrubs' don't want it is because they get donged on by better players without it.. but funny thing is, they get bodied by those same competitive players regardless, except one way they're gimping their progression as a player (if that's what they're interested in, improving at the game)" and hope people take my argument seriously.

Sure it may feel good to say it, and to some extent may be true, but it just makes your argument seem less credible IMO. Not saying I'm the best "debater" around, but I'm only disappointed because players like you exist where they probably haven't played too much Halo without motion tracker, yet they critique the other side as if those who oppose don't have experience with motion tracker on, just suck with it, or whatever other reason you come up with that involves emotions and blind rage speaking for them lol.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| This Game Is Not A Natural Resolution

I have a better/meaner one but in light of the current thread's title change, I'll be a nicer person for a change.

Tawpgun

Nightfall trailer got me thinking.

Why has no developer used the Hunter Worms to do something more interesting. We got scarabs in H3 and thats about it. They can pretty much take any form.

Another note... Was the organic nature of the SpOps harvester ever explained. Is it a stylistic thing for the covenant?

500px-Harvester_Sculpt.jpg
This thing looks straight out of Gears of War. Even the inside was organic looking. It looked like it had a spine and skin.

sopsep10-027.jpg

Sephzilla

But what competent defender is going to get baited by an attacker in a less-than-optimal position for their one job of preventing the flag from leaving the base?

Just going off of personal experience, I've made it work enough times to find it viable. But this is just a typical Xbox Live experience and not necessarily a tournament/MLG scenario.

Aw man, should've gone with "Best Bungie Game of 2014"

Agreed. This seemed like the fan favorite but a bunch of people apparently thought it was offensive to Bungie/Destiny

Halo: MCC |OT| 1t's 2 extr3me 4 one disc

triple-h-nod.gif

AlStrong

Why has no developer used the Hunter Worms to do something more interesting. We got scarabs in H3 and thats about it. They can pretty much take any form.

Worms that combine to form a GIANT WORM? :p

Lekgolo that could morph into different vehicles or attack/defense modes (to work in tandem with other allies) would be nifty (taking a page out of the pure flood form transformer).

For sure, it's more a combination of everything over any individual part.

Objectively better for competitive play, like tournaments where money is on the line. Sound-based radar may be best for some Matchmaking playlists over motion tracker.

So is human intuition.

Well, yeah? Improving your ability to successful predict player movements is a skill that is gimped by players relying on motion tracker for too much info.

Difference between me and you and is that although I'm an advocate for no motion tracker, I would never say something like "the reason 'scrubs' don't want it is because they get donged on by better players without it.. but funny thing is, they get bodied by those same competitive players regardless, except one way they're gimping their progression as a player (if that's what they're interested in, improving at the game)."

Sure it may feel good to say it, and to some extent may be true, but it just makes your argument seem less credible IMO. Not saying I'm the best "debater" around, but I'm only disappointed because players like you exist where they probably haven't played too much Halo without motion tracker, yet they critique the other side as if those who oppose don't have experience with motion tracker on, just suck with it, or whatever other reason you come up with that involves emotions and blind rage speaking for them lol.

I've played plenty of Halo both with and without Radar.

What I'm saying is that I still don't understand how it's objectively better. It's different. It's almost like saying car racing is better that bike racing. They aren't really comparable from any standpoint. Radarless Halo is a different beast. I just think it's a fallacy that somehow Halo is better when Radar is off. Why exactly is it better? Even when it's a high level pro game. Surely if all those players can read a Radar well and use it to their advantage then it negates it's effectiveness. Maybe in scenarios where its 4 good players who can work well with a Radar against 4 who can't it's a different ball game but surely then the fault lies with the player.

I think people have some false assumptions that Radar off = Harder game because it's been a tradition of Pro gametypes

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| 50 Shades of Brown on one Disk
or
Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| Falcon Flipping Simulator 2014

Sephzilla

But it's a joke. :'(

21st century comedy can't actually hurt or offend anyone.

Meh, I guess can see how the bungie related title could ruffle a few feathers. But I still think something that doesn't even directly imply that Destiny was bad, but Halo is just better, is something only the thin skinned get upset over

AlStrong

"The weight of the download will stay your feet, and you will be left behind"
"There are those who said this d/l would never finish, what are they to say now."

Ok, too long. :p

"Bet you can't d/l it."

Korten

Banned
Nightfall trailer got me thinking.

Another note... Was the organic nature of the SpOps harvester ever explained. Is it a stylistic thing for the covenant?

500px-Harvester_Sculpt.jpg
This thing looks straight out of Gears of War. Even the inside was organic looking. It looked like it had a spine and skin.

sopsep10-027.jpg

The Harvester is the same breed as Scarabs. It's just another fucking large colony of Lekgolo.

Top Bottom