• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Why dose this shit even need a beta test to know that it is broken? People get paid a lot of money to balance games so how dose this happen? I just cant understand.

Probably did not see him because he lunged from like beyond radar range. Ether way a kill from the back no shield when hit from the front you cant counter that shit. So fucking dumb. I can see lunge battles something like armor lock battles in H5.
lol the gifs. So many gifs will be had from this beta.

In the radar though you can see him. They're within range of each other. Though the dude could've just not been paying attention to their radar I suppose. The sprint and thrust make a good amount of noise though... but there's a lot of beeping anyway so it's just more white noise. A surprise attack from behind is certainly harder to counter though.

In Halo 3 when a Phantom blows ups, it literally leaves an entire phantom blown up on the ground. In Halo 4, when a phantom blows up, its turns into two pieces of rubble. That don't even look like they are pieces from a Phantom. And they get deleted within 20 seconds.

Why.

Halo 4 was made in 2012 on 7 year old hardware with much much better visual fidelity than Halo 3 (Native 720p at stable 30fps), things has to be sacrificed somewhere.

Probably did not see him because he lunged from like beyond radar range. Ether way a kill from the back no shield when hit from the front you cant counter that shit. So fucking dumb. I can see lunge battles something like armor lock battles in H5.

How? The player has to be sprinting full speed to use that charging ability.

Kibbles

Lol why?

QualifiedDentalErmine.gif

lmao I hope this is fixed before the public beta.

Omni

I'm a bit over half way through Halo 2 on legendary. I have to say, it's not nearly as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Last time I did this was on PC, but I think fighting the mouse and keyboard was making things a lot harder for me. Kinda just breezing through it so far now that I'm on console /shrug

Guess those later levels are the hardest, so maybe it'll change. But as it stands, CE was much, much more difficult to me

Questions for those who've played H5 and about the GIF. Could the enemy red guy not have thrustered left or right out of the way? Maybe jumped to a ninja assassination or
sprinted further forward out of range?

Also had this have been side or front on would it just drop shields instead of kill?

Akai__

This is worse than Halo Reach's Sprint and double smack. No gunfight whatsoever and with that range people will actually abuse the crap out of it.

Halo 5 MP still looks like nothing I want to play and I have a feeling this won't change.

daedalius

Questions for those who've played H5 and about the GIF. Could the enemy red guy not have thrustered left or right out of the way? Maybe jumped to a ninja assassination or

Also had this have been side or front on would it just drop shields instead of kill?

Of course he could have done those things, but he would need to pay attention to his damn radar.

I foresee myself being the victim here a lot.

TheOddOne

Being attacked from the front does drop the shields.

shieldhoks7.gif

-Ryn

Banned
This is worse than Halo Reach's Sprint and double smack. No gunfight whatsoever and with that range people will actually abuse the crap out of it.

Halo 5 MP still looks like nothing I want to play and I have a feeling this won't change.
Well I mean if you miss... you're kinda screwed.
I agree that the range needs a bit of a nerf though.
Just to clarify, it's not an instant kill unless it's a back smack.

Some people seem to be unsure on that so I figured I'd restate it.

*edit*
OddOne'd

I would imagine the blue attacking Spartan would be making 2-3 big noises for awareness too. #NotAlwaysRadar
There's noise from the feet and the thrusters. That's it from what I can tell.

Range could tweak and I'm sure will be now and post launch but I don't see the OP of this really. Player was caught unaware in the new sandbox and failed on audio cue, movement counter, turn counter and was punished for just sprinting around.

I like what I see. Thx for accurate replies.

In Halo 3 when a Phantom blows ups, it literally leaves an entire phantom blown up on the ground. In Halo 4, when a phantom blows up, its turns into two pieces of rubble. That don't even look like they are pieces from a Phantom. And they get deleted within 20 seconds.

Why.

To minimize memory usage. Halo 4 pushes the hardware much further, so concessions have to be made. Especially since there are far more opportunities to destroy Phantoms in Halo 4, like say the Mantis portions where you may destroy as many as 10 or so Phantoms in just one small area. That stuff would stack up fast, both literally and in terms of memory.

-Ryn

Banned
Range could tweak and I'm sure will be now and post launch but I don't see the OP of this really. Player was caught unaware in the new sandbox and failed on audio cue, movement counter, turn counter and was punished for just sprinting around.

No problem dude. Analyzing stuff is good times.

Being attacked from the front does drop the shields.

shieldhoks7.gif
...that plasma throw bugs me for some reason.

To minimize memory usage. Halo 4 pushes the hardware much further, so concessions have to be made. Especially since there are far more opportunities to destroy Phantoms in Halo 4, like say the Mantis portions where you may destroy as many as 10 or so Phantoms in just one small area. That stuff would stack up fast, both literally and in terms of memory.
If there aren't super cool spaceship chunks everywhere in Halo 5 I will be severely disappointed.

TheOddOne

H2A campaign now saves checkpoints, but every time you load those it goes to black screen. The music and sounds keep playing though.

GG.

Omni

Just got CTF on Avalanche. I love Halo 3 big team battle. Just waiting for it to load... hopefully it's on dedicated servers and not P2P

edit. Game glitched and took me back to main menu. That's nice. Didn't want to play it anyway... >_<

edit 2. Everyone who was in the big team battle lobby with me was in my party at the main menu and I was leader. Tried to set up a custom game but it glitched out again and gave someone else leader. It's hard to mad when it's just so silly

Nobody likes a mechanic that lets you melee someone from a long distance. Even if you miss, you're going to get close enough to the opponent that the opponent will opt to melee you instead of shoot you. It happens all the time without that lunge. Players will use a melee and go for the final headshot or try and get two melees before the other guy whenever they're really close to one another.

Another possibility of the charge is that even if you catch a person sprinting and start shooting at him, the person might opt to go for a charge to get your shields down as opposed to stopping and trying to shoot you. Yeah he might not kill you, but when he's on a team he will still leave you one shot for his teammates to finish you.

It just seems like it could be a frustrating mechanic.

-Ryn

Banned
Nobody likes a mechanic that lets you melee someone from a long distance. Even if you miss, you're going to get close enough to the opponent that the opponent will opt to melee you instead of shoot you. It happens all the time without that lunge. Players will use a melee and go for the final headshot or try and get two melees before the other guy whenever they're really close to one another.

Another possibility of the charge is that even if you catch a person sprinting and start shooting at him, the person might opt to go for a charge to get your shields down as opposed to stopping and trying to shoot you. Yeah he might not kill you, but when he's on a team he will still leave you one shot for his teammates to finish you.

It just seems like it could be a frustrating mechanic.
Well the cool thing about the thruster packs is that you can much more easily dodge the guy. Having them as a default is really going to make for more interesting fights. I'd also hope that the lunge for regular melee has been nerfed to make the shoulder check have more of a place.

I think the best way to handle a person charging you would be to jump over them and thrust or just thrust to the side. You'll have enough distance and time to take them out since there's a small recovery window with the shoulder check.

Does shoulder check use up your thruster?

Dude, that's why the Covies attack the humans, not because of some Forerunner relics...
Everything suddenly makes sense...

Omni

And I'm about to start Gravemind on legendary. Rest of the campaign has gone smoothly but... this is the part I've been dreading xD

Akai__

And I'm about to start Gravemind on legendary. Rest of the campaign has gone smoothly but... this is the part I've been dreading xD

Kill everything except one Brute each wave. While the last Brute is raging collect weapons and drop them on the higher ground. Needlers are the best weapon in that room.

Sordid

I hope 343 are looking to fix the audio in Halo 3 multi, it's totally broken. Every sound comes out of the wrong channel, wearing a headset is disorienting because it's all reversed :(

I had time for one quick match just now and got BR's on The Pit. Connection was super laggy, I haven't played on a dedicated server since launch.

Omni

I wish you much ammo. Good luck dude.
Well I'm currently hiding on top with 17 rounds left in my plasma rifle. I screwed up and missed the needler before jumping up here >_<

Just trying to pepper them down... but hahaha. Easily the worst part about the campaign

Kill everything except one Brute each wave. While the last Brute is raging collect weapons and drop them on the higher ground. Needlers are the best weapon in that room.

Ooooh, good strat. Thanks!

-Ryn

Banned
Well I'm currently hiding on top with 17 rounds left in my plasma rifle. I screwed up and missed the needler before jumping up here >_<

Just trying to pepper them down... but hahaha. Easily the worst part about the campaign

Ooooh, good strat. Thanks!
Shit! I must've jinxed it.
Sorry dude it's all my fault &#65343;|&#65507;|&#9675;

Halo 2 Legendary and waves of enemies do not a good time make.
You've gotten this far though. You got this!

Omni

Shit! I must've jinxed it.
Sorry dude it's all my fault &#65343;|&#65507;|&#9675;

Halo 2 Legendary and waves of enemies do not a good time make.
You've gotten this far though. You got this!
It took 15 minutes, but I got out of that room! (I had to restart).

Should be smooth sailing from here now that I have a carbine. Gonna finish this campaign tonight I think

jem0208

So far the patch has basically done nothing. It could be because it's 3pm in the UK and early morning in the US though. Still when I did find some people it took us to a custom games lobby...

klodeckel

Banned
Wuhuuuu!!! I can find games constantly (only tested H2A playlist so far)!

Wow ... Fuck that ... The game deserves all the critique it gets currently, but if you have played a 60fps completely lag-free H2A Team BRs 4vs4 50 - 49 match on Lockout for the first time in two weeks ... DAMN THIS IS SO GOOD!!

jem0208

So this is the third time in a row that I got matchmade into a custom games lobby.

This time though I tried to go back to the menu and the game crashed. Yay.

The Halo 5 beta better not have these issues.

Had a BTB selection of Slayer on Containment, One Bomb on Terminal and Flag on Longbow

Longbow won lol

I will say that H4 is much more agreeable when you only have to play one in every ten games or so. If they'd remove plasma pistols from loadouts BTB could really be something.

Magni

You're talking about the IWHBYD skull? It changes *some* dialogue of NPCs *some* of the time. That's all it does.

Are you saying it's broken when you activate it or that you can't get it to spawn on Outskirts? Because I can guarantee that it works as intended when activated and if done properly it does spawn on Outskirts, although the spawn is random so it takes some trying. I say this because I use it all the time, and I've spawned it out on Outskirts 5 times now just for making and remaking videos.

I was talking about Bumper Jumper. FWIW, I finally found the skull after almost five hours trying. This game is crack. It's bad but I can't stop.

H2A campaign now saves checkpoints, but every time you load those it goes to black screen. The music and sounds keep playing though.

GG.

Happened to me, press back and it should change engines and snap out of the black screen.

Caja 117

Does anyone have a side by side comparison of one of the maps, and how it looks like with a color filter applied? I saw a while ago someone posting indicating how different will be applying such filter

Karl2177

So Halo 4 is pre Turbo patch, but Halo 2 Classic is not pre 1.1 patch because it is the Vista version I assume.

The state of these games in this collection is weird, just day one Default state for most of the settings.
Just because this keeps bugging me, the games appear to be in their final stable release. This means it is Halo 2 1.5, Halo 3 1.2, and Halo 4 1.04. What this also means is that each game doesn't have the final Matchmaking settings of each game.

Halo CE uses the PC version of the game for multiplayer and CEA(which is also PC based) for single player. This means:
  • Multiplayer networking isn't locked to connection to every box.
  • Multiplayer networking appears to retain the 56k cap that was in place for the PC version.
  • The multiplayer gametype indicator appears next to the shield/health bars.
  • Multiplayer maps use the PC version. Fuel Rods and Flamethrowers will appear on maps.
  • Dropped weapons can go crazy if they fall into the intersection of two pieces of geometry. This is most apparent on AotCR.
  • Certain physics glitches are no longer possible in single player.

Halo 2 uses the Vista version of the game. This means:
  • Sword flying is possible, but it is much harder to pull off due to frame rate adjustments.
  • Super bounces are still in, but most of the XBox ones aren't possible due to changes in Havok Physics.
  • Carbine fire rate is tied to frame rate. 343i says this was fixed in the Day 1 CU, but I'm personally hesitant to say it is.
  • Certain button combos are more difficult to pull off due to the frame rate adjustments.

Halo 3 is updated to 1.2. Matchmaking settings are 9/25/07. This means:
  • Melee clashes will usually result in simultaneous deaths. (Addressed with TU1)
  • Melee kills will not send the player flying across the map. (Addressed with TU1)
  • BXB combos aren't possible. (Addressed with TU1)
  • Does not come with official Bungie modified maps(Boundless, Epilogue, Pit Stop, SAND TARP). (Final Matchmaking settings)
  • Does not come with updated versions of maps(Rocket spawn on Narrows, Fusion Coil on Valhalla, etc.)

Halo 4 is updated to 1.04(I believe. I have not played a match of Halo 4 to verify these). Matchmaking settings are 11/6/12. This means:
  • Boltshot has a range nerf. (1.03 update)
  • Prefect, Mark V, and ODST armors are not in engine. (These would be addressed with matchmaking variants of maps and in the 1.05 update)
  • Gauss Warthog has less aim assist. (1.04 update)
  • X does not appear on death. (This would be addressed in 1.04.01 update)
  • Boltshot instant reload removed. (1.02 update)
  • Active Camo decloaks when using any weapon. (1.04 update)
  • Turbo weapon tuning is not applied. This affects the BR, DMR, LR, AR, SAW,Carbine, etc. (matchmaking settings update)
  • Maps use their default setting. (matchmaking settings update)
  • Ordinance uses the default setting. (matchmaking settings update)

Is being able to melee someone when they aren't on-screen a thing in CE or can Halo PC be used as a scapegoat?
A little bit of both. CE always seemed really finicky about melees, and using the PC netcode made it even worse.

Omni

Halo 2 solo legendary: Done!

That bit at the end of High Charity in the Prophet's quarters really kicked my ass. First time in a long time that I've sworn at my TV haha smh. Might start Halo 3 on the weekend. Just wanna get these done by the time the beta comes around

Ghazi

One thing that really bothered me about Quinn's post on Beyond was that for nearly every point regarding balance he cited a beta and things not being final as an excuse for the way certain things were. It's really frustrating to see that because as things stand now, the game looks like it already has some problems. I understand player feedback is important, but it seems like these guys can't make a well balanced game without feedback. It's almost like 343 is relying completely on player feedback for the beta to fix everything, rather than making proper creative decisions to balance it themselves. Either because they don't know how to (no offense to them) or they don't care to do anything till the beta.

Usually, betas have been glorified server stress tests or very fine balance tuning demos. Halo 5's is going to be weird because I'm expecting some drastic changes regarding the mechanics and weapons over the course of it, because it really doesn't look that well done right now.

Akai__

This IWHBYD Halo 2 skull is a joke. It won't spawn and I watched several tutorial videos and did the exact same thing as they do. Luck based skulls are stupid and I'm glad this one is the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom