• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Shoot...sprint sprint sprint sprint...shoot...sprint sprint sprint....charge...sprint sprint sprint....shoot.

AR melting people, little map control.

Every time I see that map being played I feel like I'm watching the Merry-Go-Round of Reach Zealot or Halo 4 Haven.
Most of the gameplay we've seen (a good amount of which was from Greenskull who is a pro I guess) hasn't had a lot of sprinting. This dude... he's not a good example. Sprinting around all the time isn't a good strategy (as shown in the video where he gets killed multiple times for it). The AR melts people up close which is a good thing since that's where it's supposed to shine. Though the kill times all around are a little too high. If you're worried about it being OP by comparison though we've also seen from previous videos that the BR wins out at mid range most of the time (and even close range if you're skilled enough).

Players should be rewarded for moving at full speed, by being hard to hit, not punished by having their shields not recharge. The solution is worse than the problem. Sprint cannot work in Halo. Stop trying to put band aids on that massive gash to gameplay.

Ramirez

Most of the gameplay we've seen (a good amount of which was from Greenskull who is a pro I guess) hasn't had a lot of sprinting. This dude... he's not a good example. Sprinting around all the time isn't a good strategy (as shown in the video where he gets killed multiple times for it). The AR melts people up close which is a good thing since that's where it's supposed to shine. Though the kill times all around are a little too high. If you're worried about it being OP by comparison though we've also seen from previous videos that the BR wins out at mid range most of the time (and even close range if you're skilled enough).

Oh, he's a pro alright,

2rB0J9j.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Sprinting around wasn't a good strategy in H4 or Reach either, but god damn did people love to do it everywhere.

Waiting and seeing how it plays out during the beta. My hopes are being kept in check at a very low level.

-Ryn

Banned
Players should be rewarded for moving at full speed, by being hard to hit, not punished by having their shields not recharge. The solution is worse than the problem. Sprint cannot work in Halo. Stop trying to put band aids on that massive gash to gameplay.
There are multiple facets to movement. You have a set of tools at your disposal each with their own trade offs. You get higher speed for momentary loss of your weapons and shield recharge. You have regular movement which keeps a decent pace while also allowing you to shoot. Then you have your thrusters which can be used fairly often to create interesting and intense battles with a quick burst of speed. Sprint can work in Halo. It doesn't need band aids. It needs a diverse set of movement options to complement it. Which 343 seems to be adding.

Oh, he's a pro alright,
ibxhOlGxROYAhg.gif

Sprinting around wasn't a good strategy in H4 or Reach either, but god damn did people love to do it everywhere.

Waiting and seeing how it plays out during the beta. My hopes are being kept in check at a very low level.

That's before it was nerfed, though. Hopefully the changes will help keep Sprint primarily used for long distance travel.

I just noticed, when Steitzer calls "5 minutes remaining" in this video his inflection combined with the post-processing make it sound a lot like the classic Combat Evolved announcements, just at a higher fidelity. I kind of wish they did this with all the announcements.

The only time I feel like medals warrant Steitzer flipping his shit are Killing Sprees and maybe have him start foaming at the mouth a bit and sounding progressively more aggressive / into it as you rack up a chain of multikills.

"you can suck my nipples, nipples on the energy sword"

Other arena shooters don't have sprint in 1th place. They are all about much higher movement speed.

ftfy

I can see how something like rocket jumping affecting your health works because it gives the player new and powerful movement abilities that he doesn't have off spawn but something as simple as running at full speed affecting health? No thank you. I should be able to perform basic actions, like moving at full speed, without it affecting my health.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That's before it was nerfed, though. Hopefully the changes will help keep Sprint primarily used for long distance travel.

And you think that will be enough to stop people from reflexively sprinting everywhere?
My prediction is that it will lead to match chatter being filled with "What the fuck, why don't my shields recharge. This game fucking sucks."

Technically, isn't it all in the visor? So holding up the gun is kind of unnecessary.

But COD kids!! Think of the COD kids!

-Ryn

Banned
And you think that will be enough to stop people from reflexively sprinting everywhere?
My prediction is that it will lead to match chatter being filled with "What the fuck, why don't my shields recharge. This game fucking sucks."
Or ya know... people could learn that they should use sparingly and then get better at the game. I mean that's how we did it in my day anyway.

Agreed. Extremely unintuitive. I would love to hear their lore reasoning for this.

Tawpgun

All 343 hears from you guys is that you want Sprint without penalty.
Unfortunately it's an example of trying to accommodate sprint into a game it doesn't belong in.

Balance wise it's a good decision not to let shields recharge.

Design wise it's stupid, how do you communicate that to players? Seems like it could be frustrating.

Raide

Unfortunately it's an example of trying to accommodate sprint into a game it doesn't belong in.

Design wise it's stupid, how do you communicate that to players? Seems like it could be frustrating.

Have a beta, get players to see if it works. Best way to communicate a change it to get people to try it. Way too many people are calling the end of Halo without even trying it.

-Ryn

Banned
All 343 hears from you guys is that you want Sprint without penalty.
PerfectShot.gif

Well there's the bar at the top that doesn't go down until you stop sprinting and resets if you start again. It seems like a fairly decent way to communicate it. I'd imagine the campaign will point it out as well (not that it will help with the beta).

Ein Bear

I can't get over how good Halo 3 looks in 1080p. It's so nice that I keep getting blown away, hitting the back button to see what it 'originally looked like', then remembering that everything is still just the original assets.

GOAT Halo.

Madness

Would have been interesting to see if this game had been given a full suite of multi-player maps, instead of just 6, what the population would have been like once Halo 5 released.

Would people really choose Halo 5 gameplay on a larger Midship or Halo 2 style gameplay on a near identical Midship but with slight changes Max Hoberman would have wanted to do like he did for Lockout.

So, here's a thought. What if they let us use our weapons while we sprint, in exchange for a flat hit to max shield strength? Like, a sprinting Spartan would take 3 shots from a BR rather than 4 (for instance).

Would have been interesting to see if this game had been given a full suite of multi-player maps, instead of just 6, what the population would have been like once Halo 5 released.

Would people really choose Halo 5 gameplay on a larger Midship or Halo 2 style gameplay on a near identical Midship but with slight changes Max Hoberman would have wanted to do like he did for Lockout.
Depends on the sandbox and settings. If Halo 2 or Halo 3, I'll take what we've seen from Halo 5 any day.

Raide

I am hoping they add some interesting changes to stuff like Oddball or Griffball. Having maps that are more vertical, using the boosters to juke people etc. Make more like an actual sport inside the game instead of a custom mode they threw together.

Also, time to rip CoD:Zombies but with Flood. Shove the lore bollocks. Get that Horde mode in there. Also, Forging Firefight.Do it. Stop pussing out. Give people what they want.

I am hoping they add some interesting changes to stuff like Oddball or Griffball. Having maps that are more vertical, using the boosters to juke people etc. Make more like an actual sport inside the game instead of a custom mode they threw together.

Also, time to rip CoD:Zombies but with Flood. Shove the lore bollocks. Get that Horde mode in there. Also, Forging Firefight.Do it. Stop pussing out. Give people what they want.

343? they're too busy chasing that modern shooter Day one sale.

Halo 5 needs these 2 things:
  1. A Custom Games Browser
  2. An Invasion mode that is both PvE and PvP, so something like 4 Spartans against 4 human-controlled Covenant/Forerunners teamed with AI
Spawning as a Suicide Grunt would be badass. How about a Brute where once you're about to die, you go berserk? Unlimited possibilities to draw in more people outside of just the competitive multiplayer we've seen.

The Flash

Banned
Halo 5 needs these 2 things:
  1. A Custom Games Browser
  2. An Invasion mode that is both PvE and PvP, so something like 4 Spartans against 4 human-controlled Covenant/Forerunners teamed with AI
Spawning as a Suicide Grunt would be badass. How about a Brute where once you're about to die, you go berserk? Unlimited possibilities to draw in more people outside of just the competitive multiplayer we've seen.

Yeah like Beast mode in Gears 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom