• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Oh. I've got 11GB left on my Xbox HDD.

Damn. Haven't even had my console a year. Gonna have to buy an external, I guess

Question is, do the same rules you follow for your computer hard disks apply to the X1? Because having only 11GB of 500GB would start running into severe performance degradation.

I'm at 22.6% with just Sunset and MCC plus two downloadable games, but I was always looking at a 7200RPM USB3 drive anyhow since the internal drives are limited to SATA II speeds.

As for all the talk about faults; I think this is a case where I'm going with Hanlon's razor. They had a deadline, and probably QA got clipped, meaning they legitimately didn't realize that the game would be so broken on release. It's not evil Microsoft mustache-twirling, it's just swiss cheese theory of errors. Hopefully having this happen with such a big title will put some trepidation into their hearts about skimping on future titles.

Tawpgun

I'm running out of space too.

I'd switch to physical to save space but that won't work.

Bones hd space blows. Only way to fix it is to buy an external or uninstall games you don't want to play any time soon.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm running out of space too.

I'd switch to physical to save space but that won't work.

Bones hd space blows. Only way to fix it is to buy an external or uninstall games you don't want to play any time soon.
Doesn't the One come with 500 gigs? If so holy shit that fills up fast. They should've made it come with a terabyte.

Akai__

Doesn't the One come with 500 gigs? If so holy shit that fills up fast. They should've made it come with a terabyte.

Yeah, but you can only use like 360GB of those 500GB. That's like 7 games max.

If games wouldn't come with every language possible and those were made optional downlaods it would save ~ 1.5GB for each language (measured on other games which made languages DLC).

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah the games should be working day one. However given the breadth of the issues with matchmaking, it's unrealistic to think they could have everything fixed within a couple weeks. Does it suck? Yeah. Should you be upset? Of course. You paid for the game. It SHOULD be working. You can't just ignore the scale of the problems though. There's a lot of shit they need to fix with this.
So what would be the appropriate amount of weeks that we should wait for a fix? Three weeks? Four weeks? Given the shitload of issues with the game it's understandable that not everything would be fixed straight away, but matchmaking should've been fixed within the first week at the least. It's been two weeks now and there isn't even a date yet for when they're gonna resolve that issue. You really think it's unreasonable that people are upset that it's still not fixed?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ihq8IKjzeDhfZ.gif
Shoutout to all the butts.

I agree. It's one thing to be bummed that the game doesn't work (which I am, let's not get it confused. I'd LOVE to play this game) but there's been a lot of money poured into this by a ton of people. You, Trasher, Blood, and a few others I know have all bought new Xbones just to play this game.

I can't remember where I saw the number but I'm pretty sure it was over 650,000 physical copies were sold near launch. I don't know how much actually goes back to 343 but at $60 a piece that's a 39,000,000 US dollar total. And they walked away with it with few noticeable changes.

THAT'S my issue.

And they're still pumping out that Queen advert errry night. "We Will, We Will ROCK YOU!" (sort of... well not yet...maybe by the end of the week?...still, go buy it scrubs)

Yeah the games should be working day one. However given the breadth of the issues with matchmaking, it's unrealistic to think they could have everything fixed within a couple weeks. Does it suck? Yeah. Should you be upset? Of course. You paid for the game. It SHOULD be working. You can't just ignore the scale of the problems though. There's a lot of shit they need to fix with this.

So you admit the scale of the problems with this game (HUGE AND OBVIOUS) means it will take an indefinite amount of time to fix? Therefore it should never have been released for public retail.

They knew of many of these problems before release. At the pro tourney they were 'resetting the build' after each game. Today, the retail copy functions similarly; you get a game in MM then you hard reset it to drastically increase your chances of finding another match. Where's the gold certified copy of the game that 343 has that doesn't have all the lobby problems? Because Ozzy and others have tried to LAN the game offline and still have the same issue. Nothing to do with server load.

Yeah um... no.

Microsoft owns 343. They are not equal partners. If 343 said they don't want to put the game out yet because it's got some major issues Microsoft could say tough shit and release it anyway. We don't know what happen but I highly doubt 343 wanted to release a broken game.

Unlike Bungie, 343 cannot exist without MS. They were created in-house to deal with the Halo IP. They are a branch of Microsoft. For all intents and purposes, they are the same thing. If I, or anyone else gives shit to 343 for making a mess, they're giving it to MS too.

As for the names there, it's been known for a while that this game was outsourced to various studios for the port. Now 343 gets to clean up the mess and what's worse is everyone is putting the blame solely on them. That is some grade A bullshit.

Ahhhh, poor, hard done by, little 343. Bottom line is, if it's their name on it, they take the flak. If they couldn't handle MCC and Halo 5 then they shouldn't have commissioned MCC. Alas, they've got to have their killer app out to drive sales of their flagging console. If 343 had released the game in a perfect state you'd be riding them bareback and screaming their name at the climax, not the name of each individual company responsible for each individual component.

I don't even know what your argument is. What I do know is that you remarked

I see there is no shortage of salt

earlier on. That is an insult to people who have paid for a non-functional product. People are salty when their favourite playlist gets removed or they can't mix and match their armour or Cragmire gets voted for. The condemnation you're seeing on these forums isn't 'salt'; it's a sincere and justifiable anger at feeling as though they've been conned out of their money.

I've been relatively soft on the issue so far knowing that sometimes unforeseen technical issues can arise and patience is required. However, at two weeks after launch it lurches from a disappointment to a consumer watchdog issue. And the longer it goes on, the more credence it lends to the notion that it should not have been released on November 11th at all. It's becoming indefensible.

Remember every time the build would have to reset/crashed during pre-release toruneys were handwaved away with "uh uh pre-release build, these things aren't perfect you idiot you don't know anything about game development, wait for release"

lol

Is it safe to run campaign yet. I started my Halo2 legendary run a few days after release but lost my save data.

I did start my Halo 1 legendary run last night, and plan to run through them all again now. Is it just me or does the original Halo 1 look better than the remaster? Especially the outdoor sections of the game. It just looks so much clearer and the colors really stand out. I do prefer the remaster graphics on the indoor sections of the game though. Its a nice balance.

Sephzilla

Remember every time the build would have to reset/crashed during pre-release toruneys were handwaved away with "uh uh pre-release build, these things aren't perfect you idiot you don't know anything about game development, wait for release"

lol

crashes/resets are fairly common in a ton of pre-release builds though.

in hindsight the real red flag in my opinion was the 15GB day one patch. the real reason that it wasn't put on a second disc was simply because the game wasn't even finished when it went gold.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Speaking of full Xbox's, M$ design decision to prevent internal HDD swapping absolutely moronic.

dwells

Yeah, I have no idea why that got the OK from the Xbox higher ups.

So they can make money on bundles with artificially inflated prices and larger hard drives (see the $100 more expensive 1TB CoD bundle, for example). They pulled the same crap with the 360 only taking their proprietary drives which were nothing more than off-the-shelf SATA 2.5" drives with DRM sold at ten times their market value.

klodeckel

Banned
Yep. The Slim was already pretty much perfect in that regard. So many steps backwards.

While I agree in general, the external HDD support is two steps forward tho. Not only it works perfect (and improves loading times), but I can also simply bring the HDD to my cousin and he can copy a digital game on to that HDD within a few minutes. The whole process is kind of perfect and flawless. One on the few XBO features that really just completely works. He has 200 Mbs, I just have a 10 Mbs connection - so the external HDD feature is just amazing for me and better than switching the internal one. Still I understand that for some swapping the internal seems the "cleaner" solution. I bought myself a 2 TB external HDD with a nice black finish and it looks awesome imo. It's cool to simply bring my own games to friends "on the go".

Actually, now that I think about it ... What is the advantage of an internal swap compared to the external feature, which brings so much more possibilities? Only the look?

Granadier

Is there DRM preventing the swap now, or will it just void your warranty since you have to open up the case?

The whole process is kind of perfect and flawless

I found a flaw. It's called having a fucking external HDD dangling off the side/back of my Xbox.

klodeckel

Banned
Why didn't you get a full size hard drive? I think the lifespan and performance of the laptop ones is generally worse.

Because it brings so damn much more mobility and doesn't need external power. One USB cable. Plug it into your XBO - that's it. Just works. Loading times etc. are still better than with the internal one, so all fine there. Bought a good one, so lifespan shouldn't be problem and compareable to 3.5".

IHaveIce

Banned
Because it brings so damn much more mobility and doesn't need external power. One USB cable. Plug it into your XBO - that's it. Just works. Loading times etc. are still better than with the internal one, so all fine there. Bought a good one, so lifespan shouldn't be problem and compareable to 3.5".

What 2.5 HDDs are the best?

Granadier

I bought a 2.5" - just hide it behind your console? 2.5" HDDs are super small ...

The former. And honestly, dude, that's not much of a flaw.

It's an ugly band-aid to fix something that never should have happened in the first place.

Some people enjoy having a clean device without having to plug crap into it to bring functionality into the current day.

/rant

dwells

Is there DRM preventing the swap now, or will it just void your warranty since you have to open up the case?
You can't just drop a new drive in and have it work - there's OS stuff on the drives and it's partitioned in a specific way. There's no support for transferring it over to a new drive, either.

A while back, someone released a script to duplicate the filesystem and everything from your current internal drive onto a new one and then use the extra space to extend the user storage partition. No idea if it still works or if MS detected and blocked it.

Even if it does still work, you'd be voiding your warranty and setting yourself up for a console ban should MS ever feel like it. As the Xbox 360 showed, they'll ban you for just about anything they feel like, including drawing extra power from the motherboard to run some fans to try to prevent their engineering failures from destroying the console.

Why didn't you get a full size hard drive? I think the lifespan and performance of the laptop ones is generally worse.
2.5" drives are more reliable, at least that was what was determined last time this was extensively studied by Fujitsu. 3.5" drives are typically faster and cheaper, though.

willow ve

What 2.5 HDDs are the best?

There isn't really a consensus as to the "best" hard drives. For every person that thinks [insert manufacturer] is the best you'll get 2 people who have failed drives.

That being said I've always used Western Digital mobile drives (I think they call them "my passport" size) and I've never had a problem.

For deals just check Slickdeals - generally there are sales on 1TB portable drives for ~$50 : 2TB for ~$75

here's a search link - http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=portable+drive&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

dwells

Anyone have any "best value" recommendations for External HDD's?
As in, best balance between price/storage/performance?

You're not going to see any sort of real performance differences in this application. Testing has found that even external SSDs don't have much of an impact - there's other bottlenecks at play here.

Buy the cheapest USB 3.0 drive you can find that has the amount of storage you're looking for.

klodeckel

Banned
Can be best buds with the power brick.

The power brick is probably 4x bigger than a 2.5" HDD :O

There is no "best" I think. First, you should decide if you go for

3.5"
+ Better value (more storage for your money)
+ Usually better performance

- External power required
- Rather big

or

2.5"
+ Small and mobile
+ No external power needed
+ Plug and play (one USB cable - ready)

- compared to 3.5" a bit more expensive
- slightly worse performance compared to 3.5" (still better than the internal one)

Then, just browse Amazon a bit ;)

Fuchsdh

While I agree in general, the external HDD support is two steps forward tho. Not only it works perfect (and improves loading times), but I can also simply bring the HDD to my cousin and he can copy a digital game on to that HDD within a few minutes. The whole process is kind of perfect and flawless. One on the few XBO features that really just completely works. He has 200 Mbs, I just have a 10 Mbs connection - so the external HDD feature is just amazing for me and better than switching the internal one. Still I understand that for some swapping the internal seems the "cleaner" solution. I bought myself a 2 TB external HDD with a nice black finish and it looks awesome imo. It's cool to simply bring my own games to friends "on the go".

Actually, now that I think about it ... What is the advantage of an internal swap compared to the external feature, which brings so much more possibilities? Only the look?

Yep. Not to mention, you can void your warranty and swap the internal if you want. It's a trivial upgrade, even with the stuff they've tried to do to prevent it. But an external can be far faster, as opposed to being limited by SATA2 on the PS4 (have they enabled external storage yet?)

Just make sure its rotational speed is 7200RPM. A lot of 2.5" are 5400RPM, and that's going to be as slow as the internal drive.

Each game is around 50GB or more. Plus the OS and other apps. 500GB is paltry.

The OS takes up around 140GB if I remember correctly, leaving you with 360 usable space. Assuming you've downloaded zero additional apps or updates and that each game is 50gb, you could have a maximum of 7 games.

But considering apps, updates, DLC, etc, you're probably getting 5 or 6 games before you need an external.

Not so good.

HTupolev

Does CE pistol have bloom or is the netcode just the worst?
CE pistol has some degree of spread under all circumstances, it also has bloom in MP if you hold down the trigger. It's a weird mechanism; while the trigger is held, bloom increases, while it's released, bloom decreases. So you ideally want to lightly tap the trigger to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom