• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Totally disagree, Halo 4 and H2A have terrible lateral movement, it's smooth to aim, but also way too easy.

Halo CE is still my favorite to move and shoot in, the only problem is the Jumping in Halo CE. Especially consecutive jumps, there is a slightly delay after you land before you can jump again that takes getting used to. The jumping of Halo 2 Classic is a lot more responsive and smooth, but I prefer everything else related to moving and shooting in Halo CE compared to all other Halo games.
I don't like CE's movement. The jumping is horrible, it's ridiculously floaty but you barely gain any height.

Omni

Do they even have the power overhead on the Xbone to do a Halo 3 Anniversary? I was thinking about this the other day.

They struggled with Halo 2 and that's sub-1080 with dips as a result.

-Ryn

Banned
If things work out and MCC becomes the definitive launcher for Halo content in the future (so that H5 and future titles just start their engines from the overall MCC master launcher), I'd be cool with Halo 3 Anniversary just being multiplayer stuff. I feel like they'd end up overdoing things graphically campaign-side and missing what made it look good in the first place.

Halo 3 OST desperately needs remastering and given some more original compositions, though.
Next gen bloom and color filters.

Really though I'd just be happy to see Hood not look like wrinkles and nightmares had a baby

jem0208

Do they even have the power overhead on the Xbone to do a Halo 3 Anniversary? I was thinking about this the other day.

By the time they get to 2017 games are going to be looking a lot better. Compare Reach to 3.

Yes and No.

They likely couldn't run Halo 3 and a new graphics engines side by side but really that feature is fluff.

Nothing is stopping them from taking Halo 3 gameplay and slapping a Halo 5 rendering engine on it, using new asset for character models and building/texturing over the old BSP.

Madness

I actual think Halo 3 plays great in this collection. Only like two matches so far, but my only real complaint is just the slow movement. It's not about sprint, it's that you just move painfully slow. Forgot how much AR/Grenade/Melee was used in matches that weren't BR starts though.

As for what Karl said earlier, how the heck does 343 ship a game and yet not use the latest patch/multi-player settings for Halo 4. It was their own game. I haven't played a match yet, but I'd be upset as hell if Red X on Death wasn't in the game and all the patches and tweaks since.

Watching nightfall, Locke's team is garbage, and coupled with the H2A cutscenes, Locke is just a male Palmer (a lapdog for ONI that cant think for himself)

Omni

Mmmm. Well I don't like the idea of Halo 3 Anniversary to be honest. I don't particularly want it to happen. At least this generation. Just seems unnecessary. The version in the MCC holds up rather well visually and with 60fps / dedicated servers it's better than ever.

Still three years away before it's 10 but I don't think my opinion will change on that (In contrast, I wanted H2:A from the get go)

Tawpgun

Watching nightfall, Locke's team is garbage, and coupled with the H2A cutscenes, Locke is just a male Palmer (a lapdog for ONI that cant think for himself)
But Locke gave those two smugglers equal chance at straws.

Such empathy
Much feelings
So depth

Really interesting to how they are gonna do Locke. Right now he seems like an ONI bitch but the epilogue cutscene makes him seem like someone who wants to find things out for himself. Could have an interesting character arc

Madness

Locke isn't so bad. I'm liking him, Macer and Randall/Aiken the best. But like I said before launch, man is Colter bad at voice acting. Almost amateur hour against Keith David, and having people like John DiMaggio and Jennifer Hale on board for Halo 5, it's going to be crazy seeing the difference.

Nightfall would've been so much better as one single film. Too short with the week breaks detracting from the story overall.

-Ryn

Banned
Please no...

But Locke gave those two smugglers equal chance at straws.

Such empathy
Much feelings
So depth

Really interesting to how they are gonna do Locke. Right now he seems like an ONI bitch but the epilogue cutscene makes him seem like someone who wants to find things out for himself. Could have an interesting character arc
Well that sounds a bit better. So are all the episodes on youtube? I've only seen the first so far.

Mmmm. Well I don't like the idea of Halo 3 Anniversary to be honest. I don't particularly want it to happen. At least this generation. Just seems unnecessary. The version in the MCC holds up rather well visually and with 60fps / dedicated servers it's better than ever.

Still three years away before it's 10 but I don't think my opinion will change on that (In contrast, I wanted H2:A from the get go)
The problem is that Halo 3 already looks pretty good aside from a few things here and there
HOOD
. If they did a remake I wouldn't complain but I don't think it's really necessary.

Please no...

Well that sounds a bit better. So are all the episodes on youtube? I've only seen the first so far.

The problem is that Halo 3 already looks pretty good aside from a few things here and there
HOOD
. If they did a remake I wouldn't complain but I don't think it's really necessary.

Locke just follows orders and the cutscene from H2A is him saying "I dont know why chief left, but ONI wants him back."

HTupolev

It will be ugly as hell in 2017.
What, is someone going to sneak away my Halo 3 disc and replace it with a copy where all the bipeds use the Lord Hood model?

Maybe 343i will release patch that does that to the 360 and MCC versions, to encourage everyone to buy the remastered version?

Locke isn't so bad. I'm liking him, Macer and Randall/Aiken the best. But like I said before launch, man is Colter bad at voice acting. Almost amateur hour against Keith David, and having people like John DiMaggio and Jennifer Hale on board for Halo 5, it's going to be crazy seeing the difference.

Nightfall would've been so much better as one single film. Too short with the week breaks detracting from the story overall.

i think its locke's team that really bothers me, along with the possibility that 343 could just replace chief With locke. which would be bullshit.

and the redesign of the ODST armor... 343 can you NOT change something for the sake of change please.

People Betraying for the sniper on bloodline every time.

Feels like halo

Was it 4v4? Shitty behaviour but I couldn't blame them at that player count. I had a 4v4 on it earlier and it was miserable. I didn't get the snipe so had to venture out. 10 seconds without seeing a player, 20 seconds, 30 seconSNIPED by the enemy. Rinse and repeat for several spawn cycles. When I got a snipe half way through the match it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Essentially, at that player count, it's only fun if you've got a sniper. At least at 8v8 there's vehicles and multiple players to distract and hamper snipers.

The DMR broke the map for big team but at least you could ping distant snipers. H2 BR doesn't have the range

Yep, at first I liked that they toned down the aim assist and made the BR projectile. But, the aiming feels terrible, movement is slow and the strafe is pretty muddy and sluggish as well. Overall just a bad feeling shooter, when you fail to get moving and shooting right, you've already failed, everything else in the game is a moot point after that.

I know you're not a fan of H3 anyway but I'm seeing the sensitivity complaint across various boards and threads. Overall, the port of Halo 3 as it stands has done a bit of a disservice to that game. Yes, It's beautiful at 60 FPS, 1080p, however, there are three glaring issues with its current state:

1) The audio mixing. The most grievous of the issues, wearing a headset sounds like a cement mixer of weapon audio, misplaced footsteps and background noise. Was moving me to nausea on Narrows earlier. Simply must be fixed.

2) The maps and settings. Radar Jammers? flares? Shield doors and attics? What were you thinking, 343? Plus, needs some sort of pro variant (MLG settings by another name) where radar is off, movement is 110, damage is 110 etc

3) The sensitivity congruence between H3 and the other games. The default sens of 3 feels roughly the same in CE, 2, 2:A and 4. In H3 it feels like Vaseline under the sticks. I lowered it to 2 and it feels about the same as 3 sens in the original H3. Low priority but they ought to readjust the sens ratings so 2 is 3 etc. stuff like that could put off newcomers to the game. I've already seen so many people saying they can't aim in H3 because of the sens. I'm sure there's deadzone issues too.

Just finished Halo 2 on Legendary. Two problems:

Terminal 14 is not unlocking even though I've collected the walking encyclopedia achievement.

The epilogue video did not play on campaign completion.

Other than that, I am extremely impressed by how nice H2A looks for the most part.

Ramirez

Yet CE still takes the most skill because of the better strafe, stricter hitboxes and smaller player models. I'm talking LAN vs LAN gameplay in this sense for objectivity. Halo 3 has the least aim assist sure, but it doesn't feel good to shoot, player movement is stiff, hitboxes are generous, and player models are large and easy to hit.

I haven't played Halo 3 at 60 FPS though, so take that into consideration.

That's why I left CE out, I've never played it over LAN and this netcode leaves a lot to be desired, but better than nothing I suppose. Point was though, the hit boxes are way more strict than the other Live enabled Halo's. H2 is gross, and I do not get the appeal.

HTupolev

I know you're not a fan of H3 anyway but I'm seeing the sensitivity complaint across various boards and threads. Overall, the port of Halo 3 as it stands has done a bit of a disservice to that game. Yes, It's beautiful at 60 FPS, 1080p, however, there are three glaring issues with its current state:

1) The audio mixing. The most grievous of the issues, wearing a headset sounds like a cement mixer of weapon audio, misplaced footsteps and background noise. Was moving me to nausea on Narrows earlier. Simply must be fixed.

2) The maps and settings. Radar Jammers? flares? Shield doors and attics? What were you thinking, 343? Plus, needs some sort of pro variant (MLG settings by another name) where radar is off, movement is 110, damage is 110 etc

3) The sensitivity congruence between H3 and the other games. The default sens of 3 feels roughly the same in CE, 2, 2:A and 4. In H3 it feels like Vaseline under the sticks. I lowered it to 2 and it feels about the same as 3 sens in the original H3. Low priority but they ought to readjust the sens ratings so 2 is 3 etc. stuff like that could put off newcomers to the game. I've already seen so many people saying they can't aim in H3 because of the sens. I'm sure there's deadzone issues too.
4) Fix the tone mapping so that luminance curves match the original, at least on the black side of the curve. Right now the game looks washed out.

Otherwise the issues are mostly small graphical niggles. Like how dynamic shadows don't cast correctly when their receiving surface is right next to closer geometry, resulting in weird outlines. And other such business.

Madness

i think its locke's team that really bothers me, along with the possibility that 343 could just replace chief With locke. which would be bullshit.

and the redesign of the ODST armor... 343 can you NOT change something for the sake of change please.

Oh definitely, his team is shit, especially that one asshole who speaks out of turn. Don't want to spoil. You just know when "straws are drawn", he'll try and eff everyone over.

343 isn't that arrogant to think they can replace Chief. Especially when their Palmer push didn't pan out. That being said, for me, the story of Halo is pretty much over as it is and so I don't really care where they take it. They've already ruined what Spartans were in my eyes.

On an unrelated note, I wouldn't really buy a Halo 3 anniversary. Part of the appeal is the fact that the campaigns are really dated. But playing Halo 3 at 1080p and 60fps and with better lighting, it looks pretty good. As much as I love the campaign I wouldn't rebuy it 3 years from now again, just to see it in next gen graphics. Same goes for multi-player. I mean we can play all the maps now. Do I really want to play a Halo 5 engine/gameplay version of Halo 3? Just my opinion though.

Tawpgun

Locke just follows orders and the cutscene from H2A is him saying "I dont know why chief left, but ONI wants him back."
Arbiter tells him chief going AWOL that: he has his reasons.

Locke responds with "I'm sure he does, and I intend to find out what they are"

I can totally see him starting out trying to take the chief in but then he realizes what chief is doing is right.

blamite

On the topic of Locke, I get really excited about Halo 5's story when I realized that Locke being part of ONI meant that his story would be a great way to brig Dare back, as some higher-up figure within ONI assigning missions or something. And then you'd see her and think, "oh yeah, I remember her from ODST, I wonder hat happened to the rest of those characters?" and then you'd end up fighting alongside some unknown Spartan 4's during the course of a mission and the surprise twist at the end is that it's the entire rest of the cast of ODST as Spartans (except Dutch)! And ven Vergil is there to be the adorable alien sidekick!

The real version of H5 isn't gonna be as good as this, is it?
4) Fix the tone mapping so that luminance curves match the original, at least on the black side of the curve. Right now the game looks washed out.

Otherwise the issues are mostly small graphical niggles. Like how dynamic shadows don't cast correctly when their receiving surface is right next to closer geometry, resulting in weird outlines. And other such business.

Okay, good, this isn't just me then. H3 is super washed out, it was the first thign I noticed when I loaded up the game. It's still a really good port but if it wasn't so washed out it would basicall be perfect.

Got an XBO MCC bundle at wamlart and i'm planning on buying GTAV and Fibbage. I'll see you online, BOIEEEEEEZ

in two weeks after mcc and the patch download

-Ryn

Banned
It sounds like there might be some hope for Locke after all. I really hop he uses his brain.
Let him be the one to kill Palmer who has gone on a quest for blood and lost her mind pushing buttons

It will be ugly as hell in 2017.
What, is someone going to sneak away my Halo 3 disc and replace it with a copy where all the bipeds use the Lord Hood model?

Maybe 343i will release patch that does that to the 360 and MCC versions, to encourage everyone to buy the remastered version?
The future of gaming

jJYeGIC.jpg

Just ran PoA in 8:59 on Legendary, maybe I can do the speed run achievement after all.
Do you have to beat all of the campaigns in 3 hours total or is it just per campaign?

It sounds like there might be some hope for Locke after all. I really hop he uses his brain.
Let him be the one to kill Palmer who has gone on a quest for blood and lost her mind pushing buttons

The future of gaming

Do you have to beat all of the campaigns in 3 hours total or is it just per campaign?

Per campaign. All 4 in 3 hours is mechanically impossible.

Ramirez

The future of gaming

3 hours per campaign.

Tawpgun

Getting really ticked off here. Is this game ever gonna be completley functional? Or are we doomed to have a broken MCC forever.

Cow

Did some legendary CE co-op with my brother. It only registered as completed on the account that was party leader... pretty annoying. The amount of things wrong with this game has me worried that it will never be fixed. Hope the next patch is soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom