• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

Seems like they are using Halo 3 launch weapon and equipment starts.
Hey 343, there's a reason all the maps were updated in matchmaking (some maps had like 7-10 iterations before the "end of life" for the game).

It's like they started with the base game for all of their settings, rather than the game settings after several years of improvements and refinements.

Rev3rb

This is 100% accurate. Not an excuse, an explanation.

The issue wasn't present during test, something(s) changed and fixing and identifying are the only priority right now.

We already rolled out server side changes that have improved some things and more are coming.

I have gone from being unable to find games to finding them quickly. (home machine)

Is this an update that needs to propagate over time or should all servers have it? Haven't found a game since the update went live.

We've been searching in a group, trying multiple playlists

Agreed, I'm hoping that the Spartan dialog can be turned on and off, cuz I can only see that becoming a big annoyance after my 1th game.

In regards to sprint, I'd rather there be penalties to continual use than a cooldown period where it can't be used (also hoping for a toggle to turn it on or off).

I'm annoyed by the dialogue and I'm on my negative Firth game. Also, please someone photoshop an angry Colin Firth from King's Speech onto a Halo scoreboard.

On sprint: I think the sprinter should pant during sprint and throughout the sprint cool down timer. Would help give away their location if they sprint into an HLG location and go invisible on radar.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Networking issues and servers fucking up is understandable and oftentimes, unpredictable.

That is still no excuse for the many dozens of broken features, missing options, crashes, and other stability and functional issues that are all client side. This build should have never made it into the wild, plain and simple.
Yeah, it's not just networking. This game is broken on almost every level. Lobby system, campaign progress not saving, unlock notifications popping up for stuff that's already unlocked, etc. And then there's basic functionality that's not even there, like transferring party lead to people in your lobby or setting a maximum number of people for a lobby.

Grexeno

Yeah, it's not just networking. This game is broken on almost every level. Lobby system, campaign progress not saving, unlock notifications popping up for stuff that's already unlocked, etc. And then there's basic functionality that's not even there, like transferring party lead to people in your lobby or setting a maximum number of people for a lobby.
I'm going to come out and say it: 343 won't be patching the game in the coming months, they'll be finishing it.

I'm annoyed by the dialogue and I'm on my negative Firth game. Also, please someone photoshop an angry Colin Firth from King's Speech onto a Halo scoreboard.

On sprint: I think the sprinter should pant during sprint and throughout the sprint cool down timer. Would help give away their location if they sprint into an HLG location and go invisible on radar.
Damn, I was saying "wonth" to myself (wonth, twy, fee times a mady), Firth is so much better.

Agreed on the wheezing. That would be amazing.

While it's not exactly a good solution, it is possible under the game options for custom games. MM lobbies, though, idk.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that audio cue was pretty useful in Reach.

So...watching friends trying to get into a game in ANY playlist and it's just not happening for them. Whatever changes were rolled out haven't reached the dark heart of Bregtown.

EDIT FOR:

Yeah, that audio cue was pretty useful in Reach.

Yeah, but I'm talking about extending it all the way through to when they can sprint again (assuming a limit is put on sprint, and again, assuming sprint isn't cut out of the game entirely the way it should be).

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Can anyone from texas verify matchmaking works? T-minus 45 mins till im off work. Im gonna drink myself silly if its still broke.

Impala26

Is there any chance that these issues are somehow linked to the Azure dedis or in the XBL network in general though? Like seriously, rushed deadlines are one thing, but I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that this litany of issues was downright IGNORED by QA.

The "Firth" thing for example. Their demos NEVER showed this crop up once, could it be possible that netcode simply interacted with the game in horrible, unforeseen ways?

FYI: I know virtually nothing about networking. So I apologize beforehand if I sound completely ignorant.

antigoon

This may sound petty or whatever, and it kinda is, but it rubs me the wrong way that as 343 was releasing its buggy and incomplete product to the world, its big wigs were out showing us how amazing halo 5 will be.

Mix

Still not a single match since the patch (Texas)

same... Kinda

I just got matched with 7 other people in H2A but then it told me that there was a connection issue and then it kept me in the voting lobby and started a game where I was by myself and when I left it told me I was being penalized for leaving.

Invite me to a customs match if you want me.

TheXbox

This may sound petty or whatever, and it kinda is, but it rubs me the wrong way that as 343 was releasing its buggy and incomplete product to the world, its big wigs were out showing us how amazing halo 5 will be.
Actually, it's pretty hilarious when you put it like that. No doubt they knew this game was broken weeks ahead of launch. What a love letter. A busted game after half a year of reverent, pandering rhetoric, and meanwhile they're already telling us to sign up for Halo 5.

I know it's not that sinister, but the sleaziness of it all is undeniable.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
there needs to be sounds added to matchmaking as it's going through the stages

i looked down at my PC for a few seconds... looked up and it went from searching to almost done loading without me noticing

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Actually, it's pretty hilarious when you put it like that. No doubt they knew this game was broken weeks ahead of launch. What a love letter. A busted game after half a year of reverent, pandering rhetoric, and meanwhile they're already telling us to sign up for Halo 5.

Mcc is the alpha for halo 5 beta.

In their defense, it looks like they had no idea that this was going to happen. They didn't see the iceberg coming.

Ellis tweeting about how great it is to play Halo2 MM again, on the other hand, that wounds my soul. I'm sealing all my salty tears in an envelope and mailing them to Redmond. #jellis

it really only worked with Halo 2 classic for me. At one point I had found a full set of players, we were locked in...and nothing happened. Some guy said "NO ONE LEAVE" and another said "yea this is my first game, and I've the game since yesterday." A couple minutes pass...and my game freezes.

lol

daedalius

Reach pant is the most annoying sound ever, please no.

Giant metal boots stomping fast and loudly, sure. Spartans wouldn't pant from sprinting, please.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 just has a lot of beeps. I think they are all tied to something. But I could have sworn there is a beep for hitmarkers and a different beep for confirmed kill.

And beeps for nades. And shields. And everything. I'm all for better visual and audio clarity but....

I guess we'll see

Madness

I'm not one to slrp by any means, but come on. This is absurd. If you watch the Halofest activities, when Blair interviews Frank and Dan, they are genuinely excited and happy to have the game out and to go back and start playing. They had no clue it would be like this. They were talking about New Zealand and Australia playing, and just seeing the UK guys come online. No one knew it would be like this since most of the people playing were part of smaller territories initially and because matchmaking wasn't really live.

It's one thing having a few hundred reviewers and devs playing, quite another having at least 1-2 million go on and try to play. I'm angry as hell I can't play, but I'm not foolish enough to think they purposely knew the game would be like this. This is more harmful to them in the long run, which is why they probably have boots to asses at Kirkland and Redmond trying to get this working.

As for Halo 5, what are they supposed to do? The game was somewhat leaked earlier than announcement, and Frank, Dan, Kiki, Bonnie, Josh are senior staff, them being at Halofest has no bearing on whether the game will or will not function. This is just a fact that something has gone horribly wrong and they're having trouble finding out what the problem is.

yodandy

Chicago-GAF. Is matchmaking working yet? I am hoping to actually play after work today. Last night I got into 4 matches in 4 hours. It was fun.

DopeyFish

uhhhhh im playing the laggiest game of halo i ever played

what happened to the dedis? this is definitely P2P.

Halo 5 just has a lot of beeps. I think they are all tied to something. But I could have sworn there is a beep for hitmarkers and a different beep for confirmed kill.

And beeps for nades. And shields. And everything. I'm all for better visual and audio clarity but....

I guess we'll see
Yeah there were way too many beeps. I imagine those are things that can be taken out if there's enough negative feedback durring the beta though.

I guess we'll see

Halo 5 definitely needs its sounds curbed. It's just a bit too much and in that high, cutting range that can be almost cringey at times.

RoKKeR

I guess we'll see
Agreed, kill beeps, headshot beeps, hit marker beeps, way too many beeps.

DopeyFish

just finished that laggy ass game and decided to look at the details

not me... but this screen makes absolutely no sense
IMAG0067_zpsljcnwehv.jpg~original

Akai__

Anybody managed to do the Gold Jump on Guardian? I can't do it and I nailed the jump 99% of the time in Halo 3. :/

DJ Gunner

I'm not one to slrp by any means, but come on. This is absurd. If you watch the Halofest activities, when Blair interviews Frank and Dan, they are genuinely excited and happy to have the game out and to go back and start playing. They had no clue it would be like this. They were talking about New Zealand and Australia playing, and just seeing the UK guys come online. No one knew it would be like this since most of the people playing were part of smaller territories initially and because matchmaking wasn't really live.

It's one thing having a few hundred reviewers and devs playing, quite another having at least 1-2 million go on and try to play. I'm angry as hell I can't play, but I'm not foolish enough to think they purposely knew the game would be like this. This is more harmful to them in the long run, which is why they probably have boots to asses at Kirkland and Redmond trying to get this working.

As for Halo 5, what are they supposed to do? The game was somewhat leaked earlier than announcement, and Frank, Dan, Kiki, Bonnie, Josh are senior staff, them being at Halofest has no bearing on whether the game will or will not function. This is just a fact that something has gone horribly wrong and they're having trouble finding out what the problem is.

Except it's not just matchmaking that's broken. I've had issues where I'll be in one menu, select an option to look at something else and both screens end up overlaying each other with no way out, causing me to hard reset. Saves are broken. Forge is missing entire sections of menu. As far as MM- they should have been able to test how the game assigns players, number of players, and even gametypes/maps before full population. None of that works remotely correctly. Not to mention the complete lack of thought that went into what versions of maps made it into the game to begin with. I realize completely that the faces of 343 had no physical hand in these errors, but they are in charge and this thing went out under their watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom