• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheXbox

I'm not one to slrp by any means, but come on. This is absurd. If you watch the Halofest activities, when Blair interviews Frank and Dan, they are genuinely excited and happy to have the game out and to go back and start playing. They had no clue it would be like this. They were talking about New Zealand and Australia playing, and just seeing the UK guys come online. No one knew it would be like this since most of the people playing were part of smaller territories initially and because matchmaking wasn't really live.

It's one thing having a few hundred reviewers and devs playing, quite another having at least 1-2 million go on and try to play. I'm angry as hell I can't play, but I'm not foolish enough to think they purposely knew the game would be like this. This is more harmful to them in the long run, which is why they probably have boots to asses at Kirkland and Redmond trying to get this working.

As for Halo 5, what are they supposed to do? The game was somewhat leaked earlier than announcement, and Frank, Dan, Kiki, Bonnie, Josh are senior staff, them being at Halofest has no bearing on whether the game will or will not function. This is just a fact that something has gone horribly wrong and they're having trouble finding out what the problem is.
You can't not have a clue about how broken the game is. Come on, dude, every single aspect of the MCC is busted. If they didn't catch any of this - and they did - then their QA is worse than abysmal, and it's no excuse for releasing an unfinished, sloppy product.

What would have been more harmful, at least in Microsoft's eyes, would be to delay their flagship release of the year. This game probably needed another month or two of crunch, but the fact is they couldn't miss the anniversary of Halo 2 or the 2014 holiday season. The code name for this game was "Ace" for a reason. This is MS' ace in the hole. They fucking needed it, and they certainly weren't going to delay it because the matchmaking and lobbies weren't working. (and maybe everything else)

The Halo 5 stuff only seems gross in this context. I don't think it's on Frankie or Kiki or Bonnie. They had a deadline to make, nothing to be done about it. The fault lies with the higher-ups at MS who green-lighted this broken game.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think it's reasonable to believe that some of the server-side issues caught them unawares. The crashing, the performance issues, and the general shittiness surrounding everything regarding multiplayer certainly did not.

Leotarius

Sometimes I feel like the ambitions may have been too much. I really want this thing to work out. Played one match on H2A Ascension, was amazing.

This is super frustrating though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
He killed himself 9 times and was killed by himself 12 times. What doesn't make sense about this?

everything? if he would have killed himself the most and killed by himself the most... as a weird possibility that is... no number can be higher than the other

also my screen said i killed him the most with 6 and killed most by him with 7

and my teammate killed him 7 times and he was killed by him 9 times

problem is.... xz shocker zx was on my team. and went 18-14 for a +4 :p

well we get another update from 343 in about 3 hours.

(It's a text update on halowaypoint, I'm not sure if they'll be doing another in-game update as well)

Caja 117

Anybody managed to do the Gold Jump on Guardian? I can't do it and I nailed the jump 99% of the time in Halo 3. :/

Could it be done on normal settings and not MLG settings? I never made it consistenly, so I dont remember trying it on normal settings.

Ein Bear

CE online is glorious. There must be a whole generation of gamers out there who have never experienced the CE Pistol. Everyone keeps fruitlessly running at me with Assault Rifles whilst I spread the gospel.

Tawpgun

CE online is glorious. There must be a whole generation of gamers out there who have never experienced the CE Pistol. Everyone keeps fruitlessly running at me with Assault Rifles whilst I spread the gospel.
Unfortunately people don't respond well to the netcode of CE. No one votes for it

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But actually. Launch day and week are important. I'll still play the game for a while but I want a healthy population too
Yeah. Hopefully things get ironed out by Christmas or there's no hope.

Lots of complaining in here about "everything" being broken which is extreme.

I mean, I played co-op H2A campaign with a buddy online all last night without a hitch. It was beautiful and wonderful. No crashes, no problems. *shrug*

Blueblur1

Halo 5 just has a lot of beeps. I think they are all tied to something. But I could have sworn there is a beep for hitmarkers and a different beep for confirmed kill.

And beeps for nades. And shields. And everything. I'm all for better visual and audio clarity but....

I guess we'll see

I'd argue that Halo 5 has too many audio cues and H2A has too few. (Hell, it doesn't even have the BR zoom sound effect.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of complaining in here about "everything" being broken which is extreme.

I mean, I played co-op H2A campaign with a buddy online all last night without a hitch. It was beautiful and wonderful. No crashes, no problems. *shrug*
Nah, it's pretty much every aspect of the game. The H2A campaign never saves my checkpoints when I quit and save, and it totally froze up on me once. I've gotten several sound bugs in campaign, too.

Ein Bear

As gloriously beautiful as the Blur cutscenes are, it's funny how their Chief character model is all battle damaged and scratched up right at the very start of the game.

He literally puts on a brand spanking new suit, then walks down a corridor to meet Lord Hood. Must have been all kinds of crazy shit going on off-screen.

Random17

H2 has the best writing and story, but the missions are just bad when compared to every other Halo.

Ah... no. That's the silliest thing I have read today.

Outskirts/Metropolis, Delta Halo/Regret, High Charity, Uprising etc etc

There are plenty of great missions in the game. Some of the above listed are arguably in the top 5 in the franchise.

And hell the other Arbiter levels are awesome because of active camo and the energy sword. And the missions were less repetitive than CE in terms of the environments.

As gloriously beautiful as the Blur cutscenes are, it's funny how their Chief character model is all battle damaged and scratched up right at the very start of the game.

He literally puts on a brand spanking new suit, then walks down a corridor to meet Lord Hood. Must have been all kinds of crazy shit going on off-screen.

Yup, his armor was tested by Maria including a re entry sequence.

Halo 5 just has a lot of beeps. I think they are all tied to something. But I could have sworn there is a beep for hitmarkers and a different beep for confirmed kill.

And beeps for nades. And shields. And everything. I'm all for better visual and audio clarity but....

I guess we'll see

I think there's a beep for medals and a more constant beeping sound for low shields. Definitely needs to be toned down.

Impala26

Has anyone noticed issues regarding AI (specifically failing to follow you in parts) during the H2A campaign? I definitely ran into this issue at a couple points thus far.

Not game-breaking, but annoying as all hell. I'm genuinely confused as to how this could happen with the game literally running the same old engine. How could running a second graphics engine on top of the old effect the AI scripting?

Campaign: Halo CE > Halo ODST > Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 2

Multiplayer: Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo Reach

Firefight: Halo Odst > Halo Reach

Caja 117

Nah, it's pretty much every aspect of the game. The H2A campaign never saves my checkpoints when I quit and save, and it totally froze up on me once. I've gotten several sound bugs in campaign, too.

This is why I dont udnerstand why accross the board some people are having these problems, while other are not.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The best thing about 4 was the 1 second we got a shot of MCs face.

For me campaigns go reach, ODST, 3 and CE

I loved the story telling in reach and ODST.

Akai__

Could it be done on normal settings and not MLG settings? I never made it consistenly, so I dont remember trying it on normal settings.

Yes, it can be done on normal settings, too.

I saw someone do this on a stream a few days ago actually, so it's still totally possible.

Just managed to do it a coupple of times. It feels different and the timing has probably changed. It's completetly possible, though.

I'm still kinda salty over the changes Reach made to the canon, so my ranking's more like

CE>3>ODST>2>4>Reach

EDIT: 2 would be higher, but frankly the mission design isn't all that. Love the story, though.

Random17

Ranking Halo 3 second to last? What terrible event happened to you in 2007 to make you such a monster?

I'll bite!

Story:
-Generally uninteresting story for the first half
-Character assassinations of Miranda, Truth and even the Gravemind
-Bad voice acting
-Couple of plot holes, like how High Charity even go to the Ark anyway without leaving a trace of Flood infestation on Earth (only answered very recently in that Waypoint ARG)
-Failure to actually close the Halo story with 5 key plot points left out (nothing about the Spartans in Ghost of Onyx, Gravemind promising his return, little revealed about the Forerunners, the Legendary ending, and the remaining Covenant races/escaped Prophets)

Gameplay:
-Ghosts being ridiculously overpowered and ruining vehicle combat on higher difficulties
-Equipment such as flare became a real eye sore
-Fewer glitches/easter eggs/vacations that extended Halo 2's campaign lifetime.

It is also possibly the worst Halo game to speedrun without checkpoint segmentation, barring ODST.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
Does anyone else think the games should have been put on the disc as their own separate experiences instead of under the master UI? What I mean is, if I want to play Halo 3, I can select Halo 3 from one single simple master menu, then play Halo 3 exactly as it was on Xbox 360, except in 1080p 60fps. In addition, Halo 2 would have received the remastered UI the same way Halo: CEA did. The only game that would have had a custom UI is Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer.

It seems a good chunk of these issues are related to the brand new UI experience. The above would have prevented a lot of these issues, or at least isolate them, and also would have kept content, such as Halo 3's and Halo 4's armor customization, ranking systems, and more. Sure, we wouldn't have the mixed experience the new UI offers, but I don't think people would have considered that much of a con if it was never brought up to begin with.

Does anyone else think the games should have been put on the disc as their own separate experiences instead of under the master UI? What I mean is, if I want to play Halo 3, I can select Halo 3 from one single simple master menu, then play Halo 3 exactly as it was on Xbox 360, except in 1080p 60fps. In addition, Halo 2 would have received the remastered UI the same way Halo: CEA did. The only game that would have had a custom UI is Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer.

It seems a good chunk of these issues are related to the brand new UI experience. The above would have prevented a lot of these issues, or at least isolate them, and also would have kept content, such as Halo 3's and Halo 4's armor customization, ranking systems, and more. Sure, we wouldn't have the mixed experience the new UI offers, but I don't think people would have considered that much of a con if it was never brought up to begin with.

It would require redoing their respective UIs. It's a horrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom