• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Are you trolling, or just challenged? Please explain why you're fine with the launch of the MCC as it has gone so far. And if you're not fine with how it's gone, then how do you truthfully believe that not thinking "oh I'll just wait for the game to be fixed months after I've spent my money on it" is being entitled?

edit: 343 themselves is saying they owe us, because it's true. Not quite sure who you're even defending with that post. You just come off as smug, which is not what I'm used to from your posts :(

oh boy

eI80aBQ.gif

Netprints

This has probably been mentioned already today but if you fire up halo 3 today you will get an achievement. If you can't you can get it again on december 25th.

-Ryn

Banned
And they're still pumping out that Queen advert errry night. "We Will, We Will ROCK YOU!" (sort of... well not yet...maybe by the end of the week?...still, go buy it scrubs)

So you admit the scale of the problems with this game (HUGE AND OBVIOUS) means it will take an indefinite amount of time to fix? Therefore it should never have been released for public retail. '

I've never said otherwise. I don't think this game should have been released in the state it is. It has been released though and I don't think calling 343 assholes is going to help anything. It obviously doesn't make anyone feel better because everybody is still pissed off.

They knew of many of these problems before release. At the pro tourney they were 'resetting the build' after each game. Today, the retail copy functions similarly; you get a game in MM then you hard reset it to drastically increase your chances of finding another match. Where's the gold certified copy of the game that 343 has that doesn't have all the lobby problems? Because Ozzy and others have tried to LAN the game offline and still have the same issue. Nothing to do with server load.

I don't have an answer for that and nobody will until we get the post mortem from Frankie. Until then we're waiting on it because the release wasn't delayed.

Unlike Bungie, 343 cannot exist without MS. They were created in-house to deal with the Halo IP. They are a branch of Microsoft. For all intents and purposes, they are the same thing. If I, or anyone else gives shit to 343 for making a mess, they're giving it to MS too.

No they are not. Most every complaint specifies 343. I've seen Microsoft mentioned offhandedly maybe a couple times but I'd argue that to most people, Microsoft is a separate entity. Hell most people I've talked to don't even realize 343 was created by Microsoft. I've had to explain how it was created many times. And these are Halo players.
The people here KNOW how they were created though and all the shit being thrown is being thrown at 343. Not Microsoft. There is a destinction. One is a game dev and the other is a publisher with control over when the game will release. If Microsoft wanted to wait they could've. If 343 wanted to wait they had to get the okay from Microsoft. I don't think 343 would've gone through all the trouble to help craft this love letter just to knowingly screw it to hell.

Ahhhh, poor, hard done by, little 343. Bottom line is, if it's their name on it, they take the flak. If they couldn't handle MCC and Halo 5 then they shouldn't have commissioned MCC. Alas, they've got to have their killer app out to drive sales of their flagging console. If 343 had released the game in a perfect state you'd be riding them bareback and screaming their name at the climax, not the name of each individual company responsible for each individual component.

I don't even know what your argument is. What I do know is that you remarked

Oh that's cute.
Yeah it's their name on it. You and everyone here know however there are more studios than them who went into making the damn game. If you are going to be pissed off, don't just get pissed at 343. Yeah they have to deal with the flak and that's just how it is. However people don't have to be dicks. Yeah I'm disappointed. Everybody is disappointed. We can all agree that 343, Microsoft, and the rest of the studios fucked up.
Yeah I'd probably just ignore the other studios entirely and give all the love to 343.
/s

My argument is that we should cut the shit.
Be upset. Be pissed off. Complain. That's all fine. However TRY to keep things in perspective and avoid going on hyperbolic rants about how shit 343 is. I'm frankly amazed some of the people at 343 still come to this thread during shit storms (or even at ALL). You can be pissed off and not spill bile.

earlier on. That is an insult to people who have paid for a non-functional product. People are salty when their favourite playlist gets removed or they can't mix and match their armour or Cragmire gets voted for. The condemnation you're seeing on these forums isn't 'salt'; it's a sincere and justifiable anger at feeling as though they've been conned out of their money.

I've been relatively soft on the issue so far knowing that sometimes unforeseen technical issues can arise and patience is required. However, at two weeks after launch it lurches from a disappointment to a consumer watchdog issue. And the longer it goes on, the more credence it lends to the notion that it should not have been released on November 11th at all. It's becoming indefensible.

From my understanding of the word, 'salt' is cynicism. It's getting pissed. It's getting upset. I've seen people use it here in both the rough times and the light times. So don't try telling me that suddenly I am "insulting" people. That was never my intention and if you interpreted it that was I apologize, but I am hardly the first to use it in such a context.

As I've said before, the game shouldn't have been released. Hell maybe there should have been a beta for the servers to be playtested. There is NO debate on this. As stated earlier though, it was released. We could go on about the "shoulda coulda woulda" and if you do then I don't blame you. However I don't know what you expected when we had already documented a lot of the issues within the first week. It doesn't matter how soft you were on the game for the first 2. You should try to keep your expectations in check or yeah, you'll get disappointed. Nobody is being conned out of their money either. There are a lot of people getting full refunds on gaming side as well as here.
Replies in bold

So what would be the appropriate amount of weeks that we should wait for a fix? Three weeks? Four weeks? Given the shitload of issues with the game it's understandable that not everything would be fixed straight away, but matchmaking should've been fixed within the first week at the least. It's been two weeks now and there isn't even a date yet for when they're gonna resolve that issue. You really think it's unreasonable that people are upset that it's still not fixed?
I'd guess this game won't be running "properly" for at least a month.
I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset. Even being upset in the first week is completely justified.

Matchmaking shouldn't have needed to be fixed. The thing is though, there's a lot of problems to be sorted out not only on the multiplayer side, but also the single player side. Not to mention they are working with games ported from 2 different generations being crammed into one package, and making sure they all run together properly.

Each game is around 50GB or more. Plus the OS and other apps. 500GB is paltry.
Yeah, but you can only use like 360GB of those 500GB. That's like 7 games max.

If games wouldn't come with every language possible and those were made optional downlaods it would save ~ 1.5GB for each language (measured on other games which made languages DLC).
That's INSANE.

How do they expect people to work with that? If you want to only download games, 500 gigs isn't going to cut it. Especially not if you only have access to 360 of said gigs. Terabyte hard drive should've been the standard. I really don't see how they though any less in this case was enough. I mean... besides money. Damn I don't want to think of how much One's would've cost if it was a terabyte.

HarbaughBackSlap.gif

Too disappointed for hugs <3

Bonus Clip: Ending a FFA with an aimbot :b
Nice aimbot yo

I understand bro <3

Imagine Flood Versus
Would be cool to incorporate the Flood into that mode. Maybe as a third team or just an alternate gametype in Firefight Versus? The potential is limitless.
NEW Halo 5 GAMEPLAY - [TRUTH] EXCLUSIVE Halo 5: Guardians Beta Gameplay [NO COMMENTARY]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt7vhoe9deY&feature=share

Damnit, the pistol is so strong!!
Sprint is an illusion, movement speed is still too slow. Other than that, gameplay looks pretty fun and the Magnum looks awesome. Finally, but I'm still reserving full judgment until I get my hands on it as Greenskull might just be aiming poorly.

If there's not as much aim assist as previous games, this loadout selection is looking nice. AR/Magnum starts is the best option as long as the Magnum is a legit weapon.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
NEW Halo 5 GAMEPLAY - [TRUTH] EXCLUSIVE Halo 5: Guardians Beta Gameplay [NO COMMENTARY]

Spartan chatter is waaaaaaay too frequent.

The 4-shot pistol will be the preferred on anything without BR/DMR starts. I think it should be lowered to 5 or 6 shot kill.

AR shreds.

The ADS implementation is so atrociously distracting. Notice how much visual clutter there is when you are getting de-scoped and re-scoping in this section.
http://gfycat.com/RapidPersonalAfricanpiedkingfisher

Looks like bloom is in.

edit: All criticisms aside though, I am excited to see how Halo 5 plays. It looks like it has the potential to be really, really good.

Booshka

Spartan chatter is waaaaaaay too frequent.

The 4-shot pistol will be the preferred on anything without BR/DMR starts. I think it should be lowered to 5 or 6 shot kill.

AR shreds.

The ADS implementation is so atrociously distracting. Notice how much visual clutter there is when you are getting de-scoped and re-scoping in this section.
http://gfycat.com/RapidPersonalAfricanpiedkingfisher

Looks like bloom is in.

Ya that descoping ADS DMR is some janky, messy combat, looks gross.

TCKaos

Working on a sort of remake/remix of High Grounds.

1546196_10154988278150647_3039380021227709489_n.jpg

At least, it has the core idea of High Grounds in there. It's being made primarily for Territories and One Bomb/Flag.

I beat Halo 2 Anniversary last night on Legendary. I didn't get the achievement for beating The Great Journey, nor Legendary Anniversary (or any of the other difficulties). I had the game crash on me right when I encounter the banshee in The Great Journey, so it was two and a half playthroughs on that level.

What do I have to do to get my achievements?! :'(

The Flash

Banned
I guess this is a good time as any. Let's talk about what we're okay with in regards to H5 so far.

• Strong pistol
  • Health and shield recharge bars
  • BR and DMR (pick which one you prefer)
  • Thrusters for fast movement
  • The fact that Clamber isn't automatic and has to be initiated by the player
  • Puuuuurfect kill medal
  • Heavy emphasis on power weapons
  • There is a penalty for using sprint (personally i think sprint should drain your shields and it should have to be something that you recharge)

Yes i am. I believe it is a destructive attitude to have. Me me me me. I was wronged. Give me stuff. Me me me me. 343 is working to get the game fixed. I honestly dont believe they owe anyone anything more than that. But they will because theyre cool like that. I know its not a popular opinion but thats the way i feel.

Granadier

I guess this is a good time as any. Let's talk about what we're okay with in regards to H5 so far.

• Strong pistol
  • Puuuuurfect kill medal
  • There is a penalty for using sprint (personally i think sprint should drain your shields and it should have to be something that you recharge)

• Aesthetics. Truth is gorgeous, and that Breakout map, arena sandbox area is superb.
  • An SMG that's worth a damn.
  • Breakout Gamemode -> One life rounds (CS-style)
Yes i am. I believe it is a destructive attitude to have. Me me me me. I was wronged. Give me stuff. Me me me me. 343 is working to get the game fixed. I honestly dont believe they owe anyone anything more than that. But they will because theyre cool like that. I know its not a popular opinion but thats the way i feel.

I agree completely. There is a terrible attitude with some people where they feel that if they are wronged, or if a game isn't up to specs, they deserve to be compensated adequately. But life's not fair.

I dunno, I don't think it's entitlement to ask for a little extra as compensation for the release of a game that was kind of comically broken at launch. But the people who are seriously asking for ports of ODST or Reach are out of their minds. I think 2 or 3 more H2A maps is about the top of the "reasonable" scale, everything above that is too much.

I'm one of the people asking for a port of Reach and ODST, but I don't see it as an actual possibility, just think it would be awesome! Even H2A maps don't seem very realistic, it's going to be free Xbox live gold or something.

That Halo 5 gameplay was pretty good. I know some people don't like the voices, but the spartans actually make map callouts in relation to where they are shooting and they say "Watch your nade spam." When you damage teammates with grenades, which is pretty cool. So if it can be toggled off when you're playing with friends I see it as a neat feature. I also like how at the begining of Slayer it says "Control power weapons to win" I feel like that's really buying into what makes Halo great and it's good to see. Though i don't like that there's an announcement when power weapons are re-spawning, players should have to keep a track of that themselves.

klodeckel

Banned

• Strong pistol
  • Puuuuurfect kill medal

Add

• Lighting (and lighting effects)

to that list and we are good! Seriously, that lighting especially on Truth is just so damn beautiful. It really looks like every minor source of light is reflecting on the players, environment and the first person weapon. I love it. Feels very vibrant and not put-on, like Spartans felt in any Halo title before.

-Ryn

Banned

Gameplay looks really good.

Some things I noticed:
Kill cam now tracks grenades
DMR seems really hard to use
Spartans seem to call out when grenades are being spammed

Working on a sort of remake/remix of High Grounds.

1546196_10154988278150647_3039380021227709489_n.jpg

At least, it has the core idea of High Grounds in there. It's being made primarily for Territories and One Bomb/Flag.
Looks great so far dude. Count me in if there is ever a playtest.

• Strong pistol
  • Puuuuurfect kill medal
  • Aesthetics. Truth is gorgeous, and that Breakout map, arena sandbox area is superb.
  • An SMG that's worth a damn.
  • Breakout Gamemode -> One life rounds (CS-style)

I agree completely. There is a terrible attitude with some people where they feel that if they are wronged, or if a game isn't up to specs, they deserve to be compensated adequately. But life's not fair.
Add

• Lighting (and lighting effects)

to that list and we are good! Seriously, that lighting especially on Truth is just so damn beautiful. It really looks like every minor source of light is reflecting on the players, environment and the first person weapon. I love it. Feels very vibrant and not put-on, like Spartans felt in any Halo title before.

• Strong Competetive Focus
  • Tier System
  • Automatic Weapons are viable again
  • De scope
  • Much lower aim assist (not confirmed yet)
  • Equal Starts
  • No ordinance
  • No AA's
  • Changes adding to the core gameplay instead of fluff
  • Grenade indicators are out
  • Kool Armorz
  • Emphasis on Map traversal
  • Emphasis on map control
  • In game Spartan call outs (though hopefully this can be turned off)

Well said dude

The DMR might be in Truth just for weapon balancing purposes for the beta, but I feel it should be regulated to BTB maps, doesn't seem very fitting even with the increased size of this Midship remake. Hopefully it's replaced by carbines on Truth and hopefully Carbines are actually useful/have a purpose.

Gameplay looks really good.

Some things I noticed:
Kill cam now tracks grenades
DMR seems really hard to use
Spartans seem to call out when grenades are being spammed.
As a major DMR lover, I'm fine with that. People seem to feel it's OP and were even saying make it a Power Weapon (oh God no). If there's a learning curve, I can manage.

Wow. Are you trolling, or just challenged? Please explain why you're fine with the launch of the MCC as it has gone so far. And if you're not fine with how it's gone, then how do you truthfully believe that not thinking "oh I'll just wait for the game to be fixed months after I've spent my money on it" is being entitled?

edit: 343 themselves is saying they owe us, because it's true. Not quite sure who you're even defending with that post. You just come off as smug, which is not what I'm used to from your posts :(
I have some explaining to do.
Its not so much that im happy with the way the game launched. It was bad and i get that. I just dont like waving a pitch fork at people either. Not trying to be smug i promise. Im trying to be grounded and accept failures on occasion without expecting a bunch of compensation, especially if the company behind the product doesnt have a history of screw ups. However, I shouldnt be throwing around the entitled label at everyone. That was wrong, and i apologize to all of you for that. Ill keep it on the DL.

Edit:
You're a good guy DM, but no one here is entitled in this case.
you speak the truth. Thanks for the kind reproval.

Madness

Large Midship map, slow base movement, fast sprint so that Greenskull is sprinting 90 percent of the time everywhere.

Coupled with the new no shield recharge during sprint, you're either forced to move slow and get health back or sprint with no shields.

Or, here's a radical idea, bear with me. They up the base movement significantly, so that you are moving pretty fast, and remove sprint entirely and shields recharge normally as they did in the past games. You wouldn't need the map so big either.

Ramirez

Too early to call obviously, but it's nice to see the DMR not destroying everyone and everything in its path.

I noticed this while playing Halo 4's campaign (not sure if it's the same in MP, honestly can't remember), but the majority of your outer vision is completely cluttered and not visible while zoomed in. It's very similar to what we have here, in that you can basically only see what's around you in that small circle of zoom. I honestly believe it could be a decent way of making the DMR not as powerful, since you don't get a big clear zoomed in picture to pick your targets off.

I guess I'd prefer it just use the old system, but it's not happening guys, so time to look for the silver linings!

Or, here's a radical idea, bear with me. They up the base movement significantly, so that you are moving pretty fast, and remove sprint entirely and shields recharge normally as they did in the past games. You wouldn't need the map so big either.

Heresy! That would never work. Everybody knows that sprint is always a good thing since all hames gave it now. And what's even better is now people will get shot, sprint to escape without knowing their shields won't recharge, and then die quickly, thus making the game even more fast paced.

Duh.

Fuchsdh

• Strong pistol
  • Puuuuurfect kill medal

I would add that I really appreciate the faster weapon switch times. I always ran with Dexterity as a tac package in Halo 4 because I loved how fast you could shuffle your weapons. It looks like they've definitely boosted the speed, hopefully it's not uniform though (makes sense from a balancing standpoint slowing your ability to switch to a power weapon slightly.)

jelly

After watching a few videos, Base movement speed is too slow, likely because sprint is included which was my worry. Needs increased even at the expense of sprint not being that much faster. Far too much short sprinting when it could be avoided for the most part.

Rest of the game is looking pretty good. I like the call outs, maybe not the voices but always liked what they add to BF,

Madness

I'm calling it now, they'll eventually remove the sprint penalty, because even with it on, people are so conditioned to sprint everywhere, they'll complain that they keep dying and that they don't like shields not recharging. I just don't see it staying when 90 percent of the people mindlessly sprint about.

I'm calling it now, they'll eventually remove the sprint penalty, because even with it on, people are so conditioned to sprint everywhere, they'll complain that they keep dying and that they don't like shields not recharging. I just don't see it staying when 90 percent of the people mindlessly sprint about.
And it'll be another showing of who their new target audience is.

-Ryn

Banned
As a major DMR lover, I'm fine with that. People seem to feel it's OP and were even saying make it a Power Weapon (oh God no). If there's a learning curve, I can manage.
I'm really glad that it seems difficult to use. Having a single shot weapon with good range is great as long as it doesn't just dominate at all ranges.

Too early to call obviously, but it's nice to see the DMR not destroying everyone and everything in its path.

I noticed this while playing Halo 4's campaign (not sure if it's the same in MP, honestly can't remember), but the majority of your outer vision is completely cluttered and not visible while zoomed in. It's very similar to what we have here, in that you can basically only see what's around you in that small circle of zoom. I honestly believe it could be a decent way of making the DMR not as powerful, since you don't get a big clear zoomed in picture to pick your targets off.

I guess I'd prefer it just use the old system, but it's not happening guys, so time to look for the silver linings!
I'm still hoping for a toggle but if it doesn't happen then I can live with the ADS.
Having it obscure your screen does seem like a potential way to balance it though given its nature as a mini sniper. I wonder how battles between a DMR and a Sniper Rifle will go in Halo 5.

After watching a few videos, Base movement speed is too slow, likely because sprint is included which was my worry. Needs increased even at the expense of sprint not being that much faster. Far too much short sprinting when it could be avoided for the most part.

Rest of the game is looking pretty good. I like the call outs, maybe not the voices but always liked what they add to BF,
The base movement could certainly use a boost. You shouldn't have to sprint on "smaller" maps to get around. It should be a tool you use when you are really in a hurry.

Granadier

BF3 chatter would be great.

"I'm getting my shit pushed in here!!"

"Guys, we are losing. Get your fucking shit together!"

HTupolev

Scrub chatter would be great.

"Shit, I'm so far off host!"

"Warthog coming in left side. Or wait no should I call that right side? Wait that's a mongoose. Shit."

Serious or not aside, I don't get Halo's aversion to cussing. It's an M rated title, and I don't need it every other sentence like it was a David Goyer script, but you'd think someone would say "shit" once or twice. I'm guessing it's because despite its rating, Halo still attracts a sizable young audience.

Madness

Team Slayer on epitaph. Shield doors with weapons like grav hammer, shotgun, maulers on map, yikes. Forgot how fun Halo 3 actually was though. Definitely feels and plays slower than I remember but still, everything just feels natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom