• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
This isn't Tony Hawk. We aren't getting style points for navigating the map. Why would you force a player, who is just trying to move around the map, to lower his weapon in any scenario? How is one player shooting another player who can't shoot back, more skillful than two players battling it out from an even starting point, both of them with their weapons up and ready to fire?
Personally I would much rather have the option to climb up a ledge if I just barely missed it as opposed to just stupidly falling when I have 2 super soldier hands perfect for climbing. That's an instance in which anybody would lower their weapon on the battlefield. Not every encounter is "Two players enter, the better one leaves". Sometimes one player catches another off gaurd. Sometimes one player isn't looking to fight because they are busy trying to gain a tactical advantage using the map. Maybe. MAYBE. It's a trade off.

You're right. This isn't Tony Hawk. The points you get aren't for style (well... not technically). However every match is made up of a ton of little decisions and maneuvers that make a large impact. If you make the crouch jump, you are rewarded with getting to where you need to go quicker and without having to lower your weapon. If you have to clamber though, it might be because you either missed the crouch jump (in which case you are being punished with a momentary trade off of offensive ability for mobility) or there was a part of the map you were trying to get to that made the momentary trade off worth it.

Sprint and Clamber both remove a players ability to immediately return fire. Why is taking away a player's ability to immediately return fire a good idea? Why do you think that most battles should start with one player getting a free uncontested shot on another player because that other player is stuck in an animation? Were you that kid laying down heavy fire on anyone that got accidentally caught in an assassination animation in reach?

Yes? Because, I mean, that sucks for them, but hell, I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to get some free shots in.

I do think that there's a middle ground here. Letting people cancel out of clamber, for one, would be a good option, especially if (again) there was a crouch jump available. Opening up the movement toolbox is a good thing, IMO; we should be figuring out ways to make it work, not screaming bloody murder and rejecting it wholesale.

Sephzilla

I'm starting to think sensitivity in MCC Halo 3 is screwed up. I'm already playing at a few levels below every other game and it still feels to fast yet if I go a setting lower it's considerably sluggish.

Yes? Because, I mean, that sucks for them, but hell, I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to get some free shots in

No player is going to pass up getting free shots on their enemy. The question is, do you think the game should be designed around mechanics that allow most encounters to begin with one player getting free uncontested shots on an enemy who can't immediately return fire?

-Ryn

Banned
giphy.gif

brb currently lmao
Not joking my sides are killing me. Thank you.

No player is going to pass up getting free shots on their enemy. The question is, do you think the game should be designed around mechanics that allow most encounters to begin with one player getting free uncontested shots on an enemy who can't immediately return fire?
It shouldn't be designed around that of course, however assasinations are an offensive ability to drive home how dad your enemy is.

Clamber is based around moving around the map and sometimes movement will require you to momentarily sacrifice your offensive ability for a better pay off. There are other mobility options based around combat such as the ground pound, thrusters, and shoulder checks which can enhance combat scenarios.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks, I don't want to do the HaloGAF tournament anymore. SORRY. I know this shit always seems to fall apart one way or another, and I hate to contribute to that trend. Someone else should totally do it, though! My interest in gaming has been non-existent lately, and I honestly just don't care enough to put the effort in. Plus the MCC not working has been pretty disappointing, and has me thinking I might as well take this opportunity to totally push games out of my mind and focus on other stuff.

Anyways, you all figure out if want to do a tournament and who you want to organize it. I'd be happy to talk with the people in charge and pass on my plans, if that's helpful. PM me.

Madness

Hey folks, I don't want to do the HaloGAF tournament anymore. SORRY. I know this shit always seems to fall apart one way or another, and I hate to contribute to that trend. Someone else should totally do it, though! My interest in gaming has been non-existent lately, and I honestly just don't care enough to put the effort in. Plus the MCC not working has been pretty disappointing, and has me thinking I might as well take this opportunity to totally push games out of my mind and focus on other stuff.

Anyways, you all figure out if want to do a tournament and who you want to organize it. I'd be happy to talk with the people in charge and pass on my plans, if that's helpful. PM me.

Remember when MCC was supposed to rejuvenate the community and bring people back?

-Ryn

Banned
Yup. There are Spartan call outs for grenade spam. I wonder what needs to happen for it to do that. Have more than 2 grenades within a zone at once?

Nightfall bores me to tears.
We need to get to work on an abridged version. For the people.

Thanks for the heads up. How's everything going dude?
If you don't mind me asking, are you working on some kind of project?

Jrs3000

Any FPS has this situation. Approach a enemy outside of their FOV you get a free shot while they can't immediately return fire at you until they turn and aim at you.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
@BF3 bot talking discussion

That is a 100 times more cringeworthy than what we have in Halo 5 currently.

No thank you.

Just for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDauDMppn6c

This makes me sad.

-Ryn

Banned
I hadn't really noticed it until now but it seems Halo 5 doesn't have player status markers (i.e. yellow for firing, red for taking fire). Really hope that changes.
Though we do have Red X's. So that's a start.

Booshka

Been getting games really quickly tonight but parties are still falling apart. Progress, at least.

Matchmaking isn't broken, it's just forced Solo Queue for player ranking purposes. Once everyone is placed into their appropriate divisions: Cleanser, Donger, Randy, Casual, Scrub, then players will be able to join Matchmaking in parties.

I hadn't really noticed it until now but it seems Halo 5 doesn't have player status markers (i.e. yellow for firing, red for taking fire). Really hope that changes.
Though we do have Red X's. So that's a start.

Probably got replaced by a spartan yelling "I'm engaging the enemy!" Or something along those lines. Then you round the corner and one red spartan is on a knee with a ring. Halo 5 is a weird game.

Halo 5 would look so much better to me if it didn't have sprint and ADS.

sigh
Seem like halo isn't 343's target audience anymore.

We have people arguing that if someone misses a jump we should hold their hand and let them recover with the shitty clamber ability.

What happened to punishing those who made a stupid move? Now its all "participation ribbons and 'hey, don't feel bad that you suck, here are a ton of useless medals'"

E92 M3

Seem like halo isn't 343's target audience anymore.

We have people arguing that if someone misses a jump we should hold their hand and let them recover with the shitty clamber ability.

What happened to punishing those who made a stupid move? Now its all "participation ribbons and 'hey, don't feel bad that you suck, here are a ton of useless medals'"

Yes, the "everyone is a winner" mentality is way too prevalent.

Omni

Two Betrayals done on legendary. Now just Keyes and The Maw and CEA will be done solo legendary

I'm considering leaving Halo 2 until last 'cause of how much trouble it's gonna give me

FyreWulff

Damnit, I was gonna get back to Portland and then borrow your One off you.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SMG starts encourage me to skillfully crouch my way around the map, looking at my motion tracker for nearby enemies that I can strategically plan an assault on. I love taking 5 minutes to thoughtfully plan out and execute a single kill in a Slayer game to 50 kills.

The one true way to play Halo.

Ramirez

SMG starts encourage me to skillfully crouch my way around the map, looking at my motion tracker for nearby enemies that I can strategically plan an assault on. I love taking 5 minutes to thoughtfully plan out and execute a single kill in a Slayer game to 50 kills.

Sounds like a plan.

Booshka

I see each SMG spawn as its own individual challenge. With each life comes a unique Quest, one that demands skillful strategy and execution to acquire the more powerful weapons. SMG spawns provide a real sense of adventure and triumph, whereas spawning with a capable, versatile, utility weapon, only provides a hollow and emotionless sense of accomplishment.

SMG starts are the Dark Souls of Halo.

Omni

Halo CE done on legendary! That warthog run is a little irritating. Kept dying because of random stuff. Like suddenly dying from fall damage when going over that jump at the end. Or running over a grunt and having its weapon explode, flipping my warthog over and killing me. If there were a checkpoint in the middle it would be a little better.

And on that note. Is there an achievement for completing all these campaigns on legendary solo? Or could I do it with friends if I really needed to?

Spartan3PC

Halo CE done on legendary! That warthog run is a little irritating. Kept dying because of random stuff. Like suddenly dying from fall damage when going over that jump at the end. Or running over a grunt and having its weapon explode, flipping my warthog over and killing me. If there were a checkpoint in the middle it would be a little better.

And on that note. Is there an achievement for completing all these campaigns on legendary solo? Or could I do it with friends if I really needed to?

The only solo Legendary achievement is for Halo 4. Just don't do it by playing a campaign playlist. I was screwed out if it :(

Ayo Ram are you staring Halo 4 legendary or you gonna do it at all? I'd like to know hobbit runs.

Anyone feel free to chime in who has played it.

Just finished Halo 3, and all I can keep thinking is I'd like a game playing as the Arbiter, that guy is a G. Chief and Arbiter storming that tower of Flood at the end of Halo 3 was badass. Happy to see him back in Halo 5, I hope he has a big role in the game.

1080/60 has me appreciating that game In a whole new light. I havent played it in years and was pleasantly surprised.

Halo 5 is to Ryn as CE is to Funknown and Halo 4 is to Ozzy.

Madness

How the heck do you guys have the patience to do legendary in these games again these days? Doing them back in the day was enough, I couldn't imagine doing them again, would just be a torturous chore almost.

How the heck do you guys have the patience to do legendary in these games again these days? Doing them back in the day was enough, I couldn't imagine doing them again, would just be a torturous chore almost.
I too though it was gonna be a chore. But 1-3 have been an absolute blast.

Aside from replaying missions due to bugs of course. Just goes to show how good those campaigns were that we are willing to repeat missions twice over.

Omni

Doing the first level of H2 now. Thank god for noob combo.

Slight tangent. Miranda's in game model is fantastic. Looks very close to her CGI self. Johnson looks great too. Makes you wonder what the hell happened to Cortana in-game...

jem0208

TriStateTryHard said:
Damn, aren't you getting tired from trying to move those goalposts so much?

Doing the first level of H2 now. Thank god for noob combo.

Slight tangent. Miranda's in game model is fantastic. Looks very close to her CGI self. Johnson looks great too. Makes you wonder what the hell happened to Cortana in-game...
I think it's because her head is too big.

daedalius

4 tries to get into a rumble match
10 players on shrine, um ok I guess
Loads, ends, match incomplete
Custom game slots stuck on screen, need to quit and restart the game

...smh

Oh hey got matched with people first try that time.

Fuck this console...

Third time doing Truth and Reconciliation.

- First time game crashed towards the end of mission.
- Second time game completed without marking as done.
- Third time console decides it's time for an update right when I get to Keys.

Very helpful! Nice job. I will definitely be looking over this

Kinda nitpicky... But is there a reason why achievement descriptions are above the achievement name? Makes it a bit hard to follow. Though I guess I'll get used to it xD

Basically that's just the format for most of TA's walkthroughs. It's like "If you do X, then you get Y achievement". I think it's mainly that way because the site has its own achievement tiles that are almost like banners when viewed in the walkthrough, so it makes sense to have them after the description leading up to how to obtain them. It kinda brackets that section and lets you know that the information for that achievement is complete at that point.

I could see doing it the other way around and having the achievement tile/banner above the desription for obtaining it, but since most of the WTs I see (and review for WT supervisor duties) use the description - tile format that's just what I tend to use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom