• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CE online is glorious. There must be a whole generation of gamers out there who have never experienced the CE Pistol. Everyone keeps fruitlessly running at me with Assault Rifles whilst I spread the gospel.
The gospel of Truth and Reconciliation, my brother. It's awesome to see some of my friends gravitate towards CE as they're intrigued by its depth.

The dong is real; it inspires people.

Booshka

The gospel of Truth and Reconciliation, my brother. It's awesome to see some of my friends gravitate towards CE as they're intrigued by its depth.

The dong is real; it inspires people.

I love the irony here, seeing as how it's the only level where you can't use the Pistol.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
It would require redoing their respective UIs. It's a horrible idea.

How? It seemed to me like Halo: CE's was ported over just fine. Even smaller things like the sensitivity for moving around the menu remained intact. While I'm not saying some modifications wouldn't be required for the Xbox One, dedicated servers, etc., it wouldn't require an entire "redoing".

Of course, I'm not a developer, but it doesn't seem like this brand new master UI is any better with all the tremendous amount of bugs.

Karl2177

So everything is pretty bad, except for Forge. I was just messing in it, but there's a LOT of potential for some really cool maps. I just wish that there were more sandbox options like the Hammer or Pro Pipe.

Ein Bear

The current unified UI is a much better, faster way of handling the amount of content here...But the nostalgic part of me does miss the original UIs and title screens a little.

I think it would have been cool if they'd at least included the original loading screens to tickle that nostalgia, instead of the boring static ones.

Madness

Half the achievements I got say Completed...unlocking. Whereas others have started to unlock normally, so it seems like they've at least fixed that.

I was put into a 3v3 Team BR's shrine game, but midway through its crashed and put us back in menu, now I'm doing a 3v1 SWAT on Warlord... *sigh*

Madness

Sorry for double post, but fucking lol, I was in a 3v1 SWAT on Warlord, and I just highlighted them and booted from party after I had enough deaths. This is so bad.

clav

Sooooooooo matchmaking?

Been sitting in various playlists for about 20m now, no matches.

Wait for the weekend patch.

0 out of too many cancelled matches on DSL.

I think it helps if you have high speed Internet as I've only gotten matches on a 10 Download / 5 Upload Mbps connection.

MouldyK

I would say -1th currently.

Oh...lucky Mario Kart 8 DLC tomorrow then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL6JYR5eFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDnxthRzFM

d08.gif

Atleast it's 1080p in 60fps (well 59fps).

Story:
-Couple of plot holes, like how High Charity even go to the Ark anyway without leaving a trace of Flood infestation on Earth (only answered very recently in that Waypoint ARG)
Which arg?
-Failure to actually close the Halo story with 5 key plot points left out (nothing about the Spartans in Ghost of Onyx, Gravemind promising his return, little revealed about the Forerunners, the Legendary ending, and the remaining Covenant races/escaped Prophets)
Well. Bungie did not care about the novels. Never mentioned the Spartans III and even there did not really care about the Fall Of Reach.

It was never Bungie's intention to reveal something about the Forerunners. They should always be mysterious. The legendary ending was a cliffhanger for a next entry. Well. The last point counts.
Gameplay:
-Fewer glitches/easter eggs/vacations that extended Halo 2's campaign lifetime.
I do not think that Bungie intended the glitches in Halo 2... Halo 2 is just a mess because it was rushed.

clav

I have high speed internet, it doesn't seem to be helping.

Yeah I'll be playing SSO/not MM until it's fixed.

Almost seems like the bug has to do with how the game selects and pairs from ping. After all, the network quality detection bars are removed from the game, so maybe the current state of online is play is just hacked together using LAN?

Maybe the team is scrambling to call the TitanFall team on how to make this Windows Azure thing work.

Random17

Which arg?

Well. Bungie did not care about the novels. Never mentioned the Spartans III and even there did not really care about the Fall Of Reach.

It was never Bungie's intention to reveal something about the Forerunners. They should always be mysterious. The legendary ending was a cliffhanger for a next entry. Well. The last point counts.

I do not think that Bungie intended the glitches in Halo 2... Halo 2 is just a mess because it was rushed.
-The ARG is an AI on Waypoint. Haven't seen him post for a few months now.

-Bungie did care about the novels, especially considering the fact that Joseph Staten himself wrote one of them. And frankly even if they didn't care it makes no difference. If it really was supposed to be the end of the story as some people claim during exceptionally salty times... then it wouldn't have left us on edge with the Ghosts of Onyx.

-Easter eggs/vacations were certainly intended though e.g. Outskirts... or not limited by the developers. And what I am pointing out is that what the developer intends also has no bearing on the final product's review; I take it as I get it. Bungie didn't intend to add in sword flying either, but it became the best accidental game mechanic I've seen in video games so far.

Booshka

Almost seems like the bug has to do with how the game selects and pairs from ping. After all, the network quality detection bars are removed from the game, so maybe the current state of online is play is just hacked together using LAN?

Maybe the team is scrambling to call the TitanFall team on how to make this Windows Azure thing work.

I'm sure if MCC had the same player population as Titanfall, it would be a lot easier to get it working.

Obscured

It's amazing the difference between how engaged I am during Halo CE games compared to playing any of the other titles.

I've been really impressed on how CE has held up and most of the time it gets the vote when I've been able to get a match in the Team Slayer playlist. I think I've been having fun in it primarily because no one is really teaming up yet though (hopefully by the time that starts happening I have a steady group I'm playing with), so I can be somewhat effective without really knowing the maps as well as some of the later ones. Though it does help how small they are, you get a good sense after playing them just 2-3 times. Is the headshot the center of the reticule? I've had a hard time telling. I've actually been grateful for that sound ping when you hit, I kind of want a different one for a headshot. I'm just not getting quite enough feedback to tell what I should adjust.

Most surprising thing for me is I've ended up feeling like the movement is slow for all of the games, even CE. I don't know if it is the 60fps or what, but I feel like I'm moving through thigh high water. That isn't necessarily a knock against any of them, just something I've felt this time around that I've never really noticed before.

BigShow36

I've been really impressed on how CE has held up and most of the time it gets the vote when I've been able to get a match in the Team Slayer playlist. I think I've been having fun in it primarily because no one is really teaming up yet though (hopefully by the time that starts happening I have a steady group I'm playing with), so I can be somewhat effective without really knowing the maps as well as some of the later ones. Though it does help how small they are, you get a good sense after playing them just 2-3 times. Is the headshot the center of the reticule? I've had a hard time telling. I've actually been grateful for that sound ping when you hit, I kind of want a different one for a headshot. I'm just not getting quite enough feedback to tell what I should adjust.

You need to lead your target in Halo CE, so a headshot will typically result from the trailing edge of the reticle leading a player. The amount will depend on how far away they are and the amount of latency in the game. I'm still not entirely sure if the game is dropping a ton of shots or if I'm just not leading enough in high-latency games.

Booshka

Most surprising thing for me is I've ended up feeling like the movement is slow for all of the games, even CE. I don't know if it is the 60fps or what, but I feel like I'm moving through thigh high water. That isn't necessarily a knock against any of them, just something I've felt this time around that I've never really noticed before.

I've suggested positioning the bottom line of the Reticule through the middle, or lower-middle portion of their head. This is where I get the most success at headshots, Head in the center of the Reticule can lead to some chest and shoulder shots being registered. That bottom line of the reticule curving along their mouth usually gives me consistent dome shots. It's like painting a Smile on their face, except they aren't happy about it.

Adjust accordingly for leading shots of course.

I think I'm really going to enjoy Halo 5, I've been feeling the urge to boost and sprint lately. Maybe I've just been playing too much Advanced Warfare in the past week.

And also my game crashed and won't start up again. Great.

Actually, it's pretty hilarious when you put it like that. No doubt they knew this game was broken weeks ahead of launch. What a love letter. A busted game after half a year of reverent, pandering rhetoric, and meanwhile they're already telling us to sign up for Halo 5.

I know it's not that sinister, but the sleaziness of it all is undeniable.
Ugh, what a vile post. You honestly think that 343 wants to push out a game that's knowingly broken? Get a grip.

zap

One of the games that we got put into last night had 7 people... MCC matched us in teams of 5 and 2.

This is in an 8 person playlist - how on earth does the game give any team more than 4? Surely that's one of the most integral parts of matchmaking!?

One of the games that we got put into last night had 7 people... MCC matched us in teams of 5 and 2.

This is in an 8 person playlist - how on earth does the game give any team more than 4? Surely that's one of the most integral parts of matchmaking!?

Skill-based matchmaking. Obviously the team with 2 people consisted of the Ogre twins or something.

#HireBregmann

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, what a vile post. You honestly think that 343 wants to push out a game that's knowingly broken? Get a grip.
If anything, Microsoft pressured them to release it before it was wise to do so. MS absolutely needed this game out. If that were the case, I'm sure 343 knew about many of the issues, but their hands would be tied. There'd be nothing they could do aside from prepare to fix all the loose ends post-launch.

Ramirez

Had a game of One Flag BR's on there. Shit was gud.

Although it's funny when folks forget some of the basics, like securing Rockets at the start of the game.

Playing all of these games just exposes all of my bad habits I've picked up over the past few years. I rarely checked for power weapons on launch night, I still find myself out in the open, or in bad positioning thinking I can sprint or double jump out of it.

This is really the game of the forever for me once it starts working properly, super frustrating, but what can ya do, but wait. Asking for a refund is non sense in my eyes, as I know it's not going to be broke forever, and I'm still finding myself willing to wade through the bullshit to get a few matches in every night.

zap

Playing all of these games just exposes all of my bad habits I've picked up over the past few years. I rarely checked for power weapons on launch night, I still find myself out in the open, or in bad positioning thinking I can sprint or double jump out of it.

This is really the game of the forever for me once it starts working properly, super frustrating, but what can ya do, but wait. Asking for a refund is non sense in my eyes, as I know it's not going to be broke forever, and I'm still finding myself willing to wade through the bullshit to get a few matches in every night.

Agreed. Despite the glitches and long wait times in matchmaking, I still am looking forward to playing some more 60fps OG Halo tonight.

I wonder if custom games don't use dedicated servers because 343 knew that the system for games on dedicated servers was so buggy.

That could be why they didn't announce it until so close to release.

So maybe when they iron out these issues, customs will eventually use dedis too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I won't lie, my first multiplayer game, I pushed down the left thumbstick and expected to sprint. =/

Last night I played four hours of Customs.
1 hour in total was spent looking at the menu screen because setting up a single match took anywhere between 5 mins and 15 mins because:
I personally hardlocked/crashed/dashboarded over a dozen times as did everyone else
At the end of a game it would split up the part, kick some people, crash others
If we did stick together it would randomly change people teams and colours
Each time someone new joined we'd have to explain to them to process of changing team colours
The host sometimes was never be allowed to change team colours
Every time we changed game type there was a strong chance of messing up team colours or random migrating the host - including the possibility of infinitely getting stuck in host migration
We used Party chat because Team only chat doesn't work and the in game chat is messed up
We had to split into 2 parties of 8 because of the 8 person party chat limit
People randomly got kicked out of party chat

But it was worth it. I played more Halo 2 last night than I have ever done (I missed out playing Halo 2 during the hey day) along with some CE with Blood Gulch 2 Flag and Halo 3 High Ground. Some of the best Halo.

I will happily wade through this mess again to play again because it when you get playing, you remember why you like the series in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom