• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a function. It adds potential for trick jumps and interesting plays such as jumping off a ledge, boosting back, and then climbing back up (a fake out essentially). It's not a QTE just because it's contextual.

So you are saying I could endlessly keep falling off a ledge and then immediately begin climbing back up it? Sounds like some deep gameplay.

If players were meant to make a jump, they would be able to make the jump regardless of the mechanics. Ledge grab is just a layer of flashy, yet ultimately pointless, animations in between the player and actual gameplay. Cutscenes belong in campaign, not in my jumps. Or did you like QTEs pulling you out of gameplay in Halo 4?

So... we're ignoring that both jumping and crouch jumping are mechanics now. Interesting.

-Ryn

Banned
So you are saying I could endlessly keep falling off a ledge and then immediately begin climbing back up it? Sounds like some deep gameplay.
Yeah just like you could endlessly juggle the flag. Such deep. Much gameplay.

It's a tool. Just like everything else you have. It's not automatic. It's not a get out of jail card (though the hold to climb thing is annoying). And if you tried the tactic I just mentioned right after doing it once you would just fall off because the thrusters have a cool down. The abilities seem to compliment each other and figuring out the best way to use them in tandem could widen the skill gap.

Halo 5 pistol sounds like the Covie Carbine
I can't unhear this

This is Halo, not SSBM.
So that means we can't introduce new gameplay mechanics because another game uses a similar one?

Yeah just like you could endlessly juggle the flag. Such deep. Much gameplay.

It's a tool. Just like everything else you have. It's not automatic. It's not a get out of jail card (though the hold to climb thing is annoying). And if you tried the tactic I just mentioned right after doing it once you would just fall off because the thrusters have a cool down. The abilities seem to compliment each other and figuring out the best way to use them in tandem could widen the skill gap.

Are you telling me that ledge grabbing has a cooldown after using it? Because that would be strange since basic movement abilities like run, jump, and crouch don't have any noticeable cooldown periods after use. Because if they did, it would really hinder and slow down gameplay right?

-Ryn

Banned
Are you telling me that ledge grabbing has a cooldown after using it? Because that would be strange since basic movement abilities like run, jump, and crouch don't have any noticeable cooldown periods after use. Because if they did, it would really hinder and slow down gameplay right?
Well it sure is great that it doesn't have one then now isn't it?
However other abilities might need to have a cooldown to discourage spam since that would cheapen gameplay instead now wouldn't it?

So that means we can't introduce new gameplay mechanics because another game uses a similar one?

When the game is a completely different genre, usually gameplay mechanics don't translate well.

The only thing I'm against entirely simply because I despise the controls and logic behind it is ADS. But Halo: Super Smash Parkour ADS Bros with new annoying sound effects doesn't seem appealing to me.

Well it sure is great that it doesn't have one then now isn't it?
However other abilities might need to have a cooldown to discourage spam since that would cheapen gameplay instead now wouldn't it?

So, instead of the simple and elegant crouch jump we are either left with an ability that lets players repeatedly fall off then immediately climb back up ledges or we are left with a movement ability, clamber, that has a cooldown, unlike crouch jump, which is just straight up unintuitive. I don't think either outcome improves gameplay, do you?

I only brought up the idea of my top post for a non-developer mp map. But anything else would be nice. Even a forged map that rewards such actions that aren't so easily to achieve.

So, instead of the simple and elegant crouch jump we are either left with an ability that lets players repeatedly fall off then immediately climb back up ledges or we are left with a movement ability, clamber, that has a cooldown, unlike crouch jump, which is just straight up unintuitive. I don't think either outcome improves gameplay, do you?

Uh... clamber doesn't have a cooldown. Thrusters have a cooldown. You could, in the hypothetical proposed, jump off the ledge, spin around, thrust forward and climb back up. That sounds like a fairly skillful maneuver to me, and something that's not possible under the current movement system. I'd call that a potential improvement, especially if we can get them to axe hold to clamber.

-Ryn

Banned
When the game is a completely different genre, usually gameplay mechanics don't translate well.

The only thing I'm against entirely simply because I despise the controls and logic behind it is ADS. But Halo: Super Smash Parkour ADS Bros with new annoying sound effects doesn't seem appealing to me.
I think that it depends on the game more so than the genre, however sometimes a mechanic in one genre might not work as well in another I agree. I don't think ledge grab is necessarily an example of that though.

There is way too much beeping.
I'm not very ecstatic about ADS either so hopefully a toggle will become available.
I do think that a more in depth movement system would work well in Halo though. Which is why I am baffled that the base movement is so low (yes even taking sprint into account).

Fuchsdh

Can we please just get unfiltered Steitzer? Way more annoying than random spartan chatter.

Agreed. While I understand the motivation for compressing Cortana and the multiplayer voice, it just comes off like you overdid the EQ and ended up with underwater AIs.

Uh... clamber doesn't have a cooldown. Thrusters have a cooldown. You could, in the hypothetical proposed, jump off the ledge, spin around, thrust forward and climb back up. That sounds like a fairly skillful maneuver to me, and something that's not possible under the current movement system. I'd call that a potential improvement, especially if we can get them to axe hold to clamber.

So you can't clamber without thrusting?

So you can't clamber without thrusting?

Ah, I just realized I was assuming that you'd go over the ledge facing forwards; if you backed over the ledge, you would be able to loop it without thrusting since (I'm pretty sure) there isn't any clamber cooldown. Still, not sure why you'd want to. You're pretty vulnerable climbing up.

Madness

Sure wish MCC worked so we could shutup about hypothetical pros and cons of an unreleased game.

Who knew when MCC would release, we'd forget all about medal discussions, the text size of CAPTURE, DEFEND, PROTECT etc. and talk about how it's barely playable with no area of the game immune from bugs/glitches/crashes.

Ah, I just realized I was assuming that you'd go over the ledge facing forwards; if you backed over the ledge, you would be able to loop it without thrusting since (I'm pretty sure) there isn't any clamber cooldown. Still, not sure why you'd want to. You're pretty vulnerable climbing up.

Have you ever got caught up in a firefight and accidentally strafed off a bridge or a ledge? No problem! With ledge grab you can just climb right back up as if you never fucked up and fell off in the first place.

-Ryn

Banned
Clamber (blegh) doesn't have a cooldown. I already said this.
There also seems to be a potential window you have to meet because there are instances where a person started to clamber but failed. Could just be a glitch but I am curious.

Sure wish MCC worked so we could shutup about hypothetical pros and cons of an unreleased game.
Me too. Seeing people go back and forth nitpicking at each other is getting boring.
Personally I don't have the MCC and not many around here seem to play on the 360 anymore. So all I can really do is speculate about stuff or discuss current issues. I apologize if it seems like clutter.

I would much rather be enjoying talk about how kickass something is. Or how cool something that recently happened was.

So you would say no to tripping as a nerf to Sprint?
Didn't see this. Amazing lol

Jrs3000

You can still do crouch jump. Ledge grab isn't automatic, and it's unknown if it can be used as you described but that doesn't like something they'd do of course I could be wrong.

Madness alt?

You can still do crouch jump. Ledge grab isn't automatic, and it's unknown if it can be used as you described but that doesn't like something they'd do of course I could be wrong.

Crouch jump being included is irrelevant if there is a climbing mechanic that takes less skill and gives more reward.

The Flash

Banned
I apologize if it seems like clutter.

I would much rather be enjoying talk about how kickass something is. Or how cool something that recently happened was.

Don't sweat it. We're all just trying to pass the time while we wait for things to improve.

Spartan chatter is waaaaaaay too frequent.

The 4-shot pistol will be the preferred on anything without BR/DMR starts. I think it should be lowered to 5 or 6 shot kill.

AR shreds.

The ADS implementation is so atrociously distracting. Notice how much visual clutter there is when you are getting de-scoped and re-scoping in this section.
http://gfycat.com/RapidPersonalAfricanpiedkingfisher

Looks like bloom is in.

edit: All criticisms aside though, I am excited to see how Halo 5 plays. It looks like it has the potential to be really, really good.

Its so bad. They have to remove it.

Have you ever got caught up in a firefight and accidentally strafed off a bridge or a ledge? No problem! With ledge grab you can just climb right back up as if you never fucked up and fell off in the first place.

Only if you a) back directly over it and b) realize what's happening in time to fix it. Dropping off a thin bridge means that the opportunity would probably be gone before you can hit the button.

Also, those are some speedy ass goal posts you're using.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So you would say no to tripping as a nerf to Sprint?

UntidyBraveFanworms.gif

Only if you a) back directly over it and b) realize what's happening in time to fix it. Dropping off a thin bridge means that the opportunity would probably be gone before you can hit the button.

Also, those are some speedy ass goal posts you're using.

Watch the video on that yellow forge map to see how low you can be and still ledge grab.

Halo: Nightfall 3 was also pretty good like Ep 2, the cgi effects still suck though. Ep 2 and 3 are a marked improvement over Ep 1 imo.

Halo: Nightfall 3 was also pretty good like Ep 2, the cgi effects still suck though. Ep 2 and 3 are a marked improvement over Ep 1 imo.

Yeah, episode one really seemed to be held back by the sheer tonnage of groundwork they wanted to lay down with it.

Watch the video on that yellow forge map to see how low you can be and still ledge grab.

Watch one of the matches on Empire for how the window really isn't that big.

Actually, what they might do (if they were clever) is have it so that moving horizontally and downward had smaller windows than moving upward. I could see that working.

But... it's not more rewarding, since you're stuck in an animation as opposed to being able to use your gun.

You think that forcing players to decide between being able to move and being able to fire is a good thing? I sure don't. There's a reason controllers were designed so you could use both analog sticks at once: so you don't always need to move in the same direction that you are aiming. This isn't a 90s arcade on-rails shooter. What is this, House of the Dead?

-Ryn

Banned
Don't sweat it. We're all just trying to pass the time while we wait for things to improve.
Thanks bro. I really can't wait to play with all you guys. Especially since I never played Halo 2 online. The wait is killing me.

Crouch jump being included is irrelevant if there is a climbing mechanic that takes less skill and gives more reward.
If it's still in then no. It is not irrelevant. It is faster and lets you keep your gun up. Certain jumps might require you to use clamber. However others might just require crouch jumping. If you miss maybe you can still save it with a clamber. However if you don't you are rewarded by not having to be momentarily handicapped. Or you could just choose to fall.

You think that forcing players to decide between being able to move and being able to fire is a good thing? I sure don't. There's a reason controllers were designed so you could use both analog sticks at once: so you don't always need to move in the same direction that you are aiming. This isn't a 90s arcade on-rails shooter. What is this, House of the Dead?

But you're not being forced if there's a crouch jump available, since you could use that instead of the clamber. So... either take the "less skilled" route, and clamber, or the "more skilled" route, and crouch jump.

How is this a bad thing?

But you're not being forced if there's a crouch jump available, since you could use that instead of the clamber. So... either take the "less skilled" route, and clamber, or the "more skilled" route, and crouch jump.

How is this a bad thing?

This isn't Tony Hawk. We aren't getting style points for navigating the map. Why would you force a player, who is just trying to move around the map, to lower his weapon in any scenario? How is one player shooting another player who can't shoot back, more skillful than two players battling it out from an even starting point, both of them with their weapons up and ready to fire?

Granadier

How is this a bad thing?

Crouch jump doesn't exist in H5. (unless you can crouch mid air quick without activating ground pound)

This isn't Tony Hawk. We aren't getting style points for navigating the map. Why would you force a player, who is just trying to move around the map, to lower his weapon in any scenario? How is one player shooting another player who can't shoot back, more skillful than two players battling it out from an even starting point, both of them with their weapons up and ready to fire?

Because that player would be able to shoot back, if they hadn't messed up the jump. Is shooting someone in the back who's not paying attention antiethical to Halo?

Crouch jump doesn't exist in H5.

Do we know that? I know there was some speculation that the existence of ground pound made it impossible, but from what I can tell it only triggers above a certain elevation. Could be a regular crouch before that.

Granadier

Do we know that? I know there was some speculation that the existence of ground pound made it impossible, but from what I can tell it only triggers above a certain elevation. Could be a regular crouch before that.

The controls say "Cround/Ground Pound"

Not sure how they would work in a "only above certain elevation" mechanic since that would be really clunky. Also I seem to remember seeing it activate in one of the videos when the person simply jumped and pushed Crouch.

The controls say "Cround/Ground Pound"

Not sure how they would work in a "only above certain elevation" mechanic since that would be really clunky. Also I seem to remember seeing it activate in one of the videos when the person simply jumped and pushed Crouch.

Hmm. Yeah, that'd throw another wrinkle into it.

Because that player would be able to shoot back, if they hadn't messed up the jump. Is shooting someone in the back who's not paying attention antiethical to Halo?

Sprint and Clamber both remove a players ability to immediately return fire. Why is taking away a player's ability to immediately return fire a good idea? Why do you think that most battles should start with one player getting a free uncontested shot on another player because that other player is stuck in an animation? Were you that kid laying down heavy fire on anyone that got accidentally caught in an assassination animation in reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom