• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Why don't they bring back physics to the power ups? Plasma rifle stun? That's something that will freshen things up to a large number of people who didn't play CE and will be accepted by the competitive community.

Power ups and weapons should stay where they spawn, so the map designer can actually design the map with their locations in mind. When you can relocate them from across the map you re-introduce the same problems Halo 4 Ordnance did.

To gain a power weapon / power item you need to have to risk yourself to go get it.

Also speaking of Reach it's population counter is broken again.

Sephzilla

I dunno, I honestly think if MCC is still broke by Christmas then Halo, at least as long as 343 has the reigns, will not be a top tier franchise anymore. Everyone talks about how big the Halo franchise is and that because of its size it will still sell well. But because of that huge size, a lot of people are getting exposed to MCCs massive fuck up. And I don't think people will forget it within a year.

Can you imagine what would happen if the Halo 5 beta launches and doesn't work too?

Power ups and weapons should stay where they spawn, so the map designer can actually design the map with their locations in mind. When you can relocate them from across the map you re-introduce the same problems Halo 4 Ordnance did.

To gain a power weapon / power item you need to have to risk yourself to go get it.

If nading things was intentioinally incorporated into the game's design, the areas they could be naded to would also be controlled by the map designer, right?

Welfare

Ordinance was random Power weapon/Power ups, most of which aren't even on the map you're playing on, that you could spawn right in front of you.

Adding physics to those 2 won't make them like ordinance. They constantly spawn in the same location and don't not change what weapon/power up they are, and you take the risk of blowing the weapon/power up towards the enemy or off the map if you don't want to simply walk to them.

Random17

I think even with a flawless MCC, Halo would still be a shadow of its former self.

It's something that we will have to accept; the franchise for whatever reason is probably bleeding more fans than it is taking in. And the old fans don't particularly like many of the stereotypical new fans, either.

MCC sold well in the Anglo American regions but it had average sales in other countries. This is probably no different to 10 years ago; except that the quantity of copies sold is probably less because remakes just aren't as interesting. Word of mouth starts taking effect in the 2nd week as the game drops to 10th.

Power weapons should spawn on the same location every time, but using grenades to have weapons/power ups fly your way was so great.

At 1:13 Ogre 2 uses a grenade to launch the rockets to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyVRE3hLGc

In a 4v4 setting, it would be harder to do it as teams will time the weapons and have two players try and win the power up/rockets and it also depends on the location allowing things to fly.

Welfare

I think even with a flawless MCC, Halo would still be a shadow of its former self.

It's something that we will have to accept; the franchise for whatever reason is probably bleeding more fans than it is taking in. And the old fans don't particularly like many of the stereotypical new fans, either.

MCC sold well in the Anglo American regions but it had average sales in other countries. This is probably no different to 10 years ago; except that the quantity of copies sold is probably less because remakes just aren't as interesting. Word of mouth starts taking effect in the 2nd week as the game drops to 10th.

We don't know how well Halo MCC sold. Don't use chartz as a source of sales info.

FyreWulff

If nading things was intentioinally incorporated into the game's design, the areas they could be naded to would also be controlled by the map designer, right?

So now if I want powerups I have to put the powerup in a cubbyhole to block it being launched, meaning any map with powerup launching blocked also has to have a shotgun/oddball camping spot..

Ordinance was random Power weapon/Power ups, most of which aren't even on the map you're playing on, that you could spawn right in front of you.

Adding physics to those 2 won't make them like ordinance. They constantly spawn in the same location and don't not change what weapon/power up they are, and you take the risk of blowing the weapon/power up towards the enemy or off the map if you don't want to simply walk to them.

The problem with Halo 4 Ordnance is it destroyed the weapon loop. You could stand on the best spot to use a weapon and bring it to you without risking yourself to get it like the designer intended, meaning in Halo 4 the map design and map control stopped mattering. Launching a sniper from the bottom of a hill to a top of the hill has the same effect.

You were able to launch weapons because Halo 1 had a simplistic physics model and because you could launch weapons in campaign. It's really better to think of Halo 1 MP as PvP Campaign more than Multiplayer, since it inherited everything the Campaign had.

Power weapons should spawn on the same location every time, but using grenades to have weapons/power ups fly your way was so great.

In a 4v4 setting, it would be harder to do it as teams will time the weapons and have two players try and win the power up/rockets and it also depends on the location allowing things to fly.

It's a nice trick but I don't think it was ever intended and wasn't brought back for any Halo title afterwards, even though it's technically possible to have happen. You could also grab weapons through floors and walls in Halo 1 which also wasn't intended. Halo 2 had to have a patch to fix it because it was an unintended bug to have that in at Halo 2's launch.

Random17

We don't know how well Halo MCC sold. Don't use chartz as a source of sales info.

Does copies sold even matter? Didn't Halo 4 sell upwards of 8 million copies (I never use Chartz, lol) and have a low population?

A lot of people don't like Halo anymore for whatever reason. Interest in Halo has been decreasing since Reach and that's only because of the rise of Call of Duty and Battlefield. It's no longer the king of the industry but that's only because the hype around Halo 3 was basically unsustainable.

So now if I want powerups I have to put the powerup in a cubbyhole to block it being launched, meaning any map with powerup launching blocked also has to have a shotgun/oddball camping spot..

It's a nice trick but I don't think it was ever intended and wasn't brought back for any Halo title afterwards, even though it's technically possible to have happen. You could also grab weapons through floors and walls in Halo 1 which also wasn't intended, and you could grab them again in Halo 2 (plus objectives) but that was fixed in the big patch.

It doesn't matter if something wasn't intended. They could intentionally add it if it added to the skill of the game without it breaking the competition. It's possible to strike a balance with that mechanic and the map.

Ramirez

You guys worry far, far ,far too much about Halo's popularity. Halo isn't going to lose a sustainable MM community anytime soon, and really, that's all that matters.

Welfare

Does copies sold even matter? Didn't Halo 4 sell upwards of 8 million copies (I never use Chartz, lol) and have a low population?

A lot of people don't like Halo anymore for whatever reason. Interest in Halo has been decreasing since Reach and that's only because of the rise of Call of Duty and Battlefield. It's no longer the king of the industry but that's only because the hype around Halo 3 was basically unsustainable.

Or the fact that Halo tried to become those games (mainly CoD) and fans realized they could go play the better game. Especially in the case of Halo 4 vs Black Ops 2.

You guys worry far, far ,far too much about Halo's popularity. Halo isn't going to lose a sustainable MM community anytime soon, and really, that's all that matters.
Halo_4_box_artwork.png

Ramirez

Or the fact that Halo tried to become those games (mainly CoD) and fans realized they could go play the better game. Especially in the case of Halo 4 vs Black Ops 2.

Halo_4_box_artwork.png

You could boot up Halo 4 right now and find a game though.

Speaking of 4, I'm up to chapter 7 in my Legendary play through. Playing all of the campaigns in rapid succession like this have made me appreciate a few things Halo 4 did. It has pretty great pacing, and utilizes its sandbox well. Out of the 4 games, it & Halo 3 have perfect Legendary settings. There are very few moments where I feel like he game is just flat out cheating, like with Jackal snipers or the insane chain reaction of explosions in CE. The AI is no where near as good as the other 3 games though, and that holds it back from being great. I really like how all of the weapons feel, and I always said, under the bullshit, there was a great foundation in 4. It's not a terrible campaign experience by any stretch of the imagination, and it definitely doesn't even come close to the lows from the other games, mainly found in Halo 2, IMO.

Sephzilla

I guess we are going to find out.

Although the drop off of Halo 4s population should be a reminder that even Halo fans will move on if it's not up to par.

The Flash

Banned
civil_war.gif

I wonder what the returning Covenant weapons are. So far we've seen the Prophet's Bane and plasma grenades. Safe to assume the plasma pistol will return. Carbine probably, would prefer the needle rifle but that's just me. Plasma rifle, storm rifle, plasma repeater? Are we going to have a bunch of Forerunner weapons as well? So many questions.

daedalius

civil_war.gif

I wonder what the returning Covenant weapons are. So far we've seen the Prophet's Bane and plasma grenades. Safe to assume the plasma pistol will return. Carbine probably, would prefer the needle rifle but that's just me. Plasma rifle, storm rifle, plasma repeater? Are we going to have a bunch of Forerunner weapons as well? So many questions.

I hope the plasma rifle returns, I wasn't a fan of the redesigned storm rifle and how similar it looked to the carbine from a distance. Plasma rifle is also very distinct.

FyreWulff

It doesn't matter if something wasn't intended. They could intentionally add it if it added to the skill of the game without it breaking the competition. It's possible to strike a balance with that mechanic and the map.

So assume two perfect teams start the match, lob grenades perfectly, who gets the weapons?

In the normal Halo system, the team that wins the fight wins the goods.

In the Halo 1 system, the gun flies into the skybox, never to be seen again.

Oh, but now I add a power weapon so this doesn't happen, one for each team, and set up so the other one can't be grenaded. Sure, now I'm rewarding skill.. but since I need a certain pace, I also now push the weapon spawn way back to delay getting the weapon. Much like sprint, now I'm stretching the map out to counter the player's ability to ignore the map design.

Part of Halo's THING is map design mattering. It doesn't matter much in games like Call of Duty because everyone starts with their guns, and the guns they want, so the map is more of a backdrop. Map control doesn't matter. It's about building up your streaks rather than real estate.

In Halo, since you have to get your guns off the battlefield, it does matter where they are placed and how far from that place you can pick them up. On Midship, the sword is up high and exposed, so you have to go to the worst place to use it to take it to best place to use it. On Colossus the OS is way out in the middle and in a dead end, meaning you need your team to cover you or the other team can strip it right back off of you before you can wear it back to the base. So you have to control the map, so that you can control the weapons, so that you can control the spawns, so that you can control the game. Part of controlling the map is the weapon loops and staying on top of weapon spawns.

Halo 1 lets you move weapons to better spots without even being near them. Map control matters less because the game basically has no spawn system and the enemy will spawn right next to you. You can completely defeat the readability of the game by reloading weapons on your back. It's a fun multiplayer but it's got so many broken parts that trying to export any single fragment of it to engines with better scaffolding isn't going to work out.

BigShow36

So assume two perfect teams start the match, lob grenades perfectly, who gets the weapons?

Oh, but now I add a power weapon so this doesn't happen, one for each team, and set up so the other one can't be grenaded. Sure, now I'm rewarding skill.. but since I need a certain pace, I also now push the weapon spawn way back to delay getting the weapon. Much like sprint, now I'm stretching the map out to counter the player's ability to ignore the map design.

Part of Halo's THING is map design mattering. It doesn't matter much in games like Call of Duty because everyone starts with their guns, and the guns they want, so the map is more of a backdrop. Map control doesn't matter. It's about building up your streaks rather than real estate.

In Halo, since you have to get your guns off the battlefield, it does matter where they are placed and how far from that place you can pick them up. On Midship, the sword is up high and exposed, so you have to go to the worst place to use it to take it to best place to use it. On Colossus the OS is way out in the middle and in a dead end, meaning you need your team to cover you or the other team can strip it right back off of you before you can wear it back to the base. So you have to control the map, so that you can control the weapons, so that you can control the spawns, so that you can control the game. Part of controlling the map is the weapon loops and staying on top of weapon spawns.

Halo 1 lets you move weapons to better spots without even being near them. Map control matters less because the game basically has no spawn system and the enemy will spawn right next to you. You can completely defeat the readability of the game by reloading weapons on your back. It's a fun multiplayer but it's got so many broken parts that trying to export any single fragment of it to engines with better scaffolding isn't going to work out.

Spoken like someone who has a very basic grasp of Halo CE, but absolutely no understanding of how the game actually works. I'd say more, but lol mobile.

civil_war.gif

tumblr_inline_nfixuyxSTZ1rbsvs7.jpg

Madness

I disagree. This game was charting higher than many other games. And it would have outsold all other first party games released almost combined. Those countries basically make up the majority of the industry. If Halo sells well in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Mexico and Germany that's pretty much most of the dominant markets.

Additionally, Halo is a mature series now. Going into the latter part of its second decade. It's inevitable it won't reach the heights at its pinnacle, just like Zelda will never again reach the status of Ocarina of Time.

I still don't know how people say Battlefield is a bigger series than Halo. Halo dwarfs it in everything except the fact one is a first party and the other is a multiplatform available on like six consoles.

This game singlehandedly sold other Xbox One bundles. Just look here, how many of us went and got consoles just to play this game. Halo was almost back.

Random17

Back but not back to its original form. My point is that our expectations are based on the time of 3-Reach but that will probably never be reached again. There's definitely been some major improvements in the last 4 years but the peak of the franchise's popularity has long passed, IMO.

Halo started its slow death when halo 2 got rid of the appropriately powerful shotgun, hard to use sniper, powerful grenades, and the awesome equalizing pistol.

I love halo 2, but honestly if it wasn't for the button combos I wouldn't like it as much.

Halo 3 went on an even worse direction with the crappy equipment and slow movement speed. Without combos it became a melee spam game unless it BR starts.

Halo 5 has lost its identity. They want a "new way to play Halo." That automatically tells us we will be disappointed.

When Halo 1 works and has a dedicated playlist I won't play halo 5 primarily. I will get it for story.

Edit: if Ragnarok Flames taught me anything it is definitely that being a halo fan is a fun yet ultimately disappointing hobby.

Random17

Halo started its slow death when halo 2 got rid of the appropriately powerful shotgun, hard to use sniper, powerful grenades, and the awesome equalizing pistol.

I love halo 2, but honestly if it wasn't for the button combos I wouldn't like it as much.

Halo 3 went on an even worse direction with the crappy equipment and slow movement speed. Without combos it became a melee spam game unless it BR starts.

Halo 5 has lost its identity. They want a "new way to pay Halo." That automatically tells us we will be disappointed.

When Halo 1 works and has a dedicated playlist I won't pay halo 5 primarily. I will get it for story.

Now this is something I completely disagree with. The vast majority of players will not drop a franchise over a bunch of random weapon balance changes that you mentioned. That's incredible hyperbole.

Halo 3 is probably my least favorite game but the Halo 2-Reach era is still unsurpassed. That was the franchise's peak.

Nowise10

Halo 5 has lost its identity. They want a "new way to play Halo." That automatically tells us we will be disappointed.

When Halo 1 works and has a dedicated playlist I won't play halo 5 primarily. I will get it for story.

Edit: if Ragnarok Flames taught me anything it is definitely that being a halo fan is a fun yet ultimately disappointing hobby.

I really don't think you guys should be playing Halo if you haven't enjoyed it in 10 years.

Now this is something I completely disagree with. The vast majority of players will not drop a franchise over a bunch of random weapon balance changes that you mentioned. That's incredible hyperbole.

Halo 3 is probably my least favorite game but the Halo 2-Reach era is still unsurpassed. That was the franchise's peak.

And that's fine and I ultimately understand. However, if you talk to most pros they want Halo 1 or 2 to return. Not that pros are oracles of all wisdom and truth, but they spend a ton of time with it in an ultra detail oriented fashion.

The vast majority won't care. That in my opinion is the reason why Halo and other entertainment media and even government sucks. People just don't pay attention and don't care.

Of course people are entitled to their opinions but in general most people are opposed to genuine challenge and learning curve.

Madness

Back but not back to its original form. My point is that our expectations are based on the time of 3-Reach but that will probably never be reached again. There's definitely been some major improvements in the last 4 years but the peak of the franchise's popularity has long passed, IMO.

Of course. Anything that becomes hyper popular will eventually decline. I'd say the time for Halo 2 and Halo 3 was the pinnacle of Halo and it's success. The peak has long passed, just like it has for tons of other titles. The point being though, this was a chance to unite a decade long group of fans together in a collection and rejuvenate the fanbase. In the end, we're even worse off now than we were before MCC was announced.

The franchise peaked with the halo trilogy (and ODST) when they didn't need gimmicks and bullshit to compete with the flavor of the month fps. Now halo just takes design cues from the flavor of the month shooters. And still lags behind because the audience they are trying to cater to will go back to the games they like and not a jack of all trades master of none "Halo" game. Case in point is Halo 4's population drop. Faster drop off than any of the other online Halos.

I really don't think you guys should be playing Halo if you haven't enjoyed it in 10 years.

I still enjoy it, but the reasons why I enjoy it has evolved or degraded.

I'm still gonna buy Halo 5 because ultimately I enjoy the grenade, melee and shield management more than other options out there.

Those things definitely don't make the game a great Halo game in and of itself, but it still appeals to me even when it's an unbalanced shit show.

The franchise peaked with the halo trilogy (and ODST) when they didn't need gimmicks and bullshit to compete with the flavor of the month fps. Now halo just takes design cues from the flavor of the month shooters. And still lags behind because the audience they are trying to cater to will go back to the games they like and not a jack of all trades master of none "Halo" game. Case in point is Halo 4's population drop. Faster drop off than any of the other online Halos.

Glad you are back btw. Glad you have toned down the harshness and I appreciate that.

If Halo 5 doesn't have a great competetive scene and gameplay I will probably stop being a halo fan.

Maybe I will just go back to counter strike.

Booshka

None of this plays out in matches like your post outlines. Setting up nade tricks off spawn at the start of the game doesn't happen every game, and it sure as hell isn't going to decide the overall tone of the game. Gaining dominant map control, controlling spawns and cycling powerups and powerweapons is going to win games.

In 2v2 Spawns are completely under your control, you can force random spawns, or stay still and get your teammate to spawn near you, you can place yourself in corners and elevated areas to force a spawn on higher levels. You can force the opposing team to spawn in a certain area, and spawn trap them, so long as you let one player live long enough to spawn his teammate, and hope he doesn't force a random spawn.

Using Halo 2 to argue power weapons is laughable, since that spawning system is a joke, it's not a set timer, one team can exploit it, hold power weapons, and completely stall map movement.
Spoken like someone who has a very basic grasp of Halo CE, but absolutely no understanding of how the game actually works. I'd say more, but lol mobile.
There is plenty more to say, but I can't be bothered either.

None of this plays out in matches like your post outlines. Setting up nade tricks off spawn at the start of the game doesn't happen every game, and it sure as hell isn't going to decide the overall tone of the game. Gaining dominant map control, controlling spawns and cycling powerups and powerweapons is going to win games.

In 2v2 Spawns are completely under your control, you can force random spawns, or stay still and get your teammate to spawn near you, you can place yourself in corners and elevated areas to force a spawn on higher levels. You can force the opposing team to spawn in a certain area, and spawn trap them, so long as you let one player live long enough to spawn his teammate, and hope he doesn't force a random spawn.

Using Halo 2 to argue power weapons is laughable, since that spawning system is a joke, it's not a set timer, one team can exploit it, hold power weapons, and completely stall map movement.

There is plenty more to say, but I can't be bothered either.

Hire him 343 . He speaks truth.

Halo 2 SMG starts is the worst Halo in existence.

I can't believe I still have to play this shit in 2014.

Nope, Plasma rifle starts on the Covi maps is even worse. Though SMG is awful, especially with uneven teams with MM in its current state. Down a guy, the other team controls the map and you have no chance to get back into the game when you spawn with a pea shooter that shoots two feet.

FyreWulff

I feel like the effort wasn't put to change these things. Not so much a decision, more a lack of. That's why we have Snowbound instead of Boundless, no updated BR in Halo 4, etc...

This is pretty much what happened. They didn't specifically put anything back.. they just gave each studio the last base stable branch of each game and had them port it. They didn't have anyone also give them the last matchmaking state of each game, or consult anyone on what the maps should be like now.

Halo 2 technically shouldn't even have PR start on Covy maps now since a late game MM update forced SMG as the starting weapon in all gametypes that had non-BR starts, instead of 'map default', let along SMG starts at all.

It's just a cold, to the numbers port, there's no actual 'care'* put it into at all. No historical or documentary like quality to it, in either the game content or any actual docu/history material included with the game. You'd expect something closer to a Criterion Collection release.

And all it would have taken is sitting someone down for like, 2 hours, and have them write down what state each game should be in. I could have re-Forged all the 3 and 4 variants within a couple of days.

*care in this case means like a fan porting a game to give to other fans, not 'they just slapped code together'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom