• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Soooo I think it'd be cool if 343 gave us like a remastered map or two for free to make up for this poor launch. It'd make me a little less frustrated, and probably a lot of others too.

They need a current news section in the main screen of mcc, avg person is not going to goto the halo waypoi t support forums, they will lose fans because of this.

belushy

Banned
I'll trust mastrbiggy over the clowns at IGN.

He said the aiming and movement felt great.

Got a CE BTB game of KOTH on hang em high, CE games evidently just go on forever. dude on my team had like 60 kills and I had 44. Pistol feels inconsistent as hell though.

Is there a link to Biggy's impressions?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Of course. It's difficult to do broad scale testing which is what a lot of open beta tests are for.

You can sim, but that doesn't replicate regular operations.

That's why when online games launch, there can be one thing that just brings everything down.

A good chunk of the crashes may even be a result from the networking side, too.

People may not realize that the second everything went to shit, hundreds of engineers were summoned to fix it. Trying to find out if it's XBL, if it's Azure (hardware or software), if it's the Xbox APIs/OS, if it's the game code and how to fix it

You can't plan for every potential failure. But you can react as quickly as possible, fix it quickly as possible and learn from those errors and then avoid those issues in the future.

This is 100% accurate. Not an excuse, an explanation.

The issue wasn't present during test, something(s) changed and fixing and identifying are the only priority right now.

We already rolled out server side changes that have improved some things and more are coming.

I have gone from being unable to find games to finding them quickly. (home machine)

Ah, so it's more like the UT3 dialog with the bots. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Needs to be on by default for new players, but in settings I should be able to either mute it entirely OR have it play for a spartan only if I mute that teammate.

Sprint should be cut and base movement increased, but that won't happen so instead increase base movement, keep current limitations on sprint and make the duration limited.

Honestly if I was in your position I'd return everything.

Matchmaking might be functional within the week, but all the other countless bugs are gonna take a while to fix.

Seriously considering doing the same. I've got 22 days left to return the bone for a full refund and I don't see all these issues getting fixed by then. The fixes coming this weekend might get matchmaking going again, but there's no way they can address all the other stuff that quickly.

If they fix this there will be better deals circa Black Friday and into December anyways.

daedalius

Is there a link to Biggy's impressions?

Last night I got to play H5 TS on Midship. I only played one match so this is mostly just my initial thoughts and not in any way a proper dissection of the game. Take it as you will.

Movement & Animations
I really liked the base movement of Halo 5, it felt fast and fluid. One thing that every Halo has failed to nail is the sense of weight and power of a Spartan. H5 finally gets it right. Every movement feels impactful and weighty without affecting player mobility. Initially, it seems visually cumbersome, but it started to feel natural after a while.

I think having thrusters is a nice addition, but it needs to be toned down. It allowed you to get out of the blast radius of grenades and retreat when losing a gun fight too easily. In its current state it seems like a get out of jail ability. I think it should act more as a strafe to throw off an opponents aim. Many people complain that sprint allows players to retreat from their mistakes too easily, I feel that thruster in its current form is exactly that and in some ways more problematic.

Sprinting is sprinting, not much new here. I’m not the biggest fan of sprint in Halo, but the new shield recharge/sprint mechanic is a interesting approach to try and punish players for abusing it. I found myself trying to use it to run away from a gun fight and paying the price because my shields never recharged.

I’m not sure how I feel about ledge climb, I don’t think it really takes away from the game, but it certainly does give players more options in terms paths they can take on a map. I never tried the ground pound or charge abilities so I can’t really comment on how they work. I did see multiple people get destroyed for trying to use it. Seems like there is some risk/reward aspect to using these abilities.

Gunplay
I was extremely pleased with the base gunplay. Aim assist is dramatically reduced from H4 - firefights are certainly more challenging and require more precision/skill. This increases the skill gap when compared with H4 (which I though had pretty good base gunplay already). Small refinements in aiming/aim acceleration are certainly welcomed and make the game feel more responsive and precise.

Hip fire is still as important as ever and as accurate as ever. Unlike modern shooters, H5 scoping doesn’t seem to improve accuracy or spread, at least on precision weapons like the BR, Pistol, and DMR. Pretty standard stuff for any Halo game. I’m not sure how the AR’s aiming mechanic affects its output though.

This brings me to the new scoping mechanic. The current scoping mechanic in H5 is a sort of hybrid between the typical ADS that you find in modern shooters and Halo’s traditional scope mechanic. Default controls require that you hold down the left trigger to scope and being shot kicks you out of scope. I think scoping in H5 goes a little beyond just being “visual ADS”, but it certainly isn’t the ADS that you find in games like CoD or BF. I know it really doesn’t mean anything when I say I don’t like it, but I need to spend more time with it to fully understand how it works and how it impacts the game. I’ll just leave at that.

Weapons (the ones I used)
The Assault Rifle felt like a mix between the H3 and H4 AR. The pistol was really strange at first, but it seemed pretty effective. Damage output felt similar to H4, perhaps a little more effective in H5 though. The BR and DMR worked as you’d expect, not much new here. The sword was pretty devastating, especially when paired with sprint and thruster. Grenades seemed similar to H4 in terms of damage output.

Other stuff
There are some neat additions like Spartan chatter. Had a few Spartans congratulate me on getting a headshot. I found it kind of humorous, but I hope there is an option turn it off. There are now visual and audio indicators for static power weapon spawns, which I’m completely fine with.

Closing thoughts
Playing Halo 5 was a really weird experience for me. There are certainly improvements over its predecessor and things that I really liked, but there were also a handful of changes that caused concern. These concerns come from someone who wants to hold onto Halo of the past, but also someone who is concerned with how these additions/changes impact H5 moving forward.

I’m definitely looking forward to sinking more time into the game when the beta releases and providing more in depth thoughts.

here it is

Needs to be on by default for new players, but in settings I should be able to either mute it entirely OR have it play for a spartan only if I mute that teammate.

Sprint should be cut and base movement increased, but that won't happen so instead increase base movement, keep current limitations on sprint and make the duration limited.

Seriously considering doing the same. I've got 22 days left to return the bone for a full refund and I don't see all these issues getting fixed by then. The fixes coming this weekend might get matchmaking going again, but there's no way they can address all the other stuff that quickly.

If they fix this there will be better deals circa Black Friday and into December anyways.

I think the best way to limit sprint's duration is to impose the shield drain, and have you be unable to sprint at 0 shields. Somebody proposed a shield drain for thrusters as well, but I think it might be better to just drop the distance a little.

This is 100% accurate. Not an excuse, an explanation.

The issue wasn't present during test, something(s) changed and fixing and identifying are the only priority right now.

We already rolled out server side changes that have improved some things and more are coming.

I have gone from being unable to find games to finding them quickly. (home machine)
This game has a ton of promise. Will be awesome once it gets through the growing pains of launch. Thanks frank.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Open mind question here, how can 343 or msft be allowed to release mcc with the obvious hiccups? I mean, in any other industry or job, people would be seriously fired for making these types of mistakes. Is anyone being held accountable? As a consumer and buyer of the product, id like a much more indepth reason to why all this happens, repetitively, launch after launch.

In my job, i write proposals, if i miss on question or im non compliant on something, and its found that we lose a job because of it, i get fired.. Reality.

Does this take place in the game industry?

I mean, whos at fault here? Msft's azure? Ive seen people saying theyre grabbing host in matchmaki g... Not possible in a dedicated server environment.

Fml...i just want some transparency.

Isocr4cy

God damn why are SMG starts still a thing? Not very fun playing SMG starts on Zanzibar when the other team has both snipers.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Open mind question here, how can 343 or msft be allowed to release mcc with the obvious hiccups? I mean, in any other industry or job, people would be seriously fired for making these types of mistakes. Is anyone being held accountable? As a consumer and buyer of the product, id like a much more indepth reason to why all this happens, repetitively, launch after launch.

In my job, i write proposals, if i miss on question or im non compliant on something, and its found that we lose a job because of it, i get fired.. Reality.

Does this take place in the game industry?

I mean, whos at fault here? Msft's azure? Ive seen people saying theyre grabbing host in matchmaki g... Not possible in a dedicated server environment.

Fml...i just want some transparency.

Just because not everything is obvious pre-launch. Again. There's a huge difference between deploying and testing among a hundred staff vs millions of people. Scale is larger... and funny thing is... with scale, not everything remains the same.

Your testing behind closed doors, something could be dependent on low ping and high bandwidth so they don't catch an issue where it can hang the game in a real world environment with many people accessing things at the same time from many countries.

Not everything will work as you expect it to.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just because not everything is obvious pre-launch. Again. There's a huge difference between deploying and testing among a hundred staff vs millions of people. Scale is larger... and funny thing is... with scale, not everything remains the same.

Your testing behind closed doors, something could be dependent on low ping and high bandwidth so they don't catch an issue where it can hang the game in a real world environment with many people accessing things at the same time from many countries.

Not everything will work as you expect it to.

Thats funny, because any other product we buy, its expected to work 100% out of the box. Mcc doesnt work 100% out of the box, i ha e real issue with that.
Imagine buyi g a car...

Onikaan

Thats funny, because any other product we buy, its expected to work 100% out of the box. Mcc doesnt work 100% out of the box, i ha e real issue with that.
Imagine buyi g a car...

Let's be honest, just about every blockbuster title we've had this year and last has had some kind of online hiccup.

Got into a Big Team battle Halo 1 Blood Gulch match. Aside from your typical slight leading to your shots and slightly jittery warthog, not bad, not bad at all!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Imagine buyi g a car...

Sure, it's not working 100% but the campaigns generally work fine with the exception of the terminals (oh networking rears its head again) and halo 4 with random crashes

I'll tell you one thing: see how well diablo 3 is doing and everyone was absolutely losing their shit at that launch. Things happen. Websites go down. Things break.

Yell at me in a week or 2 if all the problems are still there. Launch window will not always go as expected.

Would you download a car?

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR.
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD PIZZA.
DON'T DOWNLOAD MOVIES.

While I was bummed not to get this game at launch (waiting for payday tomorrow) I'm glad that I'm avoiding a lot of the bugs. Glad top men are working on it.

daedalius

Watching a guy walk around with an overpowered assault rifle is fantastic?

Focusing in on one aspect that might be overpowered in a short video about a whole new game is probably not the reason anyone think it looks good.

If I see an awesome gameplay trailer for a new mmo, and the class being played looks massively overpowered, saying it looks awesome doesn't mean I am commenting on the overpowered class.

ARs are pretty lame, and hopefully if it is overpowered, it gets nerfed.

Networking issues and servers fucking up is understandable and oftentimes, unpredictable.

That is still no excuse for the many dozens of broken features, missing options, crashes, and other stability and functional issues that are all client side. This build should have never made it into the wild, plain and simple.

Caja 117

You cant look at it that way, black and white, mcc is a product, we buy it, it should work 100%. Theres no label on the box that says, "may not work as intended".

Is an Online product that heavely depends on Servers integrity, you cant compare it to buying a car that doesnt depend on seevers to work properly. People need to stop coparing buying a video game product to product that cost thousands of dollars.

They big mistake made by 343 was not doing a open Beta test for this game.

Focusing in on one aspect that might be overpowered in a short video about a whole new game is probably not the reason anyone think it looks good.

If I see an awesome gameplay trailer for a new mmo, and the class being played looks massively overpowered, saying it looks awesome doesn't mean I am commenting on the overpowered class.

ARs are pretty lame, and hopefully if it is overpowered, it gets nerfed.

Well when it comes to their marketing focus (balance and e-sports) and my subjective preference of how Halo is played, I think someone walking around with an assault rifle that has considerable range is absolutely far and away from being "fantastic."

Curious why everyone references that video and says uh-mah-gawh it's amazing. He doesn't even seem to showcase what's new in the game--just walks around and spams that assault rifle. He's playing people who are obviously very bad.

Mix

My xbox just hard reset itself because I tried to switch back to anniversary mode on Delta Halo at the top of a mountain.

:/

Booshka

Well when it comes to their marketing focus (balance and e-sports) and my subjective preference of how Halo is played, I think someone walking around with an assault rifle that has considerable range is absolutely far and away from being "fantastic."

Curious why everyone references that video and says uh-mah-gawh it's amazing. He doesn't even seem to showcase what's new in the game--just walks around and spams that assault rifle. He's playing people who are obviously very bad.

Ya it didn't impress me either, just looks like an improvement on Halo 4. Nothing about it looked very fun.

Agreed, I'm hoping that the Spartan dialog can be turned on and off, cuz I can only see that becoming a big annoyance after my 1th game.

In regards to sprint, I'd rather there be penalties to continual use than a cooldown period where it can't be used (also hoping for a toggle to turn it on or off).

willow ve

Played a Halo 3 match and every voting option was AR starts... What the fuck 343?

Seems like they are using Halo 3 launch weapon and equipment starts.
Hey 343, there's a reason all the maps were updated in matchmaking (some maps had like 7-10 iterations before the "end of life" for the game).

They didn't even put the updated H3 maps into mm. They're the default disc maps.

Yeah - that's pretty much it. And it's shit.

Ya it didn't impress me either, just looks like an improvement on Halo 4. Nothing about it looked very fun.

Ok, this is the first thing to really sell me on Halo 5. Looked great. Little nervous about the thruster pack though.

What am I missing? I'm not trying to be a jerk or antagonistic, but this video is not impressive to me. I just got done playing Halo 2 classic, Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 1 last night in customs and this Halo 5 gameplay doesn't look that exciting.

The new midship looks sexy, that's all I can glean from it.

I'm concerned about the assault rifle balance. In some ways it would be good if your starting weapon isn't crap (smg starts...*shudder*), but a spray weapon shouldn't have that much range IMO in Halo. Halo is about precision aiming and timing, not "hold down RT FTW."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom