• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No clue why, but I made my first Forge map tonight. It's simple, and seems like it'll play pretty good for CTF, but who knows!

My floor is still slightly uneven despite me using magnets, couldn't figure that out. I'm sure my symmetrical shit is off, but I felt I lined it up pretty good.

And they say you can't teach an old master trole dog new tricks.

Raide

No clue why, but I made my first Forge map tonight. It's simple, and seems like it'll play pretty good for CTF, but who knows!

My floor is still slightly uneven despite me using magnets, couldn't figure that out. I'm sure my symmetrical shit is off, but I felt I lined it up pretty good.

Either use a larger object for the floor like the grass plain. Or when you drop the first block, make sure you snap it by editing the location. Everything else should fit in well. Sometimes you actually have to let objects settle before you drop them in place. Just try to jiggle the block up and down and see if it aligns correctly.

Also, some blocks are just too damn uneven. SA have still not figured this one out lol.

-Ryn

Banned
So who else here has seen K-PAX?

Yeah that strategy actually worked in the end :/
tumblr_n32msdfNnB1rp8gz7o1_500.gif

Nice goin' bro

Isn't P2 on the H5 Midship an entire room now, like one of the bases? Halo will never have great maps as long as they are designed around Sprint.
Little hyperbolic don't ya think?

Ramirez

It's really cool to see how much people are able to do with H2A's Forge.
Nice job dude.

Thanks.

I see this bug has returned. I'm gonna take a gander and assume that the Halo 4 trick still works. Not sure you'll have the patience or motivation to do this, but here's a quick tut for the Halo 4 method of making flat floor.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49228911&postcount=646

Vince.gif

It's no where near bad enough to make me want to go through all of that. :/

Either use a larger object for the floor like the grass plain. Or when you drop the first block, make sure you snap it by editing the location. Everything else should fit in well. Sometimes you actually have to let objects settle before you drop them in place. Just try to jiggle the block up and down and see if it aligns correctly.

Also, some blocks are just too damn uneven. SA have still not figured this one out lol.

So the grass is an actual floor, huh? I found it AFTER I had laid down all of the tiles and thought it was just a texture you could apply to blocks, lol. Damnit.

The only real issue with the map is the canyons I placed around it, I did a pretty terrible job of making them the same all around the map. It wouldn't take long to redo though, those walls are pretty big.

What?

Explain me why ...

Haven as an example is one of the best Halo maps.

For starters, everything becomes long hallways to compensate for Sprint.

Looking at Haven specifically, on why it is not a good map, is the lack of interplay between the two floors. The first and second floors may as well be two separate maps. Compare this to Warlock where players can easily engage, and quickly move between, levels and you'll start to see why some consider Haven a generic boring map with little depth.

klodeckel

Banned
Haven is only good in comparison to all the other maps in H4.

Otherwise, very meh.

No. Really can't agree on this one. The map has some very good implemented high risk/high reward skill jumps, the overall map designs and astethics are very clean and transparent and there are good controlling positions. The two levels are also implemented very well. Honestly, the map fits perfectly to Halo. I agree that H4 did not have much good maps - but this one definitely was good. Not only "H4 good" - but "Halo good".

infinity-map-haven.png

The map can not show its full potential because of the Halo 4 gameplay (no weapon/map control). But this is a problem caused by Halo 4 - and not by the map.

Unfair teams is such a huge factor it is ridiculous. 4v5 is nearly impossible to win unless the other team has at least two or three scrubs. Which rarely happens. This games idea of balanced teams is one good player and three scrubs against five OK players. Yeah, that's totally fair. I just love losing every other game not because I play bad but because this fucking game can't figure its shit out.

Fun fact: Haven was actually bigger in its original showcases. The easiest example is halo4brstartsconanslayercueheadshotplusten.gif. Either Haven was larger or the player bipeds were smaller - indicating that for whatever reason, possibly due to a lowered movement speed or a change in mechanics, Haven had to be scaled down to properly account for movement.

Maybe it's just because it's a placeholder animation, but I also feel like the Halo 5: Guardians Beta's sprinting animation (first-person one) is keyframed to either wider strides or a faster movement speed. As-is it looks like the Spartan's bobbing their arms out-of-sync with their rate of movement.

Another thing about Haven is the lack of vertical variance. The entire map consists of two pretty much flat levels. Look at how Narrows uses curvature to block sightlines and add vertical variance so you aren't always navigating a flat plane. Look at how Narrows uses multiple ramps to interconnect the top and bottom levels. Haven does neither of these.

matthieuC

Another thing about Haven is the lack of vertical variance. The entire map consists of two pretty much flat levels. Look at how Narrows uses curvature to block sightlines and add vertical variance so you aren't always navigating a flat plane. Look at how Narrows uses multiple ramps to interconnect the top and bottom levels. Haven does neither of these.
Haven compensates for a flat floor by curving the hallways to block sight lines. I'd also say Haven connects the two layers pretty well. There is quite a few ramps up, as well as two lifts.

klodeckel

Banned

Haven has 5 ramps, two lifts, two notches and multiple skill jumps to get on the other floor ... There is enough cover on the floors and there re definitely enough connections between the two levels.

I think the problem people are having with this map is that it is strictly connected to the Halo 4 gameplay mechanisms. Honestly, if this would've been a Halo 3 map with placed power weapons and map control moments, people would think about this map very different.

We have just two different opinions and that's okay :) I don't even say you are wrong, I only want to make clear that I think diifferent here.

Two other decent examples of fan-favorite maps are also Lockout and Midship, which keep elevation as more of a fluid spectrum than individual "levels."

-Ryn

Banned
tumblr_n5bb5oaVCq1qaffebo1_500.gif

A looooong time ago

Got a 3v3 BR slayer match on Zenith. Opposing team was made up of SMG/Carbine scrubs. Needless to say, they got pooped on big time.
Mah man.

I used to watch it all the time way back when.
My roommate hadn't seen it until now. I actually never realized it was based off a book. Or that there's a stinger.

The dongage is real

For starters, everything becomes long hallways to compensate for Sprint.

Looking at Haven specifically, on why it is not a good map, is the lack of interplay between the two floors. The first and second floors may as well be two separate maps. Compare this to Warlock where players can easily engage, and quickly move between, levels and you'll start to see why some consider Haven a generic boring map with little depth.
Maps don't have to be hallways galore for sprint to work in them.
There can also be more interplay between the various levels. Especially now that the thruster pack is a default ability which can allow for all sorts of tricks to get between levels. I'd also like to point out that while sprint may not be very good for smaller maps, it can work wonderfully on larger maps. There's going to be 8 maps in the beta if I recall correctly so let's see what 343 can throw at us. They may not play like maps of old but there can still be greats.

While I didn't dig the aesthetics of Haven either, it was still a pretty good map too. Like Klo said there was a lot of skill jumps and integration between the 2 floors.

Fun fact: Haven was actually bigger in its original showcases. The easiest example is halo4brstartsconanslayercueheadshotplusten.gif. Either Haven was larger or the player bipeds were smaller - indicating that for whatever reason, possibly due to a lowered movement speed or a change in mechanics, Haven had to be scaled down to properly account for movement.

Maybe it's just because it's a placeholder animation, but I also feel like the Halo 5: Guardians Beta's sprinting animation (first-person one) is keyframed to either wider strides or a faster movement speed. As-is it looks like the Spartan's bobbing their arms out-of-sync with their rate of movement.
Interesting, and educational.

The running does look really off. When we saw the Spartan running with a Pistol it wasn't the way they ran that bugged me. It was the way the arms moved and synced (or didn't sync I guess) with the rest of the movement. It all just looks really weird.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
No. Really can't agree on this one. The map has some very good implemented high risk/high reward skill jumps, the overall map designs and astethics are very clean and transparent and there are good controlling positions. The two levels are also implemented very well. Honestly, the map fits perfectly to Halo. I agree that H4 did not have much good maps - but this one definitely was good. Not only "H4 good" - but "Halo good".

The map can not show its full potential because of the Halo 4 gameplay (no weapon/map control). But this is a problem caused by Halo 4 - and not by the map.

Someone should make Haven in H2A Forge to see if this holds up.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. Yes, Haven has ramps that connect the levels...all the way at the furthest edges of the map. On Narrows, I can fluidly move between the top and bottom levels the entire time I am moving across mid. On Haven, I have to deliberately move all the way to the furthest edge of the map and then continue my half marathon on the pointlessly long basement hallways now. I'm not saying the two levels on Haven are not connected at all, I am saying the two levels have very poor interplay between them which leads to boring gameplay.

Hahaha. You took my post from another thread tossed it into another, in attempt for other Halo fans to try and rally support for your cause.

Amazing!
I am trying to rally support for my cause.

My cause is called "let's try and help scrubs not sit in the matchmaking screen for hours at a time"

I could give a squirt of piss what you do. I found it hilarious you wasted that amount of time searching for a game. Masochistic shit right there.

Sanjuro

I am trying to rally support for my cause.

My cause is called "let's try and help scrubs not sit in the matchmaking screen for hours at a time"

I could give a squirt of piss what you do. I found it hilarious you wasted that amount of time searching for a game. Masochistic shit right there.

Why is it your prerogative to join others and berate how I spend my time? No need to keep defending the shield and you clearly care enough to bring your comments to another entire thread.

As for the wait, I've gotten into plenty of decent games with this broken game. I had no reason to think I wouldn't continue to do so.

Why is it your prerogative to join others and berate how I spend my time? No need to keep defending the shield and you clearly care enough to bring your comments to another entire thread.

As for the wait, I've gotten into plenty of decent games with this broken game. I had no reason to think I wouldn't continue to do so.
This is gonna go nowhere. PM me if you really wanna continue this.

TheOddOne

To be fair to Sanjuro, it's kind of shitty to point and laugh behind his back. Would have been better to just confront him directly.

Kind of gives a bad precedent to people who might want to join and interact with this community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59wkXR0dI0A#t=15

Hahaha. I'm really all set, duder. Keep fighting this battle of yours.
You too my friend. Let me know if the matmaking process gets optimised to less than two hours <3
To be fair to Sanjuro, it's kind of shitty to point and laugh behind his back. Would have been better to just confront him directly.

Kind of gives a bad precedent to people who might want to join and interact with this community.

Fair point.

Apologies for making it seem like I was directed at you personally Sanjuro, but the fact people are actually waiting that long for a match seems crazy to me. I was pointing out that people really are waiting that long.

Apologies again if it seemed personal

Sanjuro

EDIT: I read this wrong. My apologies. Need coffeeeeee.

-Ryn

Banned
tumblr_inline_mq5ay5eCeP1qz4rgp.gif

Two other decent examples of fan-favorite maps are also Lockout and Midship, which keep elevation as more of a fluid spectrum than individual "levels."
I think you guys are misunderstanding. Yes, Haven has ramps that connect the levels...all the way at the furthest edges of the map. On Narrows, I can fluidly move between the top and bottom levels the entire time I am moving across mid. On Haven, I have to deliberately move all the way to the furthest edge of the map and then continue my half marathon on the pointlessly long basement hallways now. I'm not saying the two levels on Haven are not connected at all, I am saying the two levels have very poor interplay between them which leads to boring gameplay.
This makes more sense and I can certainly see what you mean. The upper and lower floors do feel disconnected at times. There are the 2 ramps in the middle of the map which are a nice touch but when I think of that map "fluid" isn't they term that comes to mind. It's "varied" imo but not fluid.

Tawpgun

Klodeck, it's been widely accepted that the inclusion of sprint forces maps to be made larger.

Bungie and 343 both admitted to this when designing remakes of halo 1-3 maps.

Make me some cheesy please.

I see Halo 4 with prettier visuals.

That's uh... okay. Definitely not what I'm seeing.

The new energy sword gives me a headache from looking at it. Are they tiring to make a giant blinding sword be the disadvantage to using it? If so its ridiculous.

That's not the new sword, the regular sword is still in. That's the Prophet's Bane, which seems to be a map-specific thing. And honestly, I don't mind the way it looks.

-Ryn

Banned
So from what I can see the ADS on the AR still has bloom but it does also make the reticle a bit smaller which... ehhhhhhhh.
The movement animation of the Spartans (from a 3rd person perspective) looks really fluid.
I didn't notice the weapons seem a bit bigger until now. I kinda like it.

Prophets Bane still looks kinda dumb and the brightness is just blegh. Really hope the classic Sword is still in.

I see Halo 4 with prettier visuals.
You shut your dirty whore mouth!

<3

klodeckel

Banned
Klodeck, it's been widely accepted that the inclusion of sprint forces maps to be made larger.

Bungie and 343 both admitted to this when designing remakes of halo 1-3 maps.
???

Ehm, ... okay ..? What has this to do with Haven not being a good map and where have I said anything against what you just said?

???

Ehm, ... okay ..? What has this to do with Haven not being good and where have I said anything against what you just said?

Because you can't just scale maps up horizontally, to compensate for sprint, and expect them to keep playing well with Halo's mechanics. For example, when maps are horizontally larger, melee is less useful. See how changing how maps are designed has a direct impact on the effectiveness of specific game mechanics?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That's uh... okay. Definitely not what I'm seeing.

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

<3

Shoot...sprint sprint sprint sprint...shoot...sprint sprint sprint....charge...sprint sprint sprint....shoot.

AR melting people, little map control.

Every time I see that map being played I feel like I'm watching the Merry-Go-Round of Reach Zealot or Halo 4 Haven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom