• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Halo is going to have all these pointless animations that add nothing to gameplay, it should have a Dance button too.

i'd be down

g1VHfJN.gif

Ramirez

Ayo Ram are you staring Halo 4 legendary or you gonna do it at all? I'd like to know hobbit runs.

Anyone feel free to chime in who has played it.

Just finished Halo 3, and all I can keep thinking is I'd like a game playing as the Arbiter, that guy is a G. Chief and Arbiter storming that tower of Flood at the end of Halo 3 was badass. Happy to see him back in Halo 5, I hope he has a big role in the game.

1080/60 has me appreciating that game In a whole new light. I havent played it in years and was pleasantly surprised.

Halo 5 is to Ryn as CE is to Funknown and Halo 4 is to Ozzy.

I finished Halo 4 last night, it ran fine. The people saying the campaigns have constant frame drops are full of shit.

It has no effect on gameplay though so what's the problem with it?

Just because something CAN be added, doesn't mean it SHOULD be added. Tea bagging is Halo's form of dancing. It was player controlled and unique to Halo. A dancing Spartan would in no way fit into Halo gameplay. I feel like you must like the remastered star wars better than the original because it has more flashy things to look at.

Jem is back. Wanting superfluous animations and bullshit because of his subjective opinion of fun.

Just because something CAN be added, doesn't mean it SHOULD be added. Tea bagging is Halo's form of dancing. It was player controlled and unique to Halo. A dancing Spartan would in no way fit into Halo gameplay. I feel like you must like the remastered star wars better than the original because it has more flashy things to look at.

But what about all the casuals and their "fun"?

fuck all the superfluous shit people want to add to this game in the name of fun or attracting another shitty community

Okay, wait, wait, let me get this one straight. You unironically think teabagging is quintessential to the classical Halo sandbox and fits perfectly within canon? I stopped taking you seriously a while ago, but this doesn't help.

Jem is back. Wanting superfluous animations and bullshit because of his subjective opinion of fun.

I usually find the worse a player is at the game, the less he cares about losing control to pointless game controlled animations. Good players never want to give up control of their Spartan just because LOOK DORY, SHINY!

Okay, wait, wait, let me get this one straight. You unironically think teabagging is quintessential to the classical Halo sandbox and fits perfectly within canon? I stopped taking you seriously a while ago, but this doesn't help.

I don't think tea bagging is quintessential to Halo. I think a button to perform a game controlled dance animation would be pointless when we can achieve the same ends with tea bagging and never have to take control away from the player to do it. It's about what fits in Halo and what doesn't. Pointless animations that take control away from the player don't belong in Halo.

-Ryn

Banned
Probably got replaced by a spartan yelling "I'm engaging the enemy!" Or something along those lines. Then you round the corner and one red spartan is on a knee with a ring. Halo 5 is a weird game.
OHztqrh.png

Seem like halo isn't 343's target audience anymore.

We have people arguing that if someone misses a jump we should hold their hand and let them recover with the shitty clamber ability.

What happened to punishing those who made a stupid move? Now its all "participation ribbons and 'hey, don't feel bad that you suck, here are a ton of useless medals'"
Nobody here has said they want hand holding. We are just trying to think of ways in which clamber can be good.

Currently these are some of my major concerns:
Base movement speed needs to have a boost.
ADS should have a toggle which doesn't seem out of the question
Kill times are a bit too fast but the weapons themselves all seem balanced with each other.
In game call outs aren't a bad thing but they really should have a toggle.
Ground Pound is up in the air right now but when it comes down to it I don't think it will be a major issue provided only a direct hit kills and anything else might damage shields a bit or have knock back.

Ayo Ram are you staring Halo 4 legendary or you gonna do it at all? I'd like to know hobbit runs.

Anyone feel free to chime in who has played it.

Just finished Halo 3, and all I can keep thinking is I'd like a game playing as the Arbiter, that guy is a G. Chief and Arbiter storming that tower of Flood at the end of Halo 3 was badass. Happy to see him back in Halo 5, I hope he has a big role in the game.

1080/60 has me appreciating that game In a whole new light. I havent played it in years and was pleasantly surprised.

Halo 5 is to Ryn as CE is to Funknown and Halo 4 is to Ozzy.
Not quite since I have yet to play the game. I think it has some solid ideas though.
I'm really hoping the beta is good.

They are all the same. They take an ability a player could perform in classic Halo and force an animation on it that takes away control from the player.

Backsmack plus pointless animation equals Assassination

Run plus pointless animation equals Sprint

Crouch jump plus pointless animation equals Clamber

Why do we need all these pointless animations removing control from the player? How do these pointless animation improve gameplay?
Holy shit. Wow. You really can't comprehend that you shouldn't always be able to have your gun up do you? I mean... wow.

Holy shit. Wow. You really can't comprehend that you shouldn't always be able to have your gun up do you? I mean... wow.

Honestly, have you ever been playing classic halo and thought to yourself "wow, I am firing my weapon so much, the game should really do something to put a stop to that".

Please explain to me how it is good for Halo gameplay to take away a player's ability to attack just so he can navigate the map. CE ladders didn't take away a player's ability to attack. Grav lifts don't take away a player's ability to attack. Running, jumping, and crouching don't take away a player's ability to attack.

Tell me why taking away a player's ability to defend himself is good for Halo gameplay. Please.

-Ryn

Banned
Well there are many in here who think 343 owes us nothing.
That's the thing though. They don't owe us anything more than getting the game fixed.
However it would be nice if they did something for us to make us feel better about the lost time because of the glitches. They aren't obligated to do it though. Getting cool shit because you're stuff isn't working is an exception, not the rule.

I usually find the worse a player is at the game, the less he cares about losing control to pointless game controlled animations. Good players never want to give up control of their Spartan just because LOOK DORY, SHINY!
...you're... you're kidding right? Are you genuinely making this argument?

Honestly, have you ever been playing classic halo and thought to yourself "wow, I am firing my weapon so much, the game should really do something to put a stop to that".

Please explain to me how it is good for Halo gameplay to take away a player's ability to attack just so he can navigate the map. CE ladders didn't take away a player's ability to attack. Grav lifts don't take away a player's ability to attack. Running, jumping, and crouching don't take away a player's ability to attack.

Tell me why taking away a player's ability to defend himself is good for Halo gameplay. Please.
31JaknS.jpg

Ya see little Tryhard, trade off is something we do when we want to give a player something that enhances a certain ability at the cost of something else. It's what we call balance. The idea behind sprint for instance, is that you get to move A LOT faster momentarily, but at the cost of shooting at people because A) If you could keep shooting why would you ever STOP and B) It makes it a tool for the player to use when they deem appropriate
also fun fact: the most efficient way to run REQUIRES that you lower your gun so you can pump your arms. This is known.

Things like assassinations are used for all those crazy people that like to have fun and rub it in how dad their enemy is. It's like teabagging. But with a knife to the face instead of your metaphorical balls in their mouth. It really drives the point home. *wink*

-Ryn

Banned
I love how you draw CEA Chief, lol.

Games with Gold, some extra months on LIVE, maybe.
lol thanks. Mark V is GOAT.
I love your hat.

I would say they could make all the DLC free but um... yeah.
There's the LIVE like you said. Microsoft would have to provide the games with gold. Personally I'd just prefer the H5 Beta being extended.

There's this other game that uses trade offs in its core gameplay and it's awesome. You should check it out. It's called Rock-Paper-Scissors.
Fabulous rebuttal

You do acknowledge the fact that forcing players to choose between sprint and fire is similar to forcing players to choose between rock and paper, right?

You can see that the addition of sprint is moving Classic Halo gameplay more towards Rock-Paper-Scissor gameplay, right?

You do acknowledge the fact that forcing players to choose between sprint and fire is similar to forcing players to choose between rock and paper, right?

You can see that the addition of sprint is moving Classic Halo gameplay more towards Rock-Paper-Scissor gameplay, right?

Would you at least be willing to agree that additional movement options that don't compromise the holy trinity of guns / grenades / melee and more emphasis on verticality / three-dimensional map traversal, properly balanced, would be beneficial for Halo?

-Ryn

Banned
Ryn, they raked in mountains of cash for a broken product, get off the D, please,
Look, I'm not defending them Ram.

This isn't about 343. I don't care what game studio it is. I don't think that a studio is obligated to do anymore than get a game running properly. It's inconvenient that it doesn't work sure. However regardless of the game, I don't expect anything more than for it to work properly. If the studio gives a special gift for the inconvenience that's great. But I don't expect it. If it were something like WoW where the game was dependant on my subscription and it stopped working then I can see expecting some form of compensation.

For the record, I don't think any of you are wrong for wanting something extra. It's been a ridiculous failure of a launch. I just don't think they are obligated to do jack.

Look, I'm not defending them Ram.

This isn't about 343. I don't care what game studio it is. I don't think that a studio is obligated to do anymore than get a game running properly. It's inconvenient that it doesn't work sure. However regardless of the game, I don't expect anything more than for it to work properly. If the studio gives a special gift for the inconvenience that's great. But I don't expect it. If it were something like WoW where the game was dependant on my subscription and it stopped working then I can see expecting some form of compensation.

For the record, I don't think any of you are wrong for wanting something extra. It's been a ridiculous failure of a launch. I just don't think they are obligated to do jack.

This is my same line of thinking. We're lucky we're even getting apologies.

The only proper thing to do is give free art lessons from the artist(s?) of Halo: Escalator Escalation.

Win.

Win.

Oh, so now you want my help.

wieUUhg.jpg

1IiBp0M.png

y3O2Tqn.png

ZhLEQvK.png

Bonus: MAJOR ESCALATION SPOILERS SERIOUSLY THO

Would you at least be willing to agree that additional movement options that don't compromise the holy trinity of guns / grenades / melee and more emphasis on verticality / three-dimensional map traversal, properly balanced, would be beneficial for Halo?

A first person Thruster that the player could still attack while using would be the ideal advanced movement ability for Halo in my opinion. Cooldown would be such to limit use to once per average encounter.

This does not take away control from the player. It adds to it.

If you want to add a vertical element to Thruster you could allow the player choose between a normal horizontal thrust or a slight vertical boost, like a second crouch jump, per cooldown.

It only takes up one button if you map the upward thrust to the jump button while airborne.

Combine this with a base movement speed around 125% with crisper acceleration curves upon changing directions. Add some new power ups, weapons, vehicles, gametypes, firefight, flood fight, theater, forge, and spectator mode and you would have the greatest Halo game of all time.

But here's the hardest part. The maps. These make or break a Halo game. The majority of the maps need to be very good.

Ryn you don't even have the MCC. How you gonna comment on the game and what people feel they are owed? T

And you never played Halo 2. How you gonna comment on classic halo.

Don't say your not defending them when you absolutely are.

Netprints

Since Ubi is giving a free game and dlc away from the unity mess. Maybe MS and 343 will give us spartan strike for free and possibly lococycle.

What a mess...

jem0208

So what't wrong with assassinations? They DO fit in with Halo's gameplay, they fit perfectly into the theme.

I don't actually want Spartan dancing. However it has 0 effect on gameplay, so why not have it?

But what about all the casuals and their "fun"?

fuck all the superfluous shit people want to add to this game in the name of fun or attracting another shitty community

Seriously? So fuck everyone but you and people with your opinion? It has no effect on your "precious gameplay" so why are you complaining?

I can understand your complaints against sprint and clamber and ADS etc. etc. etc. However this is just as you said "superfluous bullshit".

Oh come on, you're stooping to that level?

-Ryn

Banned
Ryn you don't even have the MCC. How you gonna comment on the game and what people feel they are owed? T

And you never played Halo 2. How you gonna comment on classic halo.

Don't say your not defending them when you absolutely are.
First off, I don't have to play the game to see its issues.
I can see plenty well the issues. I've watched streams, seen lists of glitches, and kept up to date with everything going on. I've been in this kind of situation before as well. So I know how it feels to get screwed with a glitchy ass game. Empathy isn't that hard either.

Halo CE and Halo 2 were the first Halo games I ever owned. I've said I haven't played ONLINE. I played with my friends and siblings plenty on both CE and H2. The multiplayer was fun. I never had BTB LAN parties though. So I missed out on a lot.

I've defended 343 in the case of people insulting them and spouting bullshit. The compensation isn't about them though as I said in the comment.

So what't wrong with assassinations? They DO fit in with Halo's gameplay, they fit perfectly into the theme.

Assassinations are technically optional, even though they dont always feel optional when I get accidentally sucked into one by the game, so they are the smallest offender in comparison to sprint and clamber which are baked in movement mechanics vital to efficiently navigating the map. I think we agree there.

KXtcpc0.png

Guys, were you aware that only "notable" people get to join NeoGAF?

That's of course ignoring the fact that he's attempted to make accounts more than once, which should have him banned anyway.

Dustin's probably correct, though. I mean, Wahrer's still here somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom