• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And on the fourth day I actually got a game within the 15 mins I allowed it to search.

When you compensate people 343, make sure you put a little extra in my account.

Omni

Weird. I bought GTAV through the MS store yesterday, but today when I looked at my bank I noticed I was only charge $30. I'm not complaining... but hmmm.

Anywho. Is there a way to see individual post-game carnage reports on Waypoint?

Pop

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Just wanted to pop in an say that I had a huge improvement with the patch yesterday. I played for 5 hours straight with no problems besides one crash. Before that I couldn't find a match.

Texas here, if that makes a difference

jem0208

Halo 2 solo legendary: Done!

That bit at the end of High Charity in the Prophet's quarters really kicked my ass. First time in a long time that I've sworn at my TV haha smh. Might start Halo 3 on the weekend. Just wanna get these done by the time the beta comes around

I'm impressed.

I only just had the patience to get through it on Heroic.

Haven't played Halo 2 in a long, long time though.

Akai__

This UI is so annoying. Should have been Halo 3's UI with Reach's roster...

I hate the delay when you want to switch through the menu, select a gametype, map etc. Why doesn't it switch without this annoying delay?

One thing that really bothered me about Quinn's post on Beyond was that for nearly every point regarding balance he cited a beta and things not being final as an excuse for the way certain things were. It's really frustrating to see that because as things stand now, the game looks like it already has some problems. I understand player feedback is important, but it seems like these guys can't make a well balanced game without feedback. It's almost like 343 is relying completely on player feedback for the beta to fix everything, rather than making proper creative decisions to balance it themselves. Either because they don't know how to (no offense to them) or they don't care to do anything till the beta.

Usually, betas have been glorified server stress tests or very fine balance tuning demos. Halo 5's is going to be weird because I'm expecting some drastic changes regarding the mechanics and weapons over the course of it, because it really doesn't look that well done right now.
Bugs encountered:
  • when attempting to throw a grenade, i get a useless animation to stare down the "ironsights" of the weapon i have equipped. not only is this a hindrance to the player by obscuring more of the FOV, its not letting me throw grenades by using the same button i've used since Halo CE (13- 14 years)
  • Sprint is still in the game, 343 has ignored the community; yet again.
  • there are no toggles for all of the "elements" that 343 has added in the pursuit of the casual modern shooter market, meaning we cant play a semblance of classic halo. (second time since H4)
  • In an effort to move the tashi ceiling, 3 kills is now an overkill. gg Tash.
  • i keep hearing this high pitched beep when i hit the opponent with bullets. this just increases the white noise in the audio space. Now instead of the screen being busy (with medals and +10 herpderp) they have made the audio space the new "all medals and text show up here"
  • Clamber: if i fail a jump because of my error, there is a bug that lets me hit/hold the jump button so that i can grab a ledge and feel better about myself.

jem0208

Bugs encountered:
  • when attempting to throw a grenade, i get a useless animation to stare down the "ironsights" of the weapon i have equipped. not only is this a hindrance to the player by obscuring more of the FOV, its not letting me throw grenades by using the same button i've used since Halo CE (13- 14 years)
  • Sprint is still in the game, 343 has ignored the community; yet again.
  • there are no toggles for all of the "elements" that 343 has added in the pursuit of the casual modern shooter market, meaning we cant play a semblance of classic halo. (second time since H4)
  • In an effort to move the tashi ceiling, 3 kills is now an overkill. gg Tash.
  • i keep hearing this high pitched beep when i hit the opponent with bullets. this just increases the white noise in the audio space. Now instead of the screen being busy (with medals and +10 herpderp) they have made the audio space the new "all medals and text show up here"
  • Clamber: if i fail a jump because of my error, there is a bug that lets me hit/hold the jump button so that i can grab a ledge and feel better about myself.

Boiling this down to...

Bugs encountered:

• Change.

;)

HTupolev

Halo CE uses the PC version of the game for multiplayer and CEA(which is also PC based) for single player. This means:​

Dropped weapons can go crazy if they fall into the intersection of two pieces of geometry. This is most apparent on AotCR.
Although it seems more common in the ports, the original Xbox version of the game is entirely capable of physicsing a gun in environment geometry.

Certain physics glitches are no longer possible in single player.
Some of that was introduced in CEA, not just inherited from HPC. Notably, the way the game handles collision between environmental surfaces and bipeds (like the player) is different. In some spots the collision geometry itself has actually been changed.​

Source

Haven't tried playing in awhile, do matches still start with uneven teams? That was one of the more infuriating things for me, on top of the ridiculous wait times of course.

Boiling this down to...

Bugs encountered:

• Change.

;)

Change isnt bad, stop acting like a pedantic asshat, if this is a beta and people complain about the ADS or other new elements. 343 says they listen but if nothing changes besides Weapon tuning, then they deserve all the hate they will get,

Caja 117

Haven't tried playing in awhile, do matches still start with uneven teams? That was one of the more infuriating things for me, on top of the ridiculous wait times of course.

Now and then you will get uneven team, but at least for me most of the time Im gettin even teams, i probrably have played 18 games since yesterday and maybe 5 or 6 were uneven teams.

Source

Now and then you will get uneven team, but at least for me most of the time Im gettin even teams, i probrably have played 18 games since yesterday and maybe 5 or 6 were uneven teams.

I'm disappointed it's not completely fixed yet. Thanks for letting me know, though.

jem0208

Change isnt bad, stop acting like a pedantic asshat, if this is a beta and people complain about the ADS or other new elements. 343 says they listen but if nothing changes besides Weapon tuning, then they deserve all the hate they will get,

Really? One of your complaints was that the default control scheme has changed, even though all the old schemes are still there. Another was that you won't be able to play classic Halo. That is literally complaining about the fact that stuff has changed.

Really? One of your complaints was that the default control scheme has changed, even though all the old schemes are still there. Another was that you won't be able to play classic Halo. That is literally complaining about the fact that stuff has changed.
Don't get drawn in by his new shtick.

In all fairness I agree with him. Although I have to play it first to get a feel for how all this new stuff works, it's not looking good.

Sprint can die a fiery death. Fuck that mechanic. Halo doesn't need ADS either. I mean I get they're trying to make it an easier transition for players that are accustomed to other franchises, but implementing this half ADS half classic smartscope thing just seems like a terrible idea.

I think 343 underestimate the majority of gamers. The MCC has proved that players can adjust to the Halo way of playing shooters. Ie no sprint, Ads, whatever other garbage.

At this stage I would be entirely satisfied with Halo 5 playing like H2A.

Chamber,Sprint and ADS are not Halo.

They gotta sell to Destiny/BF/Cod players though.

Us old head halo players are dying out. They know we're gonna buy regardless. So obviously getting other shooter fans on board is priority. And the only way to do that (in 343's eyes) is to stuff other shooters features into Halo.

It's not.

People played Halo for years because we like Halo. Get ready for that first week population drop off just like Halo 4 brehs

DJ Gunner

Giant maps with people running around chasing each other weapons down. That's what I see when I watch any Halo 5 footage. Frankly it reminds me of most of Halo 4. They are committed to this road, and no amount of weapon balance or mechanic tweaking is going to alter what Halo 5 clearly is to make it play anything like Halo 1-3.

Giant maps with people running around chasing each other weapons down. That's what I see when I watch any Halo 5 footage. Frankly it reminds me of most of Halo 4. They are committed to this road, and no amount of weapon balance or mechanic tweaking is going to alter what Halo 5 clearly is to make it play anything like Halo 1-3.
Yeah this is the direction they're going and we won't be changing that.

Funny thing is I think the thruster and all the other movement stuff could work without sprint.

Imagine all the clamber, ground pound etc. Without sprint.

Someone tries to ground pound you and then can't run away, they have to stay and engage the enemy, risk v reward. They either hit the ground pound or are forced into a shoot out.

Instead of just sprinting away.

darthbob

Probably did not see him because he lunged from like beyond radar range. Ether way a kill from the back no shield when hit from the front you cant counter that shit. So fucking dumb. I can see lunge battles something like armor lock battles in H5.

If you look at the player's motion tracker the enemy player is well within range.

I think 343 underestimate the majority of gamers. The MCC has proved that players can adjust to the Halo way of playing shooters. Ie no sprint, Ads, whatever other garbage.
Has it though? The game is still not fully functional and it was only released 2 weeks ago. If anything, we hear complaints all the time of being matched with lesser skilled players, so maybe these players can't adjust? Also, I've been hearing some complaints over Halo 2, 3 and H2A's pacing and mechanics, so I'm not sure so people would want this v
At this stage I would be entirely satisfied with Halo 5 playing like H2A.
I definitely would not.

jem0208

So I finally got into a game! 4 vs 3 but who cares, it's a game. Map and gametype options appear and we have:

- Team BRs on Lockdown

- 2 flag CTF on Shrine

Guess what wins by a landslide. I hate Halo fans sometimes...

Oh and it's a laggy mess.

Has it though? The game is still not fully functional and it was only released 2 weeks ago. If anything, we hear complaints all the time of being matched with lesser skilled players, so maybe these players can't adjust? Also, I've been hearing some complaints over Halo 2, 3 and H2A's pacing and mechanics, so I'm not sure so people would want this v

I definitely would not.

While I am enjoying H2A (most of the time at least, haven't actually finished a match in a while...) it does feel extremely familiar. That's definitely not a bad thing considering it's meant to be a semi-remaster of Halo 2, however if Halo 5 were to be just like H2A I could see myself growing tired of it.

Omni

After playing Halo 2 for so long, H3 feels so... weird. There is something about the aiming. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Like in H2 I have my sensitivity on 6. As with all the other games. But in Halo 3, that seems almost uncontrollable. I had to dial it all the way back to 3 when I did the first level of campaign a little while ago. Kinda jarring

daedalius

Why would you want h5 to be just like h2a if we have h2a already?

Also I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like not having sprint: especially on maps like bloodline or Zanzibar.

Not having it on something like warlord or lockout is fine, but gating sprint to certain maps would just be weird. I am glad we will have it, rather than not at all.

I don't think increasing base speed would do it either, unless you're always just going to move as fast as you do with speed boost in h2a.

After playing Halo 2 for so long, H3 feels so... weird. There is something about the aiming. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Like in H2 I have my sensitivity on 6. As with all the other games. But in Halo 3, that seems almost uncontrollable. I had to dial it all the way back to 3 when I did the first level of campaign a little while ago. Kinda jarring

Dat aim acceleration.

Halo 3 feels terrible. Aiming, foot speed, BR, ugh

I definitely would not.

Purely anecdotal, however friends of mine who only play Cod and the likes took a while to adjust to the pace, but are actually loving the the older gameplay. Whether or not the novelty will wear off quickly or not is yet to be seen though.

Again with Halo 5 we won't know until we get our hands on it. But I'm getting real Halo 4 vibes again, which is not a good thing.

daedalius, I hate sprint. I just hate it, I dont think it belongs in Halo at all personally.

Also I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like not having sprint: especially on maps like bloodline or Zanzibar.

Not having it on something like warlord or lockout is fine, but gating sprint to certain maps would just be weird. I am glad we will have it, rather than not at all.

I don't think increasing base speed would do it either, unless you're always just going to move as fast as you do with speed boost in h2a.

Thrustermasterrace

Move around Halo 4 on 120% movement speed with Thruster. Now imagine thrusting in first person. Now imagine being able to shoot while thrusting. Better than Sprint in every way right?

Booshka

Dat aim acceleration.

Halo 3 feels terrible. Aiming, foot speed, BR, ugh

Yep, at first I liked that they toned down the aim assist and made the BR projectile. But, the aiming feels terrible, movement is slow and the strafe is pretty muddy and sluggish as well. Overall just a bad feeling shooter, when you fail to get moving and shooting right, you've already failed, everything else in the game is a moot point after that.

jem0208

Yep, at first I liked that they toned down the aim assist and made the BR projectile. But, the aiming feels terrible, movement is slow and the strafe is pretty muddy and sluggish as well. Overall just a bad feeling shooter, when you fail to get moving and shooting right, you've already failed, everything else in the game is a moot point after that.

I think this is an area which Halo 4 nailed actually. Out of all the Halos it has IMO the best movement/shooting. Although I think H2A may have taken that crown now, however it does feel very similar to H4.

Booshka

I think this is an area which Halo 4 nailed actually. Out of all the Halos it has IMO the best movement/shooting. Although I think H2A may have taken that crown now, however it does feel very similar to H4.

Totally disagree, Halo 4 and H2A have terrible lateral movement, it's smooth to aim, but also way too easy.

Halo CE is still my favorite to move and shoot in, the only problem is the Jumping in Halo CE. Especially consecutive jumps, there is a slightly delay after you land before you can jump again that takes getting used to. The jumping of Halo 2 Classic is a lot more responsive and smooth, but I prefer everything else related to moving and shooting in Halo CE compared to all other Halo games.

daedalius

So what the fuck is it for a BR + melee in h2a??

3 bursts + melee is what I thought, but apparently I was wrong since that never seems to work!

2 + melee is best. H2a's melee seems janky as shit.

Booshka

So what the fuck is it for a BR + melee in h2a??

3 bursts + melee is what I thought, but apparently I was wrong since that never seems to work!

2 + melee is best. H2a's melee seems janky as shit.

H2A has the momentum melees of Halo 2 Classic, so if it's not a jumping melee it's not gonna do as much damage. Running melees are stronger than standing melees as well. Don't count on the 2 shot beatdown that you got used to though. Try to incorporate a jump into your melee and you will get better results.

Ramirez

I cannot disagree with you people more on 3, it's the only Halo in this package (not even counting CE with that netcode) that doesn't aim for you. Without a doubt the most improved game with the 60 FPS bump.

TCKaos

I cannot disagree with you people more on 3, it's the only Halo in this package (not even counting CE with that netcode) that doesn't aim for you. Without a doubt the most improved game with the 60 FPS bump.

It'd be a great deal better if it had a FOV increase, some better sound effects and a not shit BR. Honestly if in 2017 they just released a patch that did that I'd be content.

Tawpgun

I agree it takes more skill, but it also just feels off. If halo 2 classic had less aim assist it would be perfect

Purely anecdotal, however friends of mine who only play Cod and the likes took a while to adjust to the pace, but are actually loving the the older gameplay. Whether or not the novelty will wear off quickly or not is yet to be seen though.
I know it's anecdotal, but I think more people will believe this as time progresses. Being able to instantly compare CE's gameplay to the sluggishness of Halo 2 and Halo 3 will provide an excellent case for Halo 5 to not have such watered down gameplay. I have some friends who were diehard Halo 2 and Halo 3 fans who have already "converted."

H2A gameplay is not best for the future of this franchise. It needs to evolve in several areas and can't just be another slow-walking, high aim assist, long kill time Halo game.
Thrustermasterrace

Move around Halo 4 on 120% movement speed with Thruster. Now imagine thrusting in first person. Now imagine being able to shoot while thrusting. Better than Sprint in every way right?
Yes.
I'm sure that would be perfectly fine on small and mid size maps.
Are you really sure or are you being sarcastic? Because if you've played it and given it a shot, it's actually pretty fun with those settings.

Played some matches at like 200% speed, high jumps and higher damage with unlimited Thrusters, and it felt really fun. Obviously that's too fast, but just goes to show that Halo can be fun on all maps if the pace was increased significantly.

daedalius

Are you really sure or are you being sarcastic? Because if you've played it and given it a shot, it's actually pretty fun with those settings.

Played some matches at like 200% speed, high jumps and higher damage with unlimited Thrusters, and it felt really fun. Obviously that's too fast, but just goes to show that Halo can be fun on all maps if the pace was increased significantly.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I really think that would be fine on small-mid maps.

Big maps though, would still be nice to have a 'get around faster' button.

That actually sounds pretty fun to play.

They need to put in a Halo 4 "Halo 5" playlist, where everyone moves faster and has thrust on the same cooldown as it is in H5.

Booshka

Yet CE still takes the most skill because of the better strafe, stricter hitboxes and smaller player models. I'm talking LAN vs LAN gameplay in this sense for objectivity. Halo 3 has the least aim assist sure, but it doesn't feel good to shoot, player movement is stiff, hitboxes are generous, and player models are large and easy to hit.

I haven't played Halo 3 at 60 FPS though, so take that into consideration.

-Ryn

Banned
Happy Thanksgiving everypeople!

It took 15 minutes, but I got out of that room! (I had to restart).

Should be smooth sailing from here now that I have a carbine. Gonna finish this campaign tonight I think
Halo 2 solo legendary: Done!

That bit at the end of High Charity in the Prophet's quarters really kicked my ass. First time in a long time that I've sworn at my TV haha smh. Might start Halo 3 on the weekend. Just wanna get these done by the time the beta comes around
Nice going dude!
How will you celebrate? Popcorn? Pretzels? Cake? Cake and Ice Cream?

I love all of you have a good day.
tackle-hug-the-office.gif

^
Agreement

Especially now that we've got the MCC, I wouldn't want Halo 5 to just play like previous games. As long as the core gameplay is kept intact I'm happy.
I really don't want Halo to turn into the same exact game every 2-3 years. I don't pay $60 for Halo with prettier visuals and maybe a couple new guns (especially when I can still play the previous game online). I like seeing the game evolve. Creating the same game over and over just kills innovation and causes stagnation.

Thrustermasterrace

*cough* different functionality *cough* *cough*

To be honest I don't mind having no sprint on smaller maps.

If things work out and MCC becomes the definitive launcher for Halo content in the future (so that H5 and future titles just start their engines from the overall MCC master launcher), I'd be cool with Halo 3 Anniversary just being multiplayer stuff. I feel like they'd end up overdoing things graphically campaign-side and missing what made it look good in the first place.

Halo 3 OST desperately needs remastering and given some more original compositions, though.

If things work out and MCC becomes the definitive launcher for Halo content in the future (so that H5 and future titles just start their engines from the overall MCC master launcher), I'd be cool with Halo 3 Anniversary just being multiplayer stuff. I feel like they'd end up overdoing things graphically campaign-side and missing what made it look good in the first place.

Halo 3 OST desperately needs remastering and given some more original compositions, though.

I think they did a better job retaining the look of Halo 2 I'm anniversary than CEA. Surely Halo 3 could have a serious graphical overhaul by 2017. Although like you said there's a big risk they'll overdo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom