• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Good luck man. Forgot about the beta armor. Guess I'm gonna have to marathon it.
The only memorable moments of the game for me (that weren't cutscenes) would be on Requiem when you leave the crash site and the music just perfectly ascends to show off this majestic view. Really disappointed that the game wasn't more open. The other moment would have to be the Star Wars level where you fly a space fighter through a trench. That was actually pretty cool.

Composer deserves to be counted as one of the great Halo levels across all the games, IMO. Got a nice mix of all types of combat. It's a shame that Midnight fizzles after the really fun space section.

I think how you rank the games also depends on what elements of the game you react most to--I find Reach far more tedious in places because while the level design is pretty great for large stretches, the sandbox just makes encounters less fun. Bullet-spongy enemies or not, I feel like I have far more options for engagement in Halo 4.

jem0208

Decided to have a break from Titanfall and try to play some Halo.

Got half way through a match before I quit due to lag. I don't understand how it's so bad, even if it does run on p2p half the time, the p2p matches have been some of the worst I have ever seen. I never had lag this bad on any of the previous Halos...

TheOddOne

Halo is dad, Star Wars is Star Fox.
animation1azzc3.gif

Anyone playing Matchmaking still is silly. Unless you just picked up the game, or you dont read the internet you have no excuse.

I havent played matchmaking since the 14th and I won't touch it until it's fixed. Shit is way too frustrating to keep trying when you know it's broken

Titanfall on the otherhand is a blast.

Justrekt

Neo Member
Anyone playing Matchmaking still is silly. Unless you just picked up the game, or you dont read the internet you have no excuse.

I havent played matchmaking since the 14th and I won't touch it until it's fixed. Shit is way too frustrating to keep trying when you know it's broken

What, you don't like people going into matchmaking everyday, then complaining about how broken it is...everyday?

jem0208

Yup. This is easily going to keep me entertained until the Halo 5 beta comes out.

I'm loving how mobile you are, really glad Halo 5 is at least taking a step in this direction. The titan dash is really awesome. If 5 can replicate that feeling well then it could be great.

No, it's just one control scheme means it's auto enabled if you zoom in.

No, no. You're not outright disabling Stabilizers. How it works with their default configuration is that Stabilizers and Aim Down Smart Scopes are mapped to the same button, so that when you scope in, you also hover in place, presumably to help refine your aim while airborne. You can't outright disable Stabilizers as far as I can tell, but you can have it mapped to a separate button, meaning it's possible to zoom and stabilize separately or differently depending on your playstyle. I wouldn't really consider that a "difference on spawn," that strikes me as more of an Auto Look Centering sort of option for beginners so that you can get more practice lining up your shots in combat at the cost of turning into a clay pigeon.

You guys slay me.

You really think there will be a method, other than ADSing while airborne, to activate stabilizers?

Do you honestly think, even though holding crouch while airborne activates ground pound, that crouch jump will still exist?

Do you still believe no descope in Halo 4 was just a bug?

If anyone is near a Hastings, the NECA Master Chief figure is apparently available to buy. Guess after months of delays they just decided to release it with no fanfare.

jem0208

You guys slay me.

You really think there will be a method, other than ADSing while airborne, to activate stabilizers?

Do you honestly think, even though holding crouch while airborne activates ground pound, that crouch jump will still exist?

Do you still believe no descope in Halo 4 was just a bug?

Well considering the stabilizers are a feature designed to be used whilst scoped, no. However I'm pretty fucking certain that you can activate them manually:

CkzFJ6C.png

As for crouch jumping, no we don't know for certain however Quinn DelHoyo said this:
There is still skill involved with Clamber. When combined with crouch or spring jump, it can get pretty crazy where players can get to. Not to mention chaining thruster on top of that.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.p...r-beta-reveal-discussion/page-159#entry339311

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Quin on auto stabilizers:
"Jump shots and mid-air quick scope shots have been maintained as long as you turn auto-Stabilizers off. To your inconsistency point, the toggle doesn't just turn off the ability to Stabilize. So that some players have a toy and others do not. It changes it so that the user has more control over when to jump and fall normally or when they want to stabilize by making it a manual on/off. Think of it as automatic versus manual transmission in racing games."

Quin on crouch jump:

I forgot to mention that crouch jumping is kinda borked in the beta if you hold to crouch. This is indeed due to Ground Pound. We already are working on fixing that because you know, crouch jumping is awesome!

So we can see that players WILL be able to spawn with or without stabilizers, meaning players will have different abilities off spawn, meaning "Equal Starts" in Halo 5 is bullshit.

As for crouch jump, I'm guessing it will go the same way of dedicated servers for custom games that Quin CONFIRMED months before the MCC release.

Nowise10

Halo 3 is the easiest Legendary. Nice time on that run though.

Pretty sure I did Halo 4 solo legendary in like 25 deaths. Halo 3 was atleast 50 deaths. Halo 2 atleast 200. Halo:CE probably 150. Only times I really die in Halo 4 are because of bad design. AKA the scattershot and its damage that seems to fluctuate every shot. Or Promethean Knights with a Binary Rifle.

343 take note that every sniper enemy in previous Halo's can be killed in one shot - you know, to balance it out. These knights take two clips of a DMR/Lightrifle, and 95% of the time they just teleport when getting shot at, so you end up wasting like 3 clips, and that is if they haven't sniped you already. Probably one of the most frustrating enemies in any FPS I've played.

While I agree sprint is bullocks and hurts more than helps, what's the point of debating it when they have already designed maps around it and were adamant on keeping it? At least they are trying to nerf it for some balance...

While I agree sprint is bullocks and hurts more than helps, what's the point of debating it when they have already designed maps around it and were adamant on keeping it? At least they are trying to nerf it for some balance...

they were adamant on ignoring the points against it, honestly it should drain your shields to run away

Quin on crouch jump:

So we can see that players WILL be able to spawn with or without stabilizers, meaning players will have different abilities off spawn, meaning "Equal Starts" in Halo 5 is bullshit.

As for crouch jump, I'm guessing it will go the same way of dedicated servers for custom games that Quin CONFIRMED months before the MCC release.

Umm in that quote he says everyone will have it. You misread.

jem0208

Did you literally completely ignore everything past " turn auto-Stabilizers off."

It says RIGHT THERE that everyone will have it. Only that with auto stabilizers off you will have to press a button to enable stabilizers. Which according to the control scheme image I posted above is the sprint button.

You are literally ignoring direct evidence. You're even posting evidence which completely contradicts what you're saying.

jem0208

Maybe a silly question but what exactly are stabilisers and what so they do?

It's like a hover I think. Basically means you can float whilst aiming if you want to. Not sure I see the use really...

Could do some weird things like jump so that your head is peeking over a wall then enable stabilizers and take a few pot shots.

He literally said you can turn auto stabilizers off and fall normally while ADSing. You guys are living in fantasy world.

Holy shit. I can't.

You have to be trolling, no one can be this dense.

Everyone here just eating up what 343 says as gospel. disgusting that people cannot think for themselves.

Who are you referring to here? How dare you make an open ended statement without directly saying exactly who you are talking about!?! Are you literally calling us all dumbasses?!?!?!?!?!111

Someone said

Stabilizers are awful, the completely change the dynamic of zooming and longitudinal combat. Think about all the jumping shots that have happened in the past. Vertical quickscopes are gone, and a personal-toggle would just add inconsistency. ADS may be a visual change to Zooming in Halo, but Stabilizers are not. They need to be removed.

Quin responded

Jump shots and mid-air quick scope shots have been maintained as long as you turn auto-Stabilizers off. To your inconsistency point, the toggle doesn't just turn off the ability to Stabilize. So that some players have a toy and others do not. It changes it so that the user has more control over when to jump and fall normally or when they want to stabilize by making it a manual on/off. Think of it as automatic versus manual transmission in racing games.

How am I misreading this? Someone asks if they can still scope while falling normally. Quin says yes as long as you turn stabilizers off.

jem0208

Someone said

Quin responded

How am I misreading this? Someone asks if they can still scope while falling normally. Quin says yes as long as you turn stabilizers off.

As long as you turn auto-stabilizers off.

He say's the toggle doesn't turn off the ability to stabilize.

You can still manually enable them by pressing sprint whilst scoping in the air:

CkzFJ6C.png

Someone said

Quin responded

Your are correct, however if auto stabilizers are off you can still hover aim but use a another button for it instead of both features being bound to the same button press.

He isn't saying one player can do it and the other cannot.

TheOddOne

If you actually look at the options, you notice that there are all some form of "auto" options; which gives you the option to turn specific feats like maintaining sprint on or off. You assume that those options take way from the equal starts. The problem with that logic is that the people who turn off those mobility options still have the same starting traits as those who do turn them on, but they have to do it manually. They can still maintain sprint, auto-stabilize, and clamber with the controller like somebody who has them on auto-mode. It would be unequal if those options were trump cards, and took away power from other users; but that isn’t the case.

I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Still not a fan of stabilizers regardless though.

They should map ground pound to holding sprint while airborne so we can still hold to crouch jump and Gandhi hop.

I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Still not a fan of stabilizers regardless though.

They should map ground pound to holding sprint while airborne so we can still hold to crouch jump and Gandhi hop.

I feel a d pad press for ground pound would be alright as well.

Although I think ground pound is the most worthless and silly addition... They could just bring back falling melee hits being more effective, that way you could thrust to the ground at an enemy and melee for more damage.

Regardless, splash damage on the ground pound is just absurd and needs to go.

The d pad, in my opinion, should be used for "passive" abilities like cycling grenade types or toggling a flashlight on or off. Things that don't need to be done in the heat of battle are ideal for the d pad, not something like ground pound that requires quick timing and holding a button down.

jem0208

The d pad, in my opinion, should be used for "passive" abilities like cycling grenade types or toggling a flashlight on or off. Things that don't need to be done in the heat of battle are ideal for the d pad, not something like ground pound that requires quick timing and holding a button down.
I think I agree. Holding down a dpad button would be awkward and annoying. Holding sprint would be the best solution imo.

Although I think ground pound is the most worthless and silly addition... They could just bring back falling melee his being more effective, that way you could thrust to the ground and melee for more damage.

Regardless splash damage on the ground pound is just absurd and needs to go.

Ground pound really is an odd addition. I'd rather have some form of quick fall like thrusting towards the ground. It does no damage but allows you to very quickly drop.

I really hope that they don't resort to toggle crouch. That would be horrible.
#togglecrouchmasterrace

I've always preferred it actually. Hated holding down the stick when sneaking around.

Edit: maybe if we convince them to remove hold to clamber then holding jump in the air could be ground pound.

If they can get all this silly new shit balanced before launch, I could see having manual enabled as being a skill gap of sorts.

If you know the movement and have it all mastered you could be a major force in a match.

Big if however.

If they can get all this silly new shit balanced before launch, I could see having manual enabled as being a skill gap of sorts.

If you know the movement and have it all mastered you could be a major force in a match.

Big if however.

In my opinion, they are adding a mountain of complexity with a molehill of depth. Halo 5 is a complicated game.

In my opinion, they are adding a mountain of complexity with a molehill of depth. Halo 5 is a complicated game.
I agree with you. I'd be a lot happier to not have all this gimmicky shit involved. But we both know our opinions won't change shit.

Might as well try see some positives.

But again I gotta get some hands on time with it to see how it plays.

jem0208

Big if however.

I don't think it'll be that hard to balance. Ground pound already has a massive risk involved and the reward isn't that large.

I think the hardest thing to balance will be the shoulder check. It's either going to be really OP and annoying, or completely useless...

I kinda agree actually. Some of the stuff they added just seems a bit pointless. I love the look of the thrusters though, they look fantastic. I think they're really going to spice up the multiplayer in a very positive way.

However ground pound and charge just seem a bit... pointless.

It does look like a lot of fun though, and I guess they couldn't stray too far from the Halo formula. But I kinda wish they went a bit all out with the movement, I would have loved to see a double jump mechanic.

Computer

Someone said

Quin responded

Turn off the stupid shit we put into the game to play more like classic Halo but you will be at a disadvantage to all other players that can hover and shoot. 343 for ya. I cant even

I am so use to crouch jumping I am going to ground pound just about every time I jump.

Is it just me or is that red circle that appears underneath you every time you jump distracting and annoying?

Turn off the stupid shit we put into the game to play more like classic Halo but you will be at a disadvantage to all other players that can hover and shoot. 343 for ya. I cant even

Apparently, you can manually activate stabilizer while airborne ADSing with the Sprint button if you turn auto-strabilizers off.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Anyone play BF4?

I'm trying to decide between buying BF4+Premium for $45 or BF4+Killer instinct Ultra for $40?

Is premium worth it??

Yep. Especially for the price it's at right now.

20 maps, new weapons, and they are hinting that the DLC stuff is going to continue through 2015.

Omni

Anyone play BF4?

I'm trying to decide between buying BF4+Premium for $45 or BF4+Killer instinct Ultra for $40?

Is premium worth it??

For price/content? Absolutely. There's a hell of a lot there. But the problem with Premium is that if you're as late as you are here, then you probably won't get your money's worth. At least on the console side of things because it seems like the newest map packs are always most popular. So buying all four map packs right now might be a bit wasteful because you'd be lucky to find games on half of them.

At least in my experience. Sometimes you get lucky and there's a few servers going. If it's on sale though, you might as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom