• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because crouching during a jump is such a task.

I'm not gonna lie, the reason why I honestly loved crouch jumping was because it was too obscure for the casual players to grasp or even think to try. Therefore I could exploit their ignorance constantly.

In reality, obscurity is never the best way to convey playing a game. A dedicated button/option to grab a ledge does make sense. The clamber option honestly probably isn't even the best way to make jumps unless you absolutely need it because you can't shoot during the animation.

I still prefer crouch jumping, but I understand why they are adding it from a design standpoint.

-Ryn

Banned
Why don't you whip up a quick montage of all the skill jumps you have perfected from all the years of you not playing the games online?
Came in to the series when Halo 3 was launched breh. Had plenty of "classic" Halo gaming online.
As for skill jumps that strictly require crouching, not that hard to pull off. Sure there are some that certainly take a bit of practice but that's not because crouch jumping is hard. Give me a list of jumps to make on a map and I can probably make them.

I'm pretty sure the last time I legitimately benefited from a crouch jump during map movement was speedrunning in Halo 2. I mean yes, it adds an additional layer of depth to movement, but let's not act like it's equivalent to pulling off quadshots and dancing around enemies making you untouchable here.

Guys, were you aware that only "notable" people get to join NeoGAF?

That's of course ignoring the fact that he's attempted to make accounts more than once, which should have him banned anyway.

Dustin's probably correct, though. I mean, Wahrer's still here somehow.
Pt355pv.gif

I've actually considered getting my handle changed back to Wahrer, but I really love the sub-zero thing now. I wish I ended up getting a "formerly Wahrer" tag, but I don't think I've done anything of enough substance under either handle for people to care.

Caja 117

I'm not gonna lie, the reason why I honestly loved crouch jumping was because it was too obscure for the casual players to grasp or even think to try. Therefore I could exploit their ignorance constantly.

In reality, obscurity is never the best way to convey playing a game. A dedicated button/option to grab a ledge does make sense. The clamber option honestly probably isn't even the best way to make jumps unless you absolutely need it because you can't shoot during the animation.

I still prefer crouch jumping, but I understand why they are adding it from a design standpoint.

Crouch Jumping also do wonders in a 1 v 1 BR fight...

willow ve

I'm pretty sure the last time I legitimately benefited from a crouch jump during map movement was speedrunning in Halo 2. I mean yes, it adds an additional layer of depth to movement, but let's not act like it's equivalent to pulling off quadshots and dancing around enemies making you untouchable here.

Pt355pv.gif

I've actually considered getting my handle changed back to Wahrer, but I really love the sub-zero thing now. I wish I ended up getting a "formerly Wahrer" tag, but I don't think I've done anything of enough substance under either handle for people to care.

I thought you were a Speedy alt.

There are easy ways to prevent things like that. Those Bungie tips that would pop up while you were searching for example.

"Hey, did you know that holding crouch at the peak of your jump gives you a slight boost in jump height?"

Same thing with new players not knowing where power weapons spawned or how often they spawned. All that info should be on the map loading screen.

jem0208

Hey guys i m gonna fail this skill jump, good thing I can clamber so I don't feel bad when I'm not punished for my mistake.

Find a skill jump which isn't easy to pull off even with clamber then?

Clamber doesn't mean there won't be skill jumps. It just means the skill jumps will be different. They'll be higher, they'll be longer, combine clamber with thruster pack and you're going to have skill jumps across entire maps.

Find a skill jump which isn't easy to pull off even with clamber then?

Clamber doesn't mean there won't be skill jumps. It just means the skill jumps will be different. They'll be higher, they'll be longer.

If there is no skill based jumping mechanic, there can be no skill jumps.

Hold jump mid air to prepare to climb.

-Ryn

Banned
Found this while browsing some Halogaf history

battle_rifle_re_design_wip_2_by_prinzeugn-d6pehsz.png

I like this design a lot.

I genuinely hope crouch jumping isn't out of the game.
I enjoy doing it and I think it can function as the more "skilled" alternative. Though I think that some jumps really should require clamber to make. Ultimately I like the idea because I think it will increase map flow and add more verticality to the game.

This is my same line of thinking. We're lucky we're even getting apologies.

Oh, so now you want my help.

wieUUhg.jpg

1IiBp0M.png

y3O2Tqn.png

ZhLEQvK.png

Bonus: MAJOR ESCALATION SPOILERS SERIOUSLY THO
I love these.

The spoilerific one in particular is mah fav.

Ryn, I misread your post about halo 2 my apologies.

My point about MCC stands though, you've no room to tell people how they should feel about shelling out for MCC and an Xbox when you don't even have the fucking thing. And no, watching streams doesn't count. You haven't even experienced the frustration the game causes. So of course your gonna say they don't owe us.

I've done my fair share of shitting on Halo 4. But going game to game gives a new perspective. 343 nailed the warthog imo. It's faster than the trilogy version I think. And it feels so much better to drive. I'm on requiem and the Warthog feels fantastic. Not crazy about the artstyle however.

link1201

I saw that an update is still planned for this week. You think they'd hold the update past today? Today would be the day I'd release it if I was going to release this week.

How exactly is crouching in the air any different to holding jump in the air?

Because if you don't time it correctly, you will fail the crouch jump.

Crouch jumping can not pull you up to a ledge that is at eye level with you.

Crouch jump can't save you when you accidentally back off a ledge like Prince of Persia rewinding time to nullify his mistake.

willow ve

How exactly is crouching in the air any different to holding jump in the air?

Crouch jump can't save you when you accidentally back off a ledge like Prince of Persia rewinding time to nullify his mistake.

Not to mention crouch jumping now = ground pound.

-Ryn

Banned
Ryn, I misread your post about halo 2 my apologies.

My point about MCC stands though, you've no room to tell people how they should feel about shelling out for MCC and an Xbox when you don't even have the fucking thing. And no, watching streams doesn't count. You haven't even experienced the frustration the game causes. So of course your gonna say they don't owe us.

I've done my fair share of shitting on Halo 4. But going game to game gives a new perspective. 343 nailed the warthog imo. It's faster than the trilogy version I think. And it feels so much better to drive. I'm on requiem and the Warthog feels fantastic. Not crazy about the artstyle however.
I appreciate it and I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to tell people how they should feel. I'm not.
Just trying to help everyone see the big picture because while the game not working does suck, once it does, it's going to be fucking amazing.

I don't know if I've ever shit on a game more than I did with Halo 4. Warthog does feel great... sounds like I'm taking a power drill to my ears though.

I'm a Sonic the Hedgehog fan. I had to play through Sonic '06. Don't you tell me about frustration breh.

Fellas!!!
lol Sorry it got dragged out.

Computer

Agree - looks like Clamber is basically going to be BF4 "vault" - ie: just smash the jump button 100 times an you'll jump over anything in your way eventually.

Just another thing that will break the flow of the maps. Clamber, sprint, and booster are to damn much. They need to pick one and delete the rest. I can see adding a few new moment options but 6 new options is overkill.

Crouch Jumping also do wonders in a 1 v 1 BR fight...

I understand that and I have benefited from doing the "Gandhi jump" as much as anyone else, however it is still an obscure way to play a game that is basically jumping, shooting, strafing, throwing grenades, and melees.

All of the things we really love (especially button combos) were what I would consider "happy accidents." Game designers/developers don't like them and don't want to replicate them, although we could make a really solid case for their inclusion.

I guess I have just thrown in the towel to ever get a game with on the surface simplicity, but with the depth and skill gap like Halo 1 and 2.

tootsi666

All of the things we really love (especially button combos) were what I would consider "happy accidents." Game designers/developers don't like them and don't want to replicate them, although we could make a really solid case for their inclusion.
I hate button combos more than I hate SMG starts. There are far better ways to increase skill cap i.e. decreasing aim assist, increasing predictable recoil.

I hate button combos more than I hate SMG starts. There are far better ways to increase skill cap i.e. decreasing aim assist, increasing predictable recoil.

Button combos, like BXB and BXR, were incredibly unique and showed how combos could increase skill gap and add an element of fun and self defense/offense options in an FPS. I get that some don't like it, but I think it could work in a lot of games, especially Halo with the shield system.

Welfare

KXtcpc0.png

That's of course ignoring the fact that he's attempted to make accounts more than once, which should have him banned anyway.

I am more "notable" than Greenskull? :eek:

Computer

Button combos, like BXB and BXR, were incredibly unique and showed how combos could increase skill gap and add an element of fun and self defense/offense options in an FPS. I get that some don't like it, but I think it could work in a lot of games, especially Halo with the shield system.

Nothing is better then being one shot and clutching a bxr on someone with full shield.

Found this while browsing some Halogaf history

battle_rifle_re_design_wip_2_by_prinzeugn-d6pehsz.png

I like this design a lot.

I genuinely hope crouch jumping isn't out of the game.
I enjoy doing it and I think it can function as the more "skilled" alternative. Though I think that some jumps really should require clamber to make. Ultimately I like the idea because I think it will increase map flow and add more verticality to the game.

I love these.

The spoilerific one in particular is mah fav.
Prop maker guy created it using Prinz's concept and it looks soooooooo fucking good!

KXtcpc0.png

lmao

jem0208

Most crouch jumps hardly require good timing.

And honestly my biggest issue with clamber is actually the hold to clamber option. I would much prefer if they removed that, there is a beta for a reason.

As for your second point, all that means is that the skill jumps are going to higher.

Also, if you're in a firefight and make a mistake like that you'll die anyway.

Also, crouch jumping confirmed?

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.p...r-beta-reveal-discussion/page-159#entry339311

There is still skill involved with Clamber. When combined with crouch or spring jump, it can get pretty crazy where players can get to. Not to mention chaining thruster on top of that.

Computer

I love this qoute. "Think of it as automatic versus manual transmission in racing games."
Reminds me of when Franky said the perks in H4 are like fine tuning a race car. Weeelp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom