• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone confirm if solo campaign save and quit, then continue works?

I'm at the end of T&R, but my console is offline because I cancelled an update. Need to save and quit, go online, then finish the mission, but I unsure as to whether it'll just drop my progress altogether. :/

IHaveIce

Banned

I'm at the end of T&R, but my console is offline because I cancelled an update. Need to save and quit, go online, then finish the mission, but I unsure as to whether it'll just drop my progress altogether. :/

I wouldn't risk it

It's very risky. I've used it a couple times and been lucky but there is too many reported cases of losing saves to risk not just finishing the level.

Just hit the home button and connect. The game should still stay where you are right? I've often backed out to the home screen and the Xbox keeps my exact progress.

Although I don't understand what the limits are for resuming your game on the Xbox One.

I wouldn't risk it

So my choices are:

1) Save and Quit, run the update, and hope that I can restore the checkpoint.
2) Run the update with the game paused, and hope that I can continue where I left off.

Think I'll go with the latter.

It's very risky. I've used it a couple times and been lucky but there is too many reported cases of losing saves to risk not just finishing the level.

Just hit the home button and connect. The game should still stay where you are right? I've often backed out to the home screen and the Xbox keeps my exact progress.

Although I don't understand what the limits are for resuming your game on the Xbox One.

Well my rage post (#6405) took place after the update started. I switched input on my TV for a while. When I returned it said (console) update failed, and retry provided me with an even larger (2GB) update. I opted to continue offline and was surprised that my game session was still intact.

For what it's worth I've had to replay a couple of levels so far, both from Halo 2.

Delta Halo and Gravemind.

Why does is it seem like Gravemind is giving people a lot of trouble? I've seen a lot of posts about losing progress on that level

tootsi666

I don't know why I keep playing multi. I'm getting matches but 95% of those matches are with US host. I just want to play Halo (almost) lag free :(

I think the only time I ran into a checkpoint reset unintentionally was when I got roflstomped on Uprising in my first Legendary run before I knew about the cliff exploit.

What cliff exploit?

You can run through the first part of the level until you exit the building where 2 brutes and some jackals are. Kill them and jump up onto the cliff to the right above where the next brute shows up on a ghost and cloak as you jump up. Run to the end and jump or grenade-jump (easier) up onto the upper cliff (this is 'outside' the level, and where the doll is located but much further along the upper cliffs). From there, follow it to the right to a cliff ledge where a small black mark is on the ground in classic mode, and crouch down on the black spot to end the level. This is how speed runners get sub-3 minute times on this level. My best time was around 3:30 and I suck at it lol.

Personally, I'd like 343i to reimburse the $60 I spent buying Destiny because this sorry ass game doesn't work correctly.

image.php

Two Betrayals done on legendary. Now just Keyes and The Maw and CEA will be done solo legendary

I'm considering leaving Halo 2 until last 'cause of how much trouble it's gonna give me
Halo 2 solo Legendary isn't quite as bad as I remember it being. The thing to remember in Halo 2 is that you can run past a lot of parts and force a checkpoint. More often than not, the enemies will stay in their respective areas.

I would be more concerned with the achievements for the H2A Legendary run, to be honest. I had to beat The Great Journey (last level) twice to get the achievement for that level to finally pop. Technically three times, as the whole game crashed my Xbox One when I got to the scarab.

Then, to make matters worse, I did not get the achievement for beating the game on Legendary. I had done a run through the level The Arbiter on Easy, after beating it on Legendary, just to try and get a stuck achievement for the terminal to pop. Well, after looking on Halo Waypoint, it had overwrote my Legendary run with my new below-par run on that level. Even though the actual game showed that I had beaten all the levels on Legendary, I had to run through The Arbiter again on Legendary to get the Legendary Anniversary achievement to pop.

So, long story short, keep your level runs on the Legendary difficulty. Only go back to catch things you've missed after you've beat each respective campaign. And check Halo Waypoint for any additional information concerning your runs.

willow ve

Halo 2 solo Legendary isn't quite as bad as I remember it being. The thing to remember in Halo 2 is that you can run past a lot of parts and force a checkpoint. More often than not, the enemies will stay in their respective areas.

I would be more concerned with the achievements for the H2A Legendary run, to be honest. I had to beat The Great Journey (last level) twice to get the achievement for that level to finally pop. Technically three times, as the whole game crashed my Xbox One when I got to the scarab.

Then, to make matters worse, I did not get the achievement for beating the game on Legendary. I had done a run through the level The Arbiter on Easy, after beating it on Legendary, just to try and get a stuck achievement for the terminal to pop. Well, after looking on Halo Waypoint, it had overwrote my Legendary run with my new below-par run on that level. Even though the actual game showed that I had beaten all the levels on Legendary, I had to run through The Arbiter again on Legendary to get the Legendary Anniversary achievement to pop.

So, long story short, keep your level runs on the Legendary difficulty. Only go back to catch things you've missed after you've beat each respective campaign. And check Halo Waypoint for any additional information concerning your runs.

Sounds like BF4 all over again. Had to play that campaign at least 5 times because saves didn't work and/or were corrupted for the first few months. What made it almost unbearable was the cutscenes you couldn't skip. Why force players to watch ever scene on every damn playthrough?

Holy shit at Genesong (Reclaimer remix on H2A OST). Opening strings in tremolo sound Journey as hell, and on top of that the Steve Vai improv guitar shredding is giving me some serious Dangerous Zone vibes.

Fuchsdh

How the heck do you guys have the patience to do legendary in these games again these days? Doing them back in the day was enough, I couldn't imagine doing them again, would just be a torturous chore almost.

I'm getting every damn achievement in this collection. Compared to LASO and speedruns, regular Legendary is pretty simple.

IHaveIce

Banned
Was able to play:
Halo 2A Bloodline
Halo 2A Shrine
Halo 2A Lockout
Halo 3 Highground
Halo 3 Citadel
Halo 2 Foundation

just today now.

Though whoever allowed SMG starts to return needs to be slapped

How the heck do you guys have the patience to do legendary in these games again these days? Doing them back in the day was enough, I couldn't imagine doing them again, would just be a torturous chore almost.
It's the only way I play through Halo campaigns. So, I'm going into these runs already having done it before and knowing what to expect and how to deal with encounters. Halo 4 I've only done once, though, so that one may be a little tricky.

tootsi666

I like to play Halo, not run through them
Heroic is fine for nostalgia trips, but legendary is the real deal

It's the only way I play through Halo campaigns. So, I'm going into these runs already having done it before and knowing what to expect and how to deal with encounters. Halo 4 I've only done once, though, so that one may be a little tricky.

Honestly, I've only run through 4's campaign twice (Normal and then Legendary) and it was the easiest Legendary run I've ever had to do.

Fuchsdh

Cliff thing?

You can jump on the cliffs ringing the level and avoid 60-75% of combat. You can get through the entire thing without firing a shot on lower difficulties, although on Legendary I'm pretty sure you're going to have to stop and engage some of the rooms.

People commenting that the 3hrs time seems impossible haven't seen how many fairly easy grenade jumps can save you whole levels of frustration. It's pretty simple for most of them, if you don't care about shaving off every second of time.

It shouldn't be designed around that of course, however assasinations are an offensive ability to drive home how dad your enemy is.

Dad is an absolute state not subject to gradation. An assassination animation doesn't make an enemy any more or less dad than killing him any other way. I'm not sure what you mean by "drive home HOW DAD your enemy is". How does the inclusion of assassination animations benefit gameplay?

jem0208

Dad is an absolute state not subject to gradation. An assassination animation doesn't make an enemy any more or less dad than killing him any other way. I'm not sure what you mean by "drive home HOW DAD your enemy is". How does the inclusion of assassination animations benefit gameplay?

It's entertaining?

Sometimes I feel like people take these games far, far too seriously. Not everything needs to benefit gameplay, we don't need to strip away any feature which doesn't have a tangible effect on the core gameplay. It's okay to have features which are just for fun. Games are a form of entertainment, and assassinations are entertaining. They're like extended tea-bagging. There's no negative effect from them.

FyreWulff

My favorite part of the Uprising skip is that if you do it correctly, Arbiter's dead body will fall on himself or near him in the cutscene and it'll keep playing.

If you do it incorrectly, his body will fall on himself, but it'll revert to the last checkpoint since it counts the cutscene death as you still playing :p

It's entertaining?

Sometimes I feel like people take these games far, far too seriously. Not everything needs to benefit gameplay, we don't need to strip away any feature which doesn't have a tangible effect on the core gameplay. It's okay to have features which are just for fun. Games are a form of entertainment, and assassinations are entertaining. They're like extended tea-bagging.

Me having to perform an animation every time I want to make a high jump has no tangible effect on gameplay?

Me not being able to move at full speed and fire has no tangible effect on gameplay?

At least assassination animations were somewhat optional, but clamber and sprint are baked right in as core movement mechanics. They will most certainly have a tangible effect on gameplay and I personally think it will be a negative effect because you are removing control from the player by forcing him to watch all these pointless animations, like sprint and clamber, just so he can navigate the map. If I wanted to watch pre scripted animations I would watch campaign cutscenes.

jem0208

Me having to perform an animation every time I want to make a high jump has no tangible effect on gameplay?

Me not being able to move at full speed and fire has no tangible effect on gameplay?

At least assassination animations were somewhat optional, but clamber and sprint are baked right in as core movement mechanics. They will most certainly have a tangible effect on gameplay and I personally think it will be a negative effect because you are removing control from the player by forcing him to watch all these pointless animations, like sprint and clamber, just so he can navigate the map. If I wanted to watch pre scripted animations I would watch campaign cutscenes.

I was talking about assassinations.

Clamber and sprint, sure they're debatable.

I was talking about assassinations.

Clamber and sprint, sure they're debatable.

They are all the same. They take an ability a player could perform in classic Halo and force an animation on it that takes away control from the player.

Backsmack plus pointless animation equals Assassination

Run plus pointless animation equals Sprint

Crouch jump plus pointless animation equals Clamber

Why do we need all these pointless animations removing control from the player? How do these pointless animation improve gameplay?

I don't think clamber is a perfect solution because of the fact that you can't shoot while doing so, but I think it's at least a step in the right direction with 343 adding natural verticality to maps and improving movement options. Just handwave it as your retro-rockets propelling you over whatever thing you clamber across so that you keep your hands free letting you shoot. The guns / grenades / melee thing doesn't exactly work when you have abilities that prevent you from using them.

FyreWulff

I wonder if the system reads intent or just clambers each time you encounter a ledge.

So say if I wanted to drop down a ledge to go under someone walking backwards, does it try to clamber me back up as I fall or does it only do it if I jump up from the ground?

I wonder if the system reads intent or just clambers each time you encounter a ledge.

So say if I wanted to drop down a ledge to go under someone walking backwards, does it try to clamber me back up as I fall or does it only do it if I jump up from the ground?

I think I might be misreading your question, but clamber isn't an automatic function - you have to press your Jump button to initiate the animation, but I'm not sure that it has to say confined to the same button as Jump. The mechanics are kind of like double-jumping in Smash Bros.

FyreWulff

I think I might be misreading your question, but clamber isn't an automatic function - you have to press your Jump button to initiate the animation, but I'm not sure that it has to say confined to the same button as Jump. The mechanics are kind of like double-jumping in Smash Bros.

The Smash Bros analogy I was thinking of was edgehogging/edgehopping

Good to know it's manual (although I thought I saw auto-clamber in the options?) because that would get annoying otherwise.

The Smash Bros analogy I was thinking of was edgehogging/edgehopping

Good to know it's manual (although I thought I saw auto-clamber in the options?) because that would get annoying otherwise.

I didn't know auto-clamber was in the options, but I'd like to assume it's still input-based, where a random unintentional fall won't be subject to auto-clambering. Hit A to jump, and as long as you're still airborne due to said jump, you'll clamber up and over something.

jem0208

They are all the same. They take an ability a player could perform in classic Halo and force an animation on it that takes away control from the player.

Backsmack plus pointless animation equals Assassination

Run plus pointless animation equals Sprint

Crouch jump plus pointless animation equals Clamber

Why do we need all these pointless animations removing control from the player? How do these pointless animation improve gameplay?

How in any way are assassinations bad? They're completely optional and are just a bit of fun. Also it's not pointless, it's designed to be entertaining and for many it succeeds in being so, hence it has a purpose.

And again, why does everything have to have an effect on gameplay? Like I said, games are meant to be fun. Having fun features like assassinations isn't a bad thing.

As for Sprint and Clamber they are very different. They do have a tangible effect on gameplay. However they aren't pointless.

Sprint is a boost in speed with the tradeoff of no shooting. It's not just a pointless animation. Whether or not it's effect is a positive is debatable and not something I can really be bothered to go into again.

Clamber definitely isn't just an animation slapped on top of crouch jump. The increase in height gained from crouch jumping is only very small and was only really useful in situations where you just can't reach a ledge normally. Clamber increases the height you can gain by a large amount, greatly increasing your vertical movement capabilities. It also increases the distance you can jump. In situations where before you would just hit a ledge regardless of crouch jumping or not, now you can climb up. There's also the possibility of new trick jumps with clamber, such as the one Ryn described earlier in the thread where you can jump off a ledge, thrust back then clamber up. Again, whether or not this is a positive is debatable. Personally I quite like what I've seen. The animation is extremely quick and the increased movement capabilities look great.

Auto clamber is in the options. Green skull showed the pause menu /controls

Are you sure that isn't hold to clamber? Basically holding the jump button whilst in the air then climbing when you hit a ledge, rather than hitting clamber just as you hit the ledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom